Then & Now

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by Ash Bridge, 2 May 2017.

1. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

That's the attitude, well I mean why be bothered about such petty events like that when we had much bigger fish to fry such as the memorable launch of Pacers, Sprinters, Turbos etc. ;)

2. GusB

GusB Member

Indeed. I was over the moon when they launched 156s on my local route. Put me right off trains, that did :)

3. Ash Bridge

Sprinters v 26/27/37s etc. No contest lol!

4. Ash Bridge

Having visited Reddish South Station over the weekend I thought I should provide this pair of shots taken from an identical location on the platform but separated by 43 years.

The 1st image (sorry about the poor scan quality here) from 9th August 1975 shows 47117 heading a southbound Freightliner working diverted from its usual WCML route due to a recent mishap, all semaphore signaling had recently been removed and the signalbox which was situated on the disused island platform (formerly 3&4) alongside the locomotive also sadly demolished soon after decommissioning. The building to the right is the premises of the Standard Railway Wagon Co. (Heywood).

The second shot featuring ex work 150138 shows relatively little change considering the elapsed 43 years since the first, the obvious differences being the usual unchecked growth of lineside trees etc. also the line through here has now been singled with the former platform 2 face now serving both directions. The railway wagon company is long gone but behind the trees the former buildings still exist, although sadly no longer building or refurbishing railway goods vehicles.

Attached Files:

5. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

There does seem to be very little change considering as you say 43 years has passed since you took the original photo.
    In fact a bit of time with a strimmer and a chainsaw plus a chance passing by two tone green 47501 or blue 47580 on a railtour could pass quite well for 1973...
    I suppose the previous ten years before 1973 were the ones that saw some huge rationalisation to the station though.
    Interesting stuff. More please. ;)

6. Ash Bridge

Yes indeed Mr C, as I remember the station lost its brick built street level ticket office and covered steps down to the platforms and the wooden platform building/canopies etc. around late 1968 when BR introduced Paytrain services on the line. Metal steps were then put in place plus the obligatory bus type shelter and electric lights replaced the old gas lamps, the only staff presence left being the signalman in his box. During 1971 the up/down slow lines were taken out of use although they remained in situ for some time afterwards to enable the daily trip working (9T22) to access to the wagon works and also for wagon storage out towards the Denton direction for some distance.

7. L+Y

L+Y Member

I had wondered as to the dates that rationalisation took place through Reddish South- my partner is from the area so I regularly go for a look at trains running through. Plus that 68-75 "steam age but without steam" railway period is one that absolutely fascinates me (born in 1991) so thanks for sharing!

8. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

It’s a very interesting era isn’t it? Lots of old infrastructure still clinging on here and there.
    Mr Bridge thankfully managed to have the foresight to take a few photos of it all back then, and bit by bit we’re able to coax them out of him...

9. L+Y

L+Y Member

Absolutely! I always particularly like the juxtaposition of old and new- blue DMUs on the rump GCR, for example.

10. Ash Bridge

I thought I should add these images of Reddish South viewed in the opposite direction looking towards Stockport.

The first shot (Credited to J. W. Sutherland) dates from 1967 and depicts an arriving Class 108 DMU working a Stockport-Stalybridge service, the first car of which is in an early version of BR blue livery, the second could very likely still be in its original green which was very common through this period. I realise this is a former LNWR location but don't you think there is a somewhat GCR look about this view?

Second shot obviously showing today's somewhat rationalised scene.

Attached Files:

11. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

I agree about the GCR look - many of the GCR stations on the London Extension were Island platforms accessed from a road over-bridge.

12. Ash Bridge

That's also what I had in mind Phil, the girderwork used on the bridges (over & under) throughout this line look to be very similar if not identical to that found on the GC Mainline too.

13. delt1c

delt1c Member

Did I read correct Mr A ? You mentioned Pacers, not Nodding Donkeys. Is this a 1st?

14. Ash Bridge

Haha probably, sorry about that Mr D, just a slip of the tongue! ;)