• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great Circular European Railway Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickpop

Standard gauge transporters for NG stock might be used to transfer stuff to and from workshops. This photo from Kalka shows some KS coaches in transit on transporters.

You might be i nterested in this rather rambling thread where gauntletting of NG tracks has been discussed along with all sorts of stuff.

http://www.indiamike.com/india/indian-railways-f10/train-talk-chai-and-choo-choos-t168168/

Sorry, forgot about that. I have a picture somewhere of a Dholpur based tank loco on a standard gauge wagon in Gwalior station, no doubt en-route to works.

Of course we, in the past, [we being the Welsh to be more specific] had the possibly unique situation of 1' 11.25'' inch gauge wagons being carried on 3' gauge wagons. This was on the Padarn Railway that ran from Llanberis to Port Dinorwic. The smaller gauge wagons loaded with slate were loaded directly onto the larger wagons. The current Llanberis Lakeside Railway runs on part of the trackbed of the 3' line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glenmutchkin

I'm pretty certain that the Padarn was 4 foot gauge. I've seen a photo somewhere of these transporters in use. They packed very neatly.

Mark_Lester

I am putting together a post about European stations, both the ones we will do, and for the shameless purpose of SEO those we wont but should be included in any list.

Here is an initial list of note worthy stuff that we will do as a matter of course
St Pancras
Amsterdam Centraal
Copenhagen
Stockholm Underground (I just found out about this, it's fab, def needs working into the plan. T-centralen is an obvious, I've just opened up a VT thread asking for a 2nd station, and also about picnic vendors and these wonderful smörgåstårta savoury gateaux things)
Berlin Hauptbahnhof
Zagreb (??, not bad I guess but not really a world beater)
Vatican
Milan Centrale
Ospizio Bernina (OK, not an architectural wonder but worth any list of stations that we are doing)
Madrid Atocha
Lisbon Oriente
Le Train Bleu (OK, not a station but makes Gare du Lyon a hit)
Gare du Nord (not sure if that deserves listing personally, it was just on one of the lists I've amalgamated, but may be I never paid attention)
The metro entrance at Montmartre is supposedly one of the two remaining original art deco.

Here's some other stuff that turns up on "best stations" threads on skyscraper etc. which I will add as an addendum.
Antwerp (we go through but wont possibly see any of it from down there)
Canfranc
Liege
Strasbourg
Leipzig
Istanbul, sireki and haydarpasa
Helsinki
Valencia
Moscow Metro (I'll do a long one on this and absolve myself of my Ruski bashing. I am told that Yekaterinburg's modest underground is also worth noting, Uralskya station is as good as Moscow's best)

I'd also stick in Manchester Central and York, and for that matter Paddington, they are perhaps best put together as a "see also" wrt St Panc's roof.

This "what we wont do" list is obviously potentially endless, but if you've got a fave that should be mentioned please hand it in. But the "what we will do" is an important part of this next planing phase as we revisit these urban plans as I've gone off doing anything too stressful.

Glenmutchkin

The Tunnelbana features a bit in the Steig Larsson trilogy. Don't know if it makes it to the screen.

It must be about time to unleash the cultural sub thread

Mark_Lester

for the tunnelbana, Fridhemsplan has some good stuff, but I am thinking we might be better with an anticlockwise circuit, do this durgarden ferry from gamla stan, and aim for the saluhall, which is a feature in itself, for 9:00. oh dash, scrub that, it doesnt open till 9:30. that's a real shame, I've been there it's really fab.

a google search on supermarkets shows there isnt anything near the main station, but there are several next to fridhemsplan, so as you were, make for dugarden, ferry to gamla stan, then green line to fridhemsplan, supplies, and back.
radhuset, the only stop between fridhemsplan and central on the red line, also has some good cave stuff too, so it's actually worth getting off and catching the next train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I found these people, who claim to do delivery of my smorgastarta
http://smorgasbaren.se/
which is ideal. But she's on holiday at the moment she says, I know from experience that the whole of Sweden goes on holiday, no matter what, at this time of year. So that could be a problem if these people just shut off during the summer.
I know a couple of swedes but I should probably let them forget about the football, and get back off holiday, before asking for info.

If we get the ferry from Gamla stan, we can get a bus 44 to Stadion which is worth looking at
http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html
then tube it to Fridhemsplan, where I think we've got several supermarkets for general picnic stuff, though I havent verified opening times, then tube back to Central possibly with a hop off at Radhuset or even accidentally getting the wrong train and going 2 stops down to Solna and then back.
The ICA (ee-kah) at Fridhemsplan is open from 8am "alla dagar". ICA Maxi can do the smorgastarta, but they seem to be drive in super stores. There's one not far from Fridhemsplan but it will be a pain to do.

Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

A 24 hour pass for Stockholm public transport is 115 krona - about £10.50 - plus 20 krona to buy the card to put the credits on.

I found this quote on Wiki
By one measure—single ticket price for a 10-kilometre (6.2 mi) journey—Stockholm has the most expensive-to-use public transport in the world, as of March 2009

I expect that Boris will rise to the Challenge.

Last edited:

Mark_Lester

http://w3.srbrail.rs/zsredvoznje/?lang=en
unseen by bahn.de, there is a direct train at 08:05 from belgrade to sarajevo, getting in at 17:35, which gives us some time to actually do some sarajevo. the incoming from skopje is notoriously late, but it's got over 2 hours to play with, and there is the fall back of the 10:28.

Mark_Lester

OK, lets get going again on this. We should try out payume again, it had gone bonkers on me but we can try it again.
Stoy has done a spot check on the Sofia pit stop and approves, we need to pick somewhere for Sarajevo yet but there seems to be literally dozens of appropriate options for that. I suspect we are looking at 12 people once we get past Vienna.

I am waiting for BV and MT on facebook to reply to my "put up or shut up" latest mail, they've got till 1st september to respond at which point I'll just prune them if they cant be bothered to talk to me, there's a limit to how much effort I am prepared to put into chasing folks.

Once I've got any remaining ditherers nailed one way or t'other, I vote we should book at least one spare bed and spread that out, depending on what size these dorms are (that may happen anyway, we'll see). It's only Narvik and Venice that wil need paying for this side of new year.

I have to confess to wandering off into GC-PRC-RC territory, or my "not the trans siberian express" project. Open street map is claiming the line from kars in eastern turkey to tblisi is already built, that's not quite true, but by all accounts it will be next year. So 2015 here we come. I'm hoping to cook up something that will go via Vanino, which is way north or Vladivostok and seems to be the easternmost mainland track (russia fyi has a border with north korea, china has no coast east of korea), This is where you get the ferry to Sakalin from anyway.
Then via sakalin, japan, south korea, then a loop around the south of china via kunming and back via kazakhstan, and may be uzbekistan, and do this kars line. i.e out via the trans-sib but back via urumqi/almaty. 4 boats to get to and from japan and around n.korea, and may be another across the caspian if we go for uzbekistan (it would save an extra, stupidly expensive, russian visa) . the only fesible way of doing lhasa, short of going back and forth, is to fly alas, though I would dearly love to get a jeep along the stilwell road, do a bit of India including north of the Bramaputra, then road it to lhasa, but it would add over a week at least and isnt even open anyway.

It will be proper dear obviously. Visas for that lot alone are prob not going to give much change out of £500 (russia £150ish, china 70ish I think, kazakhstan, uzbekistan, azerjaiban all £100ish, so that's a monkey already) I guess that wont be much less than 10% of the trip either.
It would take ages too, but if it can be done inside a month then, for a 30 day trip, it will take some beating. Anyway, once we've nailed these tickets in feb we can waste endless amounts of time analysing all that.

Last edited:

Mark_Lester

Dear Mark Lester

I believe that it is time you were outed as a Siderodromologist

A. Nony-mouse
Well, I dont think there's any denying that.
I've calmed down a little, it's not really feasible is it, though I am intrigued at the possiblity of the chinese building a railway into Burma, and out the other end to Chttagong, and the resultant possible Kanyamkurai to Thurso Tamildonian express.

Meanwhile, that line we wanted to get on GCIRC, north of the Brahmaputra in Assam, is still shut for gauge conversion and no one is prepared to commit to a year, let alone a month, when it will come back. But if China were to even suggest building a railway across that border the Indians would be getting their nukes in twist over it and piling in the troops.

Anyway, we're still in stasis on the current objective, we should wait till september proper before getting on with these two hotel bookings. If anyone does commit late (Ruth said feb should be fine for the actual ticket booking) then they'll just have to work the hotels out themselves and suffer (or benefit I guess) from not being in the GCERC peleton come bedtime. But now you are back lets try and do as scottish pound note on payume.
the other intriguing bit though on this not the trans-sib route, is going via turkmenbashi, in turkmenistan, a place that mark smith hasnt even got listed!, how cool is that!. then on the soon to be opened tblisi-kars line.

Last edited:

TGV

Gare Montparnasse in Paris has gardens on the roof if that helps it qualify.

The gardens on the roof of Montparnasse are the definition of "polishing a turd". It is an awful station. Concrete, dark, dirty, freezing cold in winter, poor natural light, poor retail and refreshments... And there is a cafe across the Av. du Maine from the station that sells possibly the most overpriced coffee anywhere. Ever.

Apart from that - Love it.

