• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Transport Game (UK)

backontrack

Established Member
Looks like we may need an adjudication here, let me see if I can find someone.
We should carry on, because three moves have elapsed. I think that is the unwritten rule (we've used it plenty of times before, and recently too I think), and we've no official adjudicators on here anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanTrain

Here, we walk up to Swimming pool where we board the 15:41 Stagecoach North Scotland bus X1 (assuming school is on this particualar Friday) to St Margarets Hope, at Ferry Terminal, arriving at 16:50 Friday afternoon.

There's more ferry terminals here than I realised, I though this one was at Kirkwall!

backontrack

Established Member
We then board the 17:01 Stagecoach Orkney route X1 bus service to Kirkwall (Travel Centre Stand 2), arriving there at 17:31 on Friday evening.

DanTrain

Here, we board the 18:46 Stagecoach North Scotland service to Kirkwall, at Hatston Bus Garage, arriving at 18:55 Friday evening.

Thanks @backontrack, it certaintly takes time to formulate a move up here!

backontrack

Established Member
You're welcome :)

We then walk to the bus shelter by the Grainbank Road End on the Hatston Brae and board the 17:40 Stagecoach Orkney route 7 bus service to Birsay (Earl's Palace, by Palace Stores), arriving there at 18:13 on Friday evening.

Last edited:

DanTrain

It looks like that's the last service, so taking an extended overnight break, we then board the 07:05 Stagecoach Orkney service 7 to Kirkwall Travel Centre (Stand 4), arriving at 07:45 Saturday morning.

backontrack

Established Member
We have some breakfast before boarding the 09:45 Orkney Ferries service on the MV Shapinsay to Shapinsay Ferry Terminal, Balfour, where we arrive at 10:10 on Saturday morning.

DanTrain

Not a lot going on here, so we chose to board the 13:30 Orkney Ferries service back to Kirkwall Ferry Terminal, arriving at 14:15 Saturday afternoon.

backontrack

Established Member
After spending a couple of hours in Kirkwall, we board the 16:20 Orkney Ferries service to Westray, Rapness Ferry Terminal, arriving there at 17:45 on Saturday evening.

We may as well visit some more islands while we're in Orkney! Fun fact: Westray actually has its own bus service, which connects the ferries at Rapness with the passenger-only ferry service to neighbouring Papa Westray at Pierowall. https://www.westraybusservice.com/timetable.html

DanTrain

Well I know where we're going next then!

We board the 17:50 Westray Bus Service to Pierowall, arriving at 18:02 Saturday evening, for what I suspect will be another early night!

backontrack

Established Member
From Gill Pier, on the north side of Pierowall Bay, and board the 18:15 Orkney Ferries service on the MV Golden Mariana to Papa Westray, 'New Pier', arriving there at 18:40 on Saturday evening.

Last edited:

DanTrain

We then walk to Gill Pier on the north side of Pierowall Bay, and board the 18:15 Orkney Ferries service on the MV Golden Mariana to Papa Westray, 'New Pier', arriving there at 18:40 on Saturday evening.
Is that do-able - it's a mile long walk, which will take 20 mins, never mind connection time?

backontrack

Established Member
Is that do-able - it's a mile long walk, which will take 20 mins, never mind connection time?
Which is also too far - remember the 0.5 mile limit!
Well, technically speaking, Gill Pier is the Pierowall stop shown in the timetable, and the bus is timetabled to arrive there at 18:02. I just added the 'walk' in to show that we were using the pier.

(I have used this service before.)

Last edited:

DanTrain

Well, technically speaking, Gill Pier is the Pierowall stop shown in the timetable, and the bus is timetabled to arrive there at 18:02. I just added the 'walk' in to show that we were using the pier.

(I have used this service before.)
Oh I see, I think that makes sense.

We go for a quick turnaround and board the 18:45 Orkney Ferrie service to Pierowall (Gill Pier), arriving at 19:10 Saturday evening.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Unlike in previous versions of this game, we do not have any one appointed person(s) who have a role to police the rules of the game, instead we leave this down to community judgement.

