• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW 2024 Timetable consultation.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Hello
Thank you for downloading the proposed timetables but unfortunately, like on the TfW website, I am unable to read this type of file on my tablet. Is there a way of viewing the timetables as PDF files?
Have you got Google Sheets (for Android) or Apple Numbers (iOS) installed? They'll read xlxs files and give a better experience than a pdf.

I've attached a pdf produced by the former.

Edit:I thought I had attached but the forum software isn't showing it for some reason. I'll try again later.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
In terms of units, currently you’ll find about 15 different 158’s out of 24 travel on the Cambrian over the course of a day.
With 21 ERTMS 197’s and then being more contained to the Cambrian than the 158’s there should be plenty of rolling stock to cover the work and have more 4 cars running.
Not wanting to take this off topic, but out of interest what do the other 9 158s not booked for Cambrian do? I assume about 4 of them are booked for maintenance but do the other have diagrams or just used where needed - e.g some turn up on random journeys like Pembroke Dock, Maesteg and of course Manchester/Holyhead to South Wales.

Lurcheroo

Not wanting to take this off topic, but out of interest what do the other 9 158s not booked for Cambrian do? I assume about 4 of them are booked for maintenance but do the other have diagrams or just used where needed - e.g some turn up on random journeys like Pembroke Dock, Maesteg and of course Manchester/Holyhead to South Wales.
Not sure entirely, but They work to Birmingham then to Holyhead, back to Birmingham, then to Aber. There’s at least one that comes from Crewe in the morning too.

Tomos y Tanc

How often do "consultations" result in changes being taken on board?
Sometimes there are tweaks, major changes not so much. Of course it's much easier for TFW which is the only operator over much of its network to fine-tune things than it is on lines used by multiple TOCs so there could be some (minor) changes.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Following the change over to ETCS, they were necessarily spread out just enough that every depot that doesn't have Cambrian work got at least a little bit of work on them as a minimum. Obviously with the incoming stock that's not really an issue.

Krokodil

Established Member
We both have travelled a fair bit on the 197’s and quite like them and think we will use the train much more during the summer as they have functioning air conditioning.
I wouldn't bet on that. They're not as bad as 158s but I remember a point last year when they were dropping like flies. Mothers having to strip babies to stop them overheating and at least one unit returned ECS from Manchester because the guard declared the heat levels unsafe. Loss of a/c is manageable where you've got the spare capacity to move the passengers into another vehicle, but with the rammed trains commonly experienced in North Wales & Borders you can't safely run the train.

vicbury

At the end of the day if that strategy were workable they wouldn't be cutting one of the services.

Look at it this way. TfW took a decision to spend significantly more in real terms on a restructure of the rail services company's staff terms, mainly by way of needing a big increase in staff numbers. This was done with the laudable objectives of improving staff retention and morale, increasing reliability by reducing self-inflicted delays and cancellations due to crew shortages, and running more services both all week in certain areas and also in particular on Sundays. These objectives broadly are being met over the course of this and next financial year. Unfortunately, the cost of these measures in real terms is very high, and it's obvious that this means that with a background in softer margins and tighter than expected budgets these are the easiest targets.

On balance the approach is likely a lot better than in England where industrial action and appalling productivity are making everything worse.
Does this mean trouble ahead once the existing pay agreements expire if TfW haven't found a way of increasing revenue by then?

Krokodil

Established Member
Does this mean trouble ahead once the existing pay agreements expire if TfW haven't found a way of increasing revenue by then?
They're multi-year deals which does buy some time before such issues need to be discussed. One does wonder about the Valley Lines though, drivers there are now effectively paid twice what a Manchester Metrolink driver gets, even though they too will shortly be driving trams. Metrolink doesn't have conductors either. Given the increase in staffing required for doubling service frequencies, how sustainable will it be?

Jez

Established Member
Following the change over to ETCS, they were necessarily spread out just enough that every depot that doesn't have Cambrian work got at least a little bit of work on them as a minimum. Obviously with the incoming stock that's not really an issue.
I remember before the Covid timetable there used to 3 diagrams outside of the Cambrian/Birmingham/Holyhead route that were based in the South. This included various runs in South Wales to Maesteg, Ebbw Vale, daytime Fishguard boat train plus the early evening Cardiff-Fishguard. I believe one stayed at Carmarthen overnight and one at Canton. One returned North in the evening. At weekends they did a few Manchester-Milfords. So almost every route they could work they were booked for. Now it just seems random ad hoc usage. Mainly covering for 197s where needed.

Lurcheroo

I wouldn't bet on that. They're not as bad as 158s but I remember a point last year when they were dropping like flies. Mothers having to strip babies to stop them overheating and at least one unit returned ECS from Manchester because the guard declared the heat levels unsafe. Loss of a/c is manageable where you've got the spare capacity to move the passengers into another vehicle, but with the rammed trains commonly experienced in North Wales & Borders you can't safely run the train.
Well yes of course, if the A/C isn’t reliable enough on the 197’s then we’re really doomed.

