• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Yankee

Why are people complaining about hosting the Olympics? Besides the Tube being a little more congested, you won't even notice it. London has the opportunity to present itself to the rest of the world. People from all corners of the world will see how majestic and ornate London is. And all of the pounds spent on the Olympics will be offset by tourists who spend money in London.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Why are people complaining about hosting the Olympics? Besides the Tube being a little more congested, you won't even notice it. London has the opportunity to present itself to the rest of the world. People from all corners of the world will see how majestic and ornate London is. And all of the pounds spent on the Olympics will be offset by tourists who spend money in London.

I wouldn't be 100% sure about that. Even if it were true who's pockets will it be going into? London council tax payers or national taxpayers (if appropriate) I think not.

The streets of London aren't paved with gold and whilst there are undoubtedly brilliant gems there is also deprivation and squalor as with all major cities.

My main gripes with hosting the Olympics are
  • We were never asked
  • It's over budget
  • Retarded sponsorship rules. Is it really necessary (if true) to ban pepsi?
  • Wall to Wall media coverage
  • Little competition in major events.

NY Yankee

If it makes you feel any better, the people in New York vehemently rejected the Olympics when they were selecting cities in 2005. They had the same gripes about cost and congestion. And what do you mean "little competition in major events?" Basketball is always interesting. Several NBA players will be playing for the UK in the Olympics. There are several talented players on other European teams. Swimming is another interesting event where anyone can win.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I travel to London to work every week and usually stay there for three nights. The price for the place I normally stay has increased by more than 1000% during the Olympics meaning I'm probably best travelling into work and home every day (a little 7.5 hour commute in total). I am trying to negotiate working more days from home if I can (fingers crossed).

I'm not convinced there will be more tourists than normal. London normally has a lot of tourists. Obviously there will be people coming to see the Olympics but those who don't want to see it are likely to avoid coming in the weeks it's on.

I don't think London's unknown throughout the world to be honest...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My main gripes with hosting the Olympics are
  • Retarded sponsorship rules. Is it really necessary (if true) to ban pepsi?

Don't expect to be able to use Mastercard or Maestro at any Olympic venue.

Or to visit the O2 in Greenwich for 6 weeks - for the Olympic period it's the Greenwich Arena (by law) as it's sponsored by the wrong phone company.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
... And the good citizens of South East London having their local transport system decimated for about four weeks. Don't forget the merchandise too, that we had made in China. And the Godawful tower thing we're having built. And the embarrassing logo. And a stadium that no-one can decide what to do with. And the frankly shocking amount of money being spent on it.

The next person who tells me face-to-face to embrace the Olympics is going to get told to shove it where the sun don't shine, I am sick to bloody death of it.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I wonder if your forefathers felt the same way in 1908 and 1948 - isn't it wonderful that you are able to express your objections in a public forum with no fear of any negative consequences to yourself or your liberty.:idea:

It hardly compares in any way, shape or form with 1908 or 1948; for a start, they were predominantly about sport. Plus you could ignore them if you wanted to, since there was nowhere near Media saturation there is now. The Olympics are nothing at all to do with Sport now. It's all a business. A business that gets huge amounts of public money (Whatever LOCOG may try to argue about being 'entirely a commercial venture', with the diversion of Lottery money into them that's decidedly two-faced), and which appears to have more power than Government itself, it can do whetever it likes and take over whatever it likes. It was quoted in the local paper the other day, for instance, that "LOCOG will take control of the local transport infrastructure or the duration of the Games". All this is a 'price worth paying' for some vague talk of Prestige and the Eyes of the World being Upon us?

If they didn't spend the money on The Olympics it would probably be wasted on something else.

mmm... such as ... new Railway projects, say, that might be useful to people outside a radius of 10 miles from London ... :|
Yes, but I believe people were a lot more welcoming of it in the past. I don't think at this moment in time even half of the population support us having the Olympics, even before the financial meltdown too.

It doesn't help either by having what is frankly a horrific tumour of a logo either, seriously if that's the best someone can do with millions of pounds of funding and equipment then there is something seriously wrong. I welcome the end of August when we can consign it to history.

On the subject of Logos and the remarkable amounts they seem to be able to spend on them, [or perhaps another Health & Safety Gone Mad story']: another amusing story from the local Paper: the Council, at the instigation of LOCOG, paid £5000 for a giant Sandcastle to be constructed for a photo opportunity. Now, 5K is hardly a drop in the ocean in the great scheme of things, of course, (but why on earth does it cost 5K to construct a giant Sandcastle, it's not as if they have to bring the materials in from anywhere), and it might have been something of a Tourist attraction; but then they flattened it straight away 'before it could fall on someone.' :roll: Or perhaps at the instigation of LOCOG who didn't want anyone getting any publicity that didn't mean that the money went straight to LOCOG ... ?

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/96...andcastle_is_knocked_down_immediately/?ref=mr

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
The other things about 1908 and 1948, you could buy tickets at the gate for cash. No websites and silly rules, a substantial block of seating (possibly 90%) was available. They probably had to turn some people away, but I expect that people leaving would hand in their tickets for re-sale.

