• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A big "well done" on your recent trips to Scotland.

I have noticed that you have landed my final required Class 315 (810) for haulage on the mundane Romford - Upminster shuttle the other day. I was considering posting in the "Long Term out of use Units" thread in the next week or so to enquire if it actually exists and is still in service, as I have never seen that before when out and about at Liverpool Street or Anglia region.

Thanks for confirming it actually exists - I will attempt to grab that when I am in London next week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Haha. It was pretty awesome actually, I remember watching the kids (we had four with us that time) walking the dog on the beach and just thinking how amazing it was to be there looking up at it.
I do like camping somewhere amazing for nothing... ;)

Its a bluddy good spot although you will have struggled for a pumpout of your toilet and waist water tanks and potentially for fresh water too but otherwise spot on place and TBH the policing of the goings on in town is so resource hungry that at the 1 time of year they would potentialy have an issue with you being there theres nobody to enforce it.

Keith Jarrett

I see that you tell us finally how 158707 fell - well you almost literally fell into it with not a lot of time to prime the class clearance cannons! All I can say is that the jam must have been rather thickly spread for that to happen. Just a pity that a certain tram did not make an appearance but when you are back up there to chase down all those 385s, you'll no doubt have another bite at the cherry.

An award must be due to you for clearing all those DMUs - even after umpteen years of bashing, I am still on 29 DMUs required but the ones really in my sights are the ones that date back to pre-privatisation as they must be on borrowed time. Congratulations and well done!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thank you for your kind comments

Adam - Yes that 315 exists, so might be worth popping over to Romford (maybe sampling out a 345 ;) to see which unit is on the rural branch line as you might get lucky.

Keith - I'm back up in Edinburgh in November time to do a relaxing "Edinburgh Days Out" rover, so hopefully it might pop out to play then. One good thing with Edinburgh Trams is that app, you can see which trams are out so you don't have to waste time festering at say Haymarket (or even Edinburgh Park) tram stops on the lookout for the tram.

I got lucky with that 158, as it could have easily still have been up in Inverness working a Far North service, so it is finally in the book after avoiding me in May and those close misses earlier in the year.

Cowley - Sounded like a good place to camp for the night :) I'm quite pleased with how that picture of the bridge came out. I try to explore the local area when visiting random stations, some areas are better than others.

BT - It was nice for another catch-up after your ALR back earlier in the year

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
An excellent couple of Scottish trips there - congrats on clearing Scotland for everything except that pesky tram and subway car!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
23rd September – Beginning of the Final Push

This day was sort of unplanned in my great masterplan, mainly it was going to be a Railtour (Diamond twenties) but that has been postponed due to engineering works giving me a free day. What to do I got thinking, pondering a couple options before looking at doing the Shrewsbury – Crewe locals, which will free me up on the Friday evening when I head up to Crewe for the final weekend (scary to be thinking that I’m nearly done, considering I only really started doing station visits in 2015, with 2014 being a few odds and sods but nothing that planned).

Anyhow a quick plan was formed, it wouldn’t be a cheap day due to the lack of a day rover covering the whole line, but I worked out a plan involving day returns to ‘break’ my journey before resuming on a fresh ticket, the wedge of tickets which got printed out at Ebbsfleet on Friday was a lot (along with several reservation coupons which went straight into the bin due to being counted place and hence useless). Sadly my usual option of the 05:59 from Grateley towards Basingstoke wasn’t running (due to engineering works nearer London meant only an hourly service in the early morning/evening with some Salisbury – Basingstoke stoppers coming into play during the day to allow the services from Exeter to do their usual running fast).

I do apologise for rambling on about stuff, so it was a nice walk to Grateley station for the 05:29 service which was formed of 159107 to take me for the short trip to Basingstoke, unusually it wasn’t dead quiet, picking up a few passengers along the way. I left the train at Basingstoke for a good 35 minute fester before 166204 rolled in from Reading to form the first stopping service from Basingstoke to Reading, and hence to reduce my Voyager mileage I jumped on board, taking up my usual seats in the 1st class area of this rarity of a sub-10 mile 166 for the run to Reading, swinging via Boots to pick up something to munch on before heading over to one of the high numbered platforms to await the voyager to roll in from Southampton.

A nice lightly loaded 220019 rolled in, as I took a seat in coach F at the front of the unit, overhearing someone moaning that they had booked “forward” facing seats, only for most of the seats to be going backwards. I relaxed getting ready to spot any new 387s on the depot at Reading but alas all the ones I could ID were duds so I relaxed some more for some relief line action, and unusually rolling into Oxford without having to wait for a few minutes outside for a Turbo to clear out of the way. I alighted from the Voyager at Banbury due to my Gold Card not being valid north of Banbury on Crosscountry, so a few minutes later a pair of underpowered droning machines rolled in. 168003 & 168219 were the pair in question (this service was so much better when it was booked 168+172!) as I took a seat in the front of 168003 to get some quiet away from those engines.

An uneventful run (other than someone dashing off at Dorridge at the speed of light when the guard came round checking tickets, so most likely a fare dodger as they looked a bit shifty after Warwick Parkway). Into Moor Street and a short walk (via Tesco for supplies) to New Street to await the arrival of the Holyhead service which was advertised as “formed of 4 coaches”. A good thing I got a seat reservation for this service as the rear 2 coaches had somehow gotten misplaced as it was a solo 158838 to take me to Shrewsbury, departing rather crowded but soon emptied out on route.

