• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things that used to be common place in people’s homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoff

On the subject of technology, I wonder if you can still get photography films developed at the chemist. Even proper cameras (as opposed to mobile phone cameras) are downloadable onto PCs nowadays. Remember waiting about a week for the photos to be ready, then being all disappointed that most of them were rubbish! We don't know we're born these days.
I would have added

Slide Projector

but I still have one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
I am puzzled as to why printers are regarded as no longer needed...there are lots of legal requirements for paper documents as anybody who has had to sort out after a death well knows.
That's changing quite quickly. Stuff like probate and powers of attorney seem to be all that requires it now. 99% of corporate documents you can just docusign.

Journeyman

Established Member
I was very grateful for my printer (even though I had to send off for new ink cartridges) at the beginning of the first lockdown, when train companies were still asking you to return your tickets for a refund. Thankfully that didn't last long! Apart from that I use it to print off entry forms for OH's classic car shows, but not much other use.

On the subject of technology, I wonder if you can still get photography films developed at the chemist. Even proper cameras (as opposed to mobile phone cameras) are downloadable onto PCs nowadays. Remember waiting about a week for the photos to be ready, then being all disappointed that most of them were rubbish! We don't know we're born these days.

Most Boots stores still sell film - the last major chain store to do so - and they still have a developing service, although not many stores still have an on-site 1 hour lab. I still shoot a fair bit of film, but I post mine off to a pro lab these days. The remaining high street labs aren't generally very good, as the staff don't really know what they're doing with film, and the risk of mistakes being made is quite high.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I was very grateful for my printer (even though I had to send off for new ink cartridges) at the beginning of the first lockdown, when train companies were still asking you to return your tickets for a refund. Thankfully that didn't last long! Apart from that I use it to print off entry forms for OH's classic car shows, but not much other use.

Indeed. I recall being very frugal taking photographs as each photo cost regardless of how good or bad it was. Now with digital it is just the effort of deleting the inferior ones. You can take several photos of the same think, scene or group and then see which looks best.

najaB

Veteran Member
On the subject of technology, I wonder if you can still get photography films developed at the chemist. Even proper cameras (as opposed to mobile phone cameras) are downloadable onto PCs nowadays.
Not every one, but most larger Boots still do film processing. More than likely sent away overnight, rather than processed on site though.

I am puzzled as to why printers are regarded as no longer needed...there are lots of legal requirements for paper documents as anybody who has had to sort out after a death well knows.

It may be because many documents can be held on a smartphone. My daughters always use (used pre covid) their phones for their flight boarding cards. I never would, I would always take a paper copy. You never know when a phone may fail or run out of power.

A few years ago I was in Germany. A couple on the train were asked for their ticket. They said it was on their phone but the phone battery was flat. The conductor was, I'm afraid, not terribly sympathetic. I don't know how it eventually ended, but what I do know is that you don't have that issue with a paper ticket.

I use a printed copy for all of the copious number of pieces of paper required for a continental holiday, including having to print my own car insurance certificate.

Journeyman

Established Member
It may be because many documents can be held on a smartphone. My daughters always use (used pre covid) their phones for their flight boarding cards. I never would, I would always take a paper copy. You never know when a phone may fail or run out of power.

A few years ago I was in Germany. A couple on the train were asked for their ticket. They said it was on their phone but the phone battery was flat. The conductor was, I'm afraid, not terribly sympathetic. I don't know how it eventually ended, but what I do know is that you don't have that issue with a paper ticket.

I use a printed copy for all of the copious number of pieces of paper required for a continental holiday, including having to print my own car insurance certificate.
Likewise. If it's possible to check in for return flights before I leave home, I like to take everything in a plastic wallet, readily sorted into the order I'm going to need them.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Same with me and train tickets !

Springs Branch

Established Member
I wonder if any members living in Germany (or NL, CH, A & CZ, for that matter) can comment whether the unique German Flachspüler toilets are still being installed into homes.

For example, if renovating the bathroom, does one still need to choose between a Flachspüle and Tiefspüler (conventional rest-of-the-world) model when placing one's order at the bathroom showroom?

I've travelled quite a bit in Germany and modern hotels, workplaces etc. always seem to have conventional lavatories these days, but I wondered what goes on in the privacy of people's homes?

eMeS

I wonder if any members living in Germany (or NL, CH, A & CZ, for that matter) can comment whether the unique German Flachspüler toilets are still being installed into homes.

For example, if renovating the bathroom, does one still need to choose between a Flachspüle and Tiefspüler (conventional rest-of-the-world) model when placing one's order at the bathroom showroom?

I've travelled quite a bit in Germany and modern hotels, workplaces etc. always seem to have conventional lavatories these days, but I wondered what goes on in the privacy of people's homes?
I did the second year, 1958-9, of my National Service in West Germany, and remember the Flachspüler toilets fitted in our German built billets. Apart from the toilets other aspects were of a high standard - particularly the triple glazed windows! (And I remember the shower was a real POWER shower - none of the typical pressure limited UK variety!) After training, I only served in West Germany, so can't say what the UK standards were for similar items at this period.

