• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwalk365

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for patience while you have been awaiting news regarding a course start date for Thameslink Kent Depots. As you are aware our network is undergoing some huge changes, including the opening of new Depots and the reducing of recruitment into existing Depots. As for Thamelink Kent Depots at the moment we have meet the required numbers needed for 2017, the next Driver Courses will be required in 2018. We will be in touch with you when the next campaign starts.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Looks like they're done for the year. Can't say I'm overly optimistic about my chances in 2018 Passed everything, to get that is gutting, but so many apply it's hardly surprising.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Dear Candidate,

Thank you for patience while you have been awaiting news regarding a course start date for Thameslink Kent Depots. As you are aware our network is undergoing some huge changes, including the opening of new Depots and the reducing of recruitment into existing Depots. As for Thamelink Kent Depots at the moment we have meet the required numbers needed for 2017, the next Driver Courses will be required in 2018. We will be in touch with you when the next campaign starts.

Kind Regards,

Looks like they're done for the year. Can't say I'm overly optimistic about my chances in 2018 Passed everything, to get that is gutting, but so many apply it's hardly surprising dmi and medical too mate

RedZed

When do your assessment passes run out, can you still apply for another toc?

Well it depends who you speak to and what their policy is for the time expiry of the assessment.

2012 - London Midland - failed paper sift

2014 - DBSchenker - Passed assessment to enhanced standard. Pulled the plug on recruitment due to the downturn in freight industry.

2015 - GTR - Passed everything then dumped in talent pool for last couple of years to end in nothing.

2017 - Chiltern Railways - Failed DMI

2017 - GWR - "Not progressing application" after their online tests.

I'm all out of options now as I've applied for every TOC in the last 5 years in my 'commutable distance' when they advertised vacancies.

baz962

Established Member
Well it depends who you speak to and what their policy is for the time expiry of the assessment.

2014 - DBSchenker - Passed assessment to enhanced standard. Pulled the plug on recruitment due to the downturn in freight industry.

2015 - GTR - Passed everything then dumped in talent pool for last couple of years to end in nothing.

I'm all out of options now as I've applied for every TOC in the last 5 years in my 'commutable distance' when they advertised vacancies.

Yes but if you passed psychometrics then you can re apply as the two strikes does not apply to dmi or sift or am I missing something mate.

RedZed

Yes but if you passed psychometrics then you can re apply as the two strikes does not apply to dmi or sift or am I missing something mate.

"Re -apply" assumes that there are current recruitment campaigns to apply for... and they they are in my commutable distance. Given my current experience of the process, it's not for me mate. The last 5 years has just served as a lesson in futility. I've been wanting to move on for ages now but I was waiting either for GTR to either give me a start date or tell me 'officially' that I'm no longer under consideration. Now that I know that I'm no longer in the ridiculous talent pool situation waiting for an offer that might or might not appear, its time to move on and put this fiasco behind me and concentrate my efforts on something else.

baz962

Established Member
"Re -apply" assumes that there are current recruitment campaigns to apply for... and they they are in my commutable distance. Given my current experience of the process, it's not for me mate. The last 5 years has just served as a lesson in futility. I've been wanting to move on for ages now but I was waiting either for GTR to either give me a start date or tell me 'officially' that I'm no longer under consideration. Now that I know that I'm no longer in the ridiculous talent pool situation waiting for an offer that might or might not appear, its time to move on and put this fiasco behind me and concentrate my efforts on something else.

Ah ok sorry mate and v good luck in whatever you choose.

Regarding the Chiltern application, were you a relocation candidate? If so, you didn't fail the dmi in the conventional sense, you failed it purely because of where you lived. I got info on this recently, admittedly 5th hand or so:

Apparently between the first set of interviews (early May?) and the later ones 7 weeks later, a trainee driver (described in non to complimentary terms) already in the system raised a grievance and kicked up a stink - he had been a guard at Moor Street, but like external candidates he was based at Aylesbury to learn to drive and would remain there and join the queue to return to brum after several years. He argued this forced relocation was unfair and damaging etc, caused such a fuss Chiltern have amended their policy so recruits will not be taken in future on a relication basis, hemce why the email went out to people in early June that candidatea near Aylesbury and Marylebone would be prioritised.

RedZed

Regarding the Chiltern application, were you a relocation candidate? If so, you didn't fail the dmi in the conventional sense, you failed it purely because of where you lived. I got info on this recently, admittedly 5th hand or so

I went straight to interview in May based on the strength of my application and previous assessment scores.

I failed the DMI based on my score of 71% compared with the min pass mark of 85%

My feedback was laughable - very nervous, inflexible and lacks ability to take charge of situations. I say this is laughable as if this were true and applied to my previous military and police careers, then I would expect to either be dead by now , seriously injured, in jail or had the sack for incompetence.