I had an outside hope of making a -1 at Shrewsbury to a Crewe stopper, which I had put down as being a “no chance” due to the longer dwell times, but a check of Shrewsbury on RTT saw the inbound service being delayed by a few minutes which would give me a very tight connection, as I headed towards the door (passing a few passengers with luggage heading towards the Cambrian service), rolling into Shrewsbury, my heart skipping a beat as the Crewe dogbox was already on platform 7, however it was still unloading so after the doors on the 158 were released I did a “fast walk” across to jump onto the 153 just as the platform staff was getting ready to give it the Right Away to the guard.

The last time I travelled along this line was in January 2015 on a Railtour, the only time before was in September 14 on a fast service from Crewe to Shrewsbury, so all 6 of these stations held the honour of being the only half-dozen stations in England I hadn’t previously called at. Thankfully I got some good words of advice from Julian about what was around the stations which was helpful, as after slow process was made (trespassers in the Wem area) the dogbox arrived at my 1st new station of the day, Whitchurch. The dogbox in question was 153367 which in the grand scheme of things was a mid-mileage unit [Cardiff to Pyle as well as a Queen Street – Central hop] but I believe all the Welsh 153s have been cleared for 10 miles so it wasn’t much lost there.

Anyhow, Whitchurch, a nice footbridge at the Shrewsbury end of the station, the town centre seemed to be a fair walk away, with the BR sign looking like it needed some TLC. I was now off-plan as I hadn’t expected to make that connection, so it was only a short wait, made longer by delays and a dodgy PIS (said expected 11:25 but rolled in at 11:18) with a reasonably busy 175115 rolling in to take me to the 2nd ‘easy’ station on this line, Nantwich. Another station with a footbridge at the Shrewsbury end, as well as a level crossing, due to the delay I didn’t hang around for long before 153367 returned from Crewe, it was time to request a stop.

Whitchurch (Shropshire) Station

I was the only passenger who requested this stop, although it looked like someone got on, at the rural Yorton. Worth noting there is a bus stop at the roadside, evidence of a former barrow crossing but now the only access between platforms is to exit the station, go down a narrow country lane (not one to do when it be dark!), underneath the railway line before climbing some steps to reach the opposite platform. A closed pub is all that I could see, but a look on Maps suggested there wasn’t else a lot around, which could be reached in the short time I had. A decent waiting room on the Crewe bound platform which had a raised section as I was joined by another passenger to flag down the return of 153367 (beware this 153 features a lot in this report).

Due to scoring Whitchurch earlier allowed me to swap over my plan as I requested my final English station to call at, Wrenbury. Another rural station, nothing much to report in the local area, other than fields, a level crossing at the Shrewsbury end, as I crossed over, taking a couple pictures of Hippos dashing past, reading my newspaper pile before 153367 once more rolled in. This time I took it to Wem which has a level crossing at the Crewe end which seemed to have caught a few wannabe passengers out as the barriers didn’t raise straight away due to a Manchester bound 175 dashing past.

175112 passes Wem

Wem seemed to be a small town, a few shops a short distance away, but as it had started to rain I didn’t want to go far. A few buses were spotted so I expect there is untapped demand for a more regular service at Wem compared to the existing 2-hourly shuttle. Anyhow I noted the barriers went down a good few minutes before another 175 was due to pass and didn’t raise after it had gone past, so a strong warning for tight connections. 153367 once more returned with a smiling guard as I requested the next stop, the very rural Prees.

My final English ATW station, and if it wasn’t for requiring Commando or British Steel under my rule revision of needing to either board or alight from a service I would now be saying “England, Tick”. Anyhow I had roughly an hour here, so I took up a seat in the little waiting shelter (another one with not a lot around), relaxed reading my magazine with taking pictures of passing Hippos for the sake of something to do (this is one thing I won’t be missing when it is all over, no more long festers at random request stops)

The hour past reasonably quickly as I flagged down 153367 for the final time of the day to take me back to Shrewsbury, noting that the buffers on platform 6 looked a bit bent, and someone from Telford was banging on the door release button of a locked up 158 which had detached from a Holyhead service and was sitting on platform 4 waiting for the next Birmingham service to roll in, I had a feeling I knew which 158 would be back, and was correct with 158838. The unit it crashed into was 158826, which is where I took up a table seat for some phone charge and relaxed for the speedy run back to New Street.

Did someone have an accident?

Swinging via Tesco Metro to pick up something for dinner, before heading through the crowds to reach Moor Street for the 17:55 Marylebone service, which is booked a pair of 168/3s so I had a small chance of the blue pen coming out to play if either 326 or 327 rolled up (as required for renumbering), but alas it was 168329 & 168324 to do the honours taking me back to Banbury, as usual getting busy at Leamington.

Next up after a short break was 221135 for the 65 and a half mile dash south to Basingstoke where it arrived a couple minutes early, and into platform 4 which allowed me to make the (official) connection to the 20:13 Exeter service (was the 19:20, which on a normal Saturday would skip Grateley, but then I would use this 30 minutes at Basingstoke to grab something to eat from either Sainsburys or Tesco to wait for the ex-19:50 Salisbury service, so it be swings and roundabouts). Tonight this was formed of 159008 & 159017 to take me back to Grateley, a small issue at Whitchurch as someone forgot to get off and pulled the pass-con which delayed us slightly, so it was around 7 minutes late into Grateley.

