• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The decline of GWR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorsetdesiro

Another disappointing thing about the 800 is the GWR logo pasted on instead of 3D metal cut outs on HSTs. The 3D GWR logo gives a better impression of the Great Western line as a well established & classic service that people travel to Cornwall for many years so some quality is to be expected for a long journey from Paddington. The HST does fulfil this from the quilted leather First Class seating to the lack of ironing boards in Standard.

First Class in the 800 I reckon would not be memorable or enjoyable all the way to Penzance if you've forked out quite a bit for a ticket also if the weather is terrible, not much to see out the window in heavy rain with grey skies!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FenMan

Established Member
GWR's services on the North Downs have continued to chug along nicely (mostly).

The improvement to the Sunday timetable is very welcome.
The downgrade from 166s to 165s - I can live with. Some of the stock is starting to get tatty, but it is used intensively.
It would be excellent if 3tph is introduced on the line, but I'm not holding my breath.

On the downside, the May 2018 timetable is a bit of a mishmash with longstanding good connections being lost or made more awkward at Farnborough North --> Farnborough Main, North Camp --> Ash Vale, Guildford, Redhill and Gatwick - extending journey times or reducing options to (examples) Waterloo, Woking, Aldershot, Farnham, Portsmouth, Brighton, and East Croydon. However connections to Southampton and Birmingham via Reading have improved.

nat67

Established Member
From watching the Paddington 24/7 programme on channel 5 it seems it is not always GWR to blame, some times it should be the BTP that get the fines for wasting time (Not always) rather than GWR always having to pay out for compensation.

I've found that whilst punctuality of the intercity routes has been reasonable; local services have become appallingly unreliable. Average PPM for peak services at my local station now struggles to get above 70%. One service has an average PPM of 51% over the last quarter!

The most fustrating thing seems to be the lack of coordination in the event of disruption. My station gets two peak services to Bristol Parkway per hour. On occasion, one service might be cancelled for a valid reason; only for the second service to then be cancelled in order to make up time (sometimes for as little as 10 minutes down). It just seems like the people at control have no apreciation of the greater picture & the platform of commuters left with no trains for 1hr 30mins.

In GWR's defence, there's plenty of NR activities going on every week that cause disruption - the number of points run-through or left in manual during engineering work over the past few months has become embarrassing!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Station signage is slowly but surely getting done as the FGW branding at Westbury has been removed and replaced with GWR three years after the mass rebranding. The 800's are dreadful and seem to be designed for someone with no legs and what clown thought it was a great idea on putting the table leg on the end of the table rather than somewhere near to the middle as I nearly tripped over the damn thing the other week. The 166's aircon needs to be ripped out and replaced with windows that you can actually open as per the 150's which Northern have now got.

Getting shut of the HST's is a mistake as I'd prefer to travel on them rather than the badly designed 800's

JN114

Established Member
It just seems like the people at control have no apreciation of the greater picture & the platform of commuters left with no trains for 1hr 30mins.

Ironically the people in control wonder if the customers on the platform that come and complain on Internet forums have any appreciation of the greater picture... ;) - perhaps no-one knows what the big picture really shows......

Individuals on one platform isn’t the big picture; but all I can give is my word that they are always considered... No trains for 90 minutes doesn’t sound right though - If there’s any specific situations you want to discuss by PM you’re more than welcome and I can try and explain the rationale.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
As ever , people talk about vinyls and livery ..yawn

How about some noting that GWR are going through a massively failed electrification programme - plans in tatters , stock moves all over the place. Huge infrastructure challenges. Crossrail

A growing patronage in most areas.

But on a day to day basis , endless infrastructure failings on the part of Network Rail.

Anyone here , not a part of the GW team - fancy stepping up to the plate and pulling all this round. ? 24/7 .....

Parallel

Established Member
Usually I'm the first in to drag GWR but I have held back a bit to look at things from both sides.

