• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
8th October – A Trip to North Wales (Operation Station 2563), Day 2

Unlike some Sundays today was going to be a late start, with only 4 shacks in my targets, all being on the Island of Anglesey I could afford a late start with the limited Sunday timetable. After a beautiful breakfast I checked out of the hotel, swinging via Tesco for items for lunch before heading down to Crewe station. I spotted another 350 on platform 2 before taking a seat on a pair of 221s on the next Holyhead service, picking up a table seat in 221113 leading 221109 on a quiet service, which a couple hours later I had arrived at the end of the line onto platform 1 at Holyhead.

Holyhead Sidings

My only previous visit to Holyhead was a few years ago, when I didn’t leave the train due to it being busy, so it was time to explore the town, to find the town centre pretty much closed with only a few shops open so I headed towards the “Summer Hill” bus stop, taking a seat to read my newspaper to kill time before the 2 hourly bus to Bangor rolled in. I was surprised that it was a small Solo bus (fleet 682), as I was expecting something a bit bigger but it didn’t matter as there was enough seats for the short run out of Holyhead, via a couple smaller villages on the island of Holy before crossing over a bridge to the main island.

I stopped the bus at a bus stop in Valley village, noting the short platforms with a level crossing, the eastbound platform had been raised but at a cost of removing any seats, but it did mean Valley was in my book, with a good 9 others waiting for the train to Manchester, as 158827 rolled in with 158824 on the rear. As expected it was local door only, as I put in my request to the guard, pausing at the other two stations before stopping at the remote Bodorgan. Nothing around apart from houses, and with 45 minutes to kill I crossed over to the other platform via the barrow crossing, looked at the good views before taking a seat in a waiting shelter which smelt like someone had used it as a toilet (I’m looking at you Richard ;)).

The station was peaceful, other than the odd car passing, I was the only person waiting as I flagged down 175105 working the next Holyhead, boarding and requesting my next stop before taking a seat on a reasonably loaded train for a short hope to Rhosneigr. I suspect at one time this had a barrow crossing, but now the only way between platforms is via a road underpass so beware of any tight connections. Another station without much around, but I set about on a short walk via the small village (thankfully a pavement appeared after half a mile), passing a church and heading down another narrow country lane to reach Ty Croes.

Ty Croes Signal Box

A manually operated level crossing at this station, good views of farmland as I took a seat for a short wait, watching the member of staff opening up the crossing for the approaching trains, as I flagged down the return of 175105, noting that it was a massive step up into the 175, probably rivalling a couple of the stations on the Far North Line. I took a seat, had my sandwich which I purchased earlier and alighted from the train at Llandudno Junction.

To the bus stop as I had noticed a bus was due, and it was running around 10 minutes late as an Arriva bus rolled in (a route 13) to take me to the Black Cat Roundabout, on the same bus as the day before (2571). I was booked into the Premier Inn here, my first stay at a Premier inn since Inverness in June 16 so I couldn’t quite remember everything, but the room was quite nice. I flicked through the menu for the attached restaurant but nothing popped out at me so I headed back to the roundabout and to the Shell garage for a meal-deal (as I wasn’t hungry enough for a big meal).

Returning to the room for a catch-up on the internet and relaxing for an early start, for the final 4 tomorrow morning, with my alarm set for 04:30 as I wanted the 05:30 semi-fast Conwy Valley service from Llandudno Junction

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Another Welsh adventure and again involving buses as so many of us on here seam to be doing in Wales just now, possibly due to the fact that they seam to get intigration of routes and times with rail so very right in the land of the dragon. I can only assume that as even the nasty First Bus manage this that there is pressure from the WAG to make it so?
So so so nearly there Kite, dont keep us wating for the last one please?

Kite159

Veteran Member
9th October – A Trip to North Wales (Operation Station 2563), Day 3

I couldn’t sleep, the thought of finishing a challenge first started back in 2015 time (can’t quite remember the exact date I decided to start hunting down all the stations in Great Britain), anyhow after multiple trips over the past couple years I was down to my final 4, all were based on the Conwy Valley line (you could say I was saving the best until last). Anyhow I decided to get it done so with a 04:30 alarm, I was out of the Premier Inn around 04:45 for the mile and a bit walk towards Llandudno Junction where the unit getting the honours will be 150242.

150242 at Llandudno Junction

This was a semi-fast service which skips most of the request stops on route to Blaenau Ffestiniog, there was only another passenger boarding this service at Llandudno Junction for the fast run onto the Conwy Valley (scoring platform 4 at Llandudno Junction as well). My first shack of the day was at Betws-Y-Coed which unsurprisingly was dead quiet at this time of the morning, rather dark as well. Nothing was open (there is a little Londis in the centre but that doesn’t open until 08:00). After taking a few photos I joined Annie the Rhino on the platform for a short wait before 150242 returned from Blaenau.