221135 at Basingstoke

But I was 53 minutes ahead of my plan for the day, solely down for making that unofficial negative connection at Shrewsbury earlier in the day, so I was happy with the earlier finish and also of another line falling, allowing me to adjust my plans for my final weekend (so instead of spending the first 4 hours on the Saturday morning in England, I can go straight to Wales)

More pictures are available here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27666294@N02/albums/72157686355834321

------

Anyhow on an unrelated note on the Sunday I had a trip down to Exeter, met up with my former foe (150120) to take me to one of my most favourite stations (Exton) to walk down the path along the river, only to find the gate to Lympstone Commando wide open. I wasn’t challenged when I joined others waiting for the return of that 150, so another station into the book. One I was thinking would get away

Lympstone Commando Station

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lympstone Commando falls!
I'm sure I've asked this before but apart from The British Steel one being required in England, do you still need some in Wales? Also would you consider having a go at Northern Ireland? You could probably clear it in a couple of weeks...

Oh yes, Exton station is a very pleasant place I agree.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Lympstone Commando falls!
I'm sure I've asked this before but apart from The British Steel one being required in England, do you still need some in Wales? Also would you consider having a go at Northern Ireland? You could probably clear it in a couple of weeks...

Oh yes, Exton station is a very pleasant place I agree.

I need 23 in North Wales. Northern Ireland/Ireland is on my wish-list to visit next year

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've just been and caught up with your latest adventures Kite, by gum you've been busy! Your mobile house looks about the same size as mine, and as it was so ram-packed I can only imagine just how glad you'll have been to dump it down whenever possible!

As always, a thoroughly enjoyable read and I really want to go back to the West Highland Line now. The scenery from the bus route looks impressive, and the view of Glenfinnan Viaduct is simply superb.

Many congratulations on the clearance of the 156s and 158s too!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Right the class clearance canon fired once more on Friday (29th) with my last trio of 395s kindly linking up for me to clear South Eastern, and leaving 5 more ‘old’ EMUs left (3x 321s, 332014 which might not enter traffic again & 483009 which is a pain). I also paused at Old Street to get the LU platforms into my book as somehow it got marked down but doing my audit found out the only entries were for 313s.

395027 at St Pancras - Old Street LU Station

30th September – Wake Me Up when September Ends

I wasn’t originally going to do a full report for this day, but as it features various pacer related issues it was worth typing up. The main idea of today was to alight at a certain station in the North East, a station which sees 1 train a day calling in each direction and is located on the closed Redcar steel works so I would imagine might be at threat of closure itself (or at least axing the services down to once a week to save the hassle of closing the station). Although the area has history as I believe Grangetown further up the track towards Middlesbrough suffered a similar fate back in the early 90s and got closed.

It was another trip on the 05:29 service to Waterloo, making sure I got up in time as I didn’t have the backup option of the 05:59 today. A short walk to the station to purchase my tickets from the TVM (making use of the “Buy from other Stations” function to save some money with a split) before 159017 rolled in. Apart from sitting at Clapham Junction for 10 minutes (booked time) crossing over towards the Windsor Lines before terminating at Waterloo. A short walk to LU found that the Northern Line was closed at Waterloo (there goes an idea for some hunting of 51530 & 51557) so it was to Piccadilly Circus on 3553/3246 to head down to the Piccadilly Line.

Alas sadly none of my last few 1973 stock units popped up on my short fester on the Piccadilly line, with 208/111 taking me onwards to Kings Cross St Pancras, where I headed out of LU and in search of something to munch on. Going back in memories I think I could recall seeing a Sainsburys Local near the old entrance of the Thameslink station (used at peak-times by Victoria Line), however I spotted a Tesco Metro nearby (head out of Kings Cross towards McDonalds, turn left along the side of the station until the first road on the right hand side, the Tesco is located at the end of that street, near a Premier Inn).

With something for breakfast sourced, plus something for lunch I headed towards Kings Cross and towards the Grand Central HST, for it was time to say goodbye to the best interior HSTs, as the next time I use Grand Central it will probably be next year when the 180s take over everything. 43465 was leading 43484 as I removed my seat reservation label in coach C to take up a single table seat in coach A, for some declassified 1st class action (won’t be the same when the 180s take over due to the loss of the secret coach).

Anyhow a storming run along the ECML, arriving into York a few minutes early, a result which repeated at Eaglescliffe when the HST arrived a good 5 minutes early, allowing me to walk to the friendly ticket office to hang over a “Friends & Family” voucher in exchange for one of Jamie’s favourite tickets (I know it seems a waste of a voucher, but I probably wouldn’t have used it up before it expired). A change of plan now, not only could I make 142068 working the next Saltburn service, I had lunch so I took a seat on the 3+2 original bench seated 142 for the run east passing the sad sight of the former steel works (the various tracks leading around were mostly rusty with weeds growing up).

Changing ends of 142068 for a nice long run back west, staying on all the way to Bishop Auckland, a nice enough place, the track towards the Weardale railway (and Bishop Auckland West) was rusty as anything. Once more I changed ends of the pacer, sitting on the opposite site to pass the Hitachi factory to re-join the main ECML into Darlington, where the pacer sat for 15 minutes with a door fault (wasn’t gaining interlock), eventually it was fixed but the damage was done and the unit terminated at Middlesbrough turfing everybody out, not like it bothered me as I had planned a break at the city to do a spot of shopping, grabbing a baguette meal deal from Greggs (plus a free doughnut for having a NUS card!).

