• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the Increasingly Frustrating Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahj

Established Member
I'm surprised there's not more demand for commuter coach services. The ones from Kent seem to do very well, a friend of mine uses them every day from Ashford to Canary Wharf and is at his desk by 8am every day, and pays something like £3k for an annual season, with free wi-fi and coffee!

They must be very lucky if they are on time every day, no hold ups on the M20/A20/A2, Blackwall tunnel, limehouse links, commercial rd, ever!!!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrmatt

I, among quite a few other poster's had warned prior to the announcement that First had actually be doing a pretty good job (In comparison to previous years) throughout 2013 and 2014 (Up to the announcement) And it was notable how many posts on the forum after GoVia took over commented on this.

Of course, First were not perfect, and GoVia do actually need to be given time... See how long it took First to finally get everything under control.

Do we know if the change to a management contract has had an effect on how GTR are handling some of their issues compared to a franchise?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Well, that's why I thought it'd be perfect in competition to Thameslink. M1, then A41 or A406/A1 to Euston Road? Easybus seem to do pretty well from Luton Airport to Baker Street.

Those of us who use TL from the north often smile with moderate smugness at the mile long queue for the end of the M1 at Staples Corner every morning. It's similar at Henlys Corner too where the A1 / North Circular meet. In the morning peak it usually takes longer to get from M1 J2 to the North Circular by car than it takes to get from St Albans to St Pancras by train.

Abpj17

Those of us who use TL from the north often smile with moderate smugness at the mile long queue for the end of the M1 at Staples Corner every morning. It's similar at Henlys Corner too where the A1 / North Circular meet. In the morning peak it usually takes longer to get from M1 J2 to the North Circular by car than it takes to get from St Albans to St Pancras by train.

The way home was worse from memory. If you leave early enough in the morning you can avoid the jams (I was on the service that joined at J9). The way home you get caught up where M25/M1 join together. On the plus side, you never had to stand on coach :D

AM9

Veteran Member
The way home was worse from memory. If you leave early enough in the morning you can avoid the jams (I was on the service that joined at J9). The way home you get caught up where M25/M1 join together. On the plus side, you never had to stand on coach :D

If it was full, you stood at the bus stop.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Do the rumors within GTR that Govia want to walk away have any substance? Interesting to hear tonight from a few friends at GTR!

AM9

Veteran Member
Do the rumors within GTR that Govia want to walk away have any substance? Interesting to hear tonight from a few friends at GTR!

That would be interesting if that happened as the whole setup with TOCs could be undermined.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I'll hasten to add that I've no evidence for such a claim but tonight 3 seperate people I know within GTR said the same and they don't work together. Things either spread quickly or something's afoot, but then we all knew that anyway. So take with a pinch (mighty big one) of salt.

Abpj17

If it was full, you stood at the bus stop.

Yeah; never had to do that because I was always getting on near the start of the route.

In other news - first day back wasn't too bad. Only the usually 10 - 15 min delays (apparently signalling problems mid morning).

Saw a lot more of the new stock about - painted white and with lots more tables than majority of other stock. Not entirely convinced yet - either the seats are too high or the tables are too low!

SPADTrap - interesting. It's a bit of a cursed franchise for the next few years though, I can't imagine there are many upsides to anyone being involved.

SF-02

Southern & Southeastern will also be cursed franchises the next few years as London Bridge is rebuilt. See tonights shambles with Southern. Any reason Govia would want out of Thameslink but not the others? Too much profit from the others?

Tibbs

TOCs don't get all the season ticket money up front to sit in their accounts do they?

It comes out of your account all at once, so the money has to go somewhere.

It may be accounted for monthly over the course of the year, but from a cashflow point of view, someone gets it all at once.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You can read all about it in the riveting Ticketing and Settlement Agreement.
I seem to recall that the TOC that sold the season sits on the money, and it trickles to the TOCs whose services it is valid on in multiple payments throughout the year. I think there was a thread on it.

big_dirt

They must be very lucky if they are on time every day, no hold ups on the M20/A20/A2, Blackwall tunnel, limehouse links, commercial rd, ever!!!!!!

