• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The decline of GWR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesT

Established Member
There will be a lot of diagrams that don't touch London in either peak. The problem with 1x5 cars is that there are lots of outside London peaks where it doesn't work either, as many people correctly pointed out when XC cut their trains from 7 to 4/5.

Absolutely the idea is not to couple anything. Double the cabs, double the kitchens, double the staff. Not such an issue when it is 2x 365 with only a driver of course.

In the peaks in London you need maximum capacity per path and as explained 2x5 is the same capacity as 1x9 and clearly fails that test as 1x10 is the maximum length. 1x10 should have been the core fleet, no doubling of kitchens, no attaching everywhere. No other TOC seems preoccupied with avoiding excess off peak capacity as long as it is doing everything it can to move people in the peak.

You seem to be ignoring the Electrostars here. They're providing a significant capacity boost over the Turbos. Yes, they're on the stoppers, but I suspect at least some people might choose the 8/12 carriage train where they get a seat even if it's a little slower whereas before they avoided the sardine tin 16Xs.

The problem with XC was they didn't increase capacity overall when they moved to shorter trains. GWR are increasing capacity with a 2x5/1x9 over a HST.

I suspect this will all come down to cost, it will cost more to hire a longer set from Agility, so making the most efficient use of smaller sets will be cheaper than having lots of longer sets lying around doing nothing half the day. GWR aren't the only TOC to face these issues, haven't we seen complaints in the past about London Midland leaving units in the sidings because it cost them too much to run them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Why is everyone so horrified that they could possible run an IET, brand new train optimised for a DOO as a DOO service?

If it’s in exceptional circumstances to get customers I A to B I don’t see what the problem is. Many operators have DOO agreements whereby if it’s a DOO operating area, the train is suitable for DOO operation and the guard has been displaced up to service disruption they can run the train as such until it reaches the conventional operating area. Besides usually IETs also have catering staff or a Ticket Examiner On Board anyway so the train is not completely unstaffed and most Mainline stations have Dispatchers to assist the driver.

I can’t see GWR or any other intercity TOC getting rid of Train Managers anytime soon. I do however predict in the next few years they may have their operational responsibilities amended to focus more on customer care. However I’d imagine that will be an option under consideration by franchise bidders and not one to be implemented under the remainder of this franchise.

theironroad

Established Member
Why is everyone so horrified that they could possible run an IET, brand new train optimised for a DOO as a DOO service?

If it’s in exceptional circumstances to get customers I A to B I don’t see what the problem is. Many operators have DOO agreements whereby if it’s a DOO operating area, the train is suitable for DOO operation and the guard has been displaced up to service disruption they can run the train as such until it reaches the conventional operating area. Besides usually IETs also have catering staff or a Ticket Examiner On Board anyway so the train is not completely unstaffed and most Mainline stations have Dispatchers to assist the driver.

I can’t see GWR or any other intercity TOC getting rid of Train Managers anytime soon. I do however predict in the next few years they may have their operational responsibilities amended to focus more on customer care. However I’d imagine that will be an option under consideration by franchise bidders and not one to be implemented under the remainder of this franchise.

When you say 'many operators' , don't you mean 1, because think only Southern have the method of operation you outline.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
I suspect this will all come down to cost, it will cost more to hire a longer set from Agility, so making the most efficient use of smaller sets will be cheaper than having lots of longer sets lying around doing nothing half the day. GWR aren't the only TOC to face these issues, haven't we seen complaints in the past about London Midland leaving units in the sidings because it cost them too much to run them?

You pay for a unit from Agility whether you use it or not - that's how the DfT/Agility contract is structured. So you don't want to have them sitting around doing nothing.

gallafent

Absolutely.

Aside from that, it is absolutely disadvantageous to me as a passenger not to run DOO, in two ways which immediately come to mind.

A standard example from this morning: the additional delay currently caused by having the train manager close the doors and then buzz the driver to indicate the train's ready to depart (as per the IET I was on from Oxford to London) is very noticeable, and a clearly pretty bad option for a train which is already running late, since it adds unnecessary extra lateness. Perhaps an extra 10-20 seconds per stop? That adds up, and is aspect 1.

