• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Germans are on strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
bahn.de is showing Brussels and Amsterdam services for friday (and Paris-Frankfurt). However most domestic ICEs/ICs & ECs seem cancelled

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Hmm shows 2 departures at same time for me - which is confusing lol

Id rather not waste 4 hours going and having to change twice so can anyone decipher for me please as im rubbish at this.

Attachments

• germany.JPG
    germany.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 30

gordonthemoron

Established Member
there's just one departure from Brussels but you can change at Cologne & Mainz if you want. Sometimes that might be cheaper but as one of the connections is not running, it's pointless

Clip

Established Member
Ahh ok - confusing a little compared to here but as we are booked all the way through then no need for a change and it is still running. Sweet sherrys all round :lol:

duesselmartin

Established Member
that Thalys were unaffected is good. I am planning a trip to Belgium soon.
As to the GDL, they are not just damaging Deutsche Bahn, but industries relying on freight, tourism and most of all, they have brought down the reputation of unions to an all time low.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
that Thalys were unaffected is good. I am planning a trip to Belgium soon.
As to the GDL, they are not just damaging Deutsche Bahn, but industries relying on freight, tourism and most of all, they have brought down the reputation of unions to an all time low.

Have the German Government tried to get involved to get the situation resolved?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Am going to Dortmund on Sat, does this affect local transport e.g getting from airport? BvB are playing Gladbach on the Sun-surely this will have an impact on travelling fans?

Veteran Member
Am going to Dortmund on Sat, does this affect local transport e.g getting from airport? BvB are playing Gladbach on the Sun-surely this will have an impact on travelling fans?

Don't think DTM is rail served so shouldn't be too bad.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
I was on the 0626 from Brussels last Thur and that was crewed by French speaking crews. Are the ICE's from Brussels staffed by Belgian crews?

I've never come across a French-speaking crew before on these ICEs.

I understand the Gewerkschaft Deutscher Lokführer is demanding a 15% increase in pay rather than the 5% offered by DB and wants to be able to represent platform staff and shunting drivers as well. How high is drivers' pay generally in Germany?

My views from what I know about the strike:

I appreciate the importance of trade unions in an astoundingly and increasingly unequal world and support the strengthening of the rights of trade unions, but note some issues with rail strikes:
- the railway is in competition with the car and the social and environmental benefits which rail often has are not included in the economics, and strikes can greatly undermine people's confidence in the railway.
- (relates to all strikes) unions act in the interest of their members - this is likely to be in the interest of the general public, but may not be (e.g. the debate about driver only operation of local services in the North of England - the unions are claiming that it is unsafe).

Ideally strike action should hit management rather than service users (e.g. rail staff could not sell or check tickets) but there are problems with this (e.g. these staff are doing different jobs to drivers and may not be in the same union).

In Germany there is a tradition of unions being represented on the boards of companies and I think this should be an excellent alternative to a culture of "them" and "us", is this being undermined at the moment?

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Well they are working. Sat on me train now. Shame I got a backwards seat but ch is life.

First trip on the ICE so an adventure all round.

duesselmartin

Established Member
this strike phase will end early. GDL members will resume work on Saturday at 6pm meaning services should run normally from sunday.

WestCoast

Established Member
Munich Hbf seemed a little quiet this morning, with a crowd huddling around the departure screens. There did seem to be a fairly steady flow of departures, however noticeably fewer than normal. Of course all the private trains were running and that makes up a fair proportion of departures these days.

Fortunately, no strikes at ÖBB so I'm on the (very nice) Railjet on the Westbahn heading to Vienna. :D

Last edited:

duesselmartin

Established Member
Hi Westcoast.
I have never been on RJ, but reading the Drehscheibe Forum one would think that Railjet must be awful. Is that just us Germans being negative about everything again? ;)
Martin

WestCoast

Established Member
Hi Westcoast.
I have never been on RJ, but reading the Drehscheibe Forum one would think that Railjet must be awful. Is that just us Germans being negative about everything again? ;)
Martin

I think the RJ is one of the best long-distance trains in Europe, but I'm trying out the completion today in the form of a Westbahn Stadler KISS.:p

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Hi Westcoast.
Martin

They are very good Siemens loco hauled coaches, spacious, smooth and quiet.
But I didn't find the seat alignment particularly good when I used one.
The most annoying feature is that every coach has a giant Railjet logo stencilled over the windows of one half - the half nearest the loco I think.
These windows therefore have a partially obstructed view - you can find yourself staring at the top part of a "j" instead of the Alps.

