• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "And in other news..." thread

341o2

Established Member
apparently the insult has been going on for a while, another element is our supposed liking of it in the same way we call the French frogs.

but recently some of the French have become more miltant, recently some British war graves were defaced with "Rosbifs go home"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
My local newspaper reported that farmers are expecting an "average" harvest.

Could be unusual, normally the harvest is better or worse than expected.

Doubtless there will be complaints anyway.

pdeaves

Established Member
My local newspaper reported that farmers are expecting an "average" harvest.

Could be unusual, normally the harvest is better or worse than expected.

Doubtless there will be complaints anyway.
With weather, we periodically get hottest/coldest/wettest/driest season on record. Are we now moving towards reporting 'averagest' something on record? :)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
With weather, we periodically get hottest/coldest/wettest/driest season on record. Are we now moving towards reporting 'averagest' something on record? :)
Got me thinking. Unfortunately I discarded the report, but was the average mean or median or mode?

Peter C

Established Member
Tower Bridge has got stuck open:

London's Tower Bridge stuck open after technical failure​

London's Tower Bridge has become stuck open causing major traffic issues in the capital.
The famous landmark was scheduled to open this afternoon to allow a large wooden tall ship through, but it appears to have become jammed in place.
City of London Police said the 127-year-old crossing had been closed to both traffic and pedestrians "due to technical failure".
Drivers have been warned to avoid the area.

Approach roads to the bridge have been shut while repairs are carried out.
Transport for London (TfL) reported that traffic was slow moving on both sides of the river.
The bridge, which took eight years to build and opened in 1894, normally opens about 800 times every year.
A spokesperson for the City of London Corporation, which manages the bridge, said investigations into the failure were taking place but the source of the fault was currently unknown.

Tim Dunn is doing a Twitter live stream online at the moment:
Oh. @TowerBridge bascules are stuck in the open position, the streets are gridlocked and now it’s raining so here… here is nothing happening LIVE

Reversing buses, gridlocked traffic, and rain - everything you need for a good livestream ;)

-Peter

Domh245

Established Member

Reversing buses, gridlocked traffic, and rain - everything you need for a good livestream ;)

-Peter

Particularly unfortunate timing for Tom Scott - the video he published today was of him having a go driving the bridge!

Darandio

Established Member
Well his video clearly wasn't filmed today but it's impeccable timing for Youtube views!

Peter C

Established Member
There's a pinned comment from him that says it was released a week ago, but the upload date is today, which doesn't add up :s
He uploads his videos to YouTube a few days (maybe even a week in some cases) before it's made public; the pinned comment always gets responses saying "But this was posted x days ago!". I expect by "released", he means "uploaded".

-Peter

C J Snarzell

Established Member
There's been a bit of publicity about Peter Kay in the North West recently.

He went off the radar four years ago because of an undisclosed reason (following a cancelled tour).

He appears to have made a brief return to the limelight to support a young woman with terminal cancel.

Its good to see him back again, but I'm wondering if his glory era has now passed and he will follow the likes of Russ Abbott and Harry Enfield (too name but a few) who simply slip into the comedy wilderness?

CJ

brad465

Established Member
He uploads his videos to YouTube a few days (maybe even a week in some cases) before it's made public; the pinned comment always gets responses saying "But this was posted x days ago!". I expect by "released", he means "uploaded".

-Peter
Something called scheduled uploads.
Fair enough, I knew scheduled uploads were a thing but didn't know author comments could be made before publishing, and/or the upload date be altered to be when the video became public, as opposed to actually going online.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Fair enough, I knew scheduled uploads were a thing but didn't know author comments could be made before publishing, and/or the upload date be altered to be when the video became public, as opposed to actually going online.
Some "creators" upload their videos as "unlisted" for the first few days and send links to those who have supported them on crowdfunding services such as Patreon, before making them public on the official release date.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There's been a bit of publicity about Peter Kay in the North West recently.

He appears to have made a brief return to the limelight to support a young woman with terminal cancel.