I could have probably made the next Saltburn service, but got caught up with the world’s slowest set of traffic lights and turning the wrong way to locate the entrance to Middlesbrough station, although this might have been a blessing as it allowed me to make use of the station toilets for a PNB before taking up a seat on the platform spotting a replacement 142 being rolled out to replace 068). I suspect one of the Nunthorpe – Hexham services got reduced from a pair of 142s to a single 142 (as I couldn’t think where else that 142 popped up from). Anyhow the next Saltburn service was formed of 142065 which I was hoping to take to the town, to have a walk towards the pier and some time off.

142065 reached Redcar Central, where it stopped due to the pacer in front having some issues requiring police to attend so this service got terminated at Redcar Central, where I turned down the chance of getting a crossover due to the unit being rammed on departure (fair play to both the guard & “assistant ticket examiner” for going across to the other platform in the rain to inform the passengers waiting to go across to platform 2 to board 142065 working the 16:08 towards Darlington. bear in mind the 15:10 got cancelled, the next westbound service (15:43) was the one stuck at Redcar East) so this was 3 train loads in 1 (hence being rammed).

The next Saltburn service rolled in, formed of 142070, and it appeared the issue with the one in front had been sorted and the pacer carried on to Saltburn, rolling into platform 1. Sadly no time to explore the town as I changed ends as this unit formed the 16:30 service, which called at that certain station. The guard closed the doors, gave the driver the buzzes the engines revved up and the pacer didn’t move, another couple attempts but the brakes had jammed on. The driver tried his best to fix the fault waiting for the next service to come in to try and attach to see if it was an issue with the cab, but the next service was a double pacer, so it wouldn’t fit in the platform.

The 16:30 Bishop Auckland hence got cancelled with passengers transferring across to the lesser used platform 2 with 142091 & 142018 working the next service, I mentioned to the guard who made a phone call and a few minutes later the Northern Journey Checker was saying “16:55 Saltburn to Darlington due 17:48 will call additionally at British Steel Redcar & South Bank”. Needless to say I was the only person who got off the train at British Steel Redcar, nobody was boarding. The rain had thankfully stopped as I entered into a fast walk, making use of my backup option (for I was around 40 minutes late into this station). Turned the wrong way at first because I didn’t see the overgrown path leading towards the exit, eventually reaching the road and spotting the exit, thankfully the gates were open, with a member of the security staff looking up from whatever they were doing (probably watching the TV).

A fast walk alongside the A1085 (which was a busy road, thankfully there is a pavement/cycle path), with Coatham Marsh on the opposite side, and just under 40 minutes later I reached Redcar Central with 15 minutes to spare before my backup option of 142084 to take me to Darlington for a short fester (around 12 minutes) before my booked train back to London. DVT 82222 was leading 91119 “Bounds Green Depot” as I took up my seat in coach F with the guard coming through on departure to do tickets (caught at least a couple passengers attempting a free ride).

My connection at London was a tight but comfortable 35 minutes (bear in mind my average from Kings Cross to Waterloo is around 20 minutes), so all was looking good until Doncaster where we got hit by a delay waiting for the BTP to come to deal with a disruptive passenger (not saying anything but he was in a football shirt), however after departure we got caught up in more delays caused by a bridge strike at Grantham, the line had reopened but we caught up with the tail-end waiting for a Leeds – Kings Cross service to depart Grantham. A good run southbound ruined by a late running freight service over the 2-track section at Welwyn, but the damage had been done as the service rolled into Kings Cross at 21:59.

Still the connection to Waterloo with the 22:20 was possible if LU was behaving, so a fast walk to the Victoria Line platforms timing it good with 11053/11054 rolling in, to be informed by the driver that “this service will be waiting here for a couple minutes to regulate service”, which wasn’t something I wanted to hear. Eventually we got going but at Oxford Circus, I had just missed a Bakerloo line service with the next showing as in 9 minutes (god bless the Bakerloo!), I headed back to the Victoria line platform with 11093/11094 taking me to Victoria (as I had a backup option of a 22:17 service from the suburban platforms). After ****ing off some fare dodgers (you know the sort who try and use a single oyster card for 8 youths), I leapt onto 455803 which departed a couple minutes late.

The danger music was sounding as it rolled into Clapham Junction, as I headed over to platform 9 to find the 22:29 [retimed due to engineering work] was itself delayed by a couple minutes, which allowed me to make a nice solo 159015 working a busy service back towards home (and as usual it emptied out at Woking with a large passenger flow at Basingstoke). A nice walk back home in the light drizzle, reflecting on a productive day, a close call with British Steel Redcar but it is done under my revised rules of either alighting or boarding for a station to count.

Here be some pictures:
43484 departs Eaglescliffe - 142068 at Bishop Auckland - 142068 at Bishop Auckland

142065 at Redcar Central - 142070 at Saltburn - Pacers at Saltburn

142091 & 142018 at British Steel Redcar - 142018 departs British Steel Redcar

----------------

I will do my “September in review” after a mini-report for the 1st October, basically it involved a rammed 220 from Basingstoke to Reading (engineering works at Woking), with a busy HST to Paddington, before visiting Finchley Central en-route to High Barnet. I started doing my audit for LU and it flagged up as not being visited, however I am 90% certain it was down to a logging error back in 2014 when I did the branch to Mill Hill East.