I put my request into the guard, and so I was down to 2 shacks once I alighted at North Llanrwst, the passing loop on this otherwise single track line. The station itself isn’t that far away (0.6 miles) from the other station in this small town, which was reached after swinging via the small Co-Op for something for breakfast, a newspaper & something cold to drink. I reached Llanrwst a few minutes afterwards to eat my breakfast and have a quick read of the newspaper before 150242 returned from its quick turnaround at the Junction.

150242 arrives into Llanrwst

It was time to request my final station, and I did not think I would be saying that this year. Anyhow , the train once more was pretty much empty after Betws-Y-Coed with no calling at either Pont-Y-Pant or Dolwyddelan as the train slowed to a halt at Roman Bridge, I alighted and watched the 150 pulling away. Roman Bridge joins the likes of Ash, Perranwell, Maidstone Barracks, West Runton, Watlington, Gainsborough Lea Road, Seamer, Islip, Rainham, Winsford, Arisaig, British Steel Redcar & Berwick Upon Tweed as being my final stations for a TOC, however gets an even bigger tick for being my final GB shack for the time being.

And what a shack to end it all on!:

View from Roman Bridge Station

Anyhow after a celebratory tweet (making use of the BT WiFi on offer from the station house) it was time to relax, the feeling that it was over.No more festers at random Welsh rural request stops where the only company is some sheep, no more walk station walks or even bike rides, an end of an era for me. But all things must carry on and after a short wait 150242 returned to take me back to Llandudno Junction, jumping onto Euston bound 221117 to take me to Chester where the plan was to intercept the North Wales WAG set working the 09:50 Manchester – Holyhead. This was running a few minutes late caused by congestion so I used the time to photograph various units floating around Chester, including some of Jamie’s pets.

My luck was in with the appearance of required 67016 hauling the Holyhead service (with required DVT 82308 bringing up the rear), I was impressed with the interiors of the ATW Mk3 coaches, seats from the 158s mostly all in bays of 4 lined up with windows, with bonus of plug sockets. Why was I expecting fixed armrest IC70 style seating I have no idea. Anyhow I took a seat in the lightly loaded front coach for the speedy run across the country, oddly skipping Colwyn Bay to alight at Llandudno Junction for one last time on this time.

To waste some time I headed over to Asda, but couldn’t find anything of interest, so I returned to wait for the next Birmingham International Service, to be shocked when it rolled in, low mileage 150213 was leading 150245, I took a seat near the rear of 150245 which turned out to be a good move as they split up at Chester with only 150245 carrying on down the line towards Shrewsbury where it joined up with 158835 which had arrived from the Cambrian. I was surprised as the 150 kept up good timing, considering they are as fast as the 158s, but it was a minute late arrival into Smethwick Galton Bridge mainly caused by a large passenger flow at Wolverhampton. I was happy as 150245 was very vocal.

I headed upstairs for a 10 minute wait to hear the downstairs platforms falling to pieces, a train had broken down around New Street which was causing delays & cancellations, but that didn’t bother me as 172213 & 172212 rolled in on a school kids special. I alighted at Birmingham Moor Street and crossed over to the bay platform where 68013 was sat purring away ready to work the 15:55 Marylebone service. I couldn’t manage to ID the DVT as the platform was busy at Banbury so I couldn’t get to the front in time.

It was a good run along the Chiltern Line in front of a low mileage 68, and soon I was at Banbury, changing onto 221132 to take me to Basingstoke for a 25 minute wait before 159101, 159009 & 158882 rolled in from London to take me back to Grateley, the end of a fantastic weekend. No issues with my plan, even finishing earlier than expected which is always a bonus.

So Great Britain is cleared, I have alighted or boarded at all 2563 mainline stations, but more, much more than that, I did it my way :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I used to have an Aunty that lived very near Llanfairwhatsit. I really like it around there.
A most enjoyable read Mr Kite, liked the photos too.
Are we there yet? ;)

Edit - Ah, looks like we might be now.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Many, many well deserved congratulations to you Kite on such a massive achievement! :D

Some gorgeous scenes in there, so you did indeed leave some amazingly good ones to end on. All that 150 mileage too, especially on the way home, very nice!

To do all of them properly (I still don't like how All The Stations did it) in 2 and a bit years is just incredible. The cost must have been some insanely huge figure, but what a way to end the mission. I say it a lot, I know, but I am jealous and I know others be.

I'm now playing catchup, although at least I did clear Ireland and Northern Ireland quite some time ag

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am so impressed. I'm amazed at how quickly you did it as well considering that you have a job etc.
I've really enjoyed reading about it Kite especially the last few months as the finish line got closer. Thanks for sharing all of it with us. :D

Established Member
Excellent stuff, as per usual.
I'm jealous of the 156 action, I wish they worked the Kyle line instead of the 158s.
Great photos as well.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thank you all for your kind words. I still need to think what my next challenge is now all the stations are done.

Anyhow, after a long hard think my top 6 stations (in no particular order) are: Achnashellach; Corrour; Exton; Kildonan; Nethertown; Roman Bridge

Last edited:

Established Member
The 20:20 Bangor-New Street originates from one of the through roads.

