• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anamyd

On Moderation
Yes. it is great to see progress in the new fleet arriving.
I suppose the 170s qualify as part of the new fleet, as they (along with the Mark 4s and 230s) will be staying long term alongside the 197s, 231s, 398s and 756s :p

anamyd

On Moderation
I noticed this evening that 170272 still had its "first class" cabin seemingly untouched, and could see the lamps and even... curtains! I'm guessing that they're running with them declassified to standard...?

craigybagel

Established Member
170s and pacers shouldn't need to work together anyway as the pacers are apparently only being used on Cardiff Valley/Local services from the timetable change, mainly the Rhymney line I think. 170s are working Ebbw Vale, Maesteg and Cheltenham so not the proper valley lines so they shouldn't need to interact with pacers. .

You may well see 170s traveling between Canton and Cardiff Central attached to Valleys units. That does happen at present - though it will only be possible with 150s and 153s for the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited:

anamyd

On Moderation
All this going back and forth has been tiring me out; this means that I won't be capturing video of 170273 coming back today. I think I'm now going to wait until the next Tyseley to Canton move (whenever that may be). If anyone knows of any 170/2s other than 170202 and 170272 entering service before the 16/12/19, please can they let me know...? Thanks in advance :)

Brissle Girl

Established Member
All this going back and forth has been tiring me out; this means that I won't be capturing video of 170273 coming back today. I think I'm now going to wait until the next Tyseley to Canton move (whenever that may be). If anyone knows of any 170/2s other than 170202 and 170272 entering service before the 16/12/19, please can they let me know...? Thanks in advance :)
I guess at what point does movement of these units switch from newsworthy (first one), through mildly interesting (maybe the next few), to somewhat unremarkable. I suspect given your comment about the lack of spotters for more recent ones we've reached that point except for the most hard core of number enthusiasts, both in terms of photographing them and indeed reporting on them on a thread such as this.

anamyd

On Moderation
I guess at what point does movement of these units switch from newsworthy (first one), through mildly interesting (maybe the next few), to somewhat unremarkable. I suspect given your comment about the lack of spotters for more recent ones we've reached that point except for the most hard core of number enthusiasts, both in terms of photographing them and indeed reporting on them on a thread such as this.
You probably have a point; nethertheless I did in fact end up recording video of 170273 coming back to Cardiff afterall :lol:

Last edited:

anamyd

On Moderation
I now have video footage of the following deliveries:

206 (+270 re-delivery)
208+201
(272 re-delivery)

(273 re-delivery)

...but I don't have anything for 203. does anyone have or know of anything for 203...? :p

anamyd

On Moderation
How many 170s are now in Wales and how many are TfW waiting for? Are there more 153s to come too?
10 170/2s are based in Wales (2-cars 270/272/273 and 3-cars 201/202/203/204/206/207/208).

202 went into service on 12/11/19 and 272 went into service on 13/11/19. I believe that the other 8 will start to enter service from 16/12/19.

3-car 205, the only one left at Tyseley, now seems to be going to Central Rivers on the 17th, then it will transfer to TfW
( https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00206/2019-12-17/detailed ), and GA are keeping 2-car 271 based in Norwich until late January / early February 2020.

Another 5 153s have transferred from GA, bringing TfW's total number of those up to 18, however the 5 GA ones haven't gone into service yet. I believe that they're undergoing work at Landore and possibly one at Canton. TfW reckon that they'll also be getting a further 4 153s from WMT, but I can't see how that could happen...

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
...which tallies with an instruction we have whereby if you have to assist a Cl14X you may only couple mechanically not electrically.

I had another look at the notice - it's not permitted under any circumstances at TfW. Even for a rescue, a 14x must not be in any part of the formation.

anamyd

On Moderation
Have any 170s entered service with TfW other than 170202 and 170272...? The other ones will start to enter service tomorrow, right...?

anamyd

On Moderation

I found this clip from the 12/12/19 :p

Customer expresses appreciation of "new" Class 170 train(s).

TfW's first (passenger) service with a Class 170 arrives in Cardiff Central from Ebbw Vale.
Er, do you mind telling us what you think about the "new" train(s)...?

Well, we got on it in um, Newbridge this morning, and, very very comfortable, really warm, and plenty of legroom, and I think it's a fantastic train.
I'll probably agree with her after I get my first ride on one in the new year :p Maybe except the legroom though, but then again I'm 6' 3" tall...

Last edited:

Nick Ashwell

I'll probably agree with her after I get my first ride on one in the new year :p Maybe except the legroom though, but then again I'm 6' 3" tall...

I think unless you're short the leg room is awful full stop, I'm only 5' 11" and have issues on XC 170s that I catch on a regular basis

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think unless you're short the leg room is awful full stop, I'm only 5' 11" and have issues on XC 170s that I catch on a regular basis

Which 170s are these? There are some that have 10 rows in the centre section on which legroom is OKish (i.e. give or take the priority row you have either a bay or two airline seats aligned with each window), and there are some with 11 rows (the ex-MML ones) and those are awful, about the same as 153s.

Chiltern's are all 10 rows, but I've lost track of where the others ended up and if any have been changed.

Nick Ashwell

Which 170s are these? There are some that have 10 rows in the centre section on which legroom is OKish (i.e. give or take the priority row you have either a bay or two airline seats aligned with each window), and there are some with 11 rows (the ex-MML ones) and those are awful, about the same as 153s.

Chiltern's are all 10 rows, but I've lost track of where the others ended up and if any have been changed.

Honestly I don't know, it may also be the fact that I've got fairly long legs for my height. Its only an issue when I'm sat with someone rather than when on my own angling my legs

DannyMich2018

Honestly I don't know, it may also be the fact that I've got fairly long legs for my height. Its only an issue when I'm sat with someone rather than when on my own angling my legs
I agree. We have entirely Cross Country Class170s from my station and the leg room in some (not all) of the airline seats is very poor.

anamyd

On Moderation
the ex-MML "11-row" ones are the 170/1s if that helps

anamyd

On Moderation
170272 1625 Cardiff Cen to Cheltenham
170202 1629 Cardiff Cen to Ebbw Vale
thanks for that :) still just those two in use until tomorrow I take it, when at least some of 201/203/204/206/207/208/270/273 will enter passenger service...?

anamyd

On Moderation
The second trip of the Ebbw Vale terminated Cross Keys due failure and returned ECS to Canton
Uh oh... Teething problems, huh...? I'm guessing we'll see how reliable some of the other units are tomorrow...?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
the ex-MML "11-row" ones are the 170/1s if that helps

There are also two types of seat base used (the cushions are mostly the same across all of them other than some Chiltern units). Some 170s (ScotRail, Chiltern) use the Chapman plastic base which curves in at the sides and has a niche (if your knees will sit together). This creates more apparent legroom. Some others (ex-MML and ex-CT) use a different, more solid metal base which is very square and quite thick and does not offer as much space.

anamyd

On Moderation
There are also two types of seat base used (the cushions are mostly the same across all of them other than some Chiltern units). Some 170s (ScotRail, Chiltern) use the Chapman plastic base which curves in at the sides and has a niche (if your knees will sit together). This creates more apparent legroom. Some others (ex-MML and ex-CT) use a different, more solid metal base which is very square and quite thick and does not offer as much space.
Very well observed! Until my first ride on a TfW 170 in the new year, I've only been on XC and WMT 170s (including a WMT one with a table missing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.