• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 2019 General Election Result and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Sadly this election was always going to be a case of one half of the country expressing their loathing for what the other half have done to them.

The result of the election simply tells us which half will do the loathing and which are to be the loathed. There are no bridges for anyone here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

433N

It doesn't amuse me that someone is branded a "coward" for standing up to media demands to submit to their will. The word might apply for other reasons, but not for declining an invite to appear on a TV programme. Some might argue it takes some bravery to do so in the media obsessed world we live in.

What absolute rubbish. Explain it as you like but it was a blatant attempt to escape scrutiny - cowardice.

Lots of Tory cheerleading on here this morning - probably from people too young to remember the grim Thatcher years.

Let's celebrate open season on the poor and weak again.

Hurrah !

433N

Sadly this election was always going to be a case of one half of the country expressing their loathing for what the other half have done to them.

The result of the election simply tells us which half will do the loathing and which are to be the loathed. There are no bridges for anyone here.

Mainly because it was a single issue election and so it should have really been a referendum not a General Election.

As it is, Vote Brexit and get a smorgasbord of other right wing policies thrown in for good measure.

It just makes no sense.

TrafficEng

What absolute rubbish. Explain it as you like but it was a blatant attempt to escape scrutiny - cowardice.

As I was saying, in our media obsessed world people start to believe that 30 minutes with a TV pundit represents "scrutiny".

In reality, presenting your policies in a manifesto and asking the public to vote for you is proper "scrutiny".

bramling

Veteran Member
Gauke has gone. And the Conservatives have unseated the Beast of Bolsover.

Whilst his politics are in no way my cup of tea, can’t help but feel a bit of sadness at seeing Skinner go. Having said that, if I remember rightly he backed Corbyn, so really it’s fair to say he mapped his own destiny. No doubt his prized place on the green benches will be taken by the SNP.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Relieved because this will, hopefully, cause the Labour Party to have a seismic change in direction, and most importantly leadership - and not just at the top. Then come back much stronger with a sensible set of policies, and with a credible and reputable leader and leadership team. The next two weeks are crucial for the Labour Party. Will Steptoe go? Will momentum be sidelined? Will a new force emerge? If not, the country will be blue for the foreseeable future.
This is a huge leap. There is currently no evidence whatsoever that this view is widespread in Labour.

There will be a strong argument from the Labour Left that this defeat was Brexit-induced, and that aside from that the campaign was a big success.

Centrist Labour is weakened, New Labour is essentially gone, and the transfer of power at the top to a Corbynite successor is long planned. This wing of the Labour Party has fought for decades to get on top - they simply will not relinquish it. It will have to be fairly won from them. But by whom?

bramling

Veteran Member
This is a huge leap. There is currently no evidence whatsoever that this view is widespread in Labour.

There will be a strong argument from the Labour Left that this defeat was Brexit-induced, and that aside from that the campaign was a big success.

Centrist Labour is weakened, New Labour is essentially gone, and the transfer of power at the top to a Corbynite successor is long planned. This wing of the Labour Party has fought for decades to get on top - they simply will not relinquish it. It will have to be fairly won from them. But by whom?

Maybe when some of the youngsters in the Momentum cult grow up a bit? Or failing that start listening a little.

Something has gone *seriously* wrong when Labour is losing places like Sedgfield and Bolsover, and in some cases the losses being by a massive amount.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Maybe when some of the youngsters in the Momentum cult grow up a bit? Or failing that start listening a little.

Something has gone *seriously* wrong when Labour is losing places like Sedgfield and Bolsover, and in some cases the losses being by a massive amount.

One thing that does come to mind is how different the practical outcome could be if we had AV - something I voted for way back when.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As more people start to join in the discussion, I will reiterate the request to be respectful towards fellow posters and under no circumstance will personal attacks be tolerated, no matter how everyone feels and how high emotions run in this election.

If we cannot discuss sensibly without resorting to personal attacks then this discussion will not be allowed to continue.

Peter Kelford

This result shows the problem with our electoral system, in my opinion.

Seats ratio = 1 Labour: 1.76354679803 Conservative
Votes ratio = 1 Labour: 1.3431372549 Conservative

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The key question now is will Johnson with his majority go for a softer Brexit since he should in theory not be held hostage by the "hard Brexit" ERG?

(I still think that Brexit of any flavour is bad though).

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Over on the West side of the Pennines, Leigh has turned blue - unfathomable in my head. It's been Labour since 1922.

I worry more for how, democratically this election has failed Britain. Not an intelligent choice between competing candidates...but just having to pick the "least worst".

Labour, from having a decent showing in 2017, appear to have lost the thread entirely in the north.

433N

Luckily, in his victory speech, Boris Johnson is promising to rebuild the country after 9 years of Tory governments which he has been a part of.

It's like I'm caught in a surreal nightmare.

TrafficEng

The key question now is will Johnson with his majority go for a softer Brexit since he should in theory not be held hostage by the "hard Brexit" ERG?

By any measure he has now had endorsement of 'his' deal. Why would he tear that up and try to negotiate something the people who voted for him don't want?

If people in traditionally Labour seats wanted a softer Brexit then they would have voted Labour, regardless of who is leading the party. Meanwhile the LibDems will not be seeing their leader in Number 10.

The only reason for Johnson to renegotiate would be to 'unite the country'. The indications from the opposition parties overnight is that nothing short of 'stopping Boris' would be enough to achieve that, as far as they are concerned.

Established Member
Centrist Labour is weakened, New Labour is essentially gone, and the transfer of power at the top to a Corbynite successor is long planned.

Yeah, there's very few of us left unfortunately.