However it is done again, running back to Marylebone for a pair of 165s to take me to West Ruislip to clear England (as I had only previously had West Ruislip down as being visited only by LU, not by the Chiltern platforms and it was a slight annoyance in the back of my head. I can live with the likes of Rickmansworth being done by LU only because Chiltern share the same platforms, but West Ruislip it is different platforms.

Anyhow afterwards it was a nice long run to Stratford on a Central line service, on the off-chance a 345 (or even one of those 321s were out), watching confusion with 10A, before a run on a Jubilee line service to Waterloo with the delayed 19:20 back to Grateley (door issues). I was originally only going to do West Ruislip one day this week, but decided to do it on the Sunday as something to do.

Finchley Central LU Station 165001 departs West Ruislip

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on clearing England for mainline shacks! Close call indeed with Redcar British Steel but nice work on getting it done :)

168 hours until your Welsh mission is complete, a shame I can't get up there and join you!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So that's the last English main line station done then? Just the ones in Wales (and NI) left now? Very impressive Mr Kite.

Kite159

Veteran Member
England is done, only those ones in Wales to clear Great Britain (Northern Ireland is an idea for next year, if only for coverage)

Kite159

Veteran Member
A look back at September

My 2 month run of being away from home on Friday ended this month with a trip to London on the 1st to do the South Eastern Waterloo – Sevenoaks services, grabbing a trio of 700s and a nice fast run on a pair of 387s to Maidenhead before heading home. The Saturday was a ‘lazy’ day, heading to Manchester via Reading to have a tram hunt scoring 5 out of my remaining 11 Metrolink trams, plus a couple nice runs on Northern to pass the time before heading back home for an even lazier Sunday.

The big trip of September was a weeklong trip to Scotland, swinging via Reading & Staines to grab my first pair of 707s on a decent run to Waterloo, getting bowled out by a 315 instead of a 345 before a dud 92 took me onward to Glasgow. The Friday morning was a quick trip on the Glasgow Subway before hunting down 4 out of my last 5 Scottish units, with both the 334s & 156s getting cleared, before a good run to Carstairs on a 318 via Holytown.

The main event started on the Saturday with the Oban branch of the West Highland Line falling, with a trip to Loch Eil on the Sunday stopping off at Rannoch on the way back to Glasgow to get some 73 haulage which turned out to be a good call due to the same 73 getting delayed on the Monday morning, shifting to Banavie picking up a couple request stops on route to Mallaig involving some local buses to grab two stations with one stone. A similar story on the Tuesday with an early morning trip to Corrour (aka my favourite station), being amazed by Glenfinnan viaduct, getting bitten at Beasdale and conquering Scotland at Arisaig, with the Wednesday being a lazy day trip to Mallaig from Fort William before the sleeper took me back to London.

A mini London trip on the Thursday scored me a couple extra 700s before a trio of 345s, plus another 387 out of Paddington. I wasn’t home for long as less than 24 hours later I was heading back to London, grabbing another 387 out of Paddington before a 700 hunting session picking up 8 units before heading to an upgraded berth on the sleeper hauled by 92014 once more. Due to delays caused by a person hit by a train my rough plan on Saturday went out of the window, but the appearance of my final DMU made up for it, getting amazed by the Forth Bridge on route to Glenrothes.

Coming back to London was via Carlisle, with a required 67 dragging 91120 across the Tyne Valley for a fast dash back to London, picking up a required 73 stock on route to Waterloo & home for a short break before a trip to Bristol from Paddington via Oxford Parkway for some diverted HST fun before a rammed 159 back home.

The following Friday (22nd) was a trip on HS1 to revisit Halling, picking up 4 out of my last 7 395s, my final S7 plus another pair of 707s on a linear move from Waterloo to Clapham. The Saturday was a short notice change of plan from a Railtour to do the Shrewsbury – Crewe local shacks with lots of 153367 based noise, just gets them out of the way to save a job in October time. The Sunday was a trip to Exeter to walk from Exton to Lympstone Commando to find the gate wide open, practising some hiding in plain sight before 150120 returned me to Exeter for an early finish back home.

The final Friday I originally was going to spend at home, however I got news that my last 3 395s were all gettable so I decided another spin on HS1 was required, picking up 395027 on a run from Ebbsfleet back to St Pancras, swinging via Old Street to correct an oddity on my log files before heading home. The Saturday was a lazy trip to the North East, saying farewell to Grand Central HSTs, getting some 142 action, randomly scoring platform 2 at Saltburn and alighting at British Steel Redcar. A close call getting home but I made the earlier 22:20 service (all be it from Clapham), to save having a bus from Andover back to Grateley later on.

September in Numbers

6389 miles covered (41168 to date)
1 new loco (67003)
35 new units (3x 156, 1x 158, 1x 334, 3x 345 3x 387, 7x 395s 13x 700, 4 x 707)
5x Metrolink Trams, 1x 1973 Stock, 1 x S7, 1x Glasgow Subway stock
28 new shacks into my book

Looking ahead to October sees the end of the hunt, also sees my last PSUL move with probably a Merseyrail day. A lazy London Saturday followed by “The Fiddlers Five” Railtour which will be one long day (and hence I have booked a seat in 1st class seeing as I will be on that train for nearly 17 hours)

Established Member
Glad you managed to use that Family & Friends voucher. I assume Sunday will be the day you say 'GB. Tick'?

