• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Tynesider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Wasn't "The Tynesider" one of the names used by the ScotRail SuperSprinter services, shortly after they were introduced?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hoping to get booked up on my first two Railtours this year, 'Flying Scotsman' Shuttle Runs from NRM York to Shildon in September and 'The Tynesider' from Newcastle Central to London KX and return in November: http://www.railwaytouring.co.uk/index.php/the-tynesider---261111.html

What I'd like to know from you experienced travellers out there is; Is it worth it? and What to expect? :D

Cheers for any responses!

I have done quite alot of these mainline Railtours, mainly steam hauled, they are very good, but you do have to note, that these trains are slotted in between the scheduled services which are given priority, so there can be delays and periods where the tour train is held for a while in sidings and to take water.
They are also regulated to a max speed of 60-75 MPH, depending on the loco used, by the killjoys, so the days can be quite long. The catering can be a bit hit & miss sometimes, so I always take a flask of tea for the morning and some beer or wines for the evening and some sandwiches, using a local pub in the destination during the layover.

So as long as you are aware of this, you should have a great time, the sights, sounds, smuts and steam are great, I always like seeing the surprised looks of passengers waiting at stations when one of these specials come through. The trips along the seawall at Dawlish, then via the Kent Coast and along the Settle/Carlisle Lines are great. Hope you enjoy your trips. Rgds Steve.:D

GNER 373

Thanks Steve, you've pretty much confirmed what I thought, sounds great! Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Wasn't "The Tynesider" one of the names used by the ScotRail SuperSprinter services, shortly after they were introduced?

I'm not sure, can't find anything online!?

Status
Not open for further replies.