I’ve seen the same of 175’s in regards to that. No opening windows and No A/C would have been a no go for me too in honesty.

L401CJF

Established Member
I use it from Frodsham to Liverpool and a lot of people use it from there, but it's disappointing that direct services from Liverpool to North and South Wales that were promised are still not there, years later.
I agree it is disappointing, but only because it was promised in the first place. If it wasn't promised, people wouldn't have got their hopes up (and then been disappointed following the change of plans). Given that the issues preventing it happening, bar the lack of units available, is all infrastructure related ie signalling constraints between Wrexham/Shrewsbury/Marches and the foot crossing related issues along the coast, it should never have been promised in the first place without being checked as possible! (Or at least committing funds to solve said problems)

Lurcheroo

That’s exactly what I do from mid Wales- I drive from Aberdyfi to Ebbw Vale or Abercynon depending on my mood and take the train to Cardiff. (Abergavenny is too expensive)
When you say mid wales, is that heart of wales or Cambrian ? And why not catch the train from a local station ?
Cost or convenience?
Just curious is all. Off peak open return from Newtown to Cardiff (what I would consider mid wales) is over £80 which is quite a lot.

DelW

Established Member
When you say mid wales, is that heart of wales or Cambrian ? And why not catch the train from a local station ?
Cost or convenience?
The post you quoted referred to driving "from Aberdyfi" ;)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Cost or convenience?
Just curious is all. Off peak open return from Newtown to Cardiff (what I would consider mid wales) is over £80 which is quite a lot.
Sadly if you use the first service which originates at Barmouth you get a 20 minute wait at both Machynlleth and Shrewsbury, and the roundabout nature of the route means you reach Cardiff at 1153.

From Brecon it's not quite so bad as the bus is actually direct and only takes 1h 50m to Cardiff, but if you've got to park anyway I can see why you'd want to park at somewhere like Abercynon for the frequency of trains rather than an hourly bus.

Envoy

Established Member
Cost or convenience?
Over £80 - that’s without splitting the ticket - something that the TfW website won’t tell you = so don’t use them.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Over £80 - that’s without splitting the ticket - something that the TfW website won’t tell you = so don’t use them.
Pretty much all enthusiasts and forum members will of course already know that. Most of the general public in these areas won't. So they'll either get a rubbish overpriced split from trainline or buy their ticket from the machine and think that's just the price.

Of course, some of the conductors and ticket office staff at Machynlleth may actually offer splits in practice, but formally they don't do so.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I agree it is disappointing, but only because it was promised in the first place. If it wasn't promised, people wouldn't have got their hopes up (and then been disappointed following the change of plans). Given that the issues preventing it happening, bar the lack of units available, is all infrastructure related ie signalling constraints between Wrexham/Shrewsbury/Marches and the foot crossing related issues along the coast, it should never have been promised in the first place without being checked as possible! (Or at least committing funds to solve said problems)
Well that true, however it's not unreasonable for people of Liverpool and North Wales to expect direct services as they always did in the past. If they go to Manchester they should be going to Liverpool, which is much closer.

peter166

Have you got Google Sheets (for Android) or Apple Numbers (iOS) installed? They'll read xlxs files and give a better experience than a pdf.

I've attached a pdf produced by the former.

Edit:I thought I had attached but the forum software isn't showing it for some reason. I'll try again later
Thank you for trying and the suggestion to use Google Sheets which has been successful.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
I believe there are 20 diagrams. One does 1W92, 1V97 and 1W98. If you follow the workings, I think one of the sets on 1I04 and 1I22 never goes on the Cambrian because it forms 1D21 at 1930. So far as I can tell, all the others go through Machynlleth at least once.

Krokodil

Established Member
I’ve seen the same of 175’s in regards to that.
At least it was rare for 175s to play up. Occasionally the heating would stick on during a hot day (presumably a faulty sensor or something) but it was exceptional. Last year the 197s really did drop like flies. In theory they're supposed to manage six degrees below ambient (as 158s are supposed to) but they weren't even doing that.

and the foot crossing related issues along the coast, it should never have been promised in the first place without being checked as possible!
If you'd asked Network Rail in 2018 about extra paths along the coast, what would their answer have been? It's possible that Network Rail have become more jittery over the last few years, particularly because there have been multiple fatalities there, so their answer might have been "yes" in the past but is now a "no".

