• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW class 398 Stadler Citylink tram trains

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Last Hurrah

South Wales Metro Update 16 June . .

Yellow Front Ends are a temporary measure to allow early testing - Headlights need to be adjusted to comply with “Vehicle Visibility Legislation”

javelin

This is well-known legislation, so you wonder why they weren't fitted with compliant headlights in the first place.

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
Any chance of these 398’s being able to get working the City Line (Radyr > Coryton) sooner rather than later? If so, would they have enough battery power to do the non electrified bit and get back to the wires again?

D365

Veteran Member
The requirements for non-yellow front ends are very specific, so it sounds like a vehicle assessor wasn’t able to validate the Class 398’s compliance at this time.

Last edited:

twpsaesneg

One thing the videos show is that despite hitting every branch on the ugly tree with regards to the front end, the new units do seem to make full use of the loading gauge and appear spacious and bright inside. They appeared deceptively narrow when viewed with no platforms adjacent.

rf_ioliver

OK, I have to admit that these actually look very nice - was expecting something more "tram-like". I agree with another poster who said that these units actually take advantage of the loading gauge.
As for the yellow front end - after seeing the videos (thanks!) what is all the fuss about - I was honestly expecting something like the old electric units from NSE but in some bizarre neon yellow :) given the comments - it looks fine, nothing horrendous about it.

Western 52

OK, I have to admit that these actually look very nice - was expecting something more "tram-like". I agree with another poster who said that these units actually take advantage of the loading gauge.
As for the yellow front end - after seeing the videos (thanks!) what is all the fuss about - I was honestly expecting something like the old electric units from NSE but in some bizarre neon yellow :) given the comments - it looks fine, nothing horrendous about it.
Presumably the yellow is temporary until they adjust the lights?

56xx

I think the yellow actually improves the front end. It makes it look less narrow. The video alongside the platform does show the main body width and the interior does look good and roomy.

Bob Price

Any chance of these 398’s being able to get working the City Line (Radyr > Coryton) sooner rather than later? If so, would they have enough battery power to do the non electrified bit and get back to the wires again?
To be honest no. There are specific lines these will work on and drivers are unlikely to be signed on these to Coryton. Not the planned use for them at all.

Anonymous10

Established Member
To be honest no. There are specific lines these will work on and drivers are unlikely to be signed on these to Coryton. Not the planned use for them at all.
I could see if they wanted a cadre or trained drivers and the delays in electrification being great enough they might be used on the line. It would free up dmu's. Of course subject to clearance

craigybagel

Established Member
All the drivers who sign Coryton will sign 398s. Whether or not the units are cleared for the line is another matter.

Last edited:

DenmarkRail

Will these units be diagramed to usually operate in a 3+3? Obviously short forms happen, but in the main what’s the plan?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Would the lines fit that? Doesn't it mostly use single 150s, which are the same length as the 397s.
Some services use doubles, and most if not all of the platforms they'll be running to can accommodate 2 x 150. With the reduced routes they'll be running, compared to the 150s today, I'd imagine they'll want to increase the capacity as well as the frequency.

AdamWW

Established Member
Would the lines fit that? Doesn't it mostly use single 150s, which are the same length as the 397s.

I think the City Line (Cardiff to Radyr via Danescourt etc.) currently only takes single 150s (even a 153x2 is too long?)

But the platforms appear to be being extended at the moment.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Some services use doubles, and most if not all of the platforms they'll be running to can accommodate 2 x 150.
Weren't a lot of the platforms extended to accommodate 6 carriages over a decade ago now? (back before the idea of tram trains was a thing).

Weren't a lot of the platforms extended to accommodate 6 carriages over a decade ago now? (back before the idea of tram trains was a thing).
They were on the Merthyr/RCT lines, not on the Coryton line which is what the question was referring to.

I'm trying to find it (but the Senedd's website search function is useless), there was a written question five years after the work was complete confirming that appart from the odd match day and strike day (when there was a limited timetable) no six car train formations had been used.

Last Hurrah

A decade or so ago, maybe even longer, EU money enabled platforms to be extended for 6 car trains on Penarth - Rhymney + other Valley Lines (not sure if they were all done)

Having had all this work done, ATW didn’t /couldn’t/ wouldn’t bring in additional stock to make use of the upgrade

anthony263

Established Member
Rhymney and Treherbert line can take 6 carriage trains. Only 4 carriage trains on aberdare and merthyr tydfil branches

Anonymous10

Established Member
A decade or so ago, maybe even longer, EU money enabled platforms to be extended for 6 car trains on Penarth - Rhymney + other Valley Lines (not sure if they were all done)

Having had all this work done, ATW didn’t /couldn’t/ wouldn’t bring in additional stock to make use of the upgrade
It was about 10 years ago maybe a year longer but no more recent.

Dai Corner

Established Member
That was a separate project to install 2nd platform & passing loop enabling a 30 minute service service to Rhymney

Having installed infrastructure to make it happen, ATW didn’t deliver
Or, rather, the Government didn't specify and fund.