• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyjames1701

I thought I'd start this thread so all in the GTR talent pool can share updates and discuss any developments. I've been in the pool since passing my medical on the 16th June and have been told to await further communication whilst future courses are allocated.

Feel free to comment if you're in the same position :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

traintraining

In the same position was told that would hear back in July regarding start dates

So my question is:

Does anyone know if we will still get told our start dates this month?

jonthetaxi

I'll join you! Had my medical wednesday, all went ok. It seems like it will be October before we get start dates.
Hoping either Blackfriars or King's Cross.

Amex88

I'm adamant we will hear something end of this month or begining of next on when the dates will be :)

class373

Hi everyone, I've been to the GTR head offices twice in the last week and the updates I have are as follows. Blackfriars from what I've been told aren't recruiting at the moment so it's likely I'll be put at Kings Cross (i live in South East London) I've also been told in regards to start dates it will be October onwards! If anyone does get Blackfriars and wants Kings Cross and wants to swap me with me I would be up for that haha :) :)

Good luck to all waiting!

Last edited:

Bucko

Hi everyone, I've been to the GTR head offices twice in the last week and the updates I have are as follows. Blackfriars from what I've been told aren't recruiting at the moment so it's likely I'll be put at Kings Cross (i live in South East London) I've also been told in regards to start dates it will be October onwards! If anyone does get Blackfriars and wants Kings Cross and wants to swap me with me I would be up for that haha ??????

Good luck to all waiting!

Cheers buddy

Any word on Bedford at all ?

class373

Cheers buddy

Any word on Bedford at all ?

I didn't get any info on Bedford however I spoke to a driver based there and he said they're taking on loads of trainees so take what you want from that!

Shillidincha

this is going to sound like the daftest question - but I am increasingly frustrated as I have seen several threads on this forum about talent pools etc I have been looking for a trainee train driver position now for about 6 months and I have not come across any - I heard about this GTR talent pool - but for the life of me could not find where to apply for it.

Are these sort of things posted on the companies website??

Thanks

387star

On Moderation
You missed the chance but crossrail and thameslink will probably advertise again

Garyjames1701

Thameslink is GTR. The applications are only open for a few days, usually with hundreds applying. It's a tough job to get into so for us waiting in the pool, we've done well :)

Pepperami

Shillidincha

You don't apply for the talent pool, its where your placed after you have successfully completed all the assessments for the role, and are awaiting your medical before your offered a place on a course

Keep looking on the forums, people always post as soon as vacancies arise

Good luck!

bengley

Established Member
So you have a medical AFTER leaving the talent pool and being on track for a start date?

bengley

Established Member
Normally however not in this case

I have been told once I pass the medical I go into the talent pool awaiting a vacancy

I then checked how long the medical is valid fearing it may never happen and was told generally people do not wait too long for start dates and when we can progress you we will do .. locations and dates for future courses are not known

Still slightly worried I went to the point and asked if it was guaranteed a future job offer if I pass my medical given I was told I go into a talent pool AFTER my medical which is never normally the case

I was told yes it is guaranteed and furthermore please be rest assured I will be placed on a course provided I pass my medical

If I was simply going into a talent pool I would be worried as I have experienced what that is like

The fact we know for certain there are future courses Thameslink need loads of drivers the fact we are having medicals and I have it in writing a job offer is guaranteed makes me very happy :D

Thameslink are being very organised as it means when the dates are known they can progress people without the delay of the medical well that's how I see it anyway

The fact they require enhanced passes also means there may be less people in the pool than you might think as well

Furthermore at my interview when I asked I was told most likely I would start this year and when I spoke to recruitment again was told this year but a case of waiting on dates
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Let's hope with southern merging in these vacancies are not opened up internally to southern guards and the like not sure if they have an advantage with these vacancies

Probably overthinking everything so ignore me!

I'm thinking there's a possibility of being offered a Southern depot too after the merger - they are also short of drivers, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Hoody

This is the current forum member list of those who have had or are going to have medicals any lurkers welcome to add:

jonthetaxi
Bengley
Smudge 67
Wds 2015
Amex 88
Mickey b89
Garyjames1701
Bucko
Dr1323
Wilko5816
Tenthghost
Tim.tin
Driveit
Train time
Allurehomme
Iwantin
Train training
Matt k
Class 373
ml
Bobby box

Blur fan (?)

Forum members currently going through assessments or awaiting interview:

Scattle
sgiot
Alex101
Donpoku
firecrackerads
Darren1980
vit4
Treadstone

Hi,

I've passed everything and am in a similar position where I'm waiting for a start date for the Bedford depot. Passed my manager interview 1st June and the medical two weeks later.

Out of the above names, who is going to which depot?

Cheers

Blur fan

I passed my medical a few days ago. I'm waiting for a date for Bedford now.
Starting to feel pretty excited now, I was told October at least, but awaiting dates for courses to be announced.

This will be a long summer!

Choochoo216

Hi everyone. I am also waiting for that phonecall/letter or email about a start date. I had my interview on the 20th May and medical on June 6th. I, like many others would like Bedford. From numerous sources Im hoping that it will be October that I/we start and they give you a minimum of 6 weeks notice so hopefully we should find out in August sometime. Hopefully the first 2 weeks as this wait is killing me!!

class373

I applied for Blackfriars but was told if not Blackfriars it will be Kings Cross.

Haydn1971

Established Member
I keep seeing this thread and chuckling.

Whilst I accept that any employer is going to want the pick of the crop, be it a driver, back office or customer facing role, the term "talent pool" just doesn't work for me. Talent is defined as "having a special ability or aptitude".

Why do HR people keep rolling out such overstated terms to what I'd refer to as pretty everyday type of jobs, plus if people are talented, shouldn't they be picked up immediately before a competitor does. I've recently seen the word "talented" used for a job advertising a counter job in Greggs !

Sounds like another step of making things sound more impressive than they are - waiting for the "engineer" to fill the can dispenser machine vs the "engineer" designed the rolling stock bogie - there's a vast difference in the talent.

Garyjames1701

Did anyone else get a letter from GTR today? I got one just stating what we already know about courses running from October. They've obviously had lots of emails from concerned applicants so have sent letter out to explain the situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.