I am a commuter, and have been commuting only 20 minutes each way (inevitably it usually ends up longer) to Bath Spa. I can't give a straight answer if GWR have declined or not, without subdividing their network into different areas and stock. Firstly, as posted above, they seem to have got Cornwall and Devon right. Well, maybe except the Devon Metro, but generally they seem fairly popular in the far SW. I'm wondering if this was because Wessex Trains were so awful, that GWR look golden in comparison - or perhaps Wessex Trains already set the model and GWR didn't have a lot of work left to do? I'm not sure. I don't know the area well enough. I know that there is a lot of leisure travel in Cornwall so they are currently doing something right. I think GWR idolises Devon/Cornwall, and this can be seen in their advertising and general attitude. I'd imagine the Cornish mainline (at least) can be a fairly lucrative market due to seasonal traffic and long distance travel. There are also three train depots (Exeter; Laira; Long Rock) and 4 staff depots (Exeter, Plymouth, Par, Penzance) so if something goes wrong with staffing or traction, I'd imagine it would be less hassle to find cover compared to other areas of the network. Also many of the branch lines are self-contained throughout the day, removing the need for complex diagrams or junctions where other trains may cross. Although I don't know, I'm not sure if commuting is as intensive compared to other areas. A lot of the local Plymouth stations receive a poor service. Saltash, St Germans, St Budeaux, Dockyard, Devonport, Bere Ferres, Bere Alston, Calstock, Gunnislake and Ivybridge receive an average of 1 train per two hours. It's virtually impossible to use the Newquay line to commute. The Looe Valley line sees its service end early. St Erth isn't a big settlement as a terminus of the St Ives line. I'd argue that bus services in Cornwall get the brunt of the commuting, except maybe Falmouth - Truro which has received infrastructure improvements, allowing for 2tph. I wouldn't say it was "easy" to run Cornwall but it is probably the least foreseeably problematic part of their network.I travelled around Cornwall for three days last week and nothing was significantly delayed, though a 153 broke down on the Looe branch with road transport being provided the rest of the day. The Devon Metro is overwhelmed at peak time, especially as trains are regularly short formed here too with 143s being split to cover other failed trains or 150s/153s that have had to cover services elsewhere.

Next, South Wales - more specifically Swansea to Cardiff which is 1tph for most of the day with intercity stock with (usually) a generous turnaround at Swansea. Due to the current issues with the ATW franchise, GWR would naturally be the preferred choice here. Well, maybe up until a year ago as GWR intercity has become a bit of a laughing stock now (especially at weekends) due to crew shortage and cancelled services. Nevertheless, GWR seems relatively popular between these areas.

Cardiff Central is where things start going a bit wrong. The regional/local services to Portsmouth/Taunton start here (or are supposed to) but regularly don't due to train faults/broken down trains/unavailable train crew members/ signalling problems/ safety checks being made (delete as appropriate) which, granted, are not all down to GWR. All passengers see is 'GWR' on the side of the train, and 'GWR Service' on the station boards, so it is GWR's name that is usually at the front of the upheaval. The problem is with trains due to start from such a big station with long distance travellers, if it starts short (i.e. Newport or Bristol), many passengers are inconvenienced and will have to wait another half an hour at best and an hour at worst. In theory, 45 minutes should be enough time to turn around a train from Portsmouth/Taunton but regularly isn't, which suggests there are bigger issues elsewhere. Yes, you could board another train and change at Bristol Parkway but would that be quicker? Especially if a connecting XC train is delayed as they often are.

The Bristol area is a bit of a nightmare and I would argue a catalyst for a lot of the issues that happen on the GWR network. I'm not sure why but I guess is that it is many smaller multiple failings between GWR and Network Rail. There are a lot of long distance services that pass through the station on intercity and regional routes. The quad-tracking towards Filton will definitely help but I'd argue this should have happened years ago - I think there are too many trains that are currently using the lines through Lawrence Hill. 2 XC per hour, 2 Cardiff per hour, 1 Bristol Parkway local per hour, 1 Gloucester per hour, 3tp2h to Severn Beach and now one express to Paddington per hour. Any minor delay will cause a backlog, and with the Severn Beach trains being likely to be held at a junction before and a tight turnaround both ends with single line in between, it seems difficult to make up time as even if you do terminate the train short, it would normally have to wait for the next train to pass anyway. Bristol Temple Meads is also the land of the musical platforms. Once, my train changed platforms about 5 times, and ultimately ended up omitting my stop due to late running. Exasperating.

Bath Spa doesn't help congestion, due to the nature of just two lines through the station with a mixture of trains using them. Congestion at Bathampton is common, especially in the morning as if the "local" trains are running more than a few minutes late, they will be held for the Bristol fasts to go in front. Take my train this morning for example - it left my local station 9 minutes late, then arrived into Bristol 18 mins late and then ran through to Bristol Parkway omitting Lawrence Hill, Stapleton and Filton. My train home was about 15 mins late - And this is completely normal. The trains bound for Gloucester usually have very tight turnaround times of less than 10 minutes so any kind of delay will see them set off again late, cause congestion all the way to Bathampton and then cause disruption on the single line track to Weymouth, in turn delaying the next northbound working waiting at a passing loop. Realistically, the only thing GWR can do to keep to time is skip Filton, Stapleton Rd and Lawrence Hill, and then skip Bradford and Trowbridge - The latter two having plenty of long suffering commuters and are also two of the busier stations. Cam and Dursley, Yate, Keynsham, Oldfield Park, Freshford and Avoncliff only get 1tph and skipping isn't really an option after Westbury as all stations to Weymouth get an average of 1tp2h. There's also not a lot of recovery time en route for GWR Portsmouth trains.
--

Next, the stock.

