• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 87/2: A New Loco Given Same Class Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
But DVT wasn't a telegraphic code or a pre-TOPS code. DVTs post-dated both the demise of the telegraph and the introduction of TOPS.
I think the point is that they are in no way, shape or form a “Class 82”.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
But DVT wasn't a telegraphic code or a pre-TOPS code. DVTs post-dated both the demise of the telegraph and the introduction of TOPS.
Perhaps telegraphic code is the wrong term, but that's the only one I know of without making one up.

In the older carriage working books there is a list of codes and carriage descriptions, headed 'telegraphic codes'. In a later LMR book DVT appears (as DLV) in a similar list but without a heading and with the equivalent POIS codes instead of carriage descriptions.

I don't know what the relevant term is, so I related it to the lists in the older documents which are described as 'telegraphic codes'.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I don't recall them being referred to as anything other than DVTs, even prior to introduction. Even while the method of push-pull operation and the TDM multiple-working system it would use was under test on the WCML using a TDM equipped Cl86 and a scratch rake, the converted HST powercar off the East Coast route that was being used as part of the test train was being referred to as a DVT.

Inversnecky

NZA is a TOPS code, which provides both a standard system for use with the TOPS system and a consistent system for more general use. Using the TOPS code makes things much clearer as to what vehicles are being referred to, rather than a mishmash of varying letter combinations.

N is the letter for all Non-passenger carrying coaching stock (NPCCS), Z indicates the sub-type of NPCCS and A is the brake type, in this case Air only.

Thank you, what is NPCCS though?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don't recall them being referred to as anything other than DVTs, even prior to introduction. Even while the method of push-pull operation and the TDM multiple-working system it would use was under test on the WCML using a TDM equipped Cl86 and a scratch rake, the converted HST powercar off the East Coast route that was being used as part of the test train was being referred to as a DVT.
It was changed prior to them entering service afaik

Status
Not open for further replies.