• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink 2018 Timetable Consultation Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know how you find out which brand is running which service? I can't see anything on the Brighton mainline timetable to state this.
Seems to be a big hint in the final destination at the top of the columns, where it has for example Bedford, Cambridge, Peterborough?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Looking at the new times it seems passengers travelling from Haywards Heath may have an even longer wait at Gatick Airport, than they do now, if connecting with a North Downs Line service (Gatwick Airport to Reading). I had hoped it would be faster, like it use to be before thwy started the Thameslink works.

The only caveat is that it maybe that those North Downs Line services are not fully in open train times yet or are to be revised further.

Currently the wait is officially 24 minutes, although one can get a 9 minute unofficial connection.

Going forward the wait will be 28 minutes and the unofficial connexion drops to being 4 minutes. Given it's Southern I wouldn't want to ruy on an unofficial 4 minute connection to an hourly service.

For reference I looked at the potentially new 12:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading service and the current 13:03 Gatwick Airport to Reading service. I then checked for the connecting trains tonhose services.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looking at the new times it seems passengers travelling from Haywards Heath may have an even longer wait at Gatick Airport, than they do now, if connecting with a North Downs Line service (Gatwick Airport to Reading). I had hoped it would be faster, like it use to be before thwy started the Thameslink works.

The only caveat is that it maybe that those North Downs Line services are not fully in open train times yet or are to be revised further.

Currently the wait is officially 24 minutes, although one can get a 9 minute unofficial connection.

Going forward the wait will be 28 minutes and the unofficial connexion drops to being 4 minutes. Given it's Southern I wouldn't want to ruy on an unofficial 4 minute connection to an hourly service.

For reference I looked at the potentially new 12:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading service and the current 13:03 Gatwick Airport to Reading service. I then checked for the connecting trains tonhose services.

The problem there is that the Brighton to Cambridge service is only currently running on one side of the hour and the Gatwick to Reading service on the other. Once both services go to 2tph, the connection will be a more palatable 15 minutes.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Seems to be a big hint in the final destination at the top of the columns, where it has for example Bedford, Cambridge, Peterborough?
So henceforth can I assume that anything going up from the south, that isn't to London Victoria, is automatically run by Thameslink?

If so that just leaves Southern and Gatwick Express, both of which run to Victoira.

So if one holds a Not Gatick Express ticket, which trains on the new Brighton mainline timetable will be valid?

infobleep

Veteran Member
The problem there is that the Brighton to Cambridge service is only currently running on one side of the hour and the Gatwick to Reading service on the other. Once both services go to 2tph, the connection will be a more palatable 15 minutes.
Ok. I now actually see that there is a 00 mins past the hour at certain hours of the day but currently it has no inbound service, so may or may not happen. That gives a better connection time if it runs.

I guess we should be seeing this timetable as a transitioning one.

Status
Not open for further replies.