• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I live near a McDonald's which has implemented measures to stop cars passing within 2mtrs of each other when approaching and leaving the drive through counter. I'm unsure what they hope to achieve by that but never mind...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talldave

Established Member
I've noticed in South East London that the do-gooders in local councils have removed every other swing from playgrounds. Swings that already had a separation of more than 2m? So children now have to queue needlessly simply because the little hitlers in local authorities feel the the need to exert some form of pointless control.

Obviously these idiots were hiding in their bunkers during lockdown and didn't notice that parents and children were enjoying the full compliment of swings having simply climbed past the chemical-spill grade signage and tape. Despite all this reckless enjoyment, infection rates plummeted and I don't think any children died.

carlberry

Established Member
2. The closure of toilets. Covid is the least of your worries in a public lav. Wash your hands like I hope you normally would anyway.
I don't spend a lot of time observing this however the number of people who use public lavs and don't bother washing their hands appears to have increased, and most of the offenders are those wearing masks! Obviously this isnt a scientific study, however it does suggest some major reality gap going on!

jumble

I've seen lots of over the top restrictions such as temperature checks to enter a restaurant and food served only in take away containers.

My most hated has to be the amount of signage at stansted airport which has all been printed on a template with "for your safety" written on it. Theres one in every toilet cubicle saying to keep the seat down when flushing the toilet to stop the spread of covid-19. In addition to them dotted all around the terminal advising to wear a mask, not to sit on certain seats, to keep your distance etc (all for my safety).

What ott restrictions have you seen ?

Green Park underground in the first week of lockdown
Diversion across Piccadilly with staff employed to tell you where to go
Booking Hall was almost completely empty

AM9

Veteran Member
I would say the most over the top restriction was in my local branch of the Yorkshire Bank.

The lady cashier working behind the re-enforced glass screen was wearing a face visor (that made her look like she should be cutting down trees!!!).

Because of the size of the counter - where she was sat to where customers were stood is at least two metres with the glass screen and of course the slot where you place your money & documents means no physical contact anyway.

I asked this lady why she needed to wear the face visor and she told me directly she was wearing it simply to reassure some of the customers, particularly the older people who don't use online banking and still rely on visiting their local branch.

I thought this scenario was absurb - there was no reason to wear the mask.

CJ
Why is that so 'absurb', (or even absurd), - she was just making a little more effort to reassure some other people, - something that so many here seem to be unwilling to do.

talldave

Established Member
Why is that so 'absurb', (or even absurd), - she was just making a little more effort to reassure some other people, - something that so many here seem to be unwilling to do.
So we have to pander to the needs of the stupid? If someone can't work out the relative effectiveness of bullet proof glass vs flimsy plastic, they're beyond help. It's the proliferation of pointless gestures that leads to more pointless gestures.

Bluewater shopping centre have a pointless one way system - allegedly to enforce physical distancing. But they've added narrow "crossing" points at which it's impossible to distance. But if you dare attempt to cross anywhere other than at the narrow crossing point, the hi-viz power-trip Gestapo shout at you. However, when you point out the flaw in their wonderful scheme, they just look at you blankly. One wonders if one of the after-effects of coronavirus is a total loss of common sense.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Butterfly stroke and backstroke have been “banned” in swimming pools.

Simon11

Established Member
When I went to a restaurant last week, it was around ten steps from our table to the toilet door passing no-one. However you had to follow the one-way system which means that you have to walk 80 steps around the restaurant and thus walking past everyone else in the restaurant..... Lets have common sense here!

Last edited:

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
The one way system at Finsbury Park Underground station is way over the top. A 550m diversion to enter the station.
As I pointed out on another thread, they’ve closed entirely the spiral staircases that link Rail to Tube at Finsbury Park.
Allowing movement in only one direction as part of a one-way system would be understandable. Taking them out of use entirely is an absolute joke. Though not funny at all.

C J Snarzell

Established Member

It is absurd to wear a visor when there is absolutely no reason to!!!

