• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "And in other news..." thread

brad465

Established Member
One from F1, Aston Martin have appointed a man called Mike Krack as their new team principle.
To quote Bradley Walsh when he heard the name "Fanny Chmelar":

"I'd be straight down the court in the morning if that was my name, I'd have that changed straight away."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
No wonder utility bills are so high.
Arriving back home after work, Ella Tweed found 440 letters had been delivered, all identical, from Severn Trent Water inviting her to have a new water meter installed

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-receives-over-400-identical-26136243

A woman was "gobsmacked" after she received more than 400 identical letters from her water company through the post - in one day.

Ella Tweed, 24, got home from a day at work to see an enormous pile of 440 envelopes on her doormat, each offering her new meter.

The body piercer has no idea how the blunder happened - but says the letters cover the floor of her entire living room when spread out.

The letters were from Severn Trent Water, but the water company said they had been organised by contract partners, Network Plus.

brad465

Established Member
In Germany, a Czech millionaire could be done for speeding on a road with no speed limit:

Germany is famous for having no speed limits on stretches of its motorways, but a Czech millionaire appearing to do 417km/h (260 mph) may have been testing the limit of what's tolerable.
Radim Passer is now being investigated for his apparent drive along a motorway in the state of Saxony-Anhalt.
The prosecutor's office in Stendal said it had launched a probe into the potentially illegal incident.
The driver faces a prison sentence of up to two years or a fine, reports say.

The wealthy sports car owner from the Czech Republic posted videos of last summer's apparent drive in a Bugatti Chiron on the A2 between Berlin and Hanover on YouTube, bringing attention to the incident.
In the videos, the car's speedometer appears to display a speed of up to 417km/h.
In written comments beneath the video, Mr Passer says: "There was visibility along the whole stretch. Safety was a priority, so the circumstances had to be safe to go." He adds that the drive took place at 04:50 on a Sunday morning and there had been an earlier drive-through of the stretch of motorway.
Police launched an investigation after the alleged breach was reported in German media.
According to the criminal code, a solo drive can still constitute an offence if the driver "moves at an inappropriate speed and in a manner that grossly violates the traffic code and is reckless", reports say.
Transport Minister Volker Wissing has condemned the driver's attitude, noting that while there is no speed limit in Germany, the car should always be "under control", the AFP news agency quotes him as saying.

najaB

Veteran Member
People in Edinburgh are falling foul of Scotland's most confusing parking restrictions. Reading the article I half expected that someone would have received a fine because the sign wasn't "Simon says..." :)

The complaints centre on Arboretum Place, where you would be charged £6.50 to park for six hours on part of the street - but it would cost £15 for the same length of time in other sections.

On one side it is possible to park for up to six hours, at a cost of £2.50 an hour. On the other side there are cheaper sections where you can park for up to nine hours. The charges there are £1 for up to one hour, £2 for two hours and then £6.50 for up to nine hours. But on that side, there are also parts of the street where the six-hour rules applies, with the higher charges.

There are more than 20 parking signs in Arboretum Place, some of which direct motorists to cross the road to pay.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
People in Edinburgh are falling foul of Scotland's most confusing parking restrictions. Reading the article I half expected that someone would have received a fine because the sign wasn't "Simon says..." :)
I thought you were being a tad harsh.

But having read the article, it seems to deliberately confuse matters by unnecessarily referring to a neighbouring street and not listing the actual restriction but referring to things multiple times in different ways. BBC social media click-bait story. And it worked!

I'm still not clear how many and what parking restrictions there are on Arboretum Place.

brad465

Established Member
The thread about NZ's covid exit strategy is locked, so am putting this here as I do think it's somewhat amusing; in order to deter protestors in NZ, officials are playing Barry Manilow music:

Authorities in New Zealand have been playing Barry Manilow's greatest hits in an attempt to dislodge protesters camped outside the parliament building.
Songs by the US singer are being played on a 15-minute loop, along with the Spanish dance tune, Macarena.
The demonstrators, who are angry at Covid-19 vaccine mandates, responded by playing songs such as Twisted Sister's We're Not Gonna Take It.
The protests began on Tuesday when a convoy of vehicles drove to parliament.
Inspired by large rallies against vaccine mandates in Canada, hundreds of protesters arrived in the capital, Wellington, to rally against Covid restrictions.
They adopted the name "Convoy for Freedom" and blocked streets in the city.
By Wednesday their numbers had dwindled to the dozens, but they increased again at the weekend.
On Thursday police arrested 122 people and charged many with trespassing or obstruction.
Tactics used by the authorities to try and get rid of the protesters involved turning on the water sprinklers on the lawn where they were camped on Friday.
But protesters retaliated by digging trenches and building makeshift drainpipes to re-route the water, the Associated Press news agency reports.
With sprinklers proving ineffective, Parliament Speaker Trevor Mallard settled on a new approach: blasting out Barry Manilow's greatest hits, which include Mandy and Could It Be Magic, as well as the 1990s hit Macarena and Covid vaccine messages.
New Zealand has employed strict Covid restrictions to contain the virus for nearly two years now. Lockdowns and an international border closure have helped to keep infection and death numbers very low.
But the duration of many restrictions - including a minimum 10-day isolation and a vaccine mandate - has fuelled growing resentment in the community.
Public polls have shown increasing dissatisfaction with Jacinda Ardern's government, and there has been an increase in protest activity in recent months.

