• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scottpod1981

BRIGHTON - I got enhanced scores across the board on the assessments.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have heard there may be a course in Feb , but leaving it a little late I think. Is everyone in this pool still waiting for DM interview or just a start date

El-Alamein

BRIGHTON - I got enhanced scores across the board on the assessments.
I have heard there may be a course in Feb , but leaving it a little late I think. Is everyone in this pool still waiting for DM interview or just a start date

Congratulations fella welcome to "The Talent Pool"

Scottpod1981

Oh no I am definitely in a pool, have it in an email and spoke to recruitment on the phone. I passed everything with a different TOC.

Dave999

Oh right, that's strange as I was under the impression you go in the pool after interviews and medical. I've passed assessments, DMI and MMI and now waiting for a medical date but they've never mentioned about the pool.

Robcuk

Oh right, that's strange as I was under the impression you go in the pool after interviews and medical. I've passed assessments, DMI and MMI and now waiting for a medical date but they've never mentioned about the pool.

Logic would say those who have had medicals will be progressed before those that haven't. I'm in the latter group by the way.

I can only draw from my experience and medicals were only carried out when you were close to be offered a role as the results can only last so long, six months I think. With that in mind if I receive an email regarding a medical then I am presuming an offer isn't too far away.

As I've said before I'm patiently waiting and when the resources I.e Driver trainers, class room teachers etc become available I hope to be starting soon.

I'm trying to relax at this time as I know once I've started the course there is plenty of revision and exams ahead

Wallicio

I hope the medicals last more than 6 months.... Some of us that had them, had them July 2015.

Dave999

Yes that would make sense, I've only recently passed all the assessments and interviews, the lady from recruitment said she is sorting a medical date out for me so I was thinking that means soon. Looking on here though it may still be a while.

Last edited:

Scottpod1981

From very recent experience you get offered a position subject to passing a medical, but TOCS policies on this subject may vary somewhat.

Robcuk

Yes that would make sense, I've only recently passed all the assessments and interviews, the lady from recruitment said she is sorting a medical date out for me so I was thinking that means soon. Looking on here though it may still be a while though.

It's mostly guesswork on here so I wouldn't read into it too much.

All we know is that it's a huge recruitment drive, they need 100s of drivers and they are starting schools when they can.

Just be patient and when you get the call it's the start of a long and hopefully good career.

I did speak to a Bedford driver last week and he said the previous franchise were fined 1000s as they should have recruited more trainees but just handed out overtime which may explain the shortfall of drivers.
From very recent experience you get offered a position subject to passing a medical, but TOCS policies on this subject may vary somewhat.

So yes it's the final part of the recruitment.

Treadstone

You're not in the pool until you've had your interviews and passed.

I'm told I'm in the pool but obviously towards the end of it due to only passing stage two back in July, still awaiting a Dm interview, approx 12 months wait as of last Nov for Bedford/Hitchin. I think there's half a dozen in the same boat.

Dave999

I'm told I'm in the pool but obviously towards the end of it due to only passing stage two back in July, still awaiting a Dm interview, approx 12 months wait as of last Nov for Bedford/Hitchin. I think there's half a dozen in the same boat.

This pool is more diverse than I thought, I applied for Cambridge depot in October and it's been quite speedy through out.

RobSmith

Mate, get on the blower as soon as recruitment are in Monday morning. I had my medical in December after completing all other stages back in July but only because I chased them.

From what I gather from speaking to various people in recruitment there has been a massive shake up in that department and nobody seems to know what is going on. When I chased up about my medical I was told "looks like somebody forgot to arrange your medical"!? WTF!!

Sgiot

That's interesting. I think I took my stage 2 the same day as you Rob and I am yet to have my medical as well. Looks like I'll be on the phone to GTR next week too.

Scattle

Mate, get on the blower as soon as recruitment are in Monday morning. I had my medical in December after completing all other stages back in July but only because I chased them.