Its good to see him back again, but I'm wondering if his glory era has now passed and he will follow the likes of Russ Abbott and Harry Enfield (too name but a few) who simply slip into the comedy wilderness?

CJ

Terminal Cancel eh?
I hear that’s pretty bad… ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

-Peter
I was surprised to see that the traffic signals there are of the conventional type rather than the design seen at level crossings etc. My understanding being that the former can legally be disobeyed by emergency vehicles on "blues 'n' twos" whereas the latter can't... but I wouldn't recommend ignoring the lights at Tower Bridge unless you're Evel Knievel!

Peter C

Established Member
I was surprised to see that the traffic signals there are of the conventional type rather than the design seen at level crossings etc. My understanding being that the former can legally be disobeyed by emergency vehicles on "blues 'n' twos" whereas the latter can't... but I wouldn't recommend ignoring the lights at Tower Bridge unless you're Evel Knievel!
I hadn't thought of that. That's quite the funny image - an ambulance jumping over the Thames!

-Peter

najaB

Veteran Member
I guess because, unlike the railway, the danger of the raised bascules is quite obvious.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I guess because, unlike the railway, the danger of the raised bascules is quite obvious.
It's a bit odd, as I believe other moveable bridges have level crossing type signals. Even fire stations do when they need to stop the traffic to get a vehicle out.

A Challenge

Established Member
It's a bit odd, as I believe other moveable bridges have level crossing type signals. Even fire stations do when they need to stop the traffic to get a vehicle out.
Why is it that fire stations get this, as it means that other emergency services, probably attending to the same incident, or potentially something more serious, would be required to stop for the fire engines?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Why is it that fire stations get this, as it means that other emergency services, probably attending to the same incident, or potentially something more serious, would be required to stop for the fire engines?
I guess it's only a matter of a few seconds for a fire engine to get out into traffic so any other emergency vehicle won't get delayed much. I don't know if the lights are only provided at places where there's an intervisibility issue that creates a risk of collision if another emergency vehicle goes through them. But it does seem something of an anomaly - emergency drivers are trained and expected to identify hazards and most of them would know where the fire station was and that there was a risk of a vehicle coming out at high speed.

Leamington Spa J14 of the M40 A452 central motorways police group station has the level crossing lights so it's not exclusively fire stations.

Ediswan

Established Member
I was surprised to see that the traffic signals there are of the conventional type rather than the design seen at level crossings etc.
Definitely odd. Maybe it was decided that wig-wags would be too visually intrusive and that conventional traffic signals would work fine. I found plenty of statements that wig-wags are used at lift bridges, but nothing to say they are required. Some very substantial gates close across the road before the bascules move.

Does anybody here have account on SABRE ? This is definitely their sort of thing.

najaB

Veteran Member
Definitely odd. Maybe it was decided that wig-wags would be too visually intrusive and that conventional traffic signals would work fine. I found plenty of statements that wig-wags are used at lift bridges, but nothing to say they are required
On the railway, whenever something is odd like that the answer is "grandfather rights". Perhaps the conventional traffic lights were installed before wig-wags became common and simply have never been replaced.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I hadn't thought of that. That's quite the funny image - an ambulance jumping over the Thames!

-Peter
Try a double decker bus instead...

On 30th December 1952, Albert Gunter was happily going about his day job, driving the number 78 bus over Tower Bridge towards Shoreditch. To his utter surprise, the road in front of him seemed to drop away.

Gunter quickly realised that the Bridge was opening, and his bus was on a rising bascule. Back in the 1950s, a watchman was supposed to ring a warning bell and close the gates before Tower Bridge opened, but on that particular day, he somehow forgot to do so.

Slamming his foot down on the accelerator, Gunter managed to jump the rising bascule. He successfully reached the north side of Tower Bridge, which had not yet begun to open, getting all his 20 passengers across safely.

As a precaution, all those of on board were taken to hospital. Thankfully, there was only one person injured: Gunter broke his leg. Amazingly enough, the bus, which was going at just 12 mph (19.3 km/h), was intact.

For this act of bravery and quick thinking, Albert was awarded a day off work and a reward of £10 (about £290 in today’s money).