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
You are incorrect there ;)

(It might have been but the Conwy Valley doesn't have a Sunday [train] service now)

If your last station in the UK is on the Conwy Valley, I recommend the following candidates as suitable (in reverse order)
3. Llanwrst. Pleasant little town.
2. Dolwyddelen. Nice village, friendly natives in the Spar.
1. Tal-y-Cafn. Pub/restaurant by station, and taxi back to the Junction shouldn't be too chingy if you over-indulge! :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
If your last station in the UK is on the Conwy Valley, I recommend the following candidates as suitable (in reverse order)
3. Llanwrst. Pleasant little town.
2. Dolwyddelen. Nice village, friendly natives in the Spar.
1. Tal-y-Cafn. Pub/restaurant by station, and taxi back to the Junction shouldn't be too chingy if you over-indulge! :)

My last station in the UK will be in Northern Ireland, but for GB it won't be one of those 3 ;)

(I'm being very careful when describing it as Great Britain rather than United Kingdom due to Northern Ireland)

Kite159

Veteran Member
6th October – Even an End has a Start

The final weekend was finally here, when I made a prediction back in May that I would finish on the 14th October I didn’t believe myself with various events falling in my direction meant that 2563-day would fall 6 days earlier on the 9th October instead, with the time shifting from late afternoon to morning. But as I planned each charted course, each careful leap along the way, stations falled along the wayside, my luck held out with no major delays or cancellations which meant I was down to the final 22, the final weekend trip, and as someone once said, even an end needs to have a starting point.

And that starting point was delayed by an hour due to a surprise visit from senior management meaning I couldn’t sneak away any earlier than my booked finish time of 14:30, which didn’t bother me as all my plans for today was a move to Crewe, also gave me a chance to dig out the cheque book for that 47 tour in early December. After a short walk to the station, I arrived in good time (having picked up my tickets for this trip the day before to save some time) for the 15:59 to Waterloo, that honour going to 158885 leading 159102 & 159008 on a reasonably busy service.

Bailing at Basingstoke, I popped out of the station briefly to confuse the ticket office guy with my request for a “Explore North Wales” rover, making use of some RTVs in my pile to reduce the cost down. Rover purchased it was back via the gate-line, passing the friendly RPI and up to platform 4 which was slightly busy waiting for the 16:47 XC service to Manchester. Thankfully it was a 221 rather than a 220, as 221123 rolled in as I managed to grab a table seat in coach B for the run up to Reading, reversing before carrying on to Banbury getting some good speed on the main lines (rather than relief lines). The 221 got cosy after Oxford, but it was easy enough to alight at Banbury.

Shocking as it sounds, I was actually making use of my Hatton – Lapworth season ticket as a season ticket this trip, all be it as a link up between open returns. Anyhow I boarded 165013 working the Marylebone – Birmingham service which stops at most stations south of Banbury, sits at Banbury for around 20 minutes before carrying on to Snow Hill, getting overtaken by a 68 at Hatton. I mainly boarded the 165 to make use of the toilet, and to get a 165 for coverage from Banbury to Leamington Spa. I bailed at Leamington Spa and waited 5 minutes for the unmissable sound of 68010 “Oxford Flyer” rolling in on the Kidderminster service.

My gamble paid off as the front coach had a few empty seats to listen to the lovely sound of the 68 heading towards Moor Street, DVT 82302 was on the rear, with time to kill I had a slow walk over to New Street, going down into the depths of the cave to wait for the next ATW service to Chester & Aberystwyth (although it was advertised as Chester & Shrewsbury, the guard announced it as “Front 2 for stations to Chester, rear 2 for stations to Aberystwyth”). As a result both portions were quite busy, but I managed to get a seat in 150242 leading 158840 for the run to Shrewsbury, first time on a 150 along this line which made a change from the usual diet of 158s.

At Shrewsbury it was a short walk out of the station (as the service from Birmingham arrived on platform 3), and into the main part where 158839 would be my final train of the day on a Crewe stopping service, none of the request stops were called at and it was a nice run to Crewe, sadly my plan of scoring one of the south facing bay platforms (7 or 8) failed as both had 350s in (due to the line at Liverpool being closed), so the 158 terminated into platform 11. A short walk to the hotel, checking in and making myself comfortable for the night for it was an early start tomorrow morning. I’m thinking at £45 a night this is probably one of my most expensive hotel stays, however Crewe is expensive (even 5 months out), there were some cheaper hotels available but they looked to be a good mile and a bit from the station and had early check in times.

Anyhow my main report will follow, probably tomorrow unless I can find my writing grove later on, so I will leave you with a picture of 68010 at Leamington Spa

68010 at Leamington Spa

(Gar, I'm missing Microsoft Office already, Libre Office Writer does things differently)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good grief Kite you can't just leave it there!
Drink some coffee and write the rest of it. :lol:
We're waiting for confirmation here...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Long story, last week my laptop started playing up, it was taking a good couple minutes between the log-in screen to the desktop loading up, so after trying various fixes I decided to "reset" the laptop with a fresh installation of Windows. The downside is that I can't find my disc for Office 2007 which has the product code to enable me to download Office. So as a temporary fix I have downloaded the free Libre Office suite as I'm not paying out for the latest Office until I have a good hunt for the disc. Shortcuts are the same but there are slight little changes to the way it works compared to Office, such as randomly inserting multiple breaks for paragraphs.