From what I gather from speaking to various people in recruitment there has been a massive shake up in that department and nobody seems to know what is going on. When I chased up about my medical I was told "looks like somebody forgot to arrange your medical"!? WTF!!

That's interesting. I think I took my stage 2 the same day as you Rob and I am yet to have my medical as well. Looks like I'll be on the phone to GTR next week too.

Same here I passed my DM interview on Monday 27th July and had my stage 2 on something like the 13th and haven't had medical yet, will be calling Monday morning to chase them up and get it done.

RedZed

Same here I passed my DM interview on Monday 27th July and had my stage 2 on something like the 13th and haven't had medical yet, will be calling Monday morning to chase them up and get it done.
Wouldn't bother to be honest. I emailed them in response to their last email to me dated 16 Dec advising I remain in in the talent pool blah blah, if I have any queries then contact them... so I did... and specifically asked about medicals, upcoming courses etc and got the following response:

Hi xxxxxx,

The status of your application is that you are in our talent pool awaiting course dates. Unfortunately this is the only information I have at the moment to provide to you.

As soon as we have further course dates we will be in contact with candidates and start making offers.

This is the direct response to me following up a question that they invited eg if you have any questions please contact etc... The person listed as the contact never responded, and the second person responded to my direct questions with the above 'vague' response.

For me this is on the back burner now. I 'lost' a year waiting to progress this career, and believe it or not, I actually have a family and a life outside of this.

Now browsing holidays and in training for the Great North Run.

RobSmith

Wouldn't bother to be honest. I emailed them in response to their last email to me dated 16 Dec advising I remain in in the talent pool blah blah, if I have any queries then contact them... so I did... and specifically asked about medicals, upcoming courses etc and got the following response:

Hi xxxxxx,

The status of your application is that you are in our talent pool awaiting course dates. Unfortunately this is the only information I have at the moment to provide to you.

As soon as we have further course dates we will be in contact with candidates and start making offers.

This is the direct response to me following up a question that they invited eg if you have any questions please contact etc... The person listed as the contact never responded, and the second person responded to my direct questions with the above 'vague' response.

For me this is on the back burner now. I 'lost' a year waiting to progress this career, and believe it or not, I actually have a family and a life outside of this.

Now browsing holidays and in training for the Great North Run.

Although I've not been waiting as long as you I feel your pain.

Seriously though, get on the phone and speak directly to someone to push it through. My wife works on the gn route and was pushed by the station manager to apply for full time role whilst she was agency. She too went through this same bull **** process but was advised from the inside to get on people's nerves chasing it up as it shows how much you want it to happen. The longer you wait around for something to happen the less likely it is going to happen, more so when we are applying for roles that they are found a big drive for and are assessing more candidates all the time.

Should your luck come in, be prepared to cancel that holiday. No holiday for the 1st 6months by request as you will fall behind on your training. **** for the family but it's just 1 summer, potentially, you will have to sacrifice!
Did I just break the rules by swearing?? Sorry if that offended anyone!

Scattle

Rang GTR Recruitment this morning and spoke to Trudy-Ann regarding my Medical, told me they're not going to be arranging Medicals for people until there are confirmed course dates for the Depot which the applicant is going for.
In my case i'm waiting for Kings X, so until there are courses for Kings X I won't be sent for a Medical.

She did say she knows some people in the Pool have had Medicals and been waiting 7/8 months now, but they do expire and depending on when course dates are may have to retake one.

sc804

Hi everyone, I have applied for the Three Bridges trainee positions back in August and have passed both my first stage, second stage and MMI back in October. I seem tobe getting no where when trying to get a date from HR for a DM interview, being told it'll be next week and when I call the lady hasn't even seemed to have made enquires regarding this.

I was just wondering if there was anyone who had applied and passed assesments at a similar time or that was in a similar position?

From reading this I understand there is a re-occurring theme with HR, but just wanted to see if anyone was in a similar situation or had managed to get any success with HR.

Status
Not open for further replies.