The re-enforced screen in the bank is thick glass - you cannot breathe through it or spit through it (why anyone would want to spit anyway - I'm just making my point) so you cannot get within two metres of contact of the bank teller if you tried!

As I've said - the bank employee kind of implied there was no reason to wear the visor for safety - she was wearing it for visual appearance only which I just think is totally and utterly wrong.

It's a bit like wearing a seat belt in a parked car with no keys in the ignition or maybe a builder going off a construction site and wearing his hard hat in the staff canteen during his tea break.

As far as I'm concerned it's unnecessary.

CJ

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So we have to pander to the needs of the stupid? If someone can't work out the relative effectiveness of bullet proof glass vs flimsy plastic, they're beyond help.

The effectiveness of bulletproof glass or thin plastic sheeting as far as COVID control goes is exactly the same (neither will allow any virus through). What matters is what gaps there are and where, if any.

There is an argument to say that they should wear a mask, though, not because of any aerosols in the air but for the same reason a surgeon does - so they don't breathe larger droplets that end up on your cash before you get it. However a visor would be ineffective for this as there's a big gap at the bottom!

_toommm_

Established Member
Have you experienced the walk around the lifts at Leeds station to get from the departure boards to platform 6? Pic attached.

@Huntergreed I’m starting to feel part of the gang now, next thing you know I’ll be burning my N95;)
View attachment 81143

I had that last Saturday; at 5:30 in the morning. I was also quizzed on the barriers as to why I was going to Manchester Vic (in a shirt and tie; clearly going to work). 'Standard procedure' I was told by the volunteer who did this.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It is absurd to wear a visor when there is absolutely no reason to!!!

The re-enforced screen in the bank is thick glass - you cannot breathe through it or spit through it (why anyone would want to spit anyway - I'm just making my point) so you cannot get within two metres of contact of the bank teller if you tried!

As I've said - the bank employee kind of implied there was no reason to wear the visor for safety - she was wearing it for visual appearance only which I just think is totally and utterly wrong.

It's a bit like wearing a seat belt in a parked car with no keys in the ignition or maybe a builder going off a construction site and wearing his hard hat in the staff canteen during his tea break.

As far as I'm concerned it's unnecessary.

CJ

Its like many of these measures being taken, there are there just so they can say "we are doing something". As I've said before, we may as well go back to pot banging to help as we fall further & further into Dark Ages solutions.

duncanp

Established Member
I was in a pub yesterday and in walking from my table to the toilet I accidentally brushed my hand against one of the other tables.

I was then told off by the barmaid because that would mean she would have to sanitise the table again.

Never mind that I had sanitised my hand only 5 minutes previously.

Talk about micro management. :rolleyes:

DB

Given the railway industry's love of pointless 'safety' measures and announcements under normal circumstances, it's no great surprise that they've fully embraced the opportunity to introduce a load more!

carlberry

Established Member
I was in a pub yesterday and in walking from my table to the toilet I accidentally brushed my hand against one of the other tables.

I was then told off by the barmaid because that would mean she would have to sanitise the table again.

I hope she didn't ask what you were going to do in the toilet!

Howardh

Established Member
Last night in and around Bolton;
Bar 1; temperature check on the way in, name and number taken, waited to be seated, served by a witress, paid at the table.
Bar 2; walked in, straight to the bar, ordered a pint, paid, went to table. (No temp, no name, no at-table service etc)

So either (1) or (2) is following the correct procedure in keeping me an their staff safe. Anyhow - talk about inconsistency??

DB

Bar 1; temperature check on the way in, name and number taken, waited to be seated, served by a witress, paid at the table.
Bar 2; walked in, straight to the bar, ordered a pint, paid, went to table. (No temp, no name, no at-table service etc)

So either (1) or (2) is following the correct procedure in keeping me an their staff safe. Anyhow - talk about inconsistency??

Which one was busier? If I was choosing one of those there would be no question which!

duncanp

Established Member
I hope she didn't ask what you were going to do in the toilet!

No she didn't - but it was like being back at school when teacher tells you off in front of the class.

