• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The station proximity poll.

How far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamPower

0.5 miles however there's only a handful of trains that stop there in the morning and a handful in the evening, with none in-between which is a shame seeing as at least 4 passenger trains an hour pass through the station in either direction

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Being a north London boy, I'm spoiled for choice. And I particularly like the new and improved London Overground services. Particularly at my local Crouch Hill station.

Keele13

Pretty much exactly 2 miles from Stoke-on-Trent station...though given the close proximity of a rather good pub, the journey home may take several hours!

4SRKT

Established Member
What happens if you can walk a mile in 10 minutes? Which category would you choose then? ;)

THREE THOUSANDTH POST LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

chris89

Established Member
For NR stations.

Kidderminster: 7.69 miles, about a 40 min bus journey <(
Stourbridge Junction: 10.63 miles: But no point going to that since kiddy is local
Wolverhampton: 14.56 miles, about 1hr 10ish by buses to get their, use a lot to go on Scottish services to Edinburgh.

Also adding preserved stations.

Country Park Halt 10min walk
Highley Station 15min walk/ less

Both on the Severn Valley Railway.

On the poll selected 'Between 5 miles and 15 miles'

Chris

Minilad

Established Member
I am around an 8-9 min walk from Warwick. Haven't tried walking to Warwick Parkway but would imagine it would be around 25-30 mins walk

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
1.2 miles (as the crow files) or 3 miles by car from Droitwich Spa, or a 45 min walk.

Last edited:

Established Member
1.8 miles from Cambridge station, I can do the walk in 30-35 minutes as long as I don't hang about. I prefer to get a bus but as I normally leave early and come back late, they're very infrequent when I would use them.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm about 2 miles away from University station, about a 25 minute walk. If the Camp Hill line still had local passenger trains, then Moseley would be closest for me, and considerably more useful.

This is the first year of my twenty one year existance so far where I haven't lived within 50-100 yards of an active railway line.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Must be nice... :(
Not really a realistic option for commuting, or travelling with any sort of purpose, on grounds of frequency, journey time or cost though. ;) Damn nice part of the world to live in nonetheless though I'm sure.

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
About half a mile (or a brisk 10 minute walk) from door to Bache station. It's another mile or so to Chester station.

Established Member
Home is about 12 minutes (brisk) walk from the station, say 15 if I don't rush. Work is about 4 minutes (uphill) from the station but only 2 minutes downhill when going home :lol:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Well about 2 minutes form burley park while at university and 15 minutes (brisk walk) from chapeltown back home in sheffield. So not bad, can hear trains at both houses most of time. Get woken up by morning Harrogate HST some days.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Nearest station is Finstock, maybe 4 miles away, but as it only has one train each way M-F, and no weekend service its not of much use!

Sceptre

At uni, I'm slap bang in the middle of Leeds City and Burley Park, about fifteen (ten at a push) minutes away. With my parents, I'm about a 15 minute walk from Brighouse.

GarethW

I live in an old railwaymans cottage, so its 80 yards as the crow flies to the station entrance and right beside the line.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
At uni, I'm slap bang in the middle of Leeds City and Burley Park, about fifteen (ten at a push) minutes away. With my parents, I'm about a 15 minute walk from Brighouse.
15 minutes from either or just one of them. as to walk between two it took me nearly 45 mins

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
The railway line is just outside the far end of this building, but there's a bit of a wander through Poole in order to get to the station...

At my old home though it was a bit of a weird one... The most accessible and usable station is about 20 miles away, ironically also Tiverton Parkway, but I actually lived nearer the Barnstaple - Exeter line and King's Nympton station is the closest (I guess that makes Barnstaple more accessible, but Tivvy is a bit more convenient with regards to services).

jamesr

On the Isle of Man, only a few minutes walk from the Steam Railway, but a bloody long way from NR. The nearest station I can access is Heysham - about 40-50 miles (that's a guess)... somewhere on the Cumbrian Coast is probably closest.

Status
Not open for further replies.