Veteran Member
Hi Westcoast.
Martin

Part of the answer is in LNW-GWs post, but some Drehscheibe members want proper compartments (and preferably opening windows ☺). Mind you, I did like the old 4010s too. ...

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
They are very good Siemens loco hauled coaches, spacious, smooth and quiet.
But I didn't find the seat alignment particularly good when I used one.
The most annoying feature is that every coach has a giant Railjet logo stencilled over the windows of one half - the half nearest the loco I think.
These windows therefore have a partially obstructed view - you can find yourself staring at the top part of a "j" instead of the Alps.

Yes, I agree, it is annoying when train or bus firms have their logo stenciled over the windows etc. I too like to see the scenery when I am travelling.

Modern trains in the UK and Europe also seem to have annoying seat/window alignments, (or lack of), I suppose it's to get more seat/passengers in each coach.

Hope the German strike problems are soon sorted out. All being well I hope top be there again later in the year.

Has the German Government tried to intervene to help sort things out?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Part of the answer is in LNW-GWs post, but some Drehscheibe members want proper compartments (and preferably opening windows ☺). Mind you, I did like the old 4010s too. ...

also, the 2nd class coaches have lino rather than carpets and the seats backs are too vertical. It has a very cheap and nasty feel, unlike ICEs but quite similar to Meridian

blackfive460

Hope the German strike problems are soon sorted out. All being well I hope top be there again later in the year.

Has the German Government tried to intervene to help sort things out?

Dragging this back on topic...

Although I haven't been able to find any real detail (my German isn't up to it) there is supposed to be draft legislation appearing this month which is intended to stop small groups of workers from crippling large parts of the country's transport infrastructure, such as rail and air travel.

radamfi

Established Member
Is it possible to reserve seats on RailJet which are not obscured by writing?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is it possible to reserve seats on RailJet which are not obscured by writing?

If you reserve a seat in the "DVT/First Class" half of the coach (ie not the "Loco" end) you should be OK.
At least that's what worked on my trip.
seat61 has links to seat maps: http://www.stscms.com/FileUpload/files/media/1872
The logos are over the windows at the end with high seat numbers.

WestCoast

Established Member
also, the 2nd class coaches have lino rather than carpets and the seats backs are too vertical. It has a very cheap and nasty feel, unlike ICEs but quite similar to Meridian

I see, I was in 1st so I can't comment on the rest of the train!

blackfive460

Current information on GDL's dispute with DB (which is what this thread is about) is that they have agreed to re-enter into negotiations, probably starting on 18th November. Further negotiation including EVG should follow a few days later.
Hopefully this means that they won't be calling for any stoppages until after those negotiations conclude.

News story in German here...

blackfive460

Better news...

There was another meeting between the parties involved last Friday which, according to news reports has made some progress.
GDL have said no more strikes until 3rd December but there is a further meeting planned for 12th December so maybe, just maybe, there will be nothing further until after that date.
I've not found any news in English but there are plenty of reports in the German press. Just do a Google news search for 'GDL streik'.

blackfive460

How not to run a labour dispute...

Claus Weselsky's latest statement in advance of the negotiations set for 12th December was the they were giving DB a final chance and should this fail then the would be 'massive strikes in January'!

blackfive460

The latest threat from GDL, actually from Beamtenbund who look after the funds which pay the driver's salaries while they are striking, is that they have plenty of money in their coffers so can back extensive strikes in January if, or perhaps when, the negotiations happening now break down.

However, the German Government is on the case according to the FT.

Angela Merkel’s government has approved draft legislation that curbs the ability of small but influential unions to bring large parts of the German economy to a halt.

In a country where economic success has been built on pay restraint and consensual labour relations, unpopular strikes that crippled the transport network helped pave the way for a clampdown on union power.

Status
Not open for further replies.