• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'The Tube' (TV program)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvboy

Established Member
My belief is that: Program = American, and Programme = Queen's English

Both

Program is the American way of spelling the word in all instances. In British English program is used to relate to computers, and programme for other uses. It's the same with catalog/catalogue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
On the whole it's a very depressing and sadly realistic programme.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I suspect it's where you see signs saying Northern line Southbound it can confuse some people. If you're not used to the tube (especially if you come from a place where lines are numbered, not named and/or your English isn't perfect), it can seem a bit of a contradiction.

Is it really that hard to work that one out? I don't know how TfL could make it any easier! Perhaps installing some digital, interactive "journey planner" displays?

VTPreston_Tez

Pretty gruesome with the stabbing, some of the reactions were great though!
And also "you've just missed the last train" "oh, ****" in a calm voice was genius!
Edit: And the Morden Scenes, I laughed.

transmanche

Established Member
If you're not used to the tube (especially if you come from a place where lines are numbered, not named and/or your English isn't perfect), it can seem a bit of a contradiction.

Is it really that hard to work that one out?
Not for you and not for me.

But if you're used to seeing lines indicated as "Ligne 1, direction La Défense" or "N train, Uptown & Queens", then I can understand how seeing "Northern line Southbound" could be confusing.

I don't know how TfL could make it any easier!
I don't think they need to. I was merely explaining how the confusion may have come about - not seeking change.

Attachments

• intlot009.jpg
    intlot009.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 36

jon0844

Veteran Member
The confused gentleman was of course looking at a journey planner (or map) and not anywhere near the signs saying 'Northbound/Southbound platform'.

Even if the signs may not make it 100% clear, once you get nearer you have the top/down map that shows your station and the rest of the stations it will call at. That really couldn't be any easier. As long as you know the station you want, you can quite clearly see if it's there.

transmanche

Established Member
The confused gentleman was of course looking at a journey planner (or map) and not anywhere near the signs saying 'Northbound/Southbound platform'.
So? He was filmed in the ticket hall next to a map. But he was describing what he found confusing about the Northern line - not what he found confusing about the map.

"The only one I find confusing is the northern one. The Northern line? You're on the Northern line going north or south... and I get confused. North, north? North, south?"​

Jeez, I was only trying to provide a plausible explanation for the source of possible confusion. I'm bemused why you seem so reluctant to accept that things which may be familiar to you may actually be rather confusing to other people

jon0844

Veteran Member
Calm down mate! I am not failing to accept something, but just pointed out how he was not by the signs showing northbound/southbound platform.

If he was confused by 'Northern Line - Northbound platform' and 'Northern Line - Southbound platform' then so be it, but I really can't see how anyone would, however your lines are named/numbered. It's really clear, irrespective of what you're used to - and English is presumably his main language, so even that isn't a plausible excuse.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I dont quite understand how tourists could get lost. I was Ok on my 1st time on the Paris metro, NYC subway and DC metro.

I feel sorry for the Capitol Programme Director, imagine annoying thousands of commuters every week!

I think it is true we londoners dont know how lucky we are. I've lived outside of London and had to resort to taxis to get from home to work as there are no buses.

I have to admit I have tunnel vision when travelling! Was the lady who was stabbed OK?

Do TFL staff get free or reduced travel on natioanl rail trains?

Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
In my village, there is a bus every two hours into Andover. The buses into town start at 0735 and end at 1535. The buses from town start at 0715, with another at 0825, then they're every two hours until 1425, with one last bus 3.5 hours later at 1755. On Saturday, there are just four buses each way (0945 every two hours to 1545 on the way in; 0825 to 1425 every two hours on the way out), and no Sunday service at all. A nearby village recently had all its services cut to shave just a few minutes off the bus's journey times, having only one special bus each way on a Wednesday for those who have no other way into town. Those Londoners really don't know how lucky they are ;)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
My favourite part ofthe episode was where the guy was waking all the dozey-heads up at Moredon. :smile:

Muzer

Established Member
My favourite part ofthe episode was where the guy was waking all the dozey-heads up at Moredon. :smile:

Oh, yes, I loved that guy the people were interviewing... "You're at Morden." "I'm at Morden? No, I've got change at such and such a place and get the Northern line towards Morden." "I think you're actually at Morden now." "I'm at Morden?" Etc. :p

EM2

Established Member
In my village, there is a bus every two hours into Andover. The buses into town start at 0735 and end at 1535. The buses from town start at 0715, with another at 0825, then they're every two hours until 1425, with one last bus 3.5 hours later at 1755. On Saturday, there are just four buses each way (0945 every two hours to 1545 on the way in; 0825 to 1425 every two hours on the way out), and no Sunday service at all. A nearby village recently had all its services cut to shave just a few minutes off the bus's journey times, having only one special bus each way on a Wednesday for those who have no other way into town. Those Londoners really don't know how lucky they are ;)

Try living in rural Ireland. Most villages have no buses or trains at all, unless they happen to be on one of the National roads (equivalent to an A road). And even then, it can be very infrequent. The village of Ballygar, which is on the main road between Roscommon and Galway, has one bus each way A DAY during the week and none at the weekend.
And even though Roscommon has a station, the bus doesn't connect with any of the five trains in each direction that call during the day.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Oh, yes, I loved that guy the people were interviewing... "You're at Morden." "I'm at Morden? No, I've got change at such and such a place and get the Northern line towards Morden." "I think you're actually at Morden now." "I'm at Morden?" Etc. :p

I think he wanted to get off at Kennington and thought he was on a terminating service and wasn't expecting it to go through to Morden? I seem to recall he had to get a night bus back to somewhere as the last northbound had gone?

exile

Established Member
On the whole it's a very depressing and sadly realistic programme.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Is it really that hard to work that one out? I don't know how TfL could make it any easier! Perhaps installing some digital, interactive "journey planner" displays?

The problem is the name of the line - "Northern" when it includes the Southernmost part of the network.

I suppose a rational system of numbered lines is a little unlikely to be adopted.....

Muzer

Established Member
Try living in rural Ireland. Most villages have no buses or trains at all, unless they happen to be on one of the National roads (equivalent to an A road). And even then, it can be very infrequent. The village of Ballygar, which is on the main road between Roscommon and Galway, has one bus each way A DAY during the week and none at the weekend.
And even though Roscommon has a station, the bus doesn't connect with any of the five trains in each direction that call during the day.

Ouch! And I thought no afternoon buses from town on a Saturday was bad!

Chris125

Established Member
Shame this program wont have any footage of tonights steam trial on the west and north sections of the circle tonight, would make great tv!

Chris

EM2

Established Member
The problem is the name of the line - "Northern" when it includes the Southernmost part of the network.

I suppose a rational system of numbered lines is a little unlikely to be adopted.....
Well, the Eastern end of the Central isn't very central either.

Chris125

Established Member
What a superb video on the blog from Leon Daniel's, TfL's managing director of surface transport no less. Anyone excited about the 150th anniversary...?

Chris

SS4

Established Member
Not helpful when you're colour-blind

True, but the map can't be everything to everyone and there needs to be a cut off point before someone with a disability should ask for help.

Tonight's episode is about Revenue so expect strong language :lol:

Tubeboy

Revenue. Gold braid and an attitude problem. Don't you love revenue. They might be fellow colleagues, but I ain't a fan of them.

VTPreston_Tez

Revenue, fare evasion, just as SS4 stated above. It's going to be different, do we know what all 6 eps will be about?

Status
Not open for further replies.