• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Norton Bridge Flyover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Not quite, the fasts don't get moved over that far. The Up Slow doesn't move, it stays where it is now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
The old junction will have been taken out by the end of May, when the new East Chord is brought into use.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Not quite, the fasts don't get moved over that far. The Up Slow doesn't move, it stays where it is now.

I had imagined the Up Slow would take the place presently occupied by the Down Slow. Is that not the case?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
While I understand what you mean, it's worth noting that you can request old threads to be re-opened. :)

This is correct! The thread has now been reopened and merged with the one that was started today, as I hope you can see ;)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I see from RTT that the flyover towards Stone and the new Down Slow towards Crewe open on Tuesday March 29.
The Stone route trains seem to be using the flyover, but the new Down Slow which rejoins the old route north of Norton Bridge is only being used for freight apart from some very late VT/LM services.
In essence, all the LM Liverpool services are shown as using the Down Fast.
On the day, of course, things might be different.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...16/03/29/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Three new junction names to learn:
Searchlight Lane Jn (where the Stone route leaves the new Down Slow)
Yarnfield Jn (where the new route ties in with the old on the Stone route)
Little Bridgeford Jn (where the Up Stone joins the WCML Up Slow).
Hopefully all rated at 100mph (maybe not at Yarnfield, as the branch itself is only 75mph).

Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
Three new junction names to learn:
Searchlight Jn (where the Down Stone leaves the Down Slow)
Yarnfield Jn (where the new route ties in with the old on the Stone route)
Little Bridgeford Jn (where the Up Stone joins the WCML Up Slow).

Searchlight Lane Jn, to be precise.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
So if the plan is still to not have any timetable changes/increased number of services until Dec 2017, will the improvements at Easter and Christmas lead to a significant increase in reliablity/ability for slow running trains to make up time more easily?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
So if the plan is still to not have any timetable changes/increased number of services until Dec 2017, will the improvements at Easter and Christmas lead to a significant increase in reliablity/ability for slow running trains to make up time more easily?

Seriously -wow- IMHO Dec 2016 would be much fairer and reasonable - don't know if those are the right words. :(

D1009

Established Member
Once a grade separated junction replaces a busy flat junction you will immediately get better reliability, as long as the new kit works properly.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Once a grade separated junction replaces a busy flat junction you will immediately get better reliability, as long as the new kit works properly.

Even if the new kit did not work correctly, surely these would only be minor teething problems calling for the odd tweak. I mean the OHLE bit should be OK - of course it is AT so I assume the best test would be two pendos or more passing at once. What could go wrong?

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Seriously -wow- IMHO Dec 2016 would be much fairer and reasonable - don't know if those are the right words. :(

Hendy delivery plan

p.72 here seems to suggest that the power supply upgrade will need to be completed before the timetable change.

According to Network Rail, the flyover will come into use this Easter. Presumably this means we could have a period of increased reliability for a while on the WCML with no extra trains.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Unless the extra trains are considered to be Alliance, I suspect you wont be seeing any as you wont be able to fit them in with HS2 enabling works at Euston.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Hendy delivery plan

p.72 here seems to suggest that the power supply upgrade will need to be completed before the timetable change.

Wow - I treated myself and printed off all 172 pages and read this bit last night and I just did not get the full impact but yes : QUOTE - p 72

The scheme is a critical enabler for the Stafford area improvements
 LNW route 25kV traction switchgear renewal – interface scope agreed  Renewal of 25kV traction sole user assets at Rugby and Stafford - interface scope agreed with Asset Manager.

The following critical assumptions on external factors are being made:
National Grid END QUOTE

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
As far as I could tell today from passing trains, the OHLE for the new line at Norton Bridge is fully in place, apart from the joins at the 3 ends.
Here are some photos of the "joins", 2 weeks before the big change.
One is from the new Yarnfield Jn heading south from the Stone direction, two are from the site of Little Bridgeford Jn (one southbound, one northbound), and the last is a northbound view of where the new Down Slow line joins the existing WCML alignment (no junction).
The crucial middle section, where the new Searchlight Lane Jn is located, is not visible from the current line, but the OHLE is certainly complete over the WCML bridge.
I'm no expert, but the new OHLE doesn't look like either Series 1 or 2.

Attachments

• 1867-yarnfield.jpg
    1867-yarnfield.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 1873-little bridgeford sb.jpg
    1873-little bridgeford sb.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 1879-little bridgeford nb.jpg
    1879-little bridgeford nb.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 1885-wcml tie in nb.jpg
    1885-wcml tie in nb.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 181

gordonthemoron

Established Member
seems to be ballast missing from one track at the south end and the down slow is not connected at the north end although I expect that will be rectified at easter

brick60000

Is the new flyover being controlled from the same workstation at Stoke SCC as previously, or is control moving down into Rugby ROC? (Seem to remember hearing that somewhere)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is the new flyover being controlled from the same workstation at Stoke SCC as previously, or is control moving down into Rugby ROC? (Seem to remember hearing that somewhere)

Control moves to Rugby ROC, extending the Stafford area. Not sure how far beyond Norton Bridge towards Crewe/Stoke though.
I think Colwich still stays with Stoke SCC for now, so Rugby will continue to have a "blind spot" Armitage-Shugborough.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Colwich will get resignalled as part of the HS2 link, so early mid CP6, it will go into Rugby with Stoke SCC at the same time.

thenorthern

Established Member
Has the semi-closed Norton Bridge station platform been removed as part of the construction of the flyover?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well, the new deviation and flyover are up and working today, with a 50mph TSR in place.
The old WCML Down Slow and its crossover to the Down Fast have been severed but are still in place.
However the Fast Lines layout seems untouched, and the problematic diamond towards Stone is still in place.
I guess this has been left till the next blockade.
The spur at the new Yarnfield Jn towards the Up Fast is not finished.
Today's LM Euston service used the new flyover and then had to weave back over the layout at Stafford North to reach P1.
Presumably it will use the spur to the Up Fast eventually.
Don't expect any panoramic views from the new line - it's mostly in a deep cutting.

Mugby

Established Member
BBC Midlands News have done a feature about the opening today stating that the project has been completed on time and under budget.
When asked what the benefits will be, a Network Rail spokesman said: "It means faster trains, more reliable trains and more seats"

More seats??

TheKnightWho

Established Member
BBC Midlands News have done a feature about the opening today stating that the project has been completed on time and under budget.
When asked what the benefits will be, a Network Rail spokesman said: "It means faster trains, more reliable trains and more seats"

More seats??

Presumably more seats between destinations: i.e. more trains.

snowball

Established Member
Pictures of trains over and under on the Northern Programme Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/networkrailnp

Longish press release:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...0m-railway-upgrade-between-stafford-and-crewe

A snippet from it:

The new railway removes one of the last major bottlenecks on the West Coast main line by allowing trains travelling to Manchester from the south and West Midlands to travel over, rather than across, the existing tracks.

This will help create the capacity for more frequent services through the Stafford area as well as speeding up journeys and improving reliability on the West Coast main line, one of the busiest rail routes in Europe.

The scheme is a £250m investment, part of Network Rail’s £40bn Railway Upgrade Plan, which has also seen new modern, more reliable signalling installed and improvements between Stafford and Crewe to allow trains to travel at faster speeds.

Work has taken place over the last four years and has been delivered on budget and 18 months early.

A key part of the upgrade is the new rail-over-rail flyover which means trains to Manchester, via Stoke-on-Trent, will now travel over the existing lines rather than having to slow down and criss-cross the tracks.

The first train over the new flyover, at Norton Bridge, was the 5.11am CrossCountry service from Manchester to Bournemouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.