Firstly, it's great that GWR has passed over the 150/1s as those were not popular with either leisure travellers or commuters. So kudos for that. Next, the Turbos to Bristol. From a capacity point of view, things seem to have improved during 'normal service' (aka not disruption) so that's good as well. The stand out overcrowding in the area is now definitely the 158s on the Portsmouth services. Despite now having 'more stock', short forms seem more common than before on this route. My train to and from work are booked to be 158 (3 car) + 150. The 150 never seems to turn up on any of them which results in the 158 being completely overwhelmed with people not being able to board from my station onwards. Oh, it's fine, as the next service is booked a Turbo - Except that is running 20 minutes late and today it's a 2-car 158 that's jam packed. The reliability of Turbos seems a little questionable but I guess part of that is the crew getting used to them. GWR has paraded them for years now as solving all of life's problems... But they haven't, and won't. Internally, many seem in rough/ropey condition and generally feel very run down and uncared for. Some of the carpets are so threadbare, they are actually in worse condition than the 158s which are due a refurb, and that's saying something! Now the bulk of the 150s have moved away, we're left with 158s and 166s, both with extremely unreliable aircon and windows that don't open unless you can track down a member of staff which isn't possible if the train is crushloaded. The 3+2 seats haven't been popular with commuters and the WiFi is not reliable.

GWR knew that the Turbos would be moving to the Bristol area some time ago. How have local door controls still not been fitted to all units? Granted, better to run the train than cancelling trains throughout but it's still not really acceptable in my opinion. There are other Turbos fitted with them, can these not be concentrated on routes to Weymouth/Warminster that stop at the local door stations? Can there be another procedure put into place, similar to what happens at Melksham and Stonehouse in the short term? A taxi to Yeovil from Chetnole is fine, except you will probably find the train has left 10 minutes before and you have to wait 2 hours for the next one.

Commuters in the Bristol area have suffered for years.

It's not all doom and gloom, it's just lots of little niggly things that generally add up to a poor experience. It also gives the impression that management at GWR simply don't care or have given up. Lots looks to have been done with minimal cost; paint is flaking off the arm rests on the repainted 158s/150s. Some not yet livered 800s have stains on the grey fabric on the seats. The PIS is unreliable on every single class of train they operate. That said, internally the 158s seem a lot lighter now the blue/purple has gone. I can see why they wouldn't want to spend more they they had to as they may not still have the franchise in a few years.

I'm not going to complain about the 800s too much as they were DfT specified but all I will say is the seats are uncomfortable. I am fairly tall so if sitting with good posture, my shoulders are against part of the head rest which means I have to lean forward. And if I slump, my knees go into the back of their chair in front. I'm not a fan of the seating on HSTs, but at least I can sit up straight on those.

Despite being pretty horrific units for reliability, the 180s were great for comfort with seats that provided good back support (despite being fairly thin) with plenty of leg room. I don't mind the ironing board seats on the 387s for short distances.

I don't know a great deal about the Thames Valley. I know there are issues but to be honest I've only made a few journeys in the area. They were average at best but there does seem to be some congestion problems during the peaks on the Cotswold line.

On the whole, the ground staff are good. The issues on GWR's side appear to be from issues with management higher in the franchise with regards to staffing, maintenance, quality control, planning and future planning. Not to mention a few previous blips with their marketing.

I've waffled a bit but as I'm half enthusiast, half commuter and I definitely think GWR do better with leisure travelling. I don't think there are any quick fixes for Bristol but hopefully improvements will come. GWR inherited Bristol locals from Wessex but there were almost certainly issues then too, but due to the nature of how congested our cities are with more people choosing rail, this has definitely worsened in recent years.

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
Station signage is slowly but surely getting done as the FGW branding at Westbury has been removed and replaced with GWR three years after the mass rebranding. The 800's are dreadful and seem to be designed for someone with no legs and what clown thought it was a great idea on putting the table leg on the end of the table rather than somewhere near to the middle as I nearly tripped over the damn thing the other week. The 166's aircon needs to be ripped out and replaced with windows that you can actually open as per the 150's which Northern have now got.

