• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark001uk

Established Member
I noticed the 'thudding' sound on my 700 yesterday (in Crystal Palace tunnel at about 15-20km/h). I'm still none the wiser! Mind you, I was still reeling from having a ticket check - my first ever on TL! I only ever travel in the end cars, usually next to the cab, and I wonder if it could be something as basic as the driver's seat folding under acceleration or similar (i.e. a piece of internal kit that is designed to be loose, rather than a fault).

Could be yes, I'll have another listen when I go up tomorrow or next week.

As for the ticket check, wow! I too only ever had a check once in all my journeys, and that was on a 319.

Though the other day I had a couple of these "Rail Enforcement Officer" bods walking up and down, but not checking tickets. I assume they're just there in a security capacity? Is this a new thing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Though the other day I had a couple of these "Rail Enforcement Officer" bods walking up and down, but not checking tickets. I assume they're just there in a security capacity? Is this a new thing?

They're mainly there to deal with antisocial behaviour, crowd control, major disruptions and security, not check tickets. Apparently one of their accreditation bodies is not in favour of them doing regular ticket checks, as revenue is not their primary role, and if they have to deal with tickets/PFs, I believe they are not allowed to handle payments anyway.

However, if a passenger is found without a ticket and starts to "misbehave", or if there is a spate of regular faredodging, they are able to target appropriate areas and deal with specific offenders picked out by regular revenue staff.

Southern's RNOs (Rail Neighbourhood Officers) have been merged with the REO label, or at least in theory. As for how often they appear, they tend to pop up all over the place on the mainlines, but sadly there aren't that many of them. The Southern ones mainly deal with Southern-branded services and stations, and the TL ones tend to be found north of St Pancras, in my experience.

That said, I've seen a few more "Passenger Hosts" (ie. rebadged revenue staff) lately on trains south of the Core, which is good. And at all hours too...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
319s went to Moorgate. All the tunnels that the 700s/345s are planned to go through are wide enough to allow safe egress from the normal doors on the side.

The irony is; I once took part in an evacuation exercise in the tunnels between Farringdon and Moorgate and we were "evacuated" via the side doors not the cab front door...

Bayum

Established Member
The irony is; I once took part in an evacuation exercise in the tunnels between Farringdon and Moorgate and we were "evacuated" via the side doors not the cab front door...

Could have been part of the evacuation exercise...

Abpj17

Pretty sure it's from the roof, I think it's also audible in intermediate cars, I'm sure I've still heard it there. Def not the pan, cos when that comes down you know about it.! ;)

As for the desiro locks yes I hear that, sounds like an air operated deadlock bolt to me? On the 450 it does anyhow.

Ditto - think it's somewhere in the roof not the doors. Tho I don't think it's in all cars.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Ditto - think it's somewhere in the roof not the doors. Tho I don't think it's in all cars.

The more I hear this now the more it bugs me - I'm becoming sensitive to the sound owing to the query here - the mystery continues! It certainly seems to emanate from the roof but I can't be sure of that. Before long I can see myself wandering around the train, listening to the walls, Basil Fawlty-style!

bengley

Established Member
Could it be the sliding door on the small toilet? This isn't latched when unlocked so could well slide open and shut under power/braking

spark001uk

Established Member
It's like a soft diminishing bounce, as I say like the sound a heavy ball or something would make if you dropped it from just a few inches off the floor.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On a different tack, it is two weeks since the last diagram increase. Can we expect a further step up in diagrams this coming Monday 10th?

westcoaster

Established Member
It's definitely most noticeable in the front and rear coaches.

As i posted further up i believe it is a preassure relief valve. When we open the cab window you get whistleing, coming from under the door due to the high pressure difference.

spark001uk

Established Member
As i posted further up i believe it is a preassure relief valve. When we open the cab window you get whistleing, coming from under the door due to the high pressure difference.

OK thanks for the info. Doesn't bother me, was just curious what it is.

What concerns me more is the clump that the pan comes down with! Watched it the other day at Farringdon, it comes down so hard it bounces! Minimal arc tho. ;)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Are there any 700 jollies to the south coast tomorrow?

A quick scan on RTT seems to suggest Brighton - Bedford Thameslink services are half hourly so yes there is a good chance of a 700 popping up in Brighton.

Unless you meant one popping up on test somewhere like Littlehampton?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
A quick scan on RTT seems to suggest Brighton - Bedford Thameslink services are half hourly so yes there is a good chance of a 700 popping up in Brighton.

Unless you meant one popping up on test somewhere like Littlehampton?

Sorry I mistyped.... :oops::oops:

Are there any 700 jollies along the south coast tomorrow - i.e. test runs to Littlehampton?

Last edited:

Class2ldn

I had that unit a few weeks ago. It threw a wobbly at city thameslink and would only put 1 pan up

spark001uk

Established Member
Couple that with trains being unable to run between Farringdon and Loughborough jn today due to a major signalling problem it's not been a good day! Lot of units going to be misplaced for tomorrow morning I'm guessing too.

spark001uk

Established Member
Typical. Come up to get a couple more 700s and there's an all line block at Hendon. Lineside fire.

Nice, right on the start of the evening peak!

physics34

Established Member
700 sitting in Selhurst Depot this evening. Is it the first time the class has visited here?

Some 319s dotted about aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.