Furthermore, performing that duty at each stop took the train manager away from other passenger-facing work, such as checking tickets (mine was not checked during the journey: train manager made it half way down my coach before having to go back to a door to deal with door operation, and didn't return; I arrived at Paddington on a platform with no barriers, and so could have made the journey using any ticket allowing entry at Oxford) and advising customers on their options if they were to miss connections on arrival 17 minutes late at Paddington — as a passenger I'd far rather have those duties carried out throughout, and the doors operated efficiently by the driver, using the provided technology which gives him an excellent view of the full length of the train (perhaps, and I would expect and hope, better than that afforded to the driver of a 16x).

The final lengthy jokey announcement which contained no more information than the previous automated one (“Paddington is the next and final stop”) but with a lot more repetition, and made no mention of, or apology for, the arrival having been 17 minutes late, doesn't really count, for me, as “service”. At the time of writing, GWR's PPM today is currently worse than GTRs. Go figure.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Absolutely.

Aside from that, it is absolutely disadvantageous to me as a passenger not to run DOO, in two ways which immediately come to mind.

A standard example from this morning: the additional delay currently caused by having the train manager close the doors and then buzz the driver to indicate the train's ready to depart (as per the IET I was on from Oxford to London) is very noticeable, and a clearly pretty bad option for a train which is already running late, since it adds unnecessary extra lateness. Perhaps an extra 10-20 seconds per stop? That adds up, and is aspect 1.

Furthermore, performing that duty at each stop took the train manager away from other passenger-facing work, such as checking tickets (mine was not checked during the journey: train manager made it half way down my coach before having to go back to a door to deal with door operation, and didn't return; I arrived at Paddington on a platform with no barriers, and so could have made the journey using any ticket allowing entry at Oxford) and advising customers on their options if they were to miss connections on arrival 17 minutes late at Paddington — as a passenger I'd far rather have those duties carried out throughout, and the doors operated efficiently by the driver, using the provided technology which gives him an excellent view of the full length of the train (perhaps, and I would expect and hope, better than that afforded to the driver of a 16x).

The final lengthy jokey announcement which contained no more information than the previous automated one (“Paddington is the next and final stop”) but with a lot more repetition, and made no mention of, or apology for, the arrival having been 17 minutes late, doesn't really count, for me, as “service”. At the time of writing, GWR's PPM today is currently worse than GTRs. Go figure.

What has this and many posts got to do with the decline of GWR ?

jayah

On Moderation
You seem to be ignoring the Electrostars here. They're providing a significant capacity boost over the Turbos. Yes, they're on the stoppers, but I suspect at least some people might choose the 8/12 carriage train where they get a seat even if it's a little slower whereas before they avoided the sardine tin 16Xs.

The problem with XC was they didn't increase capacity overall when they moved to shorter trains. GWR are increasing capacity with a 2x5/1x9 over a HST.

I am deliberately ignoring the Electrostars. They do not carry commuters from Reading to Paddington. People could always get a seat on the slow Turbo trains from Reading but didn't because they take twice as long. GWR are increasing capacity on the express, but not by much. With growth from better links out of Paddington to the City and the current levels of overcrowding it will scarcely be noticed, just like the more recent measures like cutting the amount of First Class on the HSTs.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Also worth pointing out that the Reading-Paddington stoppers are only advertised to Ealing Broadway at Reading, to discourage through passengers.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
I am deliberately ignoring the Electrostars. They do not carry commuters from Reading to Paddington. People could always get a seat on the slow Turbo trains from Reading but didn't because they take twice as long. GWR are increasing capacity on the express, but not by much. With growth from better links out of Paddington to the City and the current levels of overcrowding it will scarcely be noticed, just like the more recent measures like cutting the amount of First Class on the HSTs.

12 car 387s will be used on Reading crowdbusters - indeed, that’s why they were ordered over cascaded 365s.

jayah

On Moderation
That letter was a proposal - there has not been any agreement with the unions to change current DOO arrangements and if Aslef does not reach an agreement with GWR on an extension of DOO operation outside the Thames Valley area, then the drivers will simply refuse to take a train out.

So it does not make train mangers optional. And in terms of customer care, I can't see any long-distance TOC wanting to get into the game of running DOO anyway.

But clearly your crystal ball is in full working order, so we'll just have to accept that it shall be DOO, all the time, everywhere.

The latest letter published by the RMT in April shows the they tried to make the IET trains to Oxford diagrammed DOO from the May timetable so it has clearly gone beyond merely floating proposals. There was also a letter to Kerry McCarthy MP in 2015 in which it is clear that this idea of 'exceptional circumstances' which again is impossible to define, meaning a IET runs DOO is not confined to Oxford.