Getting shut of the HST's is a mistake as I'd prefer to travel on them rather than the badly designed 800's
We seemed to follow people around Cornwall and Devon last week, who were rebranding stations! We saw them at Camborne, then Bodmin Parkway, Par, Liskeard, and lastly Plymouth. :lol: It was surreal at Bodmin Parkway as they had stripped the signs first, revealing the 'Wessex Trains' branding underneath. It felt like I had fallen into a time warp and had ended up pre-2006...

E_Reeves

Established Member
I've personally never had any issues with GWR. They get me where I want to go and the new liveried stock is kept to quite a nice standard IME.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I've personally never had any issues with GWR. They get me where I want to go and the new liveried stock is kept to quite a nice standard IME.
It would have been good to have heard which route you travel, so that we can relate your experience to that of Parallel.

Parallel

Established Member
It would have been good to have heard which route you travel, so that we can relate your experience to that of Parallel.
I've attached RTT of passenger services through my local station. Things aren't usually this bad but peak time services tend to be the least reliable (not surprisingly) on a day to day basis. Just unfortunate this was my first day back after a holiday. :lol: :lol:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/TRO/2018/04/18/0730-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

tbtc

Veteran Member
You could say that, but other lines don't have a lengthy list of short forms & cancellations daily.

Other lines do see short forms and cancellations - look at the list of short formations that EMT have just published to cover a lack of fit DMUs - TSGN have had strikes and other industrial action impacting upon capacity for some time now - any thread about Northern on this Forum will see people pointing out the number of services that are canceled or inappropriate units substituted.

Yes there's lots of decent stuff to look forward to in terms of capacity and timetable improvements but actually people are judging GWR on how their service is now, because they're travelling now. I think the extent to which things will improve is overstated anyway as the same problems with the infrastructure and the overall fragility of the network essentially running at capacity will persist regardless, if not being exacerbated by trying to run more trains in the first place.

If staff morale is as low as thelongestroad says it is, and management are as detached as they sound they will struggle to reach their 'isn't everything lovely' vision as its railway people who make the railway work: VTEC & GTR seem to have similar problems and of course that is reflected in the quality of the service, as is well documented on here in both instances.

There's "jam tomorrow" for GWR passengers, but also "jam today" too. They've got 800s operating InterCity services out of Paddington, they've got 378s running through the Thames Valley - they've seen these new trains allow a cascade of midlife Turbos to Bristol. Electrification is happening.

At the same time that GWR have seen brand new InterCity trains, the other LDHS TOCs are still running with the same old stock that they've had for the past decade or so (albeit EMT are getting some 1970s HSTs from Grand Central).

Things always look bleak today and our local TOCs always look like they are struggling compared to elsewhere, but I've argue that GWR have had a pretty good time in recent years and have further improvements to look forward to. Not as many improvements as they could be (the wires won't reach Bristol or Oxford or Swansea any time soon, but more of the GWML is being electrified than the previous commitments to wire routes like Midland Main Line and Trans-Pennine).

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
We seemed to follow people around Cornwall and Devon last week, who were rebranding stations! We saw them at Camborne, then Bodmin Parkway, Par, Liskeard, and lastly Plymouth. :lol: It was surreal at Bodmin Parkway as they had stripped the signs first, revealing the 'Wessex Trains' branding underneath. It felt like I had fallen into a time warp and had ended up pre-2006...

I know that Trowbridge was done sometime last year along with Bath Spa.

No idea as I didn't take any notice if Freshford, Avoncliff or Bradford was GWRified but I'm guessing that they're next if they haven't been done already. Bradford still has its FGW Welcome to Bradford on Avon mat in the the waiting room.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Seriously overcrowded, often late, and with non-functional aircon on Class 166s (and then they even had the cheek to lock the windows when it still wasn't working; fortunately my house key opens them).

Poor is the only word for it.

No idea as I didn't take any notice if Freshford, Avoncliff or Bradford was GWRified but I'm guessing that they're next if they haven't been done already. Bradford still has its FGW Welcome to Bradford on Avon mat in the the waiting room.

Midgham & many Thames Valley stations still have the Original NSE signs!

jimm

Established Member
Next, the stock.

