• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spamcan81

But if you have a temperature, you're not asymptomatic.

The post to which I was replying mentioned nothing about a temperature, only "If I thought there was even the slightest possibility I was ill" If a person is asymptomatic, how can they think they were ill?

Enthusiast

If the staff member in question is happy donning a face mask as reassurance to others, what concern is it of yours?
I think it is the business of others in the current circumstances. In normal times if a member of the bank's staff decided to do something daft but unharmful I'd accept that it was a matter between he or she and the manager. However, these are not normal times. As we've seen in this brief thread, all manner of ridiculous and/or confusing rules and guidance are spewing out from the government seemingly almost daily. Some of this, I would suggest, is downright dangerous (and I include the wearing of facemasks by people untrained in their use near to the top of that list). The longer this persists, the longer those dangers will exist. If uninformed people are being "reassured" by others doing completely daft things in the guise of "keeping them safe" then the government needs to get its act together with some proper education. In the case in point what the bank teller is doing is utterly ridiculous and it's doing nobody any good by falsely reassuring them with such nonsense.

Journeyman

Established Member
The post to which I was replying mentioned nothing about a temperature, only "If I thought there was even the slightest possibility I was ill" If a person is asymptomatic, how can they think they were ill?

But if I'm asymptomatic, what will a temperature check spot? Nothing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But if I'm asymptomatic, what will a temperature check spot? Nothing.

Indeed. Clearly temperature checks are intended to catch people who are trying it on, i.e. travelling anyway despite having symptoms. Though they could be symptoms of something else, as there's more than one disease that gives you a temperature (and not all of them are communicable), and this is all about one specific one.

Journeyman

Established Member
Indeed. Clearly temperature checks are intended to catch people who are trying it on, i.e. travelling anyway despite having symptoms. Though they could be symptoms of something else, as there's more than one disease that gives you a temperature (and not all of them are communicable), and this is all about one specific one.

Yup. As far as I'm concerned, the only person qualified to tell me whether or not I'm a threat to public health or not is someone administering a proper test. I'm not going to be bossed around by someone completely unqualified with a Hi-vis vest and a thermometer from Amazon.

Any business making a temperature check a condition of entry isn't getting my money. That's acting way beyond your expertise and authority, and is a gross invasion of privacy.

Last edited:

AdamWW

Established Member

They could be about something else, but at the moment all fevers are supposed to be treated as suspect Covid and if you have a high temperature you get a test and stay home until told you don't have it.

So that raises a question - if you try to go into a pub and are refused entry because you have a high temperature, can you wave a negative Covid test result at them and get in? I suspect not...

Richard Scott

Established Member
Yup. As far as I'm concerned, the only person qualified to tell me whether or not I'm a threat to public health or not is someone administering a proper test. I'm not going to be bossed around by someone completely unqualified with a Hi-vis vest and a thermometer from Amazon.

Any business making a temperature check a condition of entry isn't getting my money. That's acting way beyond your expertise and authority, and is a gross invasion of privacy.
I doubt a temperature check will pick anything up anyway? Surely your surface temperature on your forehead is lower than core temperature? What are they looking for temperature wise anyway as even if had a fever doubt would get higher than 37degrees on the forehead? Perhaps someone can confirm or tell me I'm talking rubbish?

trebor79

Established Member
I doubt a temperature check will pick anything up anyway? Surely your surface temperature on your forehead is lower than core temperature? What are they looking for temperature wise anyway as even if had a fever doubt would get higher than 37degrees on the forehead? Perhaps someone can confirm or tell me I'm talking rubbish?
The people that make the temperature guns have thought of that. It's a calibrated core temperature inferred from forehead temperature.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I'm sure that one of the government's scentific advisors was asked about temperature checking at airports at one of the press conferences and they poo-pooed it.

MikeWM

Established Member
My doctor's surgery has been doing forehead temperature checks for months (caused an queue outside when a nurse was trying for at least five minutes to get a reading from one guy's forehead and continually failed to do so; in the end she had to give up and just let him in; meanwhile a few fraile-looking elderly people had to stand with their frames and sticks in the hot sun...)

Not sure what you're supposed to do if you have something other than Covid that gives you a fever. Go home and suffer, I guess?

Conversely, when I had to go to the hospital last week, they didn't check my temperature. Consistency and logic are no longer on offer in this country.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When I went into the walk in centre at MK Hospital last week the conversation at the entrance (they had an outdoor anti-COVID triage tent going on) it was a bit odd.