Why is it irrelevant? Your proposition is that passengers at Reading (and I assume Maidenhead and Twyford as well) will all continue to leap on board any and every GWR fast service as a matter of routine (actual routine, as opposed to something that happens occasionally, such as a five-car IET instead of 2x5 - there are currently 78 train formation updates showing on GWR Journeycheck, and the number of five-cars instead of 2x5 is, er, zero...).

As a matter of routine, some passengers from Reading have been getting on a slower service to London, making a number of stops en route, for years. I'm sure your crystal ball will disagree but I think it is entirely reasonable to suppose that some passengers at GWML stations may decide staying put on the same train all the way to the West End or the City beats a transfer at Paddington.

Are you aware that Maidenhead-Liverpool Street, even with the stops on Crossrail, will take 46 minutes, for example?
A GWR fast to Paddington takes 20 or 21 minutes at the moment, which isn't going to change much, and Crossrail's website shows 10 minutes for the transit from Paddington to Liverpool Street. Chuck in some transfer time at Paddington and even if you step straight on to a train at Paddington heading through the tunnel, you might save 10 minutes compared with a direct Crossrail train.

I genuinely don't understand your fascination with Maidenhead. It has nothing to do with capacity in IETs. Reading passengers don't go via Staines in significant numbers and will do so even less with Crossrail, nor do they use stopping services. Commuters do not take the slightest notice of nonsense like a theoretical 10min interchange time at Paddington. If Maidenhead is 46min, Reading will be 56min which is almost exactly the same as today. Unless you are suggesting Reading commuters will physically move to Maidenhead it isn't material?

Since I do not accept your proposition that short-formed GWR IETs are the norm, routine, or any other word you care to try out, I see nothing at all wrong with pointing out that when Virgin have an occasional, non-routine fault on a 221/a set was failed on the depot, etc, then they will cut them out of a formation - just what GWR does with IETs if they have a fault/did not leave the depot, etc.

Rather than making the same assertion over and over, how about you produce a detailed log, actually demonstrating in black and white that short-formed IETs on GWR are a matter of routine?
I have explained already I have no interest in a semantic debate about the meaning of words. Most of the Virgin Trains fleet is not divisible and within that fleet, they run with a high level of reliability with few cancellations. Therefore the flexibility to run half a train to avoid running no train at all is not required and is not a reason or excuse to use half length trains, which does happen.
I see, so the needs of a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening on a short section of railway trump all other considerations, such as what the trains involved are doing the rest of the day or in places a very long way from the Thames Valley with different needs? And all this to add perhaps four dozen seats per service, which would be a drop in the ocean compared to what is being delivered by way of extra capacity in the Thames Valley one way and another over the next couple of years.

Yes - that is how most UK TOCs are scaled to operate. Having more off-peak seats doesn't take something away. I have explained the concept of 1x6/7 formations where they do not serve that market during the whole day. The capacity increment from 1x9/2x5 to 1x10 is a full 26m carriage so about 90 additional seats not 'perhaps four dozen' and so would be more than is being gained from HST to the current IET.

No, obviously getting new IETs with more seats than on the HSTs they replace isn't part of a plan to 'deal with it', nor is having formations up to 12 coaches on GWR suburban services, or Crossrail...

Again what does capacity on suburban services have to do with IETs? This constant focus on irrelevant topics does not inspire confidence.

I wonder why no one else has thought about having off-peak sets? They would certainly come in handy on many West Coast Pendolino services for large parts of the day, especially the further they get away from London.

Or maybe someone has already thought about having off-peak sets on GWR - and they look something like a five-coach Class 800? Which can also be coupled together to form a 640-seat peak train.

You tell me? The railways are in a relentless state of crisis and chaos.
Some of us here are old enough to remember Operation Princess. Don't worry they said, they know what they are doing. They know how many people use their trains, there are more of them. They will get people to travel off peak and doubling their frequency. Guess what happened?

Why didn't VTEC realise they would go bust?
Why didn't NXEC realise they would go bust?
Why didn't Northern think there would be any growth in passenger numbers?
Why did TPE order those 3 car trains?
Why did NR build the Orsdall Curve without Platform 15/16.

You could go on for hours with the things the great luminaries running the railways missed that everyone else thought of and when I read all these statements about Staines and Maidenhead I see history repeating itself.