Firstly, it's great that GWR has passed over the 150/1s as those were not popular with either leisure travellers or commuters. So kudos for that. Next, the Turbos to Bristol. From a capacity point of view, things seem to have improved during 'normal service' (aka not disruption) so that's good as well. The stand out overcrowding in the area is now definitely the 158s on the Portsmouth services. Despite now having 'more stock', short forms seem more common than before on this route. My train to and from work are booked to be 158 (3 car) + 150. The 150 never seems to turn up on any of them which results in the 158 being completely overwhelmed with people not being able to board from my station onwards. Oh, it's fine, as the next service is booked a Turbo - Except that is running 20 minutes late and today it's a 2-car 158 that's jam packed. The reliability of Turbos seems a little questionable but I guess part of that is the crew getting used to them. GWR has paraded them for years now as solving all of life's problems... But they haven't, and won't. Internally, many seem in rough/ropey condition and generally feel very run down and uncared for. Some of the carpets are so threadbare, they are actually in worse condition than the 158s which are due a refurb, and that's saying something! Now the bulk of the 150s have moved away, we're left with 158s and 166s, both with extremely unreliable aircon and windows that don't open unless you can track down a member of staff which isn't possible if the train is crushloaded. The 3+2 seats haven't been popular with commuters and the WiFi is not reliable.

GWR knew that the Turbos would be moving to the Bristol area some time ago. How have local door controls still not been fitted to all units? Granted, better to run the train than cancelling trains throughout but it's still not really acceptable in my opinion. There are other Turbos fitted with them, can these not be concentrated on routes to Weymouth/Warminster that stop at the local door stations? Can there be another procedure put into place, similar to what happens at Melksham and Stonehouse in the short term? A taxi to Yeovil from Chetnole is fine, except you will probably find the train has left 10 minutes before and you have to wait 2 hours for the next one.

What makes you think the Turbos aren't due an interior facelift as well? They have been hammered up and down the Thames Valley and in the Cotswolds for years now - and are a generally very reliable bit of kit, in spite of the punishment they get.

With the need to have two sets at a time away at Wolverton for fitting of the accessible toilets - a programme that has been running for three years or so and is only just nearing completion - there simply hasn't been the time or flexibility in the fleet to do any other work to the interiors, never mind fit selective door kit, which has only begun since sets started to move to Bristol and isn't exactly a five-minute job.

On the whole, the ground staff are good. The issues on GWR's side appear to be from issues with management higher in the franchise with regards to staffing, maintenance, quality control, planning and future planning. Not to mention a few previous blips with their marketing.

I would dearly love to know how any management team would have got through the perfect storm of problems landed at GWR's door by the delays to the electrification programme and some of the associated resignalling schemes - which made a complete mess of all the initial planning that had been done on the basis that Thames Valley emus would all be in traffic in late 2016/early 2017, followed by the IETs arriving, and with the resulting move to the west of Turbos spread over a longer period - and get all the necessary staff training done. In addition, a fair number of maintenance depot staff have left GWR to move to work for Hitachi. Never mind the usual litany of infrastructure issues that are out of GWR's hands anyway.

As for staffing, I've already said it twice elsewhere, but I'll say it again, GWR has more drivers on its books than ever at present - but with the training programme condensed into a far shorter period, rather than being spread over two to three years, lots of them are being trained at the moment rather than being available to drive passenger trains.

richw

Veteran Member
Meanwhile, ask anyone who travels regularly. In Cornwall and you get the response " don't want anyone else " ... . Timetable and stock improvements both now and future.
There were big fears down here last franchise change about somebody else getting it and word is its a big no no re franchise split last consultation. The GWR franchise spans different areas with different needs which everyone needs to bear in mind when being critical

The reality is they are doing a good job here.
Station staff and onboard staff are great, and seem to take pride in their work, platforms, and trains.
I can’t remember the last instance I was left dissatisfied.

The OP mentions lack of cheap advances. Is this particularly at weekends? Network rail can have the blame for that as they aren’t announcing blockades very far in advance. They can’t sell weekend advances until they know what nowork rail are going to block.

Senga1001

I travel on the Gloucester to Bristol TM local service and the Cheltenham to Paddington long distance service both twice a week. My personal experience is that in aggregate the local service is improving and the longer distance service is declining.

The local has benefited from the extra capacity provided by cascade of the class 165/166 units which has also positively impacted time keeping. I often used the 1741 from TM to Gloucester where GWR routinely tried to cram over four coaches of people onto a two car 150/158 which lead to serious overcrowding and lost time at Filton and Bristol Parkway. The extra platform at Parkway has also improved timekeeping.