Though I'll say one thing, we certainly live in a far more cynical age now. :roll:

Schnellzug

Established Member
Though I'll say one thing, we certainly live in a far more cynical age now. :roll:

Do you mean less willing to believe people Above us when they promise us an Incredible Experience? I think that comes of 60 years of Politicians doing that every 4 or 5 years.

SS4

Established Member
Do you mean less willing to believe people Above us when they promise us an Incredible Experience? I think that comes of 60 years of Politicians doing that every 4 or 5 years.

I think it's a consequence of questioning those in authority. Not to mention there were still adults unable to vote

LE Greys

Established Member

Perhaps it's a crisis of rising expectations. The Olympics in 1948 were considerably bigger than a school sports' day, but that was roughly what you expected. People went along and watched it. Now, the vast majority of events are technically a bit more sophisticated, but it's still basically a very big school sports' day. In the modern world, that's hardly the entertainment highlight it used to be. The more people expect, in general, the more they complain.

I hope you see what I'm getting at (not sure I do).

Oswyntail

Established Member
... you could ignore them if you wanted to, since there was nowhere near Media saturation there is now.
I suspect there was, but with fewer media.Little or no television, only one radio broadcaster, probably the same percentage of available space taken up.
The Olympics are nothing at all to do with Sport now. ...
Often said, but not entirely accurate. Talk to the sportsmen in the less high-profile sports and you will see that this is still the high spot, the acme of competition. Just because it is seen as a get-rich-quick scheme by the maggots of society does not mean that is what it is "all about".

I think it's a consequence of questioning those in authority. ...
Itself a direct consequence of WWI and WWII. Is this a good thing? Has it gone too far? Discuss.

LE Greys

Established Member
I suspect there was, but with fewer media. Little or no television, only one radio broadcaster, probably the same percentage of available space taken up.

Often said, but not entirely accurate. Talk to the sportsmen in the less high-profile sports and you will see that this is still the high spot, the acme of competition. Just because it is seen as a get-rich-quick scheme by the maggots of society does not mean that is what it is "all about".

Itself a direct consequence of WWI and WWII. Is this a good thing? Has it gone too far? Discuss.

Agreed with all the above. Personally, I think it has more to do with a combination of the Cold War (meaning a lot of things happening in secret for fifty years) and greater public education (meaning that people are taking the time to think about things instead of just accepting them).

I also reckon that more media outlets has diluted quality, but that's beside the point.

NY Yankee

I think the fact that most common people can't afford to go to the events is a turn off. It's basically a catch-22. They can't afford to attend the events, but they still have to pay for it (indirectly through taxes) and deal with the traffic and congestion.

Butts

Veteran Member
I think the fact that most common people can't afford to go to the events is a turn off. It's basically a catch-22. They can't afford to attend the events, but they still have to pay for it (indirectly through taxes) and deal with the traffic and congestion.

How to you define "common people" ? - are these the same people who can afford to attend Football Matches or Rock Concerts ?

SS4

Established Member
Plus Smoking will be banned in the whole of London solely to annoy Butts <D

Butts

Veteran Member
Plus Smoking will be banned in the whole of London solely to annoy Butts <D

You mean it isn't already.........

Funniest thing in the Bejing Olympics was The Chinese Minister of Health assuring everyone they were going to clamp down on smoking whilst puffing away on his own cigarette :lol:

NY Yankee

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this article.

n order to minimize the disruption experienced by visitors planning to travel to the United Kingdom during the 2012 Olympic Games this summer, Transport for London (TfL) has published a series of guidelines for tourists, according to The Press Association.

Officials at TfL are expecting an additional one million people to travel to the United Kingdom for the Games, on top of the 12 million daily journeys made by residents of the city. The organization has published information on 49 predicted travel hotspots throughout the Big Smoke, as well as suggestions for navigating the city by public transportation at www.getaheadofthegames.com.

"As the competition and events programme moves around we need to manage demand on the transport network, which will be very busy and at certain times and certain places will be much busier than usual," said Peter Hendy, London's transport commissioner, as quoted by the news source.

According to the London Evening Standard, the Underground station at London Bridge will operate on an exit-only basis during certain competitions to reduce overcrowding, the first time such measures have been introduced outside of emergency situations.

The news source reports that Blackheath, Charlton, Greenwich, Stratford and Waterloo are also expected to be exceptionally busy during the Games.

Author : Edward Leeron

http://www.netglobers.com/europe/transport-for-london-issues-travel-plans-for-2012-olympic-games--34085.html

So a few additional people will ride the Tube. It's not the end of the world. And I'm not aware of the vacation habits of Londoners, but I would assume that around the time of the Olympics, most of them would be on vacation anyway.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this article.

n order to minimize the disruption experienced by visitors planning to travel to the United Kingdom during the 2012 Olympic Games this summer, Transport for London (TfL) has published a series of guidelines for tourists, according to The Press Association.

Officials at TfL are expecting an additional one million people to travel to the United Kingdom for the Games, on top of the 12 million daily journeys made by residents of the city. The organization has published information on 49 predicted travel hotspots throughout the Big Smoke, as well as suggestions for navigating the city by public transportation at www.getaheadofthegames.com.

