• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Look him in the eye" adverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdd89

Established Member
I have heard it reported on the radio (hence quote marks) that people are selling copies of the badges that can be obtained for free in certain supermarkets to unsuspecting people.
Where would one obtain a “real” sunflower lanyard/badge?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I thought it was common knowledge that these lanyards can be purchased on Amazon? My employer made masks mandatory in the workplace in November last year, and recently tightened the policy to ask those exempt to provide medical evidence of exemption (under the guise of a duty of care to all employees, under health and safety rules).
It may be purely coincidental, but four managers across two shifts started wearing the sunflower lanyard about 3 weeks before the mandatory face coverings policy was officially communicated. The lanyards are often sold in packs of 4...

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Just wait until these adverts are used every year to justify the annual winter lockdown to prevent flu killing tens of thousands of photogenic pensioners

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is no requirement for anyone who is exempt to show a lanyard. Anyone who does choose to wear a lanyard can source it from anywhere, or make their own.

People effectively self-certify based on the exemption criteria.

bramling

Veteran Member
Just wait until these adverts are used every year to justify the annual winter lockdown to prevent flu killing tens of thousands of photogenic pensioners

The self-same pensioners who are apparently bursting at the seams to get out and about transmitting Covid to all the younger people who have had to put their life on hold for the past year.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where would one obtain a “real” sunflower lanyard/badge?
I’ve seen them being handed out at railway stations. Tesco’s have branded ones at their customer service desks and also Sainsbury’s I’ve seen have them with the security guard.

nedchester

Established Member
There is no requirement for anyone who is exempt to show a lanyard. Anyone who does choose to wear a lanyard can source it from anywhere, or make their own.

So they can self certify on the basis that they 'don't want to wear a mask' rather than any real medical need.

DB

So they can self certify on the basis that they 'don't want to wear a mask' rather than any real medical need.

Ah yes, you're one of the posters who takes the same view as the maskivists who hassle people in supermarkets, aren't you? You've previously made it clear that you think I am 'faking it' despite having no idea what my reason for not wearing a mask is...

nedchester

Established Member
Ah yes, you're one of the posters who takes the same view as the maskivists who hassle people in supermarkets, aren't you? You've previously made it clear that you think I am 'faking it' despite having no idea what my reason for not wearing a mask is...
Nope. I hate masks and never hassle people but am more than aware that people abuse the system by 'faking it' and no I didn't accuse you of 'faking it' although you could be I suppose? Only you know if you are or not......

DB

Nope. I hate masks and never hassle people but am more than aware that people abuse the system by 'faking it' and no I didn't accuse you of 'faking it' although you could be I suppose?

You did very strongly imply on a previous thread that you thought I was 'faking it' - and there you go again with the same implication.

Do you actually have any evidence that there is any issue with people claiming to be exempt who aren't? Because I've not seen any, and judging from the number of people who ARE wearing masks it seems very unlikely that it's happening other than in a small number of cases.

nedchester

Established Member
You did very strongly imply on a previous thread that you thought I was 'faking it' - and there you go again with the same implication.

Do you actually have any evidence that there is any issue with people claiming to be exempt who aren't? Because I've not seen any, and judging from the number of people who ARE wearing masks it seems very unlikely that it's happening other than in a small number of cases.
Is there any evidence that you are exempt? Just asking not accusing, of course!! ;)

I find this forum is a bit of an echo chamber for anti-lockdown, anti-mask etc..........I am not pro either but realise there may be a need for certain restrictions.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

It does not have to be a "medical need"; here is the criteria:
This includes (but is not limited to):
  • children under the age of 11 (Public Health England does not recommend face coverings for children under the age of 3 for health and safety reasons)
  • people who cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability
  • where putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause you severe distress
  • if you are speaking to or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading, clear sound or facial expressions to communicate
  • to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others ‒ including if it would negatively impact on your ability to exercise or participate in a strenuous activity
  • police officers and other emergency workers, given that this may interfere with their ability to serve the public
Is there any evidence that you are exempt? Just asking not accusing, of course!! ;)
There is no requirement for anyone to produce evidence.
I find this forum is a bit of an echo chamber for anti-lockdown, anti-mask etc..........
I refer you to this thread:

To avoid duplication, I suggest continuing this discussion there.

DB

I find this forum is a bit of an echo chamber..........

I am under no obligation to provide you with any evidence, and my reason for being exempt is absolutely none of your business.

Кряква

I personally just find these adverts amusing. I've giggled inadvertently more than once on seeing them.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that these adverts are simply an attempt by the government to maintain order and ensure that the public blame each other.

Well, it's working.

nedchester

Established Member
I am under no obligation to provide you with any evidence, and my reason for being exempt is absolutely none of your business.
And I am under no obligation to give to any evidence that some are claiming they can't wear masks when they just don't want to.

It does not have to be a "medical need"; here is the criteria:

There is no requirement for anyone to produce evidence.

I refer you to this thread:

To avoid duplication, I suggest continuing this discussion there.
So not 'I don't want to wear one because if I do I will spit my dummy out'?!!

DB

And I am under no obligation to give to any evidence that some are claiming they can't wear masks when they just don't want to.

I am asking you to provide evidence for something which you claim is a general problem - a perfectly reasonable request.

