• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Train Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSE

Established Member
Well you are, because you're paying the booking fee, as well as any other fees (if appropriate) theTrainline doesn't save you any money. The railways do, by offering for sale tickets which are cheap by offering a reward for booking in advance. You don't have to use theTrainline to book in advance. Why not use any of the 19 other websites? What's so good about the one you can find at www.thetrainline.com above www.fgw.co.uk or www.eastcoast.co.uk?

You seem to be missing my point, I did clarify I have no interest in ticketing. My knowledge of ticketing stretches as far as, you buy ticket and then you use ticket. I know you can find them cheap on various websites, but like I also stated, most of my travels are in London, therefore covered on Oyster and Travelcard. I'm not supporting TheTrainline or arguing against it. I was simply saying actually regardless of views, it worked for me and I have had a good experience of it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not supporting TheTrainline or arguing against it. I was simply saying actually regardless of views, it worked for me and I have had a good experience of it.
I fully understand what you're saying. Sorry, but I'm just trying to get into the head of a theTrainline user; I simply don't understand why people use them. Is it:
  • they think it's the only website which sells tickets, or
  • they genuinely think it's cheaper than buying elsewhere
Because I genuinely can't see how you had a "good experience" by paying more than someone else did, for the same ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was simply saying actually regardless of views, it worked for me and I have had a good experience of it.
Any site would "work"!

As for having a good experience, I take it you've not had to call their helpdesk then? Their lack of customer service skills is well known.

NSE

Established Member
Yeah, but I only paid £1 more. For me, don't care about one additional pound. If I did care for saving that pound then yes, I'd use those sites. In answer to your arguement, you're an enthusiast, you know about these train operating companies. I know for a fact my parents couldn't name any, therefore if they were going to buy a ticket the Trainline adverts on Tv and so that's the first thing that springs to mind. Also, if you wanted to go to Cornwall, I doubt Joe public would try to use East Coast as they would assume seeing as they don't go south of London, they wouldn't run fares there.

radamfi

Established Member
Yeah, but I only paid £1 more. For me, don't care about one additional pound. If I did care for saving that pound then yes, I'd use those sites. In answer to your arguement, you're an enthusiast, you know about these train operating companies. I know for a fact my parents couldn't name any, therefore if they were going to buy a ticket the Trainline adverts on Tv and so that's the first thing that springs to mind. Also, if you wanted to go to Cornwall, I doubt Joe public would try to use East Coast as they would assume seeing as they don't go south of London, they wouldn't run fares there.

Are you going to use the Trainline in future, now that you know that there are other sites available that are just as easy to use?

I suppose you have to go through the hassle of registering again if you use another site, and I doubt that isn't worth a pound.

pendolino

EMT have one, VT have one and LM do now I think

yes, but I said 'best' as I've found the one on thetrainline.com to be easiest to use and allows the widest range of dates etc. (sorry, probably didn't explain what I meant very well).

NSE

Established Member
Are you going to use the Trainline in future, now that you know that there are other sites available that are just as easy to use?

I suppose you have to go through the hassle of registering again if you use another site, and I doubt that isn't worth a pound.

Oh no, now I know of other sites I'll pick and choose. It was the first time I'd used it, as for registering if its a site worth using then I'm sure I'll use it again :)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Bit of a strange comment really. So we don't use thetrainline because we are enthusiasts? Don't really see where you're coming from there! Most of my friends (non-enthusiasts from a wide range of different places) know that there are a large number of different operating companies, and even if you don't it doesn't take too long to find that out (National Rail, a Google search even?). If you make a reasonable number of journeys, those pounds will certainly add up, so why you would purposely use thetrainline despite knowing that the same tickets can be obtained cheaper on other virtually identical websites is beyond me. And it's not just 'enthusiasts' - the public are getting wise to the savings that can be had elsewhere. For example, moneysavingexpert makes it very clear that East Coast charge no fees whilst thetrainline do!