Besides 2 kitchens on a service to Bristol looks even more of a waste than it does on Euston - Birmingham with one kitchen. But unlike Great Western, West Coast have very little overcrowing in the peak.

Perhaps you shouldn't make sweeping and inaccurate assertions in the first place.

Forgive me is there is precisely zero confidence in the ability of the railways to get anything right on its own, while being openly hostile to constructive criticism.

jayah

On Moderation
12 car 387s will be used on Reading crowdbusters - indeed, that’s why they were ordered over cascaded 365s.

How frequently will these crowdbuster trains run and how long will they take to get to London?

FGW_DID

Established Member
At the time of writing, GWR's PPM today is currently worse than GTRs. Go figure.

That may be something to do with the massive signalling problems on the B&H this morning and the speed restrictions imposed by Network Rail due to severe weather warnings from the Met Office!

jayah

On Moderation
Absolutely.

How many times are tickets checked onboard trains on Southeastern or Thameslink? I see the RMT have found that on many days Southern ran over 26 services a day with no OBS. Exceptional is the new normal.

vdriud

1G47 Padd-cheltenham cancelled this evening.
The number of cancellations seem to be getting quite bad.

JamesT

Established Member
How frequently will these crowdbuster trains run and how long will they take to get to London?

If you go to the generate a timetable page on the GWR website and put Reading to Paddington in at peak hours, there appear to be currently 3-4 trains an hour which are standard class only (implying 387 or could be replaced by 387) and timed for between 30 and 40 minutes to get to Paddington.

jayah

On Moderation
If you go to the generate a timetable page on the GWR website and put Reading to Paddington in at peak hours, there appear to be currently 3-4 trains an hour which are standard class only (implying 387 or could be replaced by 387) and timed for between 30 and 40 minutes to get to Paddington.
So are these new trains are reannouncing something that exists already?

Charlie M.

Stop arguing about 387 capacity and DOO 800s. This is about the decline of a company.

GWR is going down hill right now and gives bad flashbacks of 2007-2010 period of bad delays etc

The Ham

Established Member
I have explained already I have no interest in a semantic debate about the meaning of words. Most of the Virgin Trains fleet is not divisible and within that fleet, they run with a high level of reliability with few cancellations. Therefore the flexibility to run half a train to avoid running no train at all is not required and is not a reason or excuse to use half length trains, which does happen.

Yes it could be possible to run full length trains, but that is likely to require more coaches so that you always have a spare to cover for a unit or of service. With 5+5 working you can have 2 X 5 coach units spare which could sub for a 9 coach unit, could swap with a 5 coach unit (either a single unit or one of a pair), it could even allow a service to be run short firm with a 5 coach unit if one of the spare units had already been used. If you had all long units you would either only have one unit spare and in that last case you would need to cancel the second service or you would need two long units say as spares.

You would probably also find that with long units some locations would have a less frequent service.

Yes - that is how most UK TOCs are scaled to operate. Having more off-peak seats doesn't take something away. I have explained the concept of 1x6/7 formations where they do not serve that market during the whole day. The capacity increment from 1x9/2x5 to 1x10 is a full 26m carriage so about 90 additional seats not 'perhaps four dozen' and so would be more than is being gained from HST to the current IET.

Yes 10 coach units would be useful, and given the size of the fleet of 80x's it's likely that the could be a follow on order as part of the next franchise. Which could also extend some of the 5 coach versions to 9 coaches as well.

You do however have to be aware of two things. Firstly is taking then long enough to get the 5 coach units into service, if you halved the rate at which units were available then that does down training of staff and the ability to get then into passenger service. This would make matters worse now, even if once they were delivered on some services things would be better. Even if you delivered some 7 coach units for training first they would still take longer to deliver than a 5 coach unit and would be of no use during the peaks. This would then mean that the total delivery time could have resulted in it running beyond 2020 (which is important given that trains have to be compliant with DDA rules by then).

Secondly, if you run 7 coach and 10 coach units and the only spare units you have in the peak are 7 coach units and a 10 coach unit fails you are stuck with running a 7 coach unit. By making them 5 if you have two of them spare you have a significantly smaller difference in capacity when you need to use them (even when compared to a 10 coach unit). Yes if there's just one is more of a problem, but given the numbers involved chances are you could get turnaround a wrong diagram to run it late as a peak departure to then use the 5 coach on a slightly quieter service a little later.

Some of us here are old enough to remember Operation Princess. Don't worry they said, they know what they are doing. They know how many people use their trains, there are more of them. They will get people to travel off peak and doubling their frequency. Guess what happened?

The DfT didn't allow them to have so the coaches they wanted.

They did get it wrong

Likewise they got it wrong

DfT error

DfT error

You could go on for hours with the things the great luminaries running the railways missed that everyone else thought of and when I read all these statements about Staines and Maidenhead I see history repeating itself.

... And a lot of then would be down to DfT errors. Especially franchises let as no growth and where there's too many short units.

Given how much that GWR promised as part of its franchise extension and how much they have been crippled by NR taking longer to wire the GWML I would suggest that they aren't doing too badly. Should they have said that ScotRail shouldn't have got their HST's quite so fast, maybe but other than that there's not a lot more that they could do.

However then we would just be having the discussion about why ScotRail was doing badly due to matters beyond their control.

Decisions made 20 years ago, or for that matter 6 years ago, have an impact on the railways now. For instance if Northern had been allowed more units target than a zero growth franchise there would likely be more DMU's to go around now. Likewise if TPE had been allowed their 4 coach 158's and or Southern had been told they could buy new DMU's rather than being left with getting cast offs from the North then there would have been more DMU's to go around.

Likewise if the 2012 franchise for ICWC had gone well there would likely be more 221's for XC to use.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Given how much that GWR promised as part of its franchise extension and how much they have been crippled by NR taking longer to wire the GWML I would suggest that they aren't doing too badly.

Of course, it wasn't the DfT's decision to do a massive marketing campaign trying to encourage leisure passengers to use GWR's service when GWR knew there were going to be severe issues to do with driver training and rolling stock availability that meant many of their services are pretty much useless for leisure passengers right now!

fgwrich

Established Member
Can’t say I’m too impressed with GWR this morning, with my first train running to its usual late schedule and we’re now enjoying the delights of a full and standing IET for the next hour. As expected the measily luggage spaces are not holding up well with more luggage overflowing into the vestibules. At least the guard is apologetic.

jimm

Established Member
The latest letter published by the RMT in April shows the they tried to make the IET trains to Oxford diagrammed DOO from the May timetable so it has clearly gone beyond merely floating proposals. There was also a letter to Kerry McCarthy MP in 2015 in which it is clear that this idea of 'exceptional circumstances' which again is impossible to define, meaning a IET runs DOO is not confined to Oxford.

What on earth are you on about? Do you not understand there is a DOO agreement in place for Paddington-Oxford and there has been since 1992-3 when the Turbos arrived?

In the case of this route and to Bedwyn, there is precisely nothing stopping DOO operation of Class 800s - BUT GWR has stated for a long time now that ALL Cotswold Line IET services will have a train manager on board east of Oxford, which was not always the case in the past on Turbos and still isn't at the moment. There is no agreement with the unions on what might happen in exceptional circumstances, or even what those might be, so no change in operations on other services.

I genuinely don't understand your fascination with Maidenhead. It has nothing to do with capacity in IETs. Reading passengers don't go via Staines in significant numbers and will do so even less with Crossrail, nor do they use stopping services. Commuters do not take the slightest notice of nonsense like a theoretical 10min interchange time at Paddington. If Maidenhead is 46min, Reading will be 56min which is almost exactly the same as today. Unless you are suggesting Reading commuters will physically move to Maidenhead it isn't material?

If your beef is about capacity in the Thames Valley, then any and every bit of new rolling stock operated by GWR or Crossrail and recent and forthcoming timetable changes are all relevant.

And if it's just about Reading, I'm afraid that no one is going to build the entire GWR long-distance operation around what might suit Reading commuters on a 20-minute journey twice a day - which would probably be 10-car IETs just shuttling up and down between Paddington and Reading, with all the lines further west shut down, so there would not be any other passengers to get in their way.

No, you just prefer sweeping, inaccurate statements instead. Picking up on incorrect statements is nothing to do with semantics - it's called getting the facts right.

I never said that there were not occasions that a five-car IET had operated on GWR instead of a 2x5 - but you kept claiming that this is "routine" - for some reason you seem to have stopped now...

Clearly you are not interested in anything anyone else has to say about why 1x6 or 1x7 isn't some masterstroke that the people running GWR - and the rest of us - have missed.

