The Rail Authority

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by mikeg, 22 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeg

mikeg Member

Who are The Rail Authority? Is it just another name for Network Rail?

I say this as I've always wondered who they are, some older bridge signs say to report to Railtrack in case of a bridge-bash (which might just be a tad problematic...), but the newer ones mention The Rail Authority, usually with a York number 'round these parts (ECM5).

I can't find a website for this organisation, is there a separate authority that maintains bridges? I thought many were Network Rail's brief?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. headshot119

headshot119 Established Member

It's costing a lot of money to replace the bridge signs across the rail network to remove the Railtrack name from them.

If Network Rail ever changed there name you'd have the same problem all over again. Hence they've gone for the neutral Rail Authority.

4. mikeg

mikeg Member

Ah I see, so the rail authority refers to no one authority, rather the authority that happens to be in charge of rail...

Would be useful if NR were to undergo a major reorganisation (such as vertical integration on some routes, or a regional breakup) I suppose. I suppose it must cost a lot given that they still haven't replaced some of the Railtrack ones, wonder how long it took for Railtrack to replace the British Rail signs.

5. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I don't know of any specific survivors, but I'd be very surprised if they were all replaced in the eight years of Railtrack's existence. In fact, I suspect there are probably still a few around today.

6. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

On the opposite side of the railway embankment where I live, there is still a cast iron sign erected by the London & North Western Railway warning against trespass on the railway, with the threat of a 40 Shillings fine or imprisonment :)

7. 3141

3141 Established Member

There's another potential problem to do with telephone numbers. At some future time the rail authority might want to change the number you report on. Or the national numbering system might change. It couldn't remain possible for ever for a call to a number valid in 2015 to be automatically put through to an entirely different sort of number ten years later. Therefore replacement signs may still become necessary.

8. Philip Phlopp

Philip Phlopp Established Member

BT will make allowances for specific phone numbers, if there's a good reason not to change them with a new numbering scheme.

9. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

The solution to that round my way was to just stick a vinyl over the top with the new number on. If memory serves, they changed from a number on Kings Cross exchange (020 7278) to a York one.

10. cool110

cool110 Member

Same thing that the Canal and River Trust did to all the British Waterways signs.

11. Doctor Fegg

Doctor Fegg Member

And that BW did to its own signs many, many times... every time there was a reorganisation (very frequent under the last Chief Exec), and a waterway was moved from one office to another, up went another sticker. CRT have gone for a single national number, which should put an end to it.

12. TheNewNo2

TheNewNo2 Member

That wouldn't last long, surely?

13. snowball

snowball Established Member

It only has to survive until the next restructuring of the organisation.

14. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

They can last surprisingly long - vinyl is pretty stable as long as it's out of direct sunshine (which bridge signs will likely be).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.