• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The London Midland Staff Shortage and Cancellation/Bustitution Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
My brother found this leaflet which is interesting from 2007 when LM launched.

It feels so appropriate now!

Attachments

• 20121111_171745.jpg
    20121111_171745.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 114
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
My brother found this leaflet which is interesting from 2007 when LM launched.

It feels so appropriate now!

That's the sort of propaganda they all put out whenever they take over a new franchise.

mattyb1405

I was trying to work something out with regards to the cancellations although noted it seems to be improving. On the LM website did these amendments also appear in the travel updates at the top of the homepage even if it were just a summary to advise checking the news pages? Guessing for the last few weeks that the requirement to reprint any timetables diminshed?! I did commute daily on LM but was 'nagged' into driving when reliability was becoming an issue.....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
May be of interest, seems to pin the blame mainly on XC poaching drivers, backed up by ASLEF.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20253435

I had been under the impression that most cancelled services were on electrified LM routes, would there be a bigger learning curve from EMUs to DMUs as opposed DMU to DMU - just generally curious....

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
No planned cancellations yesterday (6.12.12) I see from my email that I've only just received.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Its December, the new starters are coming through, from next week, there shouldn't be too many more problems, as a load of trained drivers are coming through

Cletus

Established Member
"London Midland warned by PM over cancellations"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20663753

Action may be taken against London Midland if the train operator does not reduce the number of cancellations, the prime minister has said.

A shortage of drivers has caused the cancellation of more than 950 services since 14 October.

A new timetable was introduced on Sunday but three services were affected on Monday morning because of a lack of staff, according to the firm's website.

David Cameron said the company was on a "warning list".

Mr Cameron said: "It's not acceptable what's been happening.

"Under the franchising system if there's unacceptable service then action can be taken."
"It has in the past and it would be in the future if things don't pick up."
"I can guarantee there is no shortage of focus in making sure that every single one of our trains is covered so people can get to work and do what they need to do”

The prime minister said he was confident the new timetable would help address the issue.

The company has a number of trainee drivers who are due to finish their training soon.

London Midland's operations and safety director, Wallace Weatherill, said he could not rule out further delays or cancellations.

"There's never a guarantee when you're dealing with people and you're running over 1,300 trains a day," Mr Weatherill said.
"But what I can guarantee is there is no shortage of focus in making sure that every single one of our trains is covered so people can get to work and do what they need to do.
"When you have short-term sickness it's sometimes very difficult to recover from that."

Mr Weatherill said the likelihood of cancellations had "significantly" reduced because of the recent timetable change and the support of staff.

dvboy

Established Member
JourneyCheck email alerted me to two cancellations on Wolves-Birmingham this morning (0759 and 0807) due to shortage of train crew.

One service had reduced calling points, the 15:46 Dorridge to Worcester F'gate Street was started from 16:13 at B'ham Snow Hill, due to staff sickness. Also, no stops between Snow Hill & Stourbridge Junction were served to make up the time lost.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I thought the staff shortages were supposed to end with the start of the new timetable due to newly trained staff "coming on line"?

Rich McLean

Established Member
LM have annoced all shifts are covered for the 11th, with some spare crews to boot

oversteer

Hmm curious timing.. LM have been rubbish for weeks. Could the PM's warning be carefully timed so that when the new crews start working in the coming weeks the PM can claim 'personal intervention to resolve the situation?'

Cynic, moi...

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
This afternoon delays at Moor Street and Snow Hill because of 2K55 cancelled at Jewellery Quarter due to Brake Failure.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Same on Snow Hill services too
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
2H24 1653 Kidderminster to Leamington Spa Operated by LM
This train has been cancelled due to*an issue with the train crew*(TG)
--------------
2K55 1639 Whitlocks End to Jewellery Quarter Operated by LM
This train has been cancelled due to*a problem with the brakes*(MN)
--------------
2C54 1516 Worcester Foregate Street to Birmingham Snow Hill Operated by LM
This train has been cancelled due to*a problem with the train*(M8)

Old Hill Bank

For a problem that has been resolved it is strange that the cancellations continue.
When I looked on the LM website this morning the list of non-runners was as big as it has ever been.

dvboy

Established Member
The problems now are due to staff sickness, rather than not having enough staff employed. It's not just London Midland or indeed the rail industry suffering with staff sickness at the moment, it's a general problem in the country as a whole, but LM either doesn't have the spare staff to cover, or the staff it does have aren't willing.

O L Leigh

Established Member
There was a scrolling message on the board at Marylebone yesterday apologising for train cancellations as a consequence of staff shortages brought on by drivers struck down by the norovirus. Seemed awfully (and unwarrantedly) specific.

O L Leigh

A-driver

Established Member
To the two previous posters, one has to wonder if this is particular strain called Christmas Norovirus.

To be fair FCC had it about 4 weeks back-loads off sick with a norivirus type bug.

Things like that go round drivers very quickly what with us all sharing cabs, touching the same controls, not getting proper sleep to recover etc.

vjm1975

Lots of cancellations today. Travelling from Chester (via Crewe )to Stafford later, and almost everything is cancelled either side of the 16:49 departure from Crewe. LM are advising passenger they can use Virgin Trains for travel between Crewe and Stafford, however, due to engineering work diversions, Virgin Trains are not calling at Stafford. I really hope this service runs, otherwise will be stuck at Crewe for an additional hour.

dvboy

Established Member
LM ran a rail replacement bus from Wolverhampton all the way to Liverpool South Parkway today :o

Roverman

On Sunday it was quicker for me to run my friend home to Liverpool from Birmingham than catch the London Midland train due to continued poor service. LM also fiddled the delay times to make themselves look good, the 15:35 still hadn't even arrived when we drove away from New Street at 15:43, yet the NRE screen showed it as only being 5 mins late!

According to the same NRE screen (so I am not sure how accurate it is) the train arrived at Lime Street 10 minutes after we pulled on his driveway in Kirkby.

The word untouchable springs to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.