Perhaps all pubs/railway stations should have a naughty step where anyone who breaks one of their silly rules has to stand in front of everyone for 5 minutes. :D

py_megapixel

Established Member

I don't know...

All these precautions can seem irritating but honestly how much inconvenience is a quick temp check (presumably with one of those IR forehead thermometers) and giving a name+number? Probably adds at most 2 minutes to the time it takes you to get in. And it's reasurring to see that they're at least trying to do something about it.

Established Member
I had that last Saturday; at 5:30 in the morning. I was also quizzed on the barriers as to why I was going to Manchester Vic (in a shirt and tie; clearly going to work). 'Standard procedure' I was told by the volunteer who did this.

Ridiculous.

You would be quite within your rights to decline to answer that question. I would certainly do so.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

You just vote with your feet and don't go back. If enough customers to that establishment do that they will soon change their ways.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Ridiculous.

You would be quite within your rights to decline to answer that question. I would certainly do so.

I agree. And quite aside from the question being impertinent, weren't the public transport restrictions relaxed on the Friday before? You would have been quite within your rights to make even a non-essential journey at that time.

Journeyman

Established Member

I'd be very tempted to avoid places operating temperature checks, as they're not hugely accurate, and how can someone with no medical training be expected to sensibly make decisions on who goes in or not? Completely OTT. If I thought there was even the slightest possibility I was ill, I'd be at home, not attempting to spread my germs in a pub.

AdamWW

Established Member
I'd be very tempted to avoid places operating temperature checks, as they're not hugely accurate, and how can someone with no medical training be expected to sensibly make decisions on who goes in or not? Completely OTT. If I thought there was even the slightest possibility I was ill, I'd be at home, not attempting to spread my germs in a pub.

I would have thought that "stand-off" temperature checks aren't likely to be all that accurate, but surely there is a simple rule - temperature below some value, in you go; above it, you don't come in.

The results of a false positive could be rather a problem if you need to eat and you aren't allowed in, but it could be even more interesting if applied to public transport.

Go out for the day, then when you try to come back you're denied entrance to the station because their hand-held thermometer says you have a fever...

The last time I looked, the rule on VIA Rail in Canada was that if they decided your temperature was too high you were banned from their entire network (such as it is) for 2 weeks unless you could come back with a negative Covid test.

Established Member
I agree. And quite aside from the question being impertinent, weren't the public transport restrictions relaxed on the Friday before? You would have been quite within your rights to make even a non-essential journey at that time.

Quite. And of course those needing to travel to work, and unable to work from home, have always been entitled to use public transport.

As has been repeatedly made clear, the “rules” are a matter of personal responsibility and enforcement, if required, is to be done by the police. It’s completely inappropriate for TOC gate-line staff to be quizzing passengers about their reasons for travelling.

Exactly the same goes for staff working in supermarkets and shops re. “enforcement” of mask wearing.

Last edited:

Jozhua

Established Member
Oh I've got a completely ridiculous one courtesy of Manchester Arndale

To comply with social distancing they have closed 30% of female bathrooms and 60% of male bathrooms. If you wish to use the bathroom, you have to walk halfway across the shopping centre into an overcrowded bathroom with a mass of people waiting in it (not social distancing).

I believe this is to stop people from coming too close in the corridors leading to them? I'm confused to be honest.

Due to the stress of the experience, I just left early and headed home.

Why to "comply with social distancing", the amount of public facilities open has been reduced is beyond me. What happened to washing your hands frequently with soap and water?

Needless to say, for people like myself suffering from hidden disabilities, having limited bathroom acess is not positive.

talldave

Established Member
You just vote with your feet and don't go back. If enough customers to that establishment do that they will soon change their ways.
This is how we fight back. Friend of a friend walked out of a coffee shop this morning after being told they had to wear a mask, but mysteriously the staff member ran out after them having decided that they no longer needed a mask.

Established Member
This is how we fight back. Friend of a friend walked out of a coffee shop this morning after being told they had to wear a mask, but mysteriously the staff member ran out after them having decided that they no longer needed a mask.

I hope they kept walking!

Status
Not open for further replies.