It will have to be fairly won from them. But by whom?

It has to be a centrist, IMO, but at this point I fear it will be incredibly difficult for a centrist to win the upcoming leadership election.

If the Labour membership insists on persisting with Corbynism after this defeat, then the party is finished.

Peter Kelford

This result shows the problem with our electoral system, in my opinion.

Seats ratio = 1 Labour: 1.76354679803 Conservative
Votes ratio = 1 Labour: 1.3431372549 Conservative

Labour seems to have become the metropolitan party, with every large city going Labour...

TrafficEng

If the Labour membership insists on persisting with Corbynism after this defeat, then the party is finished.

The fact Corbyn stated his intention to carry on as Leader until some point prior to the next GE is a worrying sign.

The very least he could have done would be to say that he intended to consult with colleagues before deciding what to do next. Even if what he said was part of a pre-planned strategy it would have come across a lot better if it was suggested a period of self-reflection was required.

Butts

Veteran Member
SNP Gain Aberdeen South from Con
LD Gain NE Fife from SNP

Disappointing that my own seat is still blue, but a reduced majority. I'm hanging on for Swinson's result then I think I'll pack it in for the night.

Well speaking as Scottish Conservative it could have been worse !!! Still the second party in Scotland.

Held onto 6 seats and The Borders is still Pure Blue on both sides.

Time for Boris to allow a section 30 order and let's have another Referendum on Independence and sort it out one way or another. Doubt it will happen before we leave the EU though. Call her bluff Boris.

No one mentioned Wales , the last remaining Labour area of the UK. Although the Tories have gained a few Labour scalps.

Plaid Cymru must be envious of the SNP.

Peter Kelford

Boris' new government - 'The <<People's>> Government' - is that a softening on Brexit or going Faragist?

Established Member
The fact Corbyn stated his intention to carry on as Leader until some point prior to the next GE is a worrying sign.

The very least he could have done would be to say that he intended to consult with colleagues before deciding what to do next. Even if what he said was part of a pre-planned strategy it would have come across a lot better if it was suggested a period of self-reflection was required.

It is worrying, he needs to go as soon as possible so we can start the process of electing a new leader.

Labour cannot carry on dithering under his leadership until he finally chooses somebody else to continue his failed project, because if that happens then I am fairly certain we will lose again in 2024.

bramling

Veteran Member
Over on the West side of the Pennines, Leigh has turned blue - unfathomable in my head. It's been Labour since 1922.

I worry more for how, democratically this election has failed Britain. Not an intelligent choice between competing candidates...but just having to pick the "least worst".

Labour, from having a decent showing in 2017, appear to have lost the thread entirely in the north.

Feedback I’ve had from friends “up north” isn’t just that they hate Corbyn and want Brexit, but also that at least some really like Boris. The feelings I had from friends in Grimsby have turned out to be absolutely spot on, albeit played out on a far wider scale than I thought would happen in practice. Old habits simply didn’t die hard on this occasion.

One of my friends went further than this. He sees mass immigration in London starting in the Blair years as a cynical attempt to boost Labour votes, along with initiatives like the Mayor of London and Scottish devolution which at the time were of course envisaged to be a shoe-in for Labour (until Ken Livingstone and SNP messed both up!). By contrast people increasingly saw Labour as being “thanks for your votes guys, see you again in five years”. Add in negative effects, be they real or perceived, in terms of pressure on housing, wages, jobs, services and infrastructure, and it isn’t difficult to see why a wide group of people felt trampled on. Brexit was the final straw, specifically the constant games played out in parliament.

I think these northern votes may have been lent to the Conservatives this time, but I think Labour will have to work very hard to prove they’re worthy of having them back. The Momentum shambles just isn’t going to do that whilst it obsesses over things like Palestine.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Feedback I’ve had from friends “up north” isn’t just that they hate Corbyn and want Brexit, but also that at least some really like Boris. The feelings I had from friends in Grimsby have turned out to be absolutely spot on, albeit played out on a far wider scale than I thought would happen in practice. Old habits simply didn’t die hard on this occasion.

One of my friends went further than this. He sees mass immigration in London starting in the Blair years as a cynical attempt to boost Labour votes, along with initiatives like the Mayor of London and Scottish devolution which at the time were of course envisaged to be a shoe-in for Labour (until Ken Livingstone and SNP messed both up!). By contrast people increasingly saw Labour as being “thanks for your votes guys, see you again in five years”. Add in negative effects, be they real or perceived, in terms of pressure on housing, wages, jobs, services and infrastructure, and it isn’t difficult to see why a wide group of people felt trampled on. Brexit was the final straw, specifically the constant games played out in parliament.

I think these northern votes may have been lent to the Conservatives this time, but I think Labour will have to work very hard to prove they’re worthy of having them back. The Momentum shambles just isn’t going to do that whilst it obsessed over things like Palestine.

This is pretty much what I've been hearing too. And whilst the votes might be lent to the Tories, and consequences will be felt most by the very same people. Turkeys & Christmas spring to mind. Such is politics circa 2019....

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Indeed. Whilst I do not like the result, I think that in order to fix it, the first step would be to understand why people voted for the Tories. But that’ll never happen for other people on the left, because they can’t comprehend having to actually talk to people.

Still, it was nice knowing the NHS for 70 years. Goodbye.

Funnily enough Edinburgh South is probably Labour’s safest seat in the country now.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Boris' new government - 'The <<People's>> Government' - is that a softening on Brexit or going Faragist?

I do hope, for the sake of the country, it's a spectrum rather than just the hardliners, and that Boris is intelligent enough to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.