"Have you got COVID symptoms?"
"Well, sort of, yes, but they're not COVID as I had a test yesterday and it was negative, do you want to see the result?"
"Umm, er, not quite sure what to do"

The conclusion was to let me in but as "possible COVID" so I had to sit on my own until a fully PPE-d doctor came over and confirmed it indeed wasn't quite the same symptoms and that the test the previous day was enough!

Richard Scott

Established Member
I'm sure that one of the government's scentific advisors was asked about temperature checking at airports at one of the press conferences and they poo-pooed it.
I'm what way? Genuine question, did they poo-poo it as nonsense to check temperature as couldn't be accurate or my point about accuracy of the temperature probes being used being inaccurate?

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm what way? Genuine question, did they poo-poo it as nonsense to check temperature as couldn't be accurate or my point about accuracy of the temperature probes being used being inaccurate?

Even if they're accurate, unqualified people should not be making decisions purely on the reading, which could be interpreted in a whole range of ways.

AdamWW

Established Member
Inferred???

That makes me feel much better.

Not.

OK. How about this. The core temperature is calculated from the skin temperature, and the accuracy of the technique has been tested by measuring a set of people both using the stand-off device and a more direct measurement.

Hospitals routinely use in-ear thermometers which presumably in a similar manner as they are also non-contact, though I'm sure they are more accurate.

I think because only a relatively small fraction of infected people actually have a high temperature, not because they don't believe you can measure someone's temperature in this fashion.

DelayRepay

Established Member
That's not odd from a business continuity point of view. If one of you gets snared by the contact tracing it's bad enough, but if you're all sharing cars then it gets a whole lot worse as you'll all get snared by it!
On the bus, of course, you won't.

I get that, but the rules do not prevent us catching the same bus. And to be honest we work together - despite screens, hand gell etc, if one if us gets snared the other will too regardless if we've been in a car together or not.

AdamWW

Established Member
I get that, but the rules do not prevent us catching the same bus. And to be honest we work together - despite screens, hand gell etc, if one if us gets snared the other will too regardless if we've been in a car together or not.

It's a bit disappointing that by now we don't have a better idea of what the risks are from various levels of contact at work.

adc82140

Established Member
To clear up the thermometer thing. I work on the NHS front line. The IR thermometers are not accurate. Back at the start of all this I was declared clinically dead because I'd been outside sorting out a dodgy data connection for half an hour in temperatures of about 3 degrees. My skin surface was cold. Now we are getting patients turning up with 40 degree plus temperatures registering. They do not have a raging fever, they have been sat in a hot car. A quick cross check with one of the proper in ear jobs proves them to be at normal body temperature.

trebor79

Established Member
To clear up the thermometer thing. I work on the NHS front line. The IR thermometers are not accurate. Back at the start of all this I was declared clinically dead because I'd been outside sorting out a dodgy data connection for half an hour in temperatures of about 3 degrees. My skin surface was cold. Now we are getting patients turning up with 40 degree plus temperatures registering. They do not have a raging fever, they have been sat in a hot car. A quick cross check with one of the proper in ear jobs proves them to be at normal body temperature.
Yes this is true.
Reminds me of the time with our first child, aged about 6 months and Mrs checked his temperature as he was bawling his head off. Panicked when it said something stupid like 32.
Apparently me saying "Well that's a load of b******s, he'd be dead if that was true" wasn't helpful :s.
We've got an in rear job now. We periodically go through the disposable caps like no tomorrow but at least there's no panicking.

I wonder how long it will take for shops etc to raise they are useless?

carlberry

Established Member
We've got an in rear job now. We periodically go through the disposable caps like no tomorrow but at least there's no panicking.
That's dedication! If you have to start bending over for a temperature check before going into shops the high street is just going to close down! :D

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'd be very tempted to avoid places operating temperature checks, as they're not hugely accurate, and how can someone with no medical training be expected to sensibly make decisions on who goes in or not? Completely OTT. If I thought there was even the slightest possibility I was ill, I'd be at home, not attempting to spread my germs in a pub.
Whenever I have been unwell with a temperature I've certainly not been well enough to go to the pub.

Journeyman

Established Member
Whenever I have been unwell with a temperature I've certainly not been well enough to go to the pub.

Well, quite. If I'm attempting to gain access to a pub, I think it goes without saying that I don't have a raging fever.

Journeyman

Established Member
You perhaps, but there are people who are less trustworthy.

It might be arguable to be a bit pointless, but I don't see why anyone would object to it.

Because people without medical qualifications have absolutely no right to decide whether I'm a health risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.