NSE

Established Member
Bit of a strange comment really. So we don't use thetrainline because we are enthusiasts? Don't really see where you're coming from there! Most of my friends (non-enthusiasts from a wide range of different places) know that there are a large number of different operating companies, and even if you don't it doesn't take too long to find that out (National Rail, a Google search even?). If you make a reasonable number of journeys, those pounds will certainly add up, so why you would purposely use thetrainline despite knowing that the same tickets can be obtained cheaper on other virtually identical websites is beyond me. And it's not just 'enthusiasts' - the public are getting wise to the savings that can be had elsewhere. For example, moneysavingexpert makes it very clear that East Coast charge no fees whilst thetrainline do!

Not saying just because your enthusiasts, but you will be more aware of ways to get cheap train fares. I can bet that none of my friends would have the first clue where to go to buy train tickets. Quick google search brings up TrainLine first. So I guess thats why its popular. You say those pounds add up, but again if you saving say like I did £203 pounds, well that booking fare is only taking £1 out of what you've saved. If that £1 is such a big problem for everyone then yeah go to those other sites. Again, I will clarify, I didn't care where my ticket came from. I simply wanted it cheap, I got that and therefore does it really bother you that I used The Trainline?

Anyway if your that bothered about money get the coach.

Pumbaa

Established Member
The only thing thetrainline.com has going for it is that it seems to have the best 'cheapest fare finder' tool on their website (unless anyone knows of a better one?)

East Coast, Southern, LM, Southeastern, East Midlands, Virgin...! I think TP have one coming soon if its not already available.

MCR247

Established Member
Not saying just because your enthusiasts, but you will be more aware of ways to get cheap train fares. I can bet that none of my friends would have the first clue where to go to buy train tickets. Quick google search brings up TrainLine first. So I guess thats why its popular. You say those pounds add up, but again if you saving say like I did £203 pounds, well that booking fare is only taking £1 out of what you've saved. If that £1 is such a big problem for everyone then yeah go to those other sites. Again, I will clarify, I didn't care where my ticket came from. I simply wanted it cheap, I got that and therefore does it really bother you that I used The Trainline?

You didn't say anything. If really want to you saved £-1. You could have got that ticket for the same price ANYWHERE, but not paid the booking fee. Therefore you saving nothing. Simples?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

:lol: Are you kidding, I'm not that desperate! Joking aside, National Express can often work out more expensive than buying advance train tickets. But I would certainly make an effort to get something for the best possible price, rather than chuck cash away. I'm fairly sure most people would have this mentality!

NSE

Established Member
:lol: Are you kidding, I'm not that desperate! Joking aside, National Express can often work out more expensive than buying advance train tickets. But I would certainly make an effort to get something for the best possible price, rather than chuck cash away. I'm fairly sure most people would have this mentality!

Haha, well I wouldn't actually know coach prices. I'd stick with the train any day :) Oh i'm not disputing making an effort for a cheaper price. I just offered my opinion that I thought the trainline worked for me, and I will stand by that. I find it astounding however people are really that bothered about it, TheTrainline does save you money. Just other places can save more. I think that sums it up tbh :L

andyfrommk

yes, but I said 'best' as I've found the one on thetrainline.com to be easiest to use and allows the widest range of dates etc.

I prefer London Midlands Best Fare Finder that has a matrix of prices with outbound times on the side and return times on the bottom.

But if you find thetrainline's BFF is better then why not note the times then go to the TOC website to book that train and save yourself a quid.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How does it save you money?

This is getting tiresome. It saves you money compared with buying tickets at the time of travel. That is an undisputed fact. Even NSE agrees that it doesn't save you money over other places selling the same advance ticket. He's even admitted that now he knows this he'll try one of the TOC's sites next time he needs tickets. I think the message has got through.

NSE

Established Member
This is getting tiresome. It saves you money compared with buying tickets at the time of travel. That is an undisputed fact. Even NSE agrees that it doesn't save you money over other places selling the same advance ticket. He's even admitted that now he knows this he'll try one of the TOC's sites next time he needs tickets. I think the message has got through.

Tiresome maybe, but this has entertained me while Arsenal refuse to score. But yeah that in a nutshell was the point I'm only trying to make :L

pendolino

I prefer London Midlands Best Fare Finder that has a matrix of prices with outbound times on the side and return times on the bottom.

