• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The New Measurement Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

calc7

Established Member
I'm a semi-frequent long-distance traveller, living in London, yet I seem to have seen this train in so many different places over the last year or two. (Sheffield, York, Manchester, Huddersfield, Derby, Rugeley WCML, Euston this evening, and many more). When I saw it earlier today, I wondered if anyone sees it this frequently, or if it's just an ongoing matter of luck for me?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bonus55

I come back to check this thread and I get:
You have had a post deleted, reason: *16 - Adds nothing to topic*

How does explaining that the NMT running high traffic routes on a fortnightly basis 'add nothing to the topic'?

Firstly, I am of the opinion that everything posted in a thread offers something, it's how a thread progresses.

The thread asks if anyone sees it frequently, to which highlighting the fact that frequents the high traffic lines regularly therefore explaining why the OP would see it frequently is continuing the conversation. I also mentioned that I'd been on it the day before, which opens me up for further perhaps relevant questions.

I'm a time-served forum user and for my sins I also own and operate my own forum, so I've encountered much over-zealous moderation, but this is a new one on me.

Yes mad.

Hydro

Established Member
I'm posting this in place of my tongue in cheek deleted post to say that I work on the test trains, and have worked the NMT numerous times and thus see it frequently. Any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

How's that for irrelevance?

The Planner

Veteran Member
I can imagine it is quite dull sometimes, when I went on it we spent an awful lot of time in loops !

Hydro

Established Member
I can imagine it is quite dull all of the time

Fixed for you, no extra charge.

The NMT is probably the least looped train of the lot, all things running well. It tends to do big long mainline runs (few exceptions) where each test run lasts for many miles, sometimes hundreds so you'll end up with 2 or 3 test runs. This makes it annoyingly tedious. The Sprinter diagrams will do sometimes upwards of 20 test runs a night, shorter runs but normally much worse track (plenty of faults), odd branches and chords (lots of mileage checks and synchronisations). Certainly more to keep the brain ticking over and the crew on their toes.

The NMT has a few crappy turns though, I'm being a bit unfair really. It's not all "trigger on the quarter mile post at Padd and stare at the monitors until Swansea".

Hydro

Established Member
I never realised it was a duplicate, and I posted in the other one!

Hydro

Established Member
Still happens. Lab 5 is to be resurrected as a new test coach next year.

Bonus55

This thread didn't ever take off originally because the original post by calc7 was duplicated - the other version got all the response, including all the diagrams etc:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55117

Intradesting.

I posted in this one and a moderator removed my post (and the succeeding ones) and it was back to a simple thread with no responders.

brb checking the other thread.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I did think I was experiencing a bit of deja vu when I saw this thread. I swear I posted on an identical thread a couple of weeks ago! Glad that mystery is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.