Unless you meant the report of course Cowley ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
:lol:. I didn't even understand a quarter of what you just said (I'm fairly analog you see), I'm hearing rumours and I want confirmation.
However, I can wait until you're ready.
Looking forward to reading about it though I must say...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think you did the right thing hotel wise in Crewe, me and @Techniquest bowled ourselves out totally there last year by staying in the middle of a ruddy business park.
I resolved then and there never to let him book a hotel for us in Crewe again, next time we need one its my shout!

Kite159

Veteran Member
:lol:. I didn't even understand a quarter of what you just said (I'm fairly analog you see), I'm hearing rumours and I want confirmation.
However, I can wait until you're ready.
Looking forward to reading about it though I must say...

I will give you a taste, Day 3 features the attached picture of a tasty 67 (depending on the rumours they are probably true) ;)

----

Dan - I've been bowled out before with booking accommodation without noticing how far out it is, got caught out a few years ago in Doncaster where my guest house was a good mile and a half from the station!

Attachments

• IMG_20171009_115940989.jpg
    IMG_20171009_115940989.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I will give you a taste, Day 3 features the attached picture of a tasty 67 (depending on the rumours they are probably true) ;)

Have you deliberately blanked the station signboard in the background out? It all looks suspiciously Welsh to me. Even the seagull underneath it does...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Have you deliberately blanked the station signboard in the background out? It all looks suspiciously Welsh to me. Even the seagull underneath it does...
How on earth are you able to determine if a seagull looks Welsh?

Kite159

Veteran Member

Nope, just the way the sun was shining. That station be Llandudno Junction (which wasn't one of the last). It be just the North Wales commuter "WAG" on the 09:50 Manchester Piccadilly - Holyhead service

Kite159

Veteran Member
A trip to North Wales (Operation Station 2563), Day 1

The day began in the hotel in Crewe, with a slow walk pass the station to the little Tesco Express to purchase something to eat for breakfast and a couple other bits I needed, before heading to Crewe station. Spotting a LM 350 departing the lesser used platform 2 and an ATW 158 in platform 10, both times being the first time I’ve seen those platforms being used. A 390 was sat on platform 12, looked like it hadn’t been cleaned from the night before (I assume it was meant to go to Liverpool).

A short wait before the first service out West rolled in from Birmingham, a lightly loaded 221115 where it was easy to get a table seat in coach D for the nice run towards Chester before going onto track lesser travelled, although it was still dark with dawn breaking at the island platform of Prestatyn. Evidence of former side platforms as I suspect it used to be 4-tracks along this section of line in the olden days, anyhow a nice looking small town split by the railway with a Tesco Express getting spotted on the south side. My time at Prestatyn was short before Llandudno bound 175011 rolled in a few minutes late from Manchester to skip the next station as this was the hourly service which called at Abergele & Pensarn, making use of the new platform built earlier this year over the former platform loop.

This station gives a beautiful view of the beach at Pensarn, and my half hour fester here was quite nice watching the waves, before heading into the small shelter to shelter against a chilly wind. I was glad when 175007 rolled in from Llandudno to take me back one stop to Rhyl. An impressive building, with former platforms in evidence from the glory days of the 60s when this was a top holiday resort, a rusty through line remains on the westbound platform (can’t see that getting used by that many trains as the vast majority call here with a couple non-stop services heading east (those which have an odd service pattern of calling at all stations [by request] from Holyhead to Llandudno Junction before running fast to Chester).

I noticed ticket barriers are in operation here, so didn’t fancy a quick visit to the outside of the station as I only had 10 or so minutes before the next train, which was formed of low mileage 175104 to take me to Colwyn Bay, a station currently getting refurbished, featuring a nice plant-pot train & barriers. With 25 minutes to kill I headed out of the station (needless to say my rover didn’t work the barriers), watched a small market being set up before heading out following a path underneath the railway to reach the sea front with an old disused pier looking sad boarded up with high fences to prevent access.

Old Pier at Colwyn Bay

Returning to the station for the next Holyhead service formed of a busy 175003, time to request my first request stop of this trip, the short platforms of at Conwy. This is where I changed my plan as I had planned not to be able to make the +4 connection here, but the next eastbound service was running a couple minutes late so it was a short walk over the roadbridge [Holyhead end] noticing the rather nice looking castle overlooking this small town to head to the opposite platform, flagging down 175102, which was local door only for the tiny leap back across the Conwy Railway Bridge to take me to Llandudno Junction, where a short walk took me to bay platform 2 to board 175104 working the next Llandudno shuttle service.

I was now ahead of my plan and after a quick look on Google found something I could pull off, getting a bonus shack, so after requesting and alighting at Deganwy, which gives very good views of the water front, but I didn’t hang round for long crossing over the road to wait for an Arriva bus working a route 13 service (fleet number 2571) to take me back towards Llandudno Junction, remaining on board to exit the bus at the Black Cat Roundabout, noting the location of my hotel for the Sunday night, and firing up Google Maps for a gentle walk along the A470 (pavemented) giving good views of the River Conwy to reach Glan Conwy station. Not often am I blown away by the view, but this platform sits on the side of the river giving excellent views, I can only be amazed at what it would be like on a sunny day, but even on a day with the sky showing 50 shades of grey the view was still breathtakingly beautiful.

