• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thetrainline valid until

Status
Not open for further replies.

osborn99

Manchester to Aberdare setting off at 9pm 18th July

The valid until date will be 18th July on the ticket, why does thetrainline do this and what if the conductor charges me for the train that sets off on the 19th July 5.30am. I've booked no train, but it's happened twice, luckily the conductor has let me off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What are you asking? If you are asking about ticket information, you need to provide us with more information regarding ticket type, single/return, etc.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The majority of single/return tickets are only valid to start your journey on the date shown on the ticket or a couple of hours into the next day, thetrainline doesn't make the rules.

If, through no fault of the railway, you set off on your journey after that, without purchasing another ticket, you do not hold a valid ticket for your journey.

TicketMan

Assuming you are not using an advance (only other available ticket types are SOS/SVR):

Anytime Singles are valid for travel on the date shown on the ticket. Where a journey cannot be completed within one day, break of journey for an overnight stay is allowed. Where a journey continues into the next day, travel must resume before 1200 and no further break of journey is allowed except for the purpose of changing trains.

The outward portions of Off-Peak Returns are valid for travel on the date shown on the ticket. Where a passenger wishes to stop overnight or the journey cannot be completed within one day, break of journey for an overnight stay is allowed. Where a journey does continue into the next day, travel must resume before 1200 and any relevant time restrictions apply. No further break of journey is allowed except for the purpose of changing trains.

If you are travelling on an Advance ticket, reservations and a journey itinerary will support you in any argument with ticket examiners.

TicketMan

Unless you are on the wrong train......;):lol:

:lol: :lol: you know what I mean!

Given that trains within South Wales are generally unreservable, I was referring to earlier reservations from the night before, which would provide evidence that the journey could not be completed without an overnight stop.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you're not sure which train you're going to get, why not wait until you get to the station to buy the ticket? Unless you buy an Advance ticket, which ties you to a specific train, there is no advantage in buying online (except avoiding queues).

And before island says it, don't use thetrainline- it is always more expensive than buying at the station or a train company's website!

TicketMan

If you're not sure which train you're going to get, why not wait until you get to the station to buy the ticket? Unless you buy an Advance ticket, which ties you to a specific train, there is no advantage in buying online (except avoiding queues).

And before island says it, don't use thetrainline- it is always more expensive than buying at the station or a train company's website!

The OP states he is departing at 9pm, and travelling overnight / with an overnight stop, which is perfectly well allowed. :)

I do agree with the last statement - always buy from your local station and help fight ticket office cutbacks! <D

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The OP states he is departing at 9pm, and travelling overnight / with an overnight stop, which is perfectly well allowed. :)

I do agree with the last statement - always buy from your local station and help fight ticket office cutbacks! <D

I see now, understood that the OP might be starting their journey the following day, which isn't mentioned in the rules. Overnight travel is of course allowed, and if you have trouble then ask the guard to check the conditions of carriage!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

Not strictly true.

Anytime Day tickets allow you to continue your journey beyond 0230 and upto 1200 the next day, but does not mention overnight stays.

Off Peak Day tickets do not mention anything about travel the next day.

Super Off Peak and Off Peak (open) tickets allow travel to resume the next day before 1200, however, travel time restrictions still apply.

TicketMan

Not strictly true.

Anytime Day tickets allow you to continue your journey beyond 0230 and upto 1200 the next day, but does not mention overnight stays.

Off Peak Day tickets do not mention anything about travel the next day.

Super Off Peak and Off Peak (open) tickets allow travel to resume the next day before 1200, however, travel time restrictions still apply.

In this case Anytime Day, Off Peak Day and Super Off Peak tickets are not available - only SOS or SVR as I stated above, the break of journey clauses of which are quoted above. Therefore, as far as this thread goes, it is strictly true!

Surely it's a given that any advice given in a specific thread is relevant only to the journey asked about?

Edit: I did forget to mention that the SVR has an 8A restriction, so can be used anytime without time restriction.

Last edited by a moderator:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
In this case Anytime Day, Off Peak Day and Super Off Peak tickets are not available - only SOS or SVR as I stated above, the break of journey clauses of which are quoted above. Therefore, as far as this thread goes, it is strictly true!

Surely it's a given that any advice given in a specific threa is relevant only to the journey asked about?

I haven't checked the specific fares available, however I also believe it is worth noting that restrictions do still apply, simply saying it is fine could cause a less careful person to wrongly assume they are fine on a ticket.

TicketMan

I haven't checked the specific fares available, however I also believe it is worth noting that restrictions do still apply, simply saying it is fine could cause a less careful person to wrongly assume they are fine on a ticket.

I had, but point taken.

However, in this case, there are no restrictions, so all is well. :D

snail

Established Member
Manchester to Aberdare setting off at 9pm 18th July

The valid until date will be 18th July on the ticket, why does thetrainline do this and what if the conductor charges me for the train that sets off on the 19th July 5.30am. I've booked no train, but it's happened twice, luckily the conductor has let me off.
Our speculations are not helped by the fact that there is no 2100 departure from Manchester to Cardiff (for Aberdare), or one at 0530 the next day.

But if it's not an Anytime return ticket then the previous advice to buy at the station is best, as an Off-Peak or Advance ticket dated 18 July will not be valid for starting the journey at 0530 on the 19th. The outward part of an Anytime return is valid for 5 days from the date shown.

TicketMan

Our speculations are not helped by the fact that there is no 2100 departure from Manchester to Cardiff (for Aberdare), or one at 0530 the next day.

But if it's not an Anytime return ticket then the previous advice to buy at the station is best, as an Off-Peak or Advance ticket dated 18 July will not be valid for starting the journey at 0530 on the 19th. The outward part of an Anytime return is valid for 5 days from the date shown.

Nope, but there is a 21:35, with an 05:26 connection at Cardiff Central the next morning, which I assume (I know assumptions are dangerous) the OP was referring to.

snail

Established Member
Ah, that makes more sense. I don't think the OP has anything to worry about then as it should be obvious to the gripper on the Cardiff departure.

island

Veteran Member
Last I checked an anytime single (SOS) is valid for three days. However, the ticket in question here is an anytime day single (SDS), and as my colleagues have posted above these may be used for a journey continuing overnight subject to certain restrictions, which they also gave.

:D

First class

Established Member
Last I checked an anytime single (SOS) is valid for three days. However, the ticket in question here is an anytime day single (SDS), and as my colleagues have posted above these may be used for a journey continuing overnight subject to certain restrictions, which they also gave.

:D

Any Anytime Single appears to be valid for 1 day only.

I can't see any difference between a SDS and SOS...

island

Veteran Member
Any Anytime Single appears to be valid for 1 day only.

I can't see any difference between a SDS and SOS...

I have had an Anytime Single (SOS) with "THREE DAYS" under "VALIDITY". I'll see if I still have it and try to scan and upload it.

Anytime Day Singles (SDS) are marked with validity "ON DATE SHOWN".

The outbound half of an anytime return (SOR) is generally valid for five days.

Status
Not open for further replies.