Donbacsi

Not the infamous Scottish note again!!!
It is a pity you boys are rolling into Keleti rather than Nuygati station in Budapest. The latter was designed by that French guy that built the radio tower in Paris in the 1880's. Also home of the second most ornate McDonald's in the world.

Mark_Lester

The gardens on the roof of Montparnasse are the definition of "polishing a turd". It is an awful station. Concrete, dark, dirty, freezing cold in winter, poor natural light, poor retail and refreshments... And there is a cafe across the Av. du Maine from the station that sells possibly the most overpriced coffee anywhere. Ever.

Apart from that - Love it.
Well, we have to go there, that's where the trains come in. The question is, is this garden worth examining as part of a morning coffee. If it's half decent, then the juxtaposition with a station that compares unfavourably with the worst of 70s britain would be worth climbing up to.

Don, we've toned down the city level itineraries, we almost certainly wont make the children's railway for instance now. But we do want to do stations where feasible. e.g. I want to catch a train a few (30) minutes earlier out of Lisbon in order to have a quick shuftie round Oriente.
I was thinking of getting a bus down the back of the castle to Moskva and back into town from there. If we are doing well we could get a 4 or 8 tram to Nuygati and another onto Oktagon (which according to open street map has an internationally renown fast food chain on each of it's 8 sides) and then line 1 on our way to the Market. Note that we've moved the start forward a day in order to hit Budapest on a Friday.
On the subject of this "not the trans sib" project, I noticed that there is a line that is parallel to the route the trans sib takes, which goes north of baikal, and you can follow all the way to Vamino for the ferry to Sakalin.

This site is all a bit russian, and there is no mutli-train router planner, and services are not daily, but it is clearly doable, the hills, especially at the north of Baikal but generally all the way through siberia, are much more significant on this northerly route.

http://railroad.mobiticket.ru/stationtt.php?station=2034630&date=31.08.2012

So London (perhaps), Istanbul, Tblisi, Baku, ferry, Turkmenbashi, Samarqand, Tashkent, Almaty, Abakan, Severobaikalsk, Tinda, Komsomolsk na Amur, Vamino, ferry, Kholmsk (sakalin) , Korakov (sakalin), ferry, Wakkanai, Tokyo.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Russia_to_Japan_via_Sakhalin

Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

Did you see this piece of news that was on indiarailinfo yesterday?

Beijing : Indian exporters will face a serious threat once the $707-million Yuxi-Mengzi railway line, which links Kunming in Yunnan province in southwest China with Singapore, becomes operational by this year end. The rail link will cover over 2,000 km in countries like Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Singapore. The announcement came ahead of the meeting between Chinese Commerce Minister Chen Deming and his Indian counterpart Anand Sharma at the joint economic group meeting in New Delhi on Monday. Beijing also has plans to set up railway lines between Kunming and Mynamar, extending upto Bangladesh. It has also joint plans with Pakistan to set up railway links near the Indian border in the northwest. The railway projects, once become operational, will pose serious strategic and economic challenges to New Delhi.

Mark_Lester

which links Kunming in Yunnan province in southwest China with Singapore
have I done my rant about shoddy journalists recently.

I guess that's lifted from this
http://www.railway-technology.com/n...es-yuxi-mengzi-segment-pan-asia-railway-line/

It's part of the pan-asian railway, which involves the link up of vietnam with thailand and hence you can then go all the way to singapore, but the yuxi mengzi section is just some part in yunnan.
By far the shortest distance to bridge is from Kunming to Mandalay, I can't figure out if they've already done the bit up to the Burmese border, but if they have they can get to the railhead east of mandalay in about 100km or so.

Back to Siberia, and it turns out there is a trans sib Rossiya train every other day out of moscow that goes all the way to Vanino (this more northerly port to vladivostok), but along the sissy route south of Baikal. It has to be the high road.

Golghar

Lady G and I have booked a few days in Lisbon in October so if anything needs a recce I should be able to manage it.

Sorry for butting into this thread as I have no plans of taking part in the Great Challenge but an active participant recommended it to me. I just skimmed through the 600-odd entries and found a few I should like to comment upon.

(i) the quote refers to Lisbon which is also on your route. A word of warning: I have used public transportation of all kinds in various parts of the world but the only time I have had my pocket picked was on the No.28 tram in Lisbon. Of course, the lesson learnt was that routes that get a mention in tourist guide books are the ones on which the Houdinis of the pickpocket trade congregate.

(ii) there was some controversy as to whether to refer to the city on the Bosporus as "Istanbul" or "Constantinople". I suggest: Call it "Byzantium".

(iii) Mark Lester correctly added Rumansch to his list of languages encountered on the journey.

(iv) Doesn't Budapest still have trolley-buses? So that should give you a chance to use one on the trip.