Some of those coaches look very comfortable. The Kings Ferry VIP for example

Put someone in a comfortable seat and nice lighting and they'll forgive the delay more easily than in a packed train.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I seem to recall that the TOC that sold the season sits on the money, and it trickles to the TOCs whose services it is valid on in multiple payments throughout the year.

In most cases the TOC running the trains is the TOC you bought the season ticket from, especially out in the Home Counties where there's only one line and one TOC.

The issue with reliability isn't something that's fixed to Thameslink- London Midland's (also owned by GoVia, funnily enough...) punctuality and reliability is also a joke- but Thameslink struggles because of the two-tracks through the centre of town. It's a lot harder to turn things round if there's a delay.

I'd be very surprised if GoVia handed the keys back before the election.

AM9

Veteran Member
I'd be very surprised if GoVia handed the keys back before the election.

I agree with that, it's not a bad strategy. The current administration could bend over backwards with all sorts of inducements to avoid severe embarassment on one of their pet policies at such a critical time.

jon0844

Veteran Member
That's why you might want people to think it, so as to secure concessions.

ItchyRsole

No chance.

The pre new year disruption with driver numbers being low was always going to happen. Using this service everyday, the last two weeks have been perfectly fine for all journeys I've needed to take.

Rumors in companies spread quick as people like gossip.

DelayRepay

Established Member
No chance.

The pre new year disruption with driver numbers being low was always going to happen. Using this service everyday, the last two weeks have been perfectly fine for all journeys I've needed to take.

Rumors in companies spread quick as people like gossip.

I must agree - having been very critical of Thameslink before Christmas, they do seem to have improved since the New Year. They're still suffering delays and by no means operating a great service, but the number of cancellations and significant delays seems fewer. I've not had a delay repay claim since before Christmas!

Thameslink was well down to its usual standard this evening.

The cursed 1W94 was delayed for the fourth consecutive day and was thus overtaken by the supposedly following service.

Both trains were then put onto the slow lines south of Harpenden, meaning that there was no way 1W94 could overtake the slower service (1G79 Beckenham Jcn - Bedford). Arrival at Flitwick was 19:00, 19 mins late.

Does anyone know what happens to northbound Thameslink trains between Hassocks & East Croydon that causes them to lose (in tonight's case 12 mins) over that distance.

It can't be the London Bridge blockade, because 1W94 never called at London Bridge and always ran via W Norwood, Tulse Hill & Elephant. Is the schedule so fragile that a train can lose 12 minutes just because of conflicting movements in 3rd rail land?

sarahj

Established Member

The cursed 1W94 was delayed for the fourth consecutive day and was thus overtaken by the supposedly following service.

Both trains were then put onto the slow lines south of Harpenden, meaning that there was no way 1W94 could overtake the slower service (1G79 Beckenham Jcn - Bedford). Arrival at Flitwick was 19:00, 19 mins late.

Does anyone know what happens to northbound Thameslink trains between Hassocks & East Croydon that causes them to lose (in tonight's case 12 mins) over that distance.

It can't be the London Bridge blockade, because 1W94 never called at London Bridge and always ran via W Norwood, Tulse Hill & Elephant. Is the schedule so fragile that a train can lose 12 minutes just because of conflicting movements in 3rd rail land?

Well even outside of rush hour hassocks to Haywards heath 11 trains per hour. 9 from the Heath to Three Bridges. Delays: Keymer Junction. Flat junction, line from Lewes. Slow boarding at Gatwick. A few passengers with bags holing the doors open, or just a rush down the escalators onto the train. Can cause 1-2 min delays. Quarry line/redhill line splits. Earlswood junction. Stoats nest. Lack of platform space at East Croydon. Slow boarding at ECR. Folks run down the ramp and hold the door open.