"As the competition and events programme moves around we need to manage demand on the transport network, which will be very busy and at certain times and certain places will be much busier than usual," said Peter Hendy, London's transport commissioner, as quoted by the news source.

According to the London Evening Standard, the Underground station at London Bridge will operate on an exit-only basis during certain competitions to reduce overcrowding, the first time such measures have been introduced outside of emergency situations.

It may be the first time at London Bridge but it happens at Camden Town and
Covent Garden every weekend.

And Monument and Borough tube stations aren't far from London Bridge.

So a few additional people will ride the Tube. It's not the end of the world. And I'm not aware of the vacation habits of Londoners, but I would assume that around the time of the Olympics, most of them would be on vacation anyway.

Estimates (not that I'm sure I believe them) are up to an additional 3 million journeys a day. And unfortunately most of us can't take 6 weeks of holiday over the summer.

It's certainly a big campaign - I've seen a poster 200 miles from London - most odd seeing a Roundel and LONDON Mayor logo in Keighley.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Doesnt say, only they are on the housing waiting list and the council cant afford to put them in rented accomadation until social housing becomes available.

SS4

Established Member
I take it none of them are working ?

2/3 not working according to DWP figures (albeit nationally) from January 2012. Not working in this case means in reciept of JSA(IB), ESA(IR) or Pension Credit (Guaranteed Income).

if we extrapolate this figure to the 500 claimants then we can guess that roughly 166 are in work. In January 2012 roughly one third was private rental (ie; half of social housing), I cannot say for sure but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess (I stress the word guess since I have no evidence) that there'd be more private housing in the London area and that rents would be more expensive

We are not given a breakdown by benefit so it's impossible to tell who is too old to work (pension credit), who is too sick to work at all (ESA support group), who could do some work with help (ESA work group) and lastly those actively seeking work (JSA)

We are told that 2.55 million people were claiming ESA/IB in January 2012 and 4.98 million claiming housing benefit. Of course we cannot say that all those ESA claimants are claiming HB.

My apologies if this post went off topic a bit but I wanted to debunk the seemingly popular myth that everyone who claims housing benefit is on JSA which in turn gives the myth of being lazy and ****less

edit: I've tried to keep this post politically neutral and hopefully I've made it clear what is my opinion.

Employers aren't known for being particularly flexible, what's likely to happen is that the boss and senior management will be away while the dogsbody will be coming in as normal. Holiday may even be suspended/reduced in places because they want to be open longer to take advantage of the money spent in London. It follows that to get tourist money you need you need to be open at times when the Olympics are not on.

Additional people will ride the Tube, I don't think many people are worried about that especially they stay off peak. What could be problematic is if the two coalesce. Then we get the effect on buses with the special Olympic lanes which IMO reeks of elitism and a "we're better than you attitude"

I wonder what they will do about peak/off-peak times on the Tube during the Olympics? It's going to look silly if someone pays a lot more at 9:20 then 9:30 and would a tourist be expected to know this?

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I wonder what they will do about peak/off-peak times on the Tube during the Olympics? It's going to look silly if someone pays a lot more at 9:20 then 9:30 and would a tourist be expected to know this?

Those going to an event will have a games travelcard anyway.

Those not will have all the information usually available to tourists - London gets millions a year anyway. I'd say anyone who has done *any* research into travelling in London before arriving should know about peak times - it's not like they're as complicated as on the national network.

I can't see peak/off-peak times and prices changing (although there is an extra "peak service" to be operated on the tube at about the time events end on the tube but charged at normal prices. Services near Olympic venues are getting higher frequencies - some just late and overnight)

Butts

Veteran Member
2/3 not working according to DWP figures (albeit nationally) from January 2012. Not working in this case means in reciept of JSA(IB), ESA(IR) or Pension Credit (Guaranteed Income).

if we extrapolate this figure to the 500 claimants then we can guess that roughly 166 are in work. In January 2012 roughly one third was private rental (ie; half of social housing), I cannot say for sure but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess (I stress the word guess since I have no evidence) that there'd be more private housing in the London area and that rents would be more expensive

We are not given a breakdown by benefit so it's impossible to tell who is too old to work (pension credit), who is too sick to work at all (ESA support group), who could do some work with help (ESA work group) and lastly those actively seeking work (JSA)

We are told that 2.55 million people were claiming ESA/IB in January 2012 and 4.98 million claiming housing benefit. Of course we cannot say that all those ESA claimants are claiming HB.

My apologies if this post went off topic a bit but I wanted to debunk the seemingly popular myth that everyone who claims housing benefit is on JSA which in turn gives the myth of being lazy and ****less

All I was intimating was that it would be diffilcult to commute from Stoke to London - this was the reason for my comment.:p

SS4

Established Member

All I was intimating was that it would be diffilcult to commute from Stoke to London - this was the reason for my comment.:p

:oops: talk about a sledgehammer to crack a nut :lol:

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I've met someone who does.

And I know at least 4 people who commute from Yorkshire to London (I'm one of them).

Not the cheapest commute in the world - so probably not good for those in receipt of housing benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.