TFW Shortage of Train Crews 23/08 and Bank Holiday

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by PHILIPE, 22 Aug 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That's the biggest pitfall of your proposal.

Those are the times these "casual" staff will likely want off too. Back to the drawing board I'm afraid.

The most sensible solution would remain bringing all days inside the working week, but you will never resolve the issue of a higher than normal absence level at certain times of the year. To cater for that you need a bigger establishment of crew, which isn't going to happen until the question of who funds it is settled. That goes way beyond the level the railway industry alone can resolve.

2. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

I could drive a route once a year and still be route competent. I could drive a unit once a year and still be traction competent. However, I still need to be assessed regularly, monitored regularly, meet medical requirements, and be rules tested on an annual basis. It really isn't about turning up and driving a few times a month.

3. craigybagel

craigybagel Established Member

Lots of employees of legit TOCs often ask themselves the same question. I'm not sure I want to know the answer to be honest - the RAIB report into the D&CR SPAD at Stafford was harrowing enough.

4. Cambrian359

Cambrian359 Member

Thanks, this does make better sense than the ‘unions wouldn’t allow it’ replies

5. Llanigraham

Llanigraham On Moderation

And how are they going to keep up their certification?
    Plodding up and down the line as a passenger, perhaps?
    And who is going to examine their competency?

Sorry, but even as an ex-signalman I know that your idea is pure fantasy.

6. Llanigraham

Llanigraham On Moderation

I suggest you try talking to some nurses!!

7. dk1

dk1 Established Member

We are not other industries.

8. dk1

dk1 Established Member

It is yes & it is very very strict on what they can do & when.

9. Dai Corner

Dai Corner Established Member

That's sounds an excellent idea, gradually decreasing working hours to ease the transition to full retirement both in terms of lifestyle and financially. Its what my parents and I did and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Why the restrictions though?

10. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Because it has to be fair to every other driver. They must NEVER be seen at the same time & have to comply with Hidden at all times & act as 'one' driver. Otherwise they would have unfair availability.

11. Dai Corner

So if one job-sharer was rostered to work today his 'partner' couldn't even if he was keen to do so and no full-time drivers wanted the work? Who does that benefit?

12. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Doesn't matter. Rules are rules & the only way it will be permitted. They work as the one individual. These agreements are very clear before they embark on such a venture.

13. Dai Corner

Tough luck to the passengers whose trains are cancelled, the driver who wanted to work and could have done with the money, the TOC which gets fined and the taxpayers who don't get the services they paid to be run. Or maybe the driver who was refused annual leave or felt obliged to work a rest day he'd rather not have. But rules are rules.

14. dk1

dk1 Established Member

No point looking at things like that. It's not a perfect world. It's just how it is whether we like it or not.

15. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

The circle is once again squared. A reliance on rest day to cover work.

The other job sharer is effectively doing overtime.

You seem to be in support of Drivers working rest days and overtime.

Getting in casual labour, part time, reduced hours and jobshares is to reduce and prevent overtime. You shouldn't then want or expect those to also work overtime.

16. muz379

muz379 Established Member

Gotta laugh at this idea that there is a plethora of recently retired traincrew who need money desperately and would love nothing more than to come back and work trains for the day to save the operators bacon .

In reality , at my depot there are a small number of drivers & guards approaching retirement who are on job shares .At our place job share links dont have booked Sundays and only have 2 working days but job shares can work Sundays or Rest days if they make themselves available and will be marked up after any other crew who are available have been considered . Surprisingly I have never seen a member of train-crew on a job share in on a Sunday or a rest day . If they "needed the money" they wouldn't be on a job share in the first place

17. Dai Corner

I'm in favour of sensible arrangements which allow people to not feel obliged to work their rest days or do overtime, to take short notice leave if they need to, to work additional hours/days if they want to and so on. Especially if that means the advertised service can be run.

Bob is in rest days and declines to work as wants to take the kids to the beach by train as it's free for him. His colleague Harry is willing to work as he's saving up for a new car but the rules don't allow it so the trains Bob was going to catch are cancelled and he has to drive instead, paying for fuel and air king and not able to enjoy a beer at the seaside.

Even the railway staff suffer in this scenario.

18. 156420

156420 Member

Sorry, but I think you’ve missed the point entirely on this one.

Because all you’ve basically said is in order for trains not to get cancelled it requires someone working overtime (either Bob, who wants to go to the beach anyway, so that’s pointless him working) and Harry can’t work overtime as it’s not allowed. It’s still overtime though, in order to cover the train service!

19. Tomos y Tanc

Tomos y Tanc Member

I'm confused now. Is Bob related to Bill, who retired a few months ago? Couldn't Harry borrow Bob's car if he's not using it? ;)

20. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Haha, that's just made my morning :lol::lol:

21. Dai Corner

I'm just saying that if some overtime needs to be worked to run the advertised service let someone who wants it work it.

22. craigybagel

craigybagel Established Member

If people wanted to work it we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place

23. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I know. I am at a total loss what I have read for the last couple of pages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.