Again what does capacity on suburban services have to do with IETs? This constant focus on irrelevant topics does not inspire confidence.

So we should instead be inspired by your insistence that running 1x10 monster trains all day, every day, everywhere on the GWR network is the only thing that matters? Do me a favour.

If extra capacity is provided on fast outer-suburban services - something that has simply not been possible with the rolling stock GWR had available until recently - then that can provide an attractive extra option for Reading commuters, thus freeing capacity on the long-distance trains.

And there is a big wide world out there west of Reading, where 1x10 trains would be utterly inappropriate much of the time - as would 1x9 or 8 or 7 or even 6 - hence why the GWR fleet includes 1x5 trains - which can also be coupled to make a big train for the peaks that actually fits into the platforms at Paddington.

Why did NR build the Orsdall Curve without Platform 15/16.

Besides 2 kitchens on a service to Bristol looks even more of a waste than it does on Euston - Birmingham with one kitchen. But unlike Great Western, West Coast have very little overcrowing in the peak.

I am plenty old enough to remember all about Operation Princess and to have seen it in action in all its horror at times - and it has nothing to tell us about IET operations on GWR - even the DfT was keen to avoid a Mk2 of that experience.

Why oh why...

Here's some more semantics for you. The 2004-16 Northern franchise was determined to be a 'no growth' one by the DfT, and offered to bidders on that basis - presumably in the face of widespread opinion to the contrary among local passengers, councils and probably the companies that put in bids as well.

You seem to be forgetting that GWR has 35 nine-car IETs on the way, so there won't be two kitchens on rather a lot of Bristol or Cardiff services. Trains which will have 630-odd seats, a good few of which will not see a single person's backside an on off-peak duty all day - never mind adding several dozen more seats in yet another coach.

Not the West Coast comparison again - look at the mix of services on the West Coast, which has meant the DfT never expected Virgin to handle most of the Milton Keynes commuter traffic. The mix of services that is now appearing in stages on the GWML will produce something much more akin to the service pattern on the WCML. Oh, and the West Coast TOCs got plenty of extra and new rolling stock over recent years - about all GWR got was some secondhand HSTs as it constantly tried to play catch-up.

Forgive me is there is precisely zero confidence in the ability of the railways to get anything right on its own, while being openly hostile to constructive criticism.

If only they had listened to you then....

jayah

On Moderation
What on earth are you on about? Do you not understand there is a DOO agreement in place for Paddington-Oxford and there has been since 1992-3 when the Turbos arrived?

In the case of this route and to Bedwyn, there is precisely nothing stopping DOO operation of Class 800s - BUT GWR has stated for a long time now that ALL Cotswold Line IET services will have a train manager on board east of Oxford, which was not always the case in the past on Turbos and still isn't at the moment. There is no agreement with the unions on what might happen in exceptional circumstances, or even what those might be, so no change in operations on other services.

If your beef is about capacity in the Thames Valley, then any and every bit of new rolling stock operated by GWR or Crossrail and recent and forthcoming timetable changes are all relevant.

And if it's just about Reading, I'm afraid that no one is going to build the entire GWR long-distance operation around what might suit Reading commuters on a 20-minute journey twice a day - which would probably be 10-car IETs just shuttling up and down between Paddington and Reading, with all the lines further west shut down, so there would not be any other passengers to get in their way.

No, you just prefer sweeping, inaccurate statements instead. Picking up on incorrect statements is nothing to do with semantics - it's called getting the facts right.

I never said that there were not occasions that a five-car IET had operated on GWR instead of a 2x5 - but you kept claiming that this is "routine" - for some reason you seem to have stopped now...

Clearly you are not interested in anything anyone else has to say about why 1x6 or 1x7 isn't some masterstroke that the people running GWR - and the rest of us - have missed.

So we should instead be inspired by your insistence that running 1x10 monster trains all day, every day, everywhere on the GWR network is the only thing that matters? Do me a favour.

If extra capacity is provided on fast outer-suburban services - something that has simply not been possible with the rolling stock GWR had available until recently - then that can provide an attractive extra option for Reading commuters, thus freeing capacity on the long-distance trains.

And there is a big wide world out there west of Reading, where 1x10 trains would be utterly inappropriate much of the time - as would 1x9 or 8 or 7 or even 6 - hence why the GWR fleet includes 1x5 trains - which can also be coupled to make a big train for the peaks that actually fits into the platforms at Paddington.