But if you find thetrainline's BFF is better then why not note the times then go to the TOC website to book that train and save yourself a quid.

thetrainline's BFF is similar to LM's and (every other TOC's website) with a similar matrix (edit: well, it has two matrices, one for out, one for return, with morning/afternoon/evening along the left hand side and dates along the top, so not entirely the same thing) but I've found it's the easiest site to amend dates and search for cheaper fares - the date range can be moved 3 days either way with one click rather than going back and re-inputting dates, which, unless it's changed recently, is how a lot of the other TOC sites work. Which is why I prefer it really.

But yes, you're absolutely right - I go back to the TOC site armed with the dates/times suggested by thetrainline and book via the TOC rather than paying thetrainline a pound.

Established Member
TheTrainline does save you money.

The point is that it doesn't save you money on the ticket you would buy on the day from the station.
What it does is sell you a different ticket that's much cheaper, then add their fees onto that price.

So, no it doesn't save you any money.

bnm

Established Member
For example, moneysavingexpert makes it very clear that East Coast charge no fees whilst thetrainline do!

In the interests of balance, I should point out that East Coast will charge you £1 if you chose delivery by post for your tickets when there is the option to collect them from your departure station prior to travel. This fee is, however, waived if your departure station has no TVM.

CrossCountry will charge you £1 if you wish to collect tickets from a TVM for journeys wholly on their network, instead of using the mobitix or print@home option.

And yes, thetrainline.com do charge £3.50 for credit card transactions. They also charge £7.50 for next day delivery. East Coast and most other TOCs charge £6.00 for next day delivery. The actual cost is £5.05 according to the Royal Mail.

moonrakerz

To be blunt, what the Trainline is doing is exactly the same as the vast majority of advertising does - it doesn't tell lies, but it certainly doesn't tell the whole truth !

Next time you are in Morrisons wander down to the fish fingers. Birds Eye have a large "flash" label saying:- "made with 100% fish fillet". However, if you read the small print on the back of the box you will see that the Birds Eye fish fingers actually contain a lower percentage of fish than Morrison's own label fingers. How many people are tricked into buying Birds Eye because they think there is much more fish in them compared to Morrison's "cheap and nasty" ones ?

What the Trainline are doing is really no different - but I really don't understand why people defend this company when it is pointed out that they have spent more than they needed to - perhaps it's human nature not to admit that you are wrong. Just as your car/TV/camera/PC is the best one available on the market (even though deep-down you really know it isn't!)

jon0844

Veteran Member
What it does is sell you a different ticket that's much cheaper, then add their fees onto that price.

So, no it doesn't save you any money.

And that's basically it; you save money because it shows cheaper tickets that might not be offered a train station (and wouldn't if you just turned up on the day of travel, but of course neither would Trainline by then - even if you ordered on your iPhone/laptop to collect from the machine next to you).

If people are happy with the way it finds those alternative tickets over other sites, who am I to say that nobody should use it. If you think that they've made your buying experience far less painful than other sites and think the £1 is just reward, please do continue to use the site. It's a free country and it's a business that has chosen to trade in the way it does; clearly people do like the site.

But, always remember that they charge what everyone else does and then add at least a pound at the end!!

taxidave

I have just bought advance tickets from the Trainline for a journey to Manchester in March and they were cheaper on there than either XCountry or FGW websites and there is no booking fee if you collect from the station unlike XC.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have just bought advance tickets from the Trainline for a journey to Manchester in March and they were cheaper on there than either XCountry or FGW websites and there is no booking fee if you collect from the station unlike XC.
Are you sure it was theTrainline? Because they add a £1 booking fee to all transactions, and the fares all come from a single database; theTrainline have no commercial flexibility as to what price they sell tickets for.

wintonian

Established Member
If people are happy with the way it finds those alternative tickets over other sites, who am I to say that nobody should use it. If you think that they've made your buying experience far less painful than other sites and think the £1 is just reward, please do continue to use the site. It's a free country and it's a business that has chosen to trade in the way it does; clearly people do like the site.

But, always remember that they charge what everyone else does and then add at least a pound at the end!!

For example I prefer Virgin to XC and I would consider paying an extra £1 to be worth it as I prefer the service offered by Virgin.

If people like the service offered by TTL and they consider it worth an extra £1 then surely everyone is happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.