Of course, some of the conductors and ticket office staff at Machynlleth may actually offer splits in practice, but formally they don't do so.
Or offer rover tickets. An Explore Wales ticket is cheaper than a return from North Wales to Cardiff, so long as the passenger will be returning within 8 days. On top of which they've got two other days of effectively free travel on trains and buses. Likewise for some journeys a North Wales two zone rover is cheaper than a day return (for those who don't hold railcards), and again it'll save them their bus fares too.

One does 1W92, 1V97 and 1W98.
1W92 is very much a random unit generator. Anything and everything seems to turn up on it.

Envoy

Established Member
Pretty much all enthusiasts and forum members will of course already know that. Most of the general public in these areas won't. So they'll either get a rubbish overpriced split from trainline or buy their ticket from the machine and think that's just the price.

Of the split sites, Trainline often comes in cheapest because it tends to have the lowest commission.

If most people are unaware of doing the splits to get the price down, they may well not use the railway at all and go by car. I know of someone who wanted to make a return trip from Cardiff to Carlisle & did not know about splits. They went to the TfW website and put in for the journey and a ridiculously high price appeared. Needless to say they drove & the railway lost revenue.

Tom125

Cost or convenience?
Cost primary factor, my car does 500 miles plus to a £50 tank, Ebbw Vale is 2 hours 15 mins one way and 200 mile return, A valley lines station return cancels out the cost of parking in Cardiff, reliability of the Cambrian second factor- long waits at Tallerdig if trains are late, reliability of connections at Shrewsbury on the Marches line - some Northbound are 6-8 minutes and frequently late and unreliable and if you miss the Cambrian connection you’re stuck for 2 hours- it’s very poor that connections aren’t guaranteed, it’s a real barrier.

Sadly we don’t provide the environment in the UK to use rail. When I lived in Zurich, you could catch a train to a local junction station, it would be on time and your connection would be on the next platform waiting to take you on the branch line- that provides the reliability to encourage rail use.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Cost primary factor, my car does 500 miles plus to a £50 tank, Ebbw Vale is 2 hours 15 mins one way and 200 mile return, A valley lines station return cancels out the cost of parking in Cardiff, reliability of the Cambrian second factor- long waits at Tallerdig if trains are late, reliability of connections at Shrewsbury on the Marches line - some Northbound are 6-8 minutes and frequently late and unreliable and if you miss the Cambrian connection you’re stuck for 2 hours- it’s very poor that connections aren’t guaranteed, it’s a real barrier.

Sadly we don’t provide the environment in the UK to use rail. When I lived in Zurich, you could catch a train to a local junction station, it would be on time and your connection would be on the next platform waiting to take you on the branch line- that provides the reliability to encourage rail use.
If you ask the guard, they will ring control and the connection onto the Cambrian will usually be held for up to 10 minutes if there is a two hour gap. Anything longer than that causes numerous reactionary delays on the single line.

Llandudno

Established Member
At least when/if you miss your connection you get your money back!

Jez

Established Member
I believe there are 20 diagrams. One does 1W92, 1V97 and 1W98. If you follow the workings, I think one of the sets on 1I04 and 1I22 never goes on the Cambrian because it forms 1D21 at 1930. So far as I can tell, all the others go through Machynlleth at least once.
Thank you. For some reason I thought the diagram that starts with 1W92 had switched to the 197 now.

Krokodil

Established Member
Thank you. For some reason I thought the diagram that starts with 1W92 had switched to the 197 now.
STP diagrams are indeed booked 197, so it's not a Control substitution when one turns up.

Tomos y Tanc

Well that true, however it's not unreasonable for people of Liverpool and North Wales to expect direct services as they always did in the past. If they go to Manchester they should be going to Liverpool, which is much closer.
While that last sentence is obviously true, it's four decades since the partial closure of the Halton Curve meant that north Wales to Liverpool direct services were ended so "as they always did in the distant past" might be a better way of putting it!

Re-opening the curve to passenger trains was something of a no-brainer but, as always, securing even the smallest of investments outside the south-east of England was a hard grind for the Welsh Government and the Liverpool / Merseyside mayors. The promises of Llandudno, Shrewsbury & Cardiff services helped juice up the business case so it was good politics at the time and they will, no doubt, eventually happen.

Envoy

Established Member
If you ask the guard, they will ring control and the connection onto the Cambrian will usually be held for up to 10 minutes if there is a two hour gap. Anything longer than that causes numerous reactionary delays on the single line.
What normal passenger is going to assume that you have to ask the guard to phone ahead to get them to hold a connection? I always assumed that at Shrewsbury and other interchange stations that they would have known the position of a late running train and would hold a connection knowing that people would be switching routes. Perhaps this explains why trains to west Wales have been despatched from Cardiff Central just as those from Manchester are arriving on an adjoining platform. Sounds like they just don’t care.

I really do wonder why TfW are delaying the start of the Liverpool to Cardiff service as I am sure it would be very popular.