It comes down to the community to point out any rule breaches, however this shouldn't hold up game play and it may not be necessary to return to the previous post, especially where there has been more than five moves (or 24 hours has elapsed) since the posting in question.

Noting that earlier today on this thread, mention was made of the number of postings that had elapsed since the raising of a query. Three was the number of such postings that was "tentatively" mentioned.

I show above an extract of a posting made by a forum quizmaster in the second posting of this relaunched thread that talks of both the actual number of postings and the time period covered by the said postings.

backontrack

Established Member
Noting that earlier today on this thread, mention was made of the number of postings that had elapsed since the raising of a query. Three was the number of such postings that was "tentatively" mentioned.

I show above an extract of a posting made by a forum quizmaster in the second posting of this relaunched thread that talks of both the actual number of postings and the time period covered by the said postings.
Thanks for this Paul - it's helpful. Five it is then.

backontrack

Established Member
We sleep, get up, waste a few hours, then get the 1115 Orkney Ferries service to Papa Westray, 'New Pier', arriving at 1140 Sunday morning
There isn't a way to get out of Pierowall until 17:00, so I'm going to suggest that, instead of heading backwards and forwards on the Mariana, we wait until later today to cross back to Westray? There is a bus from Gill Pier to Rapness, departing at 17:27 and arriving at 17:45, that we can make later on. If this is all right with everyone, then...

After spending the day on the isle, we board the 17:00 Orkney Ferries service on the MV Golden Mariana to Westray, Pierowall (Gill Pier), arriving there at 17:25 on Sunday evening.

The bus isn't a full five minutes after the ferry's arrival, but it is designed to connect with the ferry anyway.

backontrack

Established Member
Next, we walk to the Travel Centre, Stand 2, and board the 20:30 Stagecoach Orkney route X1 bus service to Brig o' Waithe, arriving there at 20:55 on Sunday evening.

This is actually where the first British victim of WWII to die in Britain was killed, sadly enough. Nowadays, however, it's a much more cheerful locale, marked out as the point where the road bridges the Loch of Stenness, a sea loch.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Not much we can do here, other than to return on the 2110 Stagecoach North Scotland service X1 to Hatston (Ferry Terminal), arriving there at 2126 on Sunday evening.

backontrack

Established Member
Not much we can do here, other than to return on the 2110 Stagecoach North Scotland service X1 to Hatston (Ferry Terminal), arriving there at 2126 on Sunday evening.
We check in at Hatston Ferry Terminal at just after 21:45, having taken a few more photos of Orkney. Then, we put our suitcases on the luggage trolley, ready to be stowed away in the hold of the ferry. After we've check-in, we sit and read a paper upstairs in the waiting room, furnished with provisions from one of the vending machines. Eventually, the MV Hjaltland glides into view. Eventually, they let us wander down the gangway with our backpacks, and we board the vessel and make our way towards the cabins we booked. Soon, we are comfortable and warm, and sipping from our flasks, as the Hjaltland leaves the ferry pier exactly as scheduled at 23:45. Some time later, we turn off the lights, and the motion of the boat on the North Sea waves rocks us gently to sleep.

In the morning, we head upstairs to the restaurant and treat ourselves to a slap-up breakfast. We arrive at our destination at 07:00, on Monday morning: Holmsgarth Ferry Terminal, Lerwick. That's right. We're in Shetland. :D:D:D:D

Last edited:

A Challenge

Established Member
We then get the 07:45 John Leask & Son service 23 to Lerwick (Viking Bus Station), arriving at 07:47 Monday morning.

backontrack

Established Member
We then board the 08:02 John Leask & Son route 6 bus service to Levenwick (Midway Stores), passing through the delightfully-named villages of Gulberwick and Quarff to arrive at our Levenwick stop at 09:01 on Monday morning.

Last edited: