• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Look him in the eye" adverts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
At least the BBC Headline currently says "dies in hospital with Coronavirus", not of.

If it was a few months ago i'm certain it would have been a different headline. In fairness the BBC do seem to have grasped an element of balance of late. Others aren't so balanced though.

ITV: Captain Sir Tom Moore dies aged 100 after Covid-19 infection

Guardian: Captain Sir Tom Moore dies at 100 after testing positive for Covid

Mirror: Captain Sir Tom Moore dead: NHS hero, 100, dies after Covid fight as nation mourns

duncanp

Established Member
At least the BBC Headline currently says "dies in hospital with Coronavirus", not of.
I wouldn't put it past some lockdown enthusiast to suggest using Captain Sir Tom in the Look Him In The Eyes adverts, but that really would be taking things too far, and using emotional blackmail to bully the country into complying with rules that are very near their sell by date.

py_megapixel

Established Member
If it was a few months ago i'm certain it would have been a different headline. In fairness the BBC do seem to have grasped an element of balance of late. Others aren't so balanced though.

ITV: Captain Sir Tom Moore dies aged 100 after Covid-19 infection

Guardian: Captain Sir Tom Moore dies at 100 after testing positive for Covid

Mirror: Captain Sir Tom Moore dead: NHS hero, 100, dies after Covid fight as nation mourns
You've not even found the worst one!

Star: "[...] following fatal hospital battle with Coronavirus" - so they actually go right out and say that the virus was the cause of death
and worse still, Mail: "War hero who won nation's heart... has died of Coronavirus".

Don't get me wrong, the virus was certainly the immediate cause of his death, and it is tragic, but the way the newspapers are presenting it seems to suggest it's the only cause of his death, which is in my opinion something of a misnomer.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I wouldn't put it past some lockdown enthusiast to suggest using Captain Sir Tom in the Look Him In The Eyes adverts, but that really would be taking things too far, and using emotional blackmail to bully the country into complying with rules that are very near their sell by date.
Maybe they could do "Look Him in the Eyes and tell him that trip to Barbados at Christmas was worth it"?

westv

Established Member
If it hadn't been for the media Capt Tom wouldn't have made anywhere near as much as he did so

brad465

Established Member
If it hadn't been for the media Capt Tom wouldn't have made anywhere near as much as he did so
One of the few things the media has done as an act of unity; almost everything else is about peddling divide and rule for the sake of selling profitable stories and/or getting the Government they need to keep them profitable.

Bantamzen

Established Member
One thing did occur to me about this, apparently he was not vaccinated yet was in one of the priority groups. Now it may be that due to his ongoing treatment for other illnesses this wasn't possible, but I am surprised the media didn't make a fuss about it as they usually would.

Established Member
I always make a point of switching the radio off for 30 seconds or so in protest when I hear one of these vile adverts starting when driving. Works a treat. Not heard one for ages. I started doing it one day when I heard the hysterical "It is highly likely that someone on your bus, train or waiting on your platform has Coronavirus" advert whilst driving home from a 12 hour shift at a station.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
One wonders which geniuses created the adverts and how much they were paid

Maybe the same geniuses who supply muzak to stores, to make being there as unpleasant as possible

RichJF

I find the messaging pretty disgusting tbh.

Working people probably already feel under immense pressure with financial struggles, worrying about getting the virus themselves and having to keep working.
Now they have to travel to work surrounded by posters telling them they're responsible for people dying.

This government's fixation on getting us to blame each other for the COVID situation is divide and rule

All part of the govt's motive to deflect the blame, so BoJo can get re-elected at the next election & keep his public image up.

IMO he's a PM that's more interested in "looking good" rather than being pre-emptive & competent.

XAM2175

Established Member
apparently he was not vaccinated yet was in one of the priority groups. Now it may be that due to his ongoing treatment for other illnesses this wasn't possible
Yes, it was noted that he was being treated for pneumonia and that this had precluded vaccination.

Typhoon

Established Member
All part of the govt's motive to deflect the blame, so BoJo can get re-elected at the next election & keep his public image up.

IMO he's a PM that's more interested in "looking good" rather than being pre-emptive & competent.
Do you mean that you don't believe the government "did everything that we could to minimise suffering and minimise loss of life in this country as a result of the pandemic"? He's spent eleven months bumbling around and now with some sort of normality conceivable in the next nine months, he is just seeking to ensure someone, anyone is in the firing line when blame is apportioned. Of course there are individuals to blame, individuals across all generations but their impact has been minimal compared to that of our Prime Minister and his entourage. For a start, boasting about visiting hospitals and shaking hands with virus victims hardly gave the impression that the virus was serious.