(v) There was a reference to haggis somewhere on the thread. Unfgortunately you aren't taking an ICE from Paris to Frankfurt or you could stop off at Kaiserslautern and try this porcine version. This is the dish that led to a further cooling of the never very warm personal relationship between Helmut Kohl and Margaret Thatcher. I haven't been able to find a link to this incident in English but I'll keep looking.

Glenmutchkin

Sorry for butting into this thread as I have no plans of taking part in the Great Challenge but an active participant recommended it to me. I just skimmed through the 600-odd entries and found a few I should like to comment upon.

No worries. We need all the friends that we can get.

Thanks for the tip off about Lisbon. Lady G usually manages to get robbed in Spain but we will be extra careful.

Sadly Istanbul/Constantinople/ Byzantium has had to be knocked off the circuit as they are rebuilding the railways so drastically that the trains cannot run. One for another railathon in years to come.

Don is our Budapest expert. I expect that he will respond on trolleybuses.

The very best haggis is shot at dawn on midsummers day in the Cairngorms. I don't fancy the sound of something made with a sow's stomach.

Golghar

The very best haggis is shot at dawn on midsummers day in the Cairngorms. I don't fancy the sound of something made with a sow's stomach.

The very best saumagen is stuck* at dusk on midwinter's day in the Hunsrück.

*as in "pig-sticking"

Some detail on Budapest trolley buses. Scroll down the page until you get there.

And as for Lisbon's tram 28 - this is the kind of gooey reporting that attracts those pickpockets in the first place.
a taste of ye olde world nostalgia
- no further comment!

Last edited:

Mark_Lester

I shall approach it with an open mind and zipped up pockets. Mind you it will need to be good to beat a Kolkata 12/7

A man on the Narrow Gauge Railway Society forum described it as "intrusive and irrelevant"
Really ?, outstanding!

All the guide books etc talk about tram 28 and pick pockets. I guess even bum bags needs tucking under shirts.

Cologne would be our nearest point to the pig-haggis domain. I dont know anyone there else I'd see if we could get a platefull delivered to the carriage.

Donbacsi

Now that I have developed dispepsia from your discourse on "food", I can only say that many of you will be anxiously awaiting your arrival in Budapest for the antidote!
There are indeed the dreaded silent trolley buses, as well as trams, regular buses, Metro, light rail, funicular, cog and narrow gauge in Budapest.
Here is the big news and might require a change in plans again. In addition to the rail museum in the city park I have already mentioned, the Rail Park has been reorganized. I should think this is a must see even over the castle hill. They have 20 steam engines arranged on a turntable from oldest to latest. In addition you are allowed to drive a shuttle cart on the rails. A must see! Be very careful how you pronounce the word "bus" in Hungary as it can be construed to be the equivilant of the "F" word. Better to say autobus.
Lastly, I have been in contact with the non-felonious cousin and we can now discuss via PM the financials and what you will get in return.

Mark_Lester

Now that I have developed dispepsia from your discourse on "food", I can only say that many of you will be anxiously awaiting your arrival in Budapest for the antidote!
There are indeed the dreaded silent trolley buses, as well as trams, regular buses, Metro, light rail, funicular, cog and narrow gauge in Budapest.
Here is the big news and might require a change in plans again. In addition to the rail museum in the city park I have already mentioned, the Rail Park has been reorganized. I should think this is a must see even over the castle hill. They have 20 steam engines arranged on a turntable from oldest to latest. In addition you are allowed to drive a shuttle cart on the rails. A must see! Be very careful how you pronounce the word "bus" in Hungary as it can be construed to be the equivilant of the "F" word. Better to say autobus.
Lastly, I have been in contact with the non-felonious cousin and we can now discuss via PM the financials and what you will get in return.
re bus, funny that, in english it's usually used in conjunction with the f-word.

re financials ?, we're now aiming at a friday, so the market will be open, so we probably dont need a guide as such to pre-purchase a hamper, and we're not going to be doing extensive stuff, take it at a measured pace, the kids railway for instance will have to go. The museum is the kind of thing Dave and Mick need several days in really (seriously).
But I guess there is still the problem of knowing exactly what to procure for our 36 hour mission, and not get totally fleeced in the process in what is, as I understand it, largely a tourist venue. The locals hardly shop there one report claimed, though I cant believe a place that size survives on tourists wanting to buy fire sausage and palinka. Oh, that might be something though, the home made hooch. I think I said, someone gave me some as they were leaving, home made palinka, very very good I have to say, and I've sampled a fair range of balkan domestic produce (I dont think there was a council flat vernada in all of eastern europe when the wall came down that didnt have a demijong with something powerful in it).
oh and another thing, this german black pudding is served cold. we've got to have a plate of that and fried onions. We'll be able to get loads of this kind of stuff at the station in Berlin I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.