You are asking me to provide personal information, which is not a reasonable request.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well we reach a stalemate and cannot resolve that. In the UK there isn't a method by which everyone can be forced to wear a mask, as this isn't China. It would break the law in this country. If people want a more authoritarian regime, they could move to one ;)

So not 'I don't want to wear one because if I do I will spit my dummy out'?!!
That's not listed as an exemption reason, but that does not preclude anyone matching that description being exempt based on any of the listed criteria.

bramling

Veteran Member

Yes, a fact some people simply need to come to terms with.

Likewise the fact that most mask users fail to use their masks correctly, even those strongly in favour like Biden.

nedchester

Established Member
Yes, a fact some people simply need to come to terms with.

Likewise the fact that most mask users fail to use their masks correctly, even those strongly in favour like Biden.
I agree most mask wearers don't use them correctly. Mine's stuffed in my back pocket now. I suppose it should be washed daily but the point is I'm giving it a go when I pop into Tesco's and it really doesn't hurt. I don't want to be wearing one in a year's time but happy to go along without stamping my feet like a petulant about it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I agree most mask wearers don't use them correctly. Mine's stuffed in my back pocket now. I suppose it should be washed daily but the point is I'm giving it a go when I pop into Tesco's and it really doesn't hurt...
This does demonstrate it's mostly for show ;)

But we are going round in circles and straying from the topic.

Back to the "look him in the eye" posters, I think that they are harmful for our mental wellbeing as well as deterring physical activity which exacerbates the problem.

bramling

Veteran Member
I agree most mask wearers don't use them correctly. Mine's stuff in my back pocket now. I suppose it should be washed daily but the point is I'm giving it a go when I pop into Tesco's and it really doesn't hurt. I don't want to be wearing one in a year's time but happy to go along without stamping my feet like a petulant about it.

It’s not a case of being petulant about it.

Having considered the matter I am more persuaded by the views expressed by scientists such as Jenny Harries that masks are likely to be doing more harm than good in the setting of a lightly loaded train, than by hysterical rambling from agenda-politicians like Sadiq Khan. Therefore on balance I have made the decision that I will not be wearing one.

As you say, misuse is legion, a fact which further informs my views on the matter. If people advocating that I modify my behaviour to suit their own preferences can’t even be bothered to use them correctly, then why should I take them seriously?

Anyone who’s been inside a hospital recently will know mask usage is completely different when being used in their intended setting, compared to trains and shops when anyone can stuff a pair of dirty pants over their face.

ExRes

Established Member
The self-same pensioners who are apparently bursting at the seams to get out and about transmitting Covid to all the younger people who have had to put their life on hold for the past year.

That's some brush you've got there, it obviously manages to paint at random, perhaps it should also paint the hordes of younger people who've taken no notice whatsoever of social distancing and have been passing the virus round at every opportunity putting their own lives on hold for the past year

bramling

Veteran Member
That's some brush you've got there, it obviously manages to paint at random, perhaps it should also paint the hordes of younger people who've taken no notice whatsoever of social distancing and have been passing the virus round at every opportunity putting their own lives on hold for the past year

I know, to be fair I was probably being rather harsh. However, as a serious point it will be interesting to see how vaccinated pensioners behave over the next few months.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Everyone. We’ve been round and round in circles with the masks debate and everything that needed to be said has been said on that subject for now.
This isn’t going to become another thread about masks and at the moment this thread is on borrowed time as far as I’m concerned anyway.
Please keep it on topic or it’ll be locked.
Thank you!

bramling

Veteran Member
Maybe it allows those who are nervous to feel comfortable. And yes I know we shouldn't be unnecessarily scaring people.

I’m not sure giving people a false sense of security is helpful. I know someone who seems to have had exactly that after receiving his vaccination, his daughter’s funeral will be later this month thanks to Covid having passed over.

We all know masks were the government’s big idea last summer for getting people back to work and into shops. The former at least didn’t seem to happen in great numbers.

Кряква

I’m not sure giving people a false sense of security is helpful. I know someone who seems to have had exactly that after receiving his vaccination, his daughter’s funeral will be later this month thanks to Covid having passed over.

We all know masks were the government’s big idea last summer for getting people back to work and into shops. The former at least didn’t seem to happen in great numbers.

Strongly agree with this. Moving away from the mask debate - individuals who are vulnerable, or individuals who interact with those who are vulnerable, absolutely should be doing their best to remain inside as much as possible and not interact with the general public.

(That is, if the vulnerable individuals themselves choose to. They should absolutely have the choice to take the risk if they so desire, in our free land.)

A lot of this debate reminds me of my motorcycle lessons as a teenager. You may technically have the right of way and be riding within the laws of the nation as you crest over that hill at 60mph, but are you willing to fly over a car bonnet out of principle?

island

Veteran Member
I hope this won't offend the above request by Cowley, but I'm surprised we haven't had a poster saying "look him in the eye and tell him you really can't wear a mask".

birchesgreen

Established Member
To be honest i've avoided them largely though i did see one last night that said Look them in the eyes and tell them you can't work from home.

Yeah of course its the employee who decides if they can work from home or not isn't it, not the employer! What a horrible and hateful advert.

Ediswan

Established Member
Yeah of course its the employee who decides if they can work from home or not isn't it, not the employer!
It can happen. Where I was working last summer, there were some roles which had to be present in person. Many others were 'at you discretion'. There was no longer room for everybody to be in at the same time, but demand never exceeded supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.