So he'll be out tonight, clapping for Captain Tom. That's tomorrow's front page. Job done.

Logan Carroll

Maybe they could do "Look Him in the Eyes and tell him that trip to Barbados at Christmas was worth it"?
If i was 100 and was offered a trip to Barbados but at the risk of catching a deadly virus i would go. Better to enjoy myself now and go a tiny bit earlier.

brad465

Established Member
If i was 100 and was offered a trip to Barbados but at the risk of catching a deadly virus i would go. Better to enjoy myself now and go a tiny bit earlier.
I agree about this quality over quantity, but unfortunately in society this is too dangerous to talk about, so we end up prolonging everyone's lives regardless of how much quality time some of them get to spend in their final years. This whole pandemic has been an extreme demonstration of that.

greyman42

Established Member
I agree about this quality over quantity, but unfortunately in society this is too dangerous to talk about, so we end up prolonging everyone's lives regardless of how much quality time some of them get to spend in their final years. This whole pandemic has been an extreme demonstration of that.
How very true.

I just saw one of these in person for the first time this evening. To the command 'look him in the eyes and tell him you really can't work from home', I did exactly that (silently so others didn't think I'm mad). It was quite simple. They're a stupid series of adverts which do nothing except make our streets feel even more dystopian than they already do!

ExRes

Established Member
Personally I couldn't care less whether these adverts are on or not, I have something called a remote control which is on the settee next to my right hand, if I'm watching a channel with ads the mute button is pressed immediately the ad break begins, I also do it with the radio both indoors and in the car, my opinion of the advertising industry is so low that I'd meet Jacques Cousteau if I went down to their level, my choice is quite simple, mute the ads and ignore the advertising industry and I recommend it to all

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
How very true.
Here’s a guide to staying safe in 2020

I guess it could be updated for 2021 so as to include wearing 2 facemasks

(spoof video giving the statistics for deaths from crossing the road, drowning, falling meteorites, etc etc)

bramling

Veteran Member
Do you mean that you don't believe the government "did everything that we could to minimise suffering and minimise loss of life in this country as a result of the pandemic"? He's spent eleven months bumbling around and now with some sort of normality conceivable in the next nine months, he is just seeking to ensure someone, anyone is in the firing line when blame is apportioned. Of course there are individuals to blame, individuals across all generations but their impact has been minimal compared to that of our Prime Minister and his entourage. For a start, boasting about visiting hospitals and shaking hands with virus victims hardly gave the impression that the virus was serious.

So he'll be out tonight, clapping for Captain Tom. That's tomorrow's front page. Job done.

This post sums things up perfectly. Johnson has been utterly useless.

I just saw one of these in person for the first time this evening. To the command 'look him in the eyes and tell him you really can't work from home', I did exactly that (silently so others didn't think I'm mad). It was quite simple. They're a stupid series of adverts which do nothing except make our streets feel even more dystopian than they already do!

The trouble is these adverts will no doubt fuel those who are already hysterical. What we need is people making judicious decisions on a personal level, not getting hysterical because someone in Waitrose isn’t wearing a mask.

I agree with the view that this is all about transferring the liability for this on to the population. The more people can be guilt tripped, the more they hope people will overlook the incompetence exhibited by Johnson and his team.

Typhoon

Established Member
This post sums things up perfectly. Johnson has been utterly useless.
Thank you. However, it me it is worse, he won't admit to failings, any failings. He is trying to rewrite the news. There is not a single country/ institution who has got it all right, except (in his eyes) us. Instead we get photo-ops of him staring at test tubes, watching a vaccination take place, gazing on as others sort out some last minute provision for the increasing number of cases and (of course) him clapping. In between time, when the flack was flying, he disappears leaving others to take it when things go wrong.

I remember Jeremy Paxman nominating David Cameron for Room 101 because he was the worst Prime Minister since Lord North. I am rather hoping he has another nomination

The trouble is these adverts will no doubt fuel those who are already hysterical. What we need is people making judicious decisions on a personal level, not getting hysterical because someone in Waitrose isn’t wearing a mask.
I know the feeling - I was shouted at my some (oldish) bloke for not wearing a mask - I was on the pavement, and had stepped back because he had stepped in front of me to look into a shop window. I was killing people apparently, 100,000. A woman did intervene indicating that there was a more likely candidate but his rant continued. It is turning people against people, in particular generations against generations; when this is over we've got to live together and help the country to prosper, what hope if one part of society is pitted against another? I've got things wrong (trying to explain the 2 metre rule to the bloke above for a start) and I will admit it. I might have some respect for our PM if he did likewise and didn't try to pass it on to others.

hst43102

I know the feeling - I was shouted at my some (oldish) bloke for not wearing a mask - I was on the pavement, and had stepped back because he had stepped in front of me to look into a shop window. I was killing people apparently, 100,000. A woman did intervene indicating that there was a more likely candidate but his rant continued. It is turning people against people, in particular generations against generations; when this is over we've got to live together and help the country to prosper, what hope if one part of society is pitted against another? I've got things wrong (trying to explain the 2 metre rule to the bloke above for a start) and I will admit it. I might have some respect for our PM if he did likewise and didn't try to pass it on to others.
That's interesting. Most of the people that I've seen without masks are old, overweight people with sunflower badges round their necks!

