• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The end of an era..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JGR

Bridge of Allan still uses platform CRTs and doesn't have any other screens aside from a TVM. If I remember rightly some of the other stations on the route from there to Glasgow/Edinburgh still have platform CRTs too.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Did Bristol have these CRT monitors on the platforms too?

Yep, the same green ones as at Exeter, in fact, it still did have last Tuesday, but it definitely seems that that is an LCD one being put up in that picture you posted.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Bristol TM still had CRTs in use last night, however LEDs are in place in packaging alongside many of them.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Norwich and Nottingham had CRT the last time I was there, unsure as to if they have been replaced or not..

The CRT screens at Nottingham have been replaced by LED screens in the last year or so - the only remaining screens were those listing all departures and arrivals at the bottom of the stairs to the platforms.

From a visit last Wednesday, I can say that Lewes and Hampden Park retain CRT screens too.

p123

Partick still has them on the platforms. 2 on each platform!

They occasionally break and never seem that healthy, yet often still manage to survive through rain, thunder, snow, wind and everything else that gets thrown at them.

I was surprised they weren't replaced during the refurb a few years ago!

David Goddard

Established Member
Just returned from our All Line Rover and noted CRT screens still in place at quite a number of stations. These have truly lasted the test of time, and for the most part still work well. Will truly be a sad day when they have all gone.

The new tall portrait format screens (as installed at York) are a better replacement for the CRTs, as opposed to the scrolling text displays.

I prefer to see a list of calling points rather than having to wait for the text to scroll past at speed.

Gareth

Established Member
Birmingham New Street seems to have rather dated TV monitors on the platforms. It really surprises me how retro New Street is. I saw a rather splendid, large digital clock too. The digits seemed physical/mechanical, like those old Network South East ones.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The only refurbed platform at New St (p1) has new LED screens, identical to those at Derby and Sheffield, so I assume they're being roled out station-wide.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Worcester Foregate Street, Shrub Hill and Droitwich Spa all still have CRT monitors either on the platform or in the ticket office/waiting room, along with their more modern LED counterparts.

David Goddard

Established Member
Birminghams New Street seems to have rather dated TV monitors on the platforms. It really surprises me how retro New Street is. I saw a rather splendid, large digital clock too. The digits seemed physical/mechanical, like those pld Network South East ones.

New Street also retains a number of flourescent light fittings with the station name on the diffuser. Kings Cross sis have some until a while back, but may have gone now.
It is delightful to see these, and there is also a pair in place at Chester (but dont attempt to photograph them as they are in a secure area and you will get told off!)

Harbon 1

Haymarket had them, at concourse level at least, last time I was there. I remember them because at concourse they show the reporting number

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The majority of ScotRail stations still have them across the East and Central Belt.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Bank Quay has both LEDs and LCDs, no CRTs though I don't think: IIRC all VT-managed stations have this set-up. Piccadilly retains CRTs on the platforms.

Last edited:

Jonfun

Established Member
You sure Piccadilly still has CRT displays? I'm fairly sure the last remaining ones were replaced a good while ago in favour of LCD and LED displays. Though it wouldn't surprise me if there's one tucked away in some corner of the station that I rarely use!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You sure Piccadilly still has CRT displays? I'm fairly sure the last remaining ones were replaced a good while ago in favour of LCD and LED displays. Though it wouldn't surprise me if there's one tucked away in some corner of the station that I rarely use!

Sorry, yes, no more remain. I think the last to go were on 13 / 14, and they've been gone a few months.

PR1Berske

Established Member
What I don't like, which might be a separate thread, is those display screens which show up a warning as well as destination points or, even worse, full platform departures. We don't need to see "Security alert - blah blah" on a rota every 45 seconds.

Temple Meads

Established Member
What I don't like, which might be a separate thread, is those display screens which show up a warning as well as destination points or, even worse, full platform departures. We don't need to see "Security alert - blah blah" on a rota every 45 seconds.

I know exactly what you mean, and the new gen LCD screens seem to be bad in this respect :(

We have enough damn security/safety announcements, without having them on screens as well.

Dumpton Park

Quite a few East Kent stations still have CRTs on the concourse and for lists of departures/arrivals on the platforms - Ramsgate and the two Canterburys for example.

Dp

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Norwich and stations out to Sheringham, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft where passenger information screens are still CRT's :D I must admit, I hardly look at them anymore.

TP

Schnellzug

Established Member
They were dreadful, those things, impossible to see in sunlight, and when it wasn't, they were often so flickery and wobbly that you could hardly read anything.
That's one area where I think SWT got it right, with the LCD Screens. And they don't put pointless "warnings" about "Security" or "taking care when going down the Stairs" or "make sure you've tied your shoelaces".

Status
Not open for further replies.