• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 2019 General Election Result and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’ve a feeling Swinson might keep her seat. Surely we can’t have this much fun on an election night? Someone has to spoil it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Perhaps not immediately. But I hope the election provides the mainstream parties for some reflection and appraisal. Johnson was a dreadful, dreadful candidate, and has absolutely walked this election with his eyes closed.

Agreed - he didn’t exactly have much competition, did he?!

Look on the bright side. At least the Tories have a majority so we can finally crack on with leaving the EU.

Whatever that means... o_O

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Amuses me that his de-facto resignation comes in the middle of the night from Islington. Even John Major had the courage to wait til the morning and face the country.
even John Major? Especially John Major. He was totally dignified as Tony Blair said on the streets of Downing St. That’s the measure of the man he said or words to that effect.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
SNP Gain Aberdeen South from Con
LD Gain NE Fife from SNP

Disappointing that my own seat is still blue, but a reduced majority. I'm hanging on for Swinson's result then I think I'll pack it in for the night.

Established Member
Amuses me that his de-facto resignation comes in the middle of the night from Islington. Even John Major had the courage to wait til the morning and face the country.

It’s pathetic isn’t it.

I’m worried about who may take over...

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Other than the fact we’ve ended up with a rubbish PM again, tonight’s been super so far. A real lancing of terrible boils.

DUP lose two seats to Irish nationalist parties - Nigel Dodds is gone! Haha. Also a fine win for Alliance in North Down.

Corbyn is on his way out and his ideology and weak character have proved decisive.

Swinson culled in East Dunbartonshire.

Even Soubry lost her seat.

GrimShady

Established Member
Other than the fact we’ve ended up with a rubbish PM again, tonight’s been super so far. A real lancing of terrible boils.

DUP lose two seats to Irish nationalist parties - Nigel Dodds is gone! Haha. Also a fine win for Alliance in North Down.

Corbyn is on his way out and his ideology and weak character have proved decisive.

Swinson culled in East Dunbartonshire.

Even Soubry lost her seat.

Agreed. Good Riddance to rubbish. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

bramling

Veteran Member
The perfect end to an excellent night all round. I’ve enjoyed every second of it.

Champagne now coming out here. I don’t normally like to celebrate off the back of someone’s misfortune, but how dare she say bollocks to all those referendum votes. Good riddance to an arrogant leader.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
The perfect end to an excellent night all round. I’ve enjoyed every second of it.
Yes - only Dianne Abbot and Corbyn losing their seats would have made it even sweeter.

Champagne now coming out here. I don’t normally like to celebrate off the back of someone’s misfortune, but how dare she say bollocks to all those referendum votes. Good riddance to an arrogant leader.
An- so-lute-ly

Established Member

Schadenfreude has its proud and blessed moments...

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes - only Dianne Abbot and Corbyn losing their seats would have made it even sweeter.

Lucas and Grieve?

Another symbolic result - Labour have lost Sedgefield to the Conservatives. Blair’s former seat. How very different to the 97 and 01 elections where Trimdon Labour Club featured heavily.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Lucas and Grieve?

Another symbolic result - Labour have lost Sedgefield to the Conservatives. Blair’s former seat. How very different to the 97 and 01 elections where Trimdon Labour Club featured heavily.

Labour gained Putney but lost Sedgefield, North West Durham, Wakefield, Bassetlaw...Darlington, Workington too, as well as others.

Says everything about the state of the party and the people it has come to represent.

bramling

Veteran Member
Labour gained Putney but lost Sedgefield, North West Durham, Wakefield, Bassetlaw...Darlington, Workington too, as well as others.

Says everything about the state of the party and the people it has come to represent.

Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath just gone SNP. Gordon Brown’s former seat.

SNP vote share 46% so far. To be heard claiming a mandate for independence she needs 50%, which it doesn’t seem like she is going to achieve.

Last edited:

Established Member
Oh what a night... Late December back in ‘63, what a very special time for me, as I remember what a night...

bramling

Veteran Member
Oh what a night... Late December back in ‘63, what a very special time for me, as I remember what a night...

Another vindictive speech, this time from Caroline Lucas. Bordering on a tantrum. Of course her true nasty colours already demonstrated with the all-female cabinet speech.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The days when the Labour Party could count on Scotland providing quite a sizeable chunk of safe seats recedes even further into history.

I am not sure who it was who said she would swim naked in Loch Ness if the SNP won in 50 seats in Scotland, but December is the last month that such a statement should have been made...:D

bramling

Veteran Member
The days when the Labour Party could count on Scotland providing quite a sizeable chunk of safe seats recedes even further into history.

I am not sure who it was who said she would swim naked in Loch Ness if the SNP won in 50 seats in Scotland, but December is the last month that such a statement should have been made...:D

A twist of fate that the Conservatives holding Finchley being the moment where Boris achieved his majority - this seat of course being Lady Thatcher’s former seat.

433N

But at least he had the courage to face Andrew Neill so he's one up from Johnson. It doesn't amuse me that we have a coward for a PM.

bramling

Veteran Member
A seat widely predicted to be an easy win for the LibDems.

No doubt thinking they could score some votes off the back of remain and at the same time taking advantage of reluctance to vote Labour due to the antisemitism issue in what is a heavily Jewish constituency. Seems like typical Lib Dem opportunism to me.

Overshadowed by the results in the mainland, a couple of interesting results in NI, in particular the DUP haven’t had a good night. One wonders if the oft spoken about demographic creep in NI has just made its presence felt?

TrafficEng

But at least he had the courage to face Andrew Neill so he's one up from Johnson. It doesn't amuse me that we have a coward for a PM.

It doesn't amuse me that someone is branded a "coward" for standing up to media demands to submit to their will. The word might apply for other reasons, but not for declining an invite to appear on a TV programme. Some might argue it takes some bravery to do so in the media obsessed world we live in.

No doubt thinking they could score some votes off the back of remain and at the same time taking advantage of reluctance to vote Labour due to the antisemitism issue in what is a heavily Jewish constituency. Seems like typical Lib Dem opportunism to me.

If I remember correctly, the southern part of the constituency traditionally had a strong LibDem vote, and is very different geographically to the Finchley that Thatcher represented.

Status
Not open for further replies.