Typhoon

Established Member
That's interesting. Most of the people that I've seen without masks are old, overweight people with sunflower badges round their necks!
I am old and rather overweight. I have been wearing a mask on the bus since before it was necessary but I usually take it off after alighting as I find breathing difficult in a mask, and had the mask ready to put on before entering a premises (I wouldn't have been allowed to enter without one, even if I had wanted to). He was wearing a mask, as was the woman I referred to. No one else in the area was. To be honest I think he took exception to me stepping back when he cut across me limiting the 'distancing' space to about half a metre. Walking round wasn't an option because of the woman. A rant was presumably easier than 'sorry'.

I have never seen a sunflower badge, I did see a woman with a home made note explaining her medical condition, soon after masks were mandatory in shops but that is it. I gather there are fraudulent sunflower badges going around.

bramling

Veteran Member
Thank you. However, it me it is worse, he won't admit to failings, any failings. He is trying to rewrite the news. There is not a single country/ institution who has got it all right, except (in his eyes) us. Instead we get photo-ops of him staring at test tubes, watching a vaccination take place, gazing on as others sort out some last minute provision for the increasing number of cases and (of course) him clapping. In between time, when the flack was flying, he disappears leaving others to take it when things go wrong.

I remember Jeremy Paxman nominating David Cameron for Room 101 because he was the worst Prime Minister since Lord North. I am rather hoping he has another nomination

Masks are pointless. The more I think about all this, the more I am coming to the conclusion that all this is simply a front to deflect from the government should they find down the line people turn on them and start, for example, blaming the NHS.

With the flurry of cases picked up in settings like hospitals and care homes, and the likelihood of such cases catching disproportionately catching elderly or vulnerable individuals and thus leading to bad outcomes, and bearing in mind they know negative feelings on management of the NHS is electorally damaging, no wonder they want it to be “people aren’t following the rules”.

Anyone starting on me over masks is now getting the full works; it’s time to start fighting back against all this silliness now.

You’re quite right about Johnson not admitting to mistakes too. Some, though not all, of the errors through this are in the circumstances forgivable if only they’d had the integrity to admit to them and move forwards without repeating the same mistakes. I’m sure Whitty knows that the “follow the science” policy (as opposed to “be informed by the science and lead the decisions” which is what it should have been) will result in him personally being thrown straight under the bus in due course.

island

Veteran Member
Curious whether or not complaining to the ASA (If enough people did it,) would have any effect on getting these stupid government ads removed.
It would be worth the attempt.
I think the Government should be forced to reveal how all of the participants in the advert have fared after recording.
Did all patients fully recover, did all of the medical staff avoid infection.
I know this is a rhetorical question, but if these people weren't genuine, are the Government guilty of misrepresentation.
I would be most surprised indeed if the people depicted were not actors.
And expect it to increase ten-fold now Sir Captain Tom has passed. I'd be incredibly surprised if they don't jump on it and tell us it was all our fault.
Maybe he should have stayed at home?
Quite.
I gather there are fraudulent sunflower badges going around.
Can you clarify what you mean by "fraudulent sunflower badges" please?

bramling

Veteran Member
It would be worth the attempt.

I would be most surprised indeed if the people depicted were not actors.

Maybe he should have stayed at home?

Quite.

Surely a fraudulent sunflower badge is, by definition, impossible?

We can sure there will be a “project blame” over the next few months, indeed we already have it in many ways. I’m not sure this is entirely going to wash however - my local news has been running a story over the last couple of days highlighting how a considerable number of people locally are believed to have become infected within NHS settings, in particular hospitals. I suppose that will be all our faults for actually using the NHS...

Typhoon

Established Member
I have heard it reported on the radio (hence quote marks) that people are selling copies of the badges that can be obtained for free in certain supermarkets to unsuspecting people. In the case given, the recipient was qualified, but they may get into the hands of others.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I gather there are fraudulent sunflower badges going around.
No such thing as a fraudulent sunflower badge. I'd say those who mandate masks are the real fraudsters, but that's another story ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.