View from Glan Conwy Station

This was a bonus shack, which I had previously had down for doing on the Monday morning, so with a note in my memory to change my plan for Monday, I had a short wait. Sadly the little waiting shelter lacked a bench, the only seat being out in the open (and hence it was wet). That didn’t matter than much to me as it was only a short wait before low mileage 150267 came round the corner, as I requested for it to stop to allow me to board a busy service. I put my request in for the guard after a nice run along a scenic line I alighted at Dolwyddelan, where like others before me, I took a gentle walk into the village centre to visit the little Spar, coming away with a packet of sausage rolls and some cold drinks, which passed the time in this little village.

Returning to the single basic platform, with a small shelter from the rain for a short wait before 150267 returned, a bit emptier now than before, for the trip back up north to Tal-Y-Cafn, with a manually operated level crossing and a former platform on the opposite side. I didn’t hang around for long as I exited the station, passing a pub/hotel to wait where Google suggested was a bus stop. Like the ones in the highlands I used it was a hail & ride service with no giveaway signs that I was in the correct place, so it was a case of keeping my eyes peeled for the “Express Motors” route X1 service, flagging down bus “YJ66 APO” for the short ride down the busy road to reach another unmarked bus stop opposite a posh looking hotel and the platform at Dolgarrog.

A completely random platform, with a foot crossing at the southern end, so with time to kill I decided to head for a little walk down a muddy path, eventually coming across an old railway bridge (there was once a little branch line towards an Aluminium works, long closed), and as regular readers might know, I do like an old bridge for engineering reasons. Sadly the banks of the River Conwy were a bit overgrown so places to be able to get a picture of the bridge were limited.

Old Railway Bridge over River Conwy at Dolgarrog

Once I returned to the platform, for a short wait for the delayed 150267 to return, taking me to another remote Welsh request stop, this time Pont-Y-Pant, located on the south bank of the river with a busy sounding road on the north bank. I did start going for a walk, reaching a road bridge giving views of the line coming out of a short tunnel in a rock face, but the rain had returned, so I returned to the safety of the little waiting shelter, noting that there was still a “First North Western” information poster up above the disused pay-phone.

My fester went fast, the departure time came and went, with 150267 rolling in around 5 minutes late, making up a bit of time along the way to reach Llandudno Junction, where I had a quick dash out to Asda for a sandwich before returning in time for the next Holyhead service. A reasonably busy 158819 rolled in as I put my request in to the guard, and took a seat for the short run to Penmaenmawr. Another basic 2-hourly served station, nothing of note around the station itself as I went for a little walk up to the main-road, for it was time for a bus move. This time it was a route 5 service bound for Bangor (timetable suggests 4 buses an hour on this route), as bus 3174 rolled in for the short ride along the road, joining the Expressway for a short section via a tunnel, exiting at a bus-gate.

Interesting this bus had automatic announcements at the stops, something I haven’t seen for a while, but my time was short as I alighted at Llanfairfechan, spotting a little Co-Op which was visited for some dinner before following a road down (passing a few takeaways), underneath the main road and up a little path to reach Llanfairfechan station itself. The station is underneath the main road (North Wales Expressway) so there was a lot of road noise, nothing of note on the station itself, a nice footbridge at the Conwy end, a small waiting shelter. I noted the next Holyhead service was on time, and hence gave a reasonable connection at what will be shack 2553, so I changed my plan once more.

175115 was up next for the 10 and ¾ mile run west, crossing over the double deck Britannia Bridge (guarded by them lions) as I left the main-line and entered the Island of Anglesey. My first point of call was that famous station which many people was thinking would have been the last as I alighted via the local door at Llanfairpwllgwyngyll-gogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysilio-gogogoch, otherwise known as Llanfairpwll. A massive name for such tiny platforms, after a picture of the famous sign I headed over the footbridge to join a crowd of passengers waiting for the next service towards Shrewsbury, formed of 158819 returning from Holy Island, which took me back over the bridge, back to the main-land at Bangor.

Llanfairpwll Station Sign

Bangor has two through lines (again both looked very rusty and I doubt they see much use these days), evidence of former bay platforms and other platforms. One impressive station building set back from the remaining part of the station. I had an option, either hang around for an hour for the return of 175115, or go for a bus trip back to Llanfairpwll to cross the famous Menai Suspension Bridge…

It was such a hard decision as I ended up at the bus stop for a route X4 (bound for Holyhead) service rolled in, formed of fleet number 2914, it took me over the narrow suspension bridge, giving good views of the Britannia Bridge (sadly I was on the wrong side of the bus for a picture), as it dropped me off at Llanfairpwll for a 2nd time. Once more I wasn’t alone as 175115 returned in the darkness, as I took a seat for the nice run back eastwards, back to Crewe where the train terminated into platform 9.

I walked back to the hotel, reflecting on a productive day, 15 shacks entered my book, leaving 8 to hunt down, which would be split over the next 2 days owing to the fact that the Conwy Valley line has no service on a Sunday this time of year (and surprisingly neither does Llandudno itself, not even an hourly shuttle service timed to connect with the roughly hourly Holyhead services).

I shall leave you with a picture, all other pictures are available in this Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27666294@N02/albums/72157687716620694

Flower Pot at Colwyn Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.