I am plenty old enough to remember all about Operation Princess and to have seen it in action in all its horror at times - and it has nothing to tell us about IET operations on GWR - even the DfT was keen to avoid a Mk2 of that experience.

Why oh why...

Here's some more semantics for you. The 2004-16 Northern franchise was determined to be a 'no growth' one by the DfT, and offered to bidders on that basis - presumably in the face of widespread opinion to the contrary among local passengers, councils and probably the companies that put in bids as well.

You seem to be forgetting that GWR has 35 nine-car IETs on the way, so there won't be two kitchens on rather a lot of Bristol or Cardiff services. Trains which will have 630-odd seats, a good few of which will not see a single person's backside an on off-peak duty all day - never mind adding several dozen more seats in yet another coach.

Not the West Coast comparison again - look at the mix of services on the West Coast, which has meant the DfT never expected Virgin to handle most of the Milton Keynes commuter traffic. The mix of services that is now appearing in stages on the GWML will produce something much more akin to the service pattern on the WCML. Oh, and the West Coast TOCs got plenty of extra and new rolling stock over recent years - about all GWR got was some secondhand HSTs as it constantly tried to play catch-up.

If only they had listened to you then....

If there is such an agreement when did a HST last work DOO in service to Oxford since 1992? It is clear that the RMT don't share your view that DOO IETs to Oxford are already covered by an agreement dating from 1992. How was this impasse resolved for the May timetable? Have the RMT agreed?

I don't know why you think I might have retracted my statement that short formed IET services is routine. It is. What I have never said is your allegation that I said it was being done as part of some deliberate conspiracy to annoy customers.

If you want to see some long trains, have a look at Waterloo or Euston in the off peak. This crazy obsession with ensuring there are not too many empty off peak seats even if Reading commuters are still rammed into the new trains just like to old. It is increasingly clear there isn't a credible plan to stop this.

Why go to the trouble of telling everyone there will be a great improvement in capacity when actually the one market suffering from overcrowding is the one you seem to feel isn't worth the trouble?

Again you don't seem to realise you cannot reimagine Reading into Milton Keynes without taking away rather a lot from Reading, so when do you plan on sharing this with the thousands of people you expect to take longer to reach Paddington on this 'improved' railway because they aren't good enough for a long distance train?

Only half of the long distance peak trains will have two kitchens? Is this meant to convince anyone 5 car trains were a good idea? Like many other bad ideas the railway has had, this one will probably come out in the wash.

JN114

Established Member
If there is such an agreement when did a HST last work DOO in service to Oxford since 1992? It is clear that the RMT don't share your view that DOO IETs to Oxford are already covered by an agreement dating from 1992. How was this impasse resolved for the May timetable? Have the RMT agreed?

HSTs have never worked to Oxford DOO(P) because the stock has never been certified for DOO(P) operation.

The DOO agreements are NOT traction specific; they are ROUTE specific.

IETs have been certified for DOO(P). ASLEF have agreed for existing DOO(P) depots to work the trains on existing DOO(P) routes.

They didn’t “get around” it for May TT change. Insufficient LTV drivers sign the traction to make introducing them on Oxford diagrams viable.

The RMT have no say.

jayah

On Moderation
HSTs have never worked to Oxford DOO(P) because the stock has never been certified for DOO(P) operation.

The DOO agreements are NOT traction specific; they are ROUTE specific.

IETs have been certified for DOO(P). ASLEF have agreed for existing DOO(P) depots to work the trains on existing DOO(P) routes.

They didn’t “get around” it for May TT change. Insufficient LTV drivers sign the traction to make introducing them on Oxford diagrams viable.

The RMT have no say.

So in April they published diagrams for IETs to work DOO in service to Oxford. These trains are not operating DOO to Oxford in May? And this remarkable turn of events had nothing to do with the RMT?

The Ham

Established Member

I don't know why you think I might have retracted my statement that short formed IET services is routine. It is. What I have never said is your allegation that I said it was being done as part of some deliberate conspiracy to annoy customers.

If you want to see some long trains, have a look at Waterloo or Euston in the off peak. This crazy obsession with ensuring there are not too many empty off peak seats even if Reading commuters are still rammed into the new trains just like to old. It is increasingly clear there isn't a credible plan to stop this.

Why go to the trouble of telling everyone there will be a great improvement in capacity when actually the one market suffering from overcrowding is the one you seem to feel isn't worth the trouble?