On the long distance service short HST formations (down one standard class carriage) seem to be the norm now which is ok for me as I get on at Stonehouse but less good further down the line. There also seem to be more HST’s running on reduced power or only one unit.

Network rail delays seem to have significantly increased to the extent to which a rush hour signal failure or overhead line power failure is more often than not. Fortunately most are of the 15 minute delay rather than longer. On the positive side NR is currently extending the platforms at Stonehouse so the “front two carriages only” exit requirement there will soon be a thing of the past.

Another real frustration is what must be new instructions to the Gateline people at Paddington who seem to hold off boarding trains till a lot later than used to be the case. This is not great with the heavily loaded rush hour trains.

Like most others I find the class 800 a marked reduction in quality compared to the HST and I hate to think what they will be like in a couple of years time. The trolley service is a particular low point.

So a mixed bag but as someone who commuted on the Sidcup line to Dartford as the old EPB stock was being phased out things could be a lot grimmer and at least GWR has not resorted to the Kepis and yellow scarves that Connex used.

The Ham

Established Member
It also needs to be remembered that there was talk that the TV electric units which were being discussed at one point was the 319's, and although some services may still see them, the 387's would appear to be a much better unit type.

GWR have certainly aimed high and have missed but if they hadn't, and had just gone with the perceived wisdom, then we could be in a fairly different place. Quite possibly with a much more negative view than us the current one.

Parallel

Established Member

Freshford And Avoncliff haven’t been done - they received new station name plates a few months before everything started going green!

whhistle

On Moderation
No opening windows in vestibules when your packed I'm and need some air.
Too many people trying to claim because they nearly got their head bashed.
I'd vote to go back to how things were in the 80s with regard to this sort of thing. Too many people who don't do sensible things, then look for someone else to blame when it goes wrong to save face.

I wonder if this has something to do with First?
They're desperate to get rid of their bus operation, so perhaps it's rippled through to the trains.

nat67

Established Member
From a member of staff’s perspective: things have been going downhill since last summer. Morale is very low and daily widespread disruption is part of the norm. Senior management seem detached from reality.

Basically, GWR doesn’t care any more and it shows.
Its quite sad really as one of the names was 'Gods wonderful railway' and is now 'Gone with regret'. Your right about the wide spread disruption though and sometimes I have noticed that a dispatcher I have seen who is desperate needs to when closing a slam door he needs to put both hands on the door and push it when ii is clearly closed and tap the door handle several times when its in the horizontal position. I no he is just doing his job but that;s a bit to desperate. (health & safety)

mrcheek

Established Member
First Class in the 800 I reckon would not be memorable or enjoyable all the way to Penzance if you've forked out quite a bit for a ticket also if the weather is terrible, not much to see out the window in heavy rain with grey skies!

Yes, declining weather is clearly something we can blame GWR for

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Another problem GWR have is a shortage of units on a daily basis resulting in many short formed trains or even cancellations due to "more trains than usual undergoing maintenance and we are working hard to get them back into traffic" or words to that effect. Unfortunately, more than usual has now become the norm as this occurs on day in and day out basis and has done for nearly a year now. Many staff left St Philips Marsh, Bristol, for Hitachi when they set up their Depot at Stoke Gifford on the outskirts of Bristol.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Its quite sad really as one of the names was 'Gods wonderful railway' and is now 'Gone with regret'. Your right about the wide spread disruption though and sometimes I have noticed that a dispatcher I have seen who is desperate needs to when closing a slam door he needs to put both hands on the door and push it when ii is clearly closed and tap the door handle several times when its in the horizontal position. I no he is just doing his job but that;s a bit to desperate. (health & safety)
Gods worst railway is another nickname or Gone wrong railway or got wonky rails or goes wrong regularly

Ironically the people in control wonder if the customers on the platform that come and complain on Internet forums have any appreciation of the greater picture... ;) - perhaps no-one knows what the big picture really shows......

Individuals on one platform isn’t the big picture; but all I can give is my word that they are always considered... No trains for 90 minutes doesn’t sound right though - If there’s any specific situations you want to discuss by PM you’re more than welcome and I can try and explain the rationale.

I appreciate both sides of the coin - I've spent a little bit of time in control centres and understand that sometimes unpopular decisions do have to be made. If a service isn't cancelled, the delays in the return services for that stock will just trickle on and on, etc etc. My gripe isn't so much in why the services are cancelled, more regarding the context. Out of interest, when deciding to cancel intermediate stops, to what extent is that decision taken objectively; or will the cancellations of any proceeding services play a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.