ABB125

Established Member
Some people in the north have been sent cheques for several trillion pounds in compensation for power loss during storms last year.
BBC News - Northern Powergrid sorry for Storm Arwen trillion pound compensation error

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Gloster

Established Member
I hope they don’t think, ”Oh, we’ll put in the deposit account until we have arranged to pay it back.” Around forty years ago a chap was sent a cheque for £14 million as a repayment from the electricity board, instead of the £14 he was due. He put the money in the bank and arranged to repay the sum: in the meantime he had made £6000 in interest, which was his to keep. It was all legal as he had not done anything wrong and should not have been denied the enjoyment of his £14 due to the electricity board’s error.

However, I read a couple of years ago of someone who was had up in court, fined, and forced to pay interest and costs in addition to the repayment. I did read it carefully and the situation appeared identical.

brad465

Established Member
Some people in the north have been sent cheques for several trillion pounds in compensation for power loss during storms last year.
BBC News - Northern Powergrid sorry for Storm Arwen trillion pound compensation error
To put into context, that's roughly the UK's annual GDP, or our National debt.

PG

Established Member

Trackman

Established Member
I hope they don’t think, ”Oh, we’ll put in the deposit account until we have arranged to pay it back.” Around forty years ago a chap was sent a cheque for £14 million as a repayment from the electricity board, instead of the £14 he was due. He put the money in the bank and arranged to repay the sum: in the meantime he had made £6000 in interest, which was his to keep. It was all legal as he had not done anything wrong and should not have been denied the enjoyment of his £14 due to the electricity board’s error.

However, I read a couple of years ago of someone who was had up in court, fined, and forced to pay interest and costs in addition to the repayment. I did read it carefully and the situation appeared identical.
I'm no legal expert but I think things have changed now, namely 'knowingly' it was wrong.
I once bought a load of 'white goods' for my new fitted kitchen but they sent me appliances well over £1000 what I had paid.
I rung them up and they exchanged them for my original order- but that's me, didn't want to have someone in trouble. I would make a useless liar or a thief ;)
Bet they will make £££'s on eBay or whatever for the dud cheques.

brad465

Established Member
Rod Stewart went repairing potholes local to him in Essex, and now the council have warned others not to do "pothole DIY":

A council has urged people not to try to repair potholes themselves after Sir Rod Stewart was filmed doing it.
Instagram videos showed the singer, 77, shovelling gravel near his home near Harlow, Essex, claiming drivers were "bashing their cars up" on the road.
His post was liked more than 75,000 times in a day and prompted comments praising his actions.
An Essex County Council cabinet member warned anyone attempting to repair a road could become liable for accidents.
Lee Scott, who is responsible for highways maintenance at the authority, said: "You can't take matters into your own hands.
"People must always report potholes to the council and we will fix anything that's dangerous."

In the Instagram post, Sir Rod claimed the road had been in need of repair "for ages" but that "no-one can be bothered to do it".
Dressed in a tracksuit and high-vis vest, he explained why he and "the boys" decided to fix it themselves.
"People are bashing their cars up. The other day, there was an ambulance with a burst tyre. My Ferrari can't go through here at all," he said.
Mr Scott promised he would "endeavour to rectify it" and asked for an officer report as quickly as possible.
He said: "All road repairs have to be done to a professional level or the person doing it could become liable for any problems or accidents".
He added he would be happy to arrange a meeting with the singer to discuss the issue.
The BBC has approached Sir Rod for comment.

High Dyke

Established Member
"People must always report potholes to the council and we will fix anything that's dangerous."

Yeah right.
:lol: That's true in the street where I live, and the neighbouring street. Still the council have been round and sprayed them with white paint so you can spot them better.

birchesgreen

Established Member
:lol: That's true in the street where I live, and the neighbouring street. Still the council have been round and sprayed them with white paint so you can spot them better.
Some of the roads around here look like the council has handed over their care to the Russian air force.

An amusing news story

A young groom has been blasted on social media for turning up to his big day in a pair of jeans a t-shirt.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In two minds over which thread to put this in: apparently canoe man John Darwin has gone off to fight in Ukraine:

Oh good grief.
If you’ve ever spent any time listening to podcasts about Darwin and the whole sorry canoe saga, you’ll know that a decision like this is entirely in character!

He’s a narcissistic, egotistical pillock of the highest order…