I assume you expected IC70s as the mk2s ATW used to use had them?

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 20:20 Bangor-New Street originates from one of the through roads.

I assume you expected IC70s as the mk2s ATW used to use had them?

Or it starts from the platform with the unit being temporary held in one of the through roads before shunting over to the platform ;) (Unless ATW has a large plank of wood to bridge the gap). My last time on an ATW coach was back in Feb 15 [on a Cardiff - Newport leap] so my memory was a bit rusty

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A huge congratulations at completing your mission - definitely not an easy task. I'm sure you've inspired many other people to try and clear the shacks in Britain - I'm about 20% through them :lol:

Congrats on completion mate ! What's next for you?
Preserved shacks?
NI and EIRE?
Red pen attack seeing as you're already quite well into those?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Congrats on completion mate ! What's next for you?
Preserved shacks?
NI and EIRE?
Red pen attack seeing as you're already quite well into those?

My red pen will be coming out to play, all that new stock coming into play. I haven't added the IETs for GWR yet, but they will be entered at some point. Similar to the 385s in Scotland when they eventually enter service. (The Heathrow Express unit hidden from view on the attachment is long term out of use 332014)

Next year I will try and visit preserved lines, probably just for coverage more than anything

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 27

Still not many to go.

Thinking in terms of pres, there must be a fair few shacks to add to your list for complete coverage of the UK as well as mainline coverage?

Also, your 2563 is mainline ticks, have you done/got plans for light rail etc?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Still not many to go.

Thinking in terms of pres, there must be a fair few shacks to add to your list for complete coverage of the UK as well as mainline coverage?

Also, your 2563 is mainline ticks, have you done/got plans for light rail etc?

All [modern] light rail in GB was (mostly) ticked off last year :) There are lots of preserved stations out there on preserved lines, as well as Northern Ireland for UK.

AJM580

Congratulations on a massive feat, like others have said it will be interesting to see what's next on the hit list

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I like the idea of covering all the preserved railway stations. It also raises an interesting question:
How small do you go?
Would you cover something like The Beer Heights railway? Or would you say anything above perhaps the 15 inch Romney Hythe and Dymchurch? Or even just standard gauge lines? There must be a lot of just SG stations anyway.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I like the idea of covering all the preserved railway stations. It also raises an interesting question:
How small do you go?
Would you cover something like The Beer Heights railway? Or would you say anything above perhaps the 15 inch Romney Hythe and Dymchurch? Or even just standard gauge lines? There must be a lot of just SG stations anyway.

Good point Mr Cowley, as there are many narrow gauge lines within GB, I will probably draw the line at those standard gauge only with some of the high profile narrow gauge lines. So the likes of the Moor Valley Park Lake Railway probably won't count. But like you said where do you draw the line, as I can recall being on a railtour with an epic basher who would go visit random country parks because there was a half mile long section of line going round a lake.

(Although trust me to pick one I've already covered when I was younger!)

Dhassell

I think that extremely small gauge railways are not worth it. I would call it at the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and Fest Rail.

shredder1

Established Member
How small do you go?

I`m presently trying to cover all the preserved railways, standard and narrow gauge with the larger miniature lines.

Keith Jarrett

So you've reached that magic number of 2,563. Huge, huge congratulations and for the sake of repeating myself, your dedication is inspirational. Given your penchant for bridges, Roman Bridge was definitely an appropriate one to finish with.

Perhaps in 20 years time, many others might have also reported the self same achievement. In fact here's a question for The Guild of Trip Writers and Shack Scratchers - who's the closest now to 2,563?

I think that extremely small gauge railways are not worth it. I would call it at the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and Fest Rail.
You simply have to do the Romney if nothing else - best miniature railway in GB (in my opinion) but you may want to restrict your shack scratching to narrow gauge railways.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks everybody :)

The Romney line is on my list to do.

Hey Quinn - Race you to Kenilworth :P, and just think at least you have an easier way to get to Coventry when that hourly shuttle opens ;)

Assuming Kenilworth opens as schedule on the 10th December, baring any late engineering works, I'm aiming to be on the first service from the Coventry direction

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I echo Keith's comment, the RHDR is good fun and I'm not hugely into narrow guage lines. I think the line should be drawn at anything not in the Baker, at least to begin with. I'd not bother with all the little shacks on these tiny railways, but everyone's different.

To answer Keith's question, I'm not sure personally. I'm out of touch with who's done what, but including light rail I need 802 shacks, and I think that's 774 mainline shacks in England, Wales and Scotland to go. I think 185143's the closest to finishing the lot now.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hey Quinn - Race you to Kenilworth :P, and just think at least you have an easier way to get to Coventry when that hourly shuttle opens ;)

Assuming Kenilworth opens as schedule on the 10th December, baring any late engineering works, I'm aiming to be on the first service from the Coventry direction
You'll win then - I don't want to head out on the Sunday when it's easy to get on a weekday from Leam :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.