Gloster

Established Member

They used to be quite common in older buildings in those bits of France that were part of Germany in the late 19th/early 20th century. However, I don’t think that they are normally fitted nowadays: it is rather more of a German obsession.

xotGD

Established Member
Likewise. If it's possible to check in for return flights before I leave home, I like to take everything in a plastic wallet, readily sorted into the order I'm going to need them.
The whole notion. Of 'checking in' has become somewhat ridiculous. It used to mean 'here I am at the airport'. Goodness knows what it is meant to signify now when you can check in for the return before you have left home for the outbound.

eoff

In the drawer behind me I have what is left of a couple of real airline tickets (the ones that had the thin tear-off pages) along with a BA UK flights timetable (which has not been produced for a long time).

trainophile

Established Member
The whole notion. Of 'checking in' has become somewhat ridiculous. It used to mean 'here I am at the airport'. Goodness knows what it is meant to signify now when you can check in for the return before you have left home for the outbound.

I've often wondered that. What if you break down on the way to the airport and don't make the flight? They wouldn't know that they could release your seats for a walk-up hopeful.

Anyone care to explain the above mentioned toilets? Google isn't much help, and it's all in German anyway!

eMeS

I've often wondered that. What if you break down on the way to the airport and don't make the flight? They wouldn't know that they could release your seats for a walk-up hopeful.

Anyone care to explain the above mentioned toilets? Google isn't much help, and it's all in German anyway!
The German toilets discussed above allowed close inspection of one's faeces - I believe it was thought to aid diagnosing certain complaints. All I remember from my National Service year in Germany is that there was much more smell in the loos. I've no idea whether there were any real diagnostic advantages.

trainophile

Established Member
The German toilets discussed above allowed close inspection of one's faeces - I believe it was thought to aid diagnosing certain complaints. All I remember from my National Service year in Germany is that there was much more smell in the loos. I've no idea whether there were any real diagnostic advantages.

Oh thank you, I have heard of those but didn't know the word for them. I expect they thought they were ahead of their time when they introduced them!

najaB

Veteran Member
It basically just means "Yes, I intend to take this flight so don't sell my seat to someone else at a massive mark-up." I don't think I've ever checked in for my return flight before the departure of the outbound, but then I rarely, if ever, make trips that short.
In the older style German toilet, rather than your deposit going directly into a pool of water, it would be left on a shelf from which it would be removed by the flush. I've heard that the reason for this, rather than for allowing inspection, was to avoid splashback onto the nether regions.

eMeS

Oh thank you, I have heard of those but didn't know the word for them. I expect they thought they were ahead of their time when they introduced them!
The illustrations linked above don't show clearly that the pan is sloped at about 30deg - a toilet brush is mandatory...

peters

On Moderation
A chair/stool next to a telephone which didn't have the option of picking up the receiver and walking around with it.

A cooker without a hood over it.

A bathroom consisting of a sink, toilet and bath, with either no shower or a shower you got into the bath to use.

Springs Branch

Established Member
I've seen it written on the Internet (so must be true!) that shelf toilets became popular in countries which ate a lot of cured but uncooked sausages, because poor food hygiene standards in the past meant people were regularly prone to intestinal worms.

Elsewhere on the interweb, there is mention that this style of lavatory has become less popular and a bit niche these days.
Odd really, because with ubiquitous smartphones, any outcome of die Inspektion which requires a visit to Herr / Frau Doktor can now be accompanied not just with a verbal description of the problem, but photographic evidence too, enhancing their utility.
Or maybe there's an app for that?

Darandio

Established Member
Things that used to be commonplace in other people's homes?

Other people and other family members.

takno

Established Member
A bathroom consisting of a sink, toilet and bath, with either no shower or a shower you got into the bath to use.
Isn't this still the majority of bathrooms in the UK? It's certainly true of most of the flats I've been looking at

xotGD

Established Member
The illustrations linked above don't show clearly that the pan is sloped at about 30deg - a toilet brush is mandatory...
Toilet brushes should be banned. Disgusting filthy things.

DelW

Established Member
There isn't much point for tickets which are valid only on a specific flight. However, if you're willing to pay enough, you can buy flexible tickets valid on any flight on the route, which are only assigned to a particular departure when you check in.
If the flight is full, there may be a standby list of passengers already at the airport. Seats will only be released to them (if available) when normal check in closes - you have to be ready for quick boarding. Best to have a plan B if travelling that way! (Been there, done that.)

Getting slightly back on topic, I still have a collection of paper airline tickets and boarding cards from notable trips from years ago.

DB

I'm in my mid-40s and have never written a cheque in my life, never even had a chequebook.

Not sure how you managed that! I'm a few years younger and used to use them not that infrequently. Think I still have a cheque book somewhere but can't remember when I last used it - much be a fair few years ago now.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Anyone mentioned bedroom chamber pots ? - saved people leaving a relatively warm house to go to a freezing or damp outside lavatory. (the latter were often pre-heated with oil stoves / lamps)

Particularly unhygenic ,as it was not unknown for them to be emptied sporadically. (reference to George Orwell and his lodgings in Wigan - where he found a full one , under the kitchen table !)

takno

Established Member
Toilet brushes should be banned. Disgusting filthy things.
Do you have some alternative technology in your house for cleaning toilets? I'm almost certain all houses I've been in still have one of these

Status
Not open for further replies.