Again you don't seem to realise you cannot reimagine Reading into Milton Keynes without taking away rather a lot from Reading, so when do you plan on sharing this with the thousands of people you expect to take longer to reach Paddington on this 'improved' railway because they aren't good enough for a long distance train?

Only half of the long distance peak trains will have two kitchens? Is this meant to convince anyone 5 car trains were a good idea? Like many other bad ideas the railway has had, this one will probably come out in the wash.

The WCML had lots of short units running on it, they are just run by a different franchise to the intercity franchise. The reason that the Virgin Trains can miss MK is because there's not much scope to change to change to other services. If you tried the she at Reading you would get a LOT more complaints than you do at present about the Reading commuters.

It should also be noted that a lot of the kitchen space is taken up in the non passenger area and so you gain a sum total of 16 seats on the TPE units which have no kitchen. Which is about 5%. Even allowing for the units being run as pairs that's 32 seats. Either way it's hardly a massive difference for a journey that's about 30 minutes.

The one big advantage of stopping at Reading is that if a train is full those traveling further will tend to be able to get a seat at Reading with those getting on at Reading being those who then need to stand.

It should also be noted that due to the introduction of the 80x's there's going to be more services, and so more seats. As such the complaints about extra kitchens and short units will probably not be too much of a problem once the full fleet had been delivered.

Having traveled a lot on SWT and SWR services I can assure you there's a lot of 4, 5 and 6 coach trains running out of Waterloo in the off peaks. There's almost no 12 coach trains off peak and the number of trains which are 9 coaches or more have gone up recently but are still far from universal.

JN114

Established Member
So in April they published diagrams for IETs to work DOO in service to Oxford. These trains are not operating DOO to Oxford in May? And this remarkable turn of events had nothing to do with the RMT?

These trains are currently being worked DOO with Turbos. With 1 or 2 possible exceptions at the moment all Paddington - Oxford services are either DOO Turbos or HSTs.

The delayed deployment of IETs into routine, all-day Padd - Oxford operation displacing the majority of the remaining 16x on this route is entirely down to Driver training being behind schedule.

Again, the RMT have no say in when this happens; as it does not effect their members - nor is it contrary to any agreement currently existent between RMT and GWR.

jayah

On Moderation
The WCML had lots of short units running on it, they are just run by a different franchise to the intercity franchise. The reason that the Virgin Trains can miss MK is because there's not much scope to change to change to other services. If you tried the she at Reading you would get a LOT more complaints than you do at present about the Reading commuters.

It should also be noted that a lot of the kitchen space is taken up in the non passenger area and so you gain a sum total of 16 seats on the TPE units which have no kitchen. Which is about 5%. Even allowing for the units being run as pairs that's 32 seats. Either way it's hardly a massive difference for a journey that's about 30 minutes.

The one big advantage of stopping at Reading is that if a train is full those traveling further will tend to be able to get a seat at Reading with those getting on at Reading being those who then need to stand.

It should also be noted that due to the introduction of the 80x's there's going to be more services, and so more seats. As such the complaints about extra kitchens and short units will probably not be too much of a problem once the full fleet had been delivered.

Having traveled a lot on SWT and SWR services I can assure you there's a lot of 4, 5 and 6 coach trains running out of Waterloo in the off peaks. There's almost no 12 coach trains off peak and the number of trains which are 9 coaches or more have gone up recently but are still far from universal.
I'm not talking about the TPE kitchens. If there is a huge non passenger space at both ends of a 125 mph unit, that is yet another reason not to be coupling the damn things together, along with the duplication of cabs, cooking equipment and double crewing.

I keep hearing about more services. But where will they go unless HeX are evicted, which would be sensible. The Heathrow - Paddington part of the main lines is already maxed out.

Plenty of 10 car off peak formations out of Waterloo and 11 at Euston. But of course with no kitchens and non-passenger zones, commuter TOCs aren't losing a full carriage of seating when the couple their trains. In fact £££ is spent so that they can make their peak trains longer, something that GWR seem hostile to the very suggestion of.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
To be honest, this whole thread probably needs renaming. If we are discussing whether GWR is in decline, the title should not be so conclusive. Otherwise it just comes across as a general forum for TOC-bashing. If I post something that indicates GWR is not in decline, would it also be deemed off-topic?

Perhaps some people should leave the moderation to the moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.