I only found out about relocation at the end of the interview when I asked the question regarding what depots they were recruiting for as it wasn't clear in the job advert. When they asked where I lived and it was found that I lived outside the commutable distance to Aylesbury the interview took a distinct change in tone and it was mentioned then that if I was unsuccessful would I consider future depot drivers jobs? This told me that they had decided there and then that I had failed and were considering other ways I could fit into the company. None it would seem.

Last edited:

JonnyRingo

Dear Candidate,

Kind Regards,

Looks like they're done for the year. Can't say I'm overly optimistic about my chances in 2018 Passed everything, to get that is gutting, but so many apply it's hardly surprising.
Hi mate, I received exactly the same email today, wondered if you had heard anything yet, or just waiting to hear still?
I was told possibly March, but I’m not so sure now looking at some of these posts.!!

rwalk365

Hi mate, I received exactly the same email today, wondered if you had heard anything yet, or just waiting to hear still?
I was told possibly March, but I’m not so sure now looking at some of these posts.!!

Hi mate, as it happens I got the same email again today too. Haven’t heard anything else, I was thinking it would be around the same time as this year so March sounds about right, feel slightly more hopeful for this position than past due to the overhaul of their network, but that could be naive?!

JonnyRingo

Live in hope I suppose, I’ll give it a few weeks and give HR a call see if any other news or dates.
I was told at DMI that there were literally hundreds (low) of vacancies, and being in Kent where new depots are popping up can only be good, right???

Spesa2k

I received the exact same email last week, after pushing to see roughly when something may become available I was told no training courses are likely before March. When I had my DMI I was told that they where still waiting for the new Ashford depot to be finished by the end of the year but that didn't seem likely, so I suspect/guessing that the depot hasn't been finished and they maybe expecting it to be by the end of February.

I see today that GTR have pushed back the introduction of the new Maidstone East > Cambridge route until 2019; possibly after everyone h
as been trained?

Ever the optimistic!

George999

I received the exact same email last week, after pushing to see roughly when something may become available I was told no training courses are likely before March. When I had my DMI I was told that they where still waiting for the new Ashford depot to be finished by the end of the year but that didn't seem likely, so I suspect/guessing that the depot hasn't been finished and they maybe expecting it to be by the end of February.

I see today that GTR have pushed back the introduction of the new Maidstone East > Cambridge route until 2019; possibly after everyone h
as been trained?

Ever the optimistic!
I don’t think the Ashford depot has even started yet. There’s a long wait for DI’s at present so once trainees start going through, more will be required. Don’t loose faith, you’ve got this far and the wait will be worth it

Demonbarber

I also received the same email last week. When I passed I was told would be more like March as jan/feb courses were full, and would be in contact me nearer the time for a medical. So hopefully we all hear something soon.

JonnyRingo

I also received the same email last week. When I passed I was told would be more like March as jan/feb courses were full, and would be in contact me nearer the time for a medical. So hopefully we all hear something soon.
Bring on the new year.

DM92

I got this email aswell. Ive been waiting since march 2016 when i passed my dmi and mmi. Can only hope i will one day get the call.

DM92

Been 2 years since i passed my MMI interview. Still waiting for a course date with thameslink three bridges/brighton. Dont have much hope anymore unfortunately :(

DanCambridge

Been 2 years since i passed my MMI interview. Still waiting for a course date with thameslink three bridges/brighton. Dont have much hope anymore unfortunately :(

I gave up on GTR after waiting nearly 2 years. Applied to Greater Anglia and within 2 months I started with them. Now 3 months into my driver training and regret not applying to GA earlier!

RedZed

I'd start looking elsewhere. I was in GTR's talent pool for two years, getting fobbed off with "we'll give you a call when have a course to offer you". Two years down the line and I get an email (along with 6 others cos - GTR decided to share our email addresses :-0) stating that they were no longer recruiting for Bedford and live too far away to be considered for anything else... and best of luck for the future.
Seeing how quickly other candidates were offered places who applied after me would tell me that it you're in a GTR talent pool for this length of time then you can pretty much forget it.

GNDriver

Like most have said, I’d recommend applying elsewhere if possible to cover your back if this doesn’t come off.

However I’ll have to disagree with the two years in the talent pool meaning your time is up. It’s not up until they say so. I know a few on here had bad experiences and were left waiting them told no spaces, but you rarely hear about everyone else that did get a good phone call.

I’ll use myself as an example, I waited 2years and 2 months to the day. I too had pretty much written off the whole job Was actually in the process of going self employed and forgetting train driving even existed when I got the phone call offereing me a start date subject to medical.

Another three on my course were in the same sort of boat waiting about 2 years. One was actually nearer 3!!!

Don’t give up yet, but don’t put your life on hold either. As hard as it is to wait around for so long then be told thanks but no thanks... they really don’t owe you anything! And keep pestering!!!

That’s my two pennies worth anyway!

Good luck

ESONEULB

So I also hear lots of people that get offers within a few weeks..
It feels like a best gets it ??

Status
Not open for further replies.