• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Text 60006 to report a fare dodger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm not quite au fait with all the new technology out today but why would Sir Ralph Wedgwood be getting involved with fare dodging?

:lol::lol::lol:

Also, this 1549 off Sheringham that was mentioned, is it booked to have a 170 on it then? Would be interesting to go on a train up that line with declassified First Class on it, although equally I'll be quite happy with a 156.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
I don't see why so many people are against this... it's helping you have a say, heck - you're all complaining that the company is actually doing something about fare evasion, and letting you become involved...

It's better than sitting back knowing someone's committing an offence, and not being able to do anything.

How do you know ?

The other day, I boarded at Sheffield and my ticket was checked. However, the carriage was rather cold so, as we stopped at Chesterfield, I moved down to the next one. Then the guard came through asking for 'tickets from Chesterfield'. I didn't show my ticket again. Anyone sitting nearby could know I had boarded at Chesterfield and was fare dodging but they would be wrong.

If you really do somehow know, there is nothing stopping you having a word with the guard (unless you are on a DOO train of course ;))

jon0844

Veteran Member
Oh, you'll know. Just keep your TV tuned to Sky News for the 'Breaking News'... :)

12CSVT

Established Member
you're all complaining that the company is actually doing something about fare evasion

I think alleged fare dodging might be a better description.

Unless you are fully trained in revenue protection, how do you know whether the person next to has a valid ticket ?

TrenHotel

Is there a number to text to report the directors of TOCs who leave stations unstaffed, trains short of carriages and are helping themselves to large amounts of public subsidy?

That was my first thought when I first saw that notice on a stinking heap of an NXEA train to an unstaffed Waltham Cross a couple of years back.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Unless you are fully trained in revenue protection, how do you know whether the person next to has a valid ticket ?

Even staff that are "fully trained" by some TOCs don't know if the person next to them has a valid ticket :D

pmgarvey

So what do you do if you spot someone texting to 60006

Interesting one this. The services where most people are fare-dodging are also the ones where the most people would feel at risk if they were seen texting the number. I wouldn't use it on the last train between Blackpool and Victoria.

jon0844

Veteran Member
How would anyone know you were texting that number? Few people talk on their mobile phones anymore, they're playing Angry Birds, using BBM, emailing, updating Facebook, Tweeting and loads of things that would involve using your phone almost all the time on a train journey.

There's no way on earth anyone would know you were texting that number! Well, unless the person concerned is sitting right next to you and watching you typing!

Now if you had to phone a number and speak to someone and then talk in front of fellow passengers, it might be somewhat more obvious...

Status
Not open for further replies.