• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 2019 General Election Result and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
With the SNP likely to be the real opposition, Johnson might well give them the independence vote just to get shut!!

**Thinks; will we still have the freedom to move to Scotland even if they join the EU??**

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Corbyn cult run the Labour party. They own the bureaucracy of the party. The next leader will be from the club.

And that is of course the real problem. Until Labour are free of Momentum and their acolytes nothing will change. They might, I stress might, get rid of Corbyn but they'll only replace him with someone similar.

Howardh

Established Member
She's been another huge leadership liability. Absolutely dire.
Labour and the Libdems should have sat down and worked out a strategy - one which the combination would at least keep the Tory majority down. Fool on both of them for keeping their heads in the clouds.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They are talking about Bishop Auckland going Tory! ffs! NEVER retruned a Tory.

Expect Darlington to go Tory. A good local MP chucked out.

CC 72100

Established Member
And that is of course the real problem. Until Labour are free of Momentum and their acolytes nothing will change. They might, I stress might, get rid of Corbyn but they'll only replace him with someone similar.

You cannot win an election just by appealing to your core membership.

I had this debate with a friend earlier; remember that the only Labour government that has won an election in my lifetime was a New Labour one.

The centre ground is where elections are won. (Although this is a strange one as the Brexit election).

Established Member
Yes a rather encouraging exit poll. There will be a delighted Bramling tomorrow if it holds true.

Likewise. Quietly confident. Maybe this country will finally turn the corner it needs to.

The machinations on here, and elsewhere, are already beginning and are amusing to watch.

TrafficEng

Yes a rather encouraging exit poll. There will be a delighted Bramling tomorrow if it holds true.

I find it hard to believe the figures. A decent working majority yes, but not 86.

Letting people like Boris win is never a good idea as it just inflates their own self-importance and unfounded visions of grandeur.

Boris still needs to win his own seat....

bramling

Veteran Member
Likewise. Quietly confident. Maybe this country will finally turn the corner it needs to.

The machinations on here, and elsewhere, are already beginning and are amusing to watch.

Cherry on my cake would be Swinson and Lucas both losing their seats. I note BBC are predicting zero seats for greens. If that happens I’ll be into fireworks and champagne territory!

Established Member
Cherry on my cake would be Swinson and Lucas both losing their seats. I note BBC are predicting zero seats for greens. If that happens I’ll be into fireworks and champagne territory!

Perchance to dream?!

It’s like 2016 all over again so far... Happy bloody days!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Greens one seat, from what I saw on BBC.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They are talking about Houghton and Sunderland South on BBC. That is where I come from. My extended family live there. 11% swing to Tory is incredible.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If they are forecast to get 368 seats I make that a majority of only 42 i.e. 368-326. Am I missing something?
Yes, if one side is 43 over the line (325 is halfway line, hence 326 required for majority), the oppositions would be 43 under, so overall an 86 majority.

D365

Veteran Member
Bolsover not looking good... that says a lot.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@bramling and @43066 I hope you're both ready to hold your party to account for what we were promised:
  • 50,000 nurses
  • 100,000 new homes per year
  • 40 new hospitals
  • Free trade deal with Europe by end of 2020
  • etc, etc
You got everything you wanted so now I hope you're ready to own this come what may. If the exit poll is accurate there are no excuses anymore. You can't blame "remoaners" getting in the way with an "obstructionist" Parliament and "biased" Commons Speaker.

Your party is completely in charge to do what they like so it's on you and them what happens for the next five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.