Alas, its just the case that too many trains, not enough track, and a 2 min delay at one of the pinch points means you loose the path else ware.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

I was on 1W94 on Weds. The following train was correctly held for us at Herne Hill as we were about 5L (4 late start Brighton). I must say the driver was giving it the beans when he could.

Taunton

Established Member

It can't be the London Bridge blockade
Well it was. The stopping train to London Bridge that should set off from Brighton well before this service was allowed out just at the Thameslink's departure time, that left a couple of minutes later and thus got stopped all the way up. Almost all its delay had been incurred before its own first stop. That stopping train has just a 10 minute turnround at Brighton, and also previously at London Bridge. It had been getting later all afternoon, it was nearly 20 minutes late by the time it got back to London Bridge again. It's ludicrous with the present state of congestion to schedule 10 minute turnrounds at both ends all day for trains on such long runs that appear to have no capability for any time recovery en route.

talldave

Established Member
Well even outside of rush hour hassocks to Haywards heath 11 trains per hour. 9 from the Heath to Three Bridges. Delays: Keymer Junction. Flat junction, line from Lewes. Slow boarding at Gatwick. A few passengers with bags holing the doors open, or just a rush down the escalators onto the train. Can cause 1-2 min delays. Quarry line/redhill line splits. Earlswood junction. Stoats nest. Lack of platform space at East Croydon. Slow boarding at ECR. Folks run down the ramp and hold the door open.

Alas, its just the case that too many trains, not enough track, and a 2 min delay at one of the pinch points means you loose the path else ware.

Running 442s that stop at East Croydon is bonkers - it takes forever to get passengers off and on.

As for the magnitude of Thameslink delays, I was amazed even before the London Bridge issue how you could be on a Thameslink service that was getting one minute later every minute into the journey!

bengley

Established Member
I was on a Southern 377/1 yesterday running a TL service to LBG - fully southern branded and no pantograph!

Class377/5

Established Member
I was on a Southern 377/1 yesterday running a TL service to LBG - fully southern branded and no pantograph!

Thameslink has been borrowing units of Southern since 5th Jan. Its booked to do so.

W230

Established Member
Yep there's a few of these. If it's a TL service Brighton to London Bridge (or vice versa) expect a Southern 377/1 or /4.

The Box Photter said:
The biggest delay I incur when working one of these (between the points you mention) is usually coming into Gatwick. Often you are already a couple of minutes late as you've caught something up around Haywards Heath (or there is a Victoria bound service just in front of you) but you seem to forever be delayed waiting for a Gatwick Express to leave. Even if it's not heading out from the Up Fast platform, the fact it is crossing in front of you keeps the signal before Gatwick at red. Gatwick is also notoriously slow to board and the dispatchers seem to take ages to give you the CD indication (I know they are constantly fired questions from lost passengers so not a criticism).

samj

According to real time trains, the 1628 Brighton to London Bridge service is Southern operated but run by a 319?!

There seems to be a problem at the moment with signallers giving priority to the "wrong" trains, ie. putting a "stopper" in front of a "fast", especially on the northbound approach to Blackfriars. It isn't much of a problem through the Core, but north of StP, unless the "fast" can get onto the down fast line, it can be baulked all the way up to St Albans and beyond, thus getting progressively more delayed through the journey.

Are these signalling decisions taken by the human or by some clever computer algorithm? I ask because the decison should take into account whether delaying a stopper by 2 mins to allow an already delayed fast through could result in the fast making up time whilst the stopper must have additional slack in its timings that could easily recover a couple of lost minutes.

By the way, in response to the comment about putting a 442 on the London Bridge service, I'd be happy to ride a 442 on a fast BedPan service (subject to the necessary AC mods) in place of the "Spartan-Spec" 387 or "Dustbin-Spec" 319.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
What annoys most is the lack of follow up information. Last Saturday we came back from a long journey arriving at Euston and headed up to Kentish Town only to find the 21:51 N/B stopping service cancelled with no explanation or information as to when (or even if) there would be a subsequent train.

Status
Not open for further replies.