• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things we don't see at stations these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescars

You don't see postal workers now, with their own designated cabins on platforms, shifting mailbags into BGs and similar. In connected vein, you don't see much evidence of the other half of the long-lost GPO world either. No coin operated telephones, no serried ranks of call- boxes and certainly no little windows into telegraph offices through which you could send a telegram.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western 52

You don't see postal workers now, with their own designated cabins on platforms, shifting mailbags into BGs and similar. In connected vein, you don't see much evidence of the other half of the long-lost GPO world either. No coin operated telephones, no serried ranks of call- boxes and certainly no little windows into telegraph offices through which you could send a telegram.
No TPO trains either, with their late posting boxes. No mail bag chain conveyors. No post office red vans at stations any more.

Another thing long gone are those posters for Golden Rail holidays.

D6130

Established Member
Not on a station but on the way to either Portsmouth or Weymouth a sign in a field trackside saying " You Are Now Entering Strong Country" or something similar
These were positioned at strategic locations in Hampshire alongside the ex-LSWR main lines advertising the beers brewed by Strong & Co's Romsey brewery. IIRC, the brewery was taken over by Whitbread in the late 1960s or early 1970s, after which the trackside signs rapidly disappeared. However one of them has been restored and re-erected behind the Up platform at Ropley on the Mid-Hants Watercress Line.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
These were positioned at strategic locations in Hampshire alongside the ex-LSWR main lines advertising the beers brewed by Strong & Co's Romsey brewery. IIRC, the brewery was taken over by Whitbread in the late 1960s or early 1970s, after which the trackside signs rapidly disappeared. However one of them has been restored and re-erected behind the Up platform at Ropley on the Mid-Hants Watercress Line.
It has, yes - and I got it in a photo only last month.

1685747801827.jpeg

Western 52

Are there any passenger platforms without white edge lines anywhere now? And it's a long time since you saw station staff painting these lines using a special angled long brush and a bucket of whitewash! I remember some stations where the lines were discontinuous, but I've not seen any recently.

Matey

Not on a station but on the way to either Portsmouth or Weymouth a sign in a field trackside saying " You Are Now Entering Strong Country" or something similar
It was Weymouth. Seen regularly between 1946 qnd 1951. Well placed for roadside viewing too.

xotGD

Established Member
I remember the poster at Darlington station:

Peterlee
The New Town to See

Carbean

Does anyone remember those poster adverts starring Gary Glitter publicising ”Young Persons Railcards”. Think it went “Save a third every time you step on a platform” with retort “ Not those platforms Gary”. As BR also used Jimmy Saville for “Age of the Train” adverts, their advertising agency seemed to recommend certain types of celebs!!

Rescars

Around Whimple many large white signs could be seen from the train proclaiming Whiteways Cider Orchards. All long gone.
In similar vein were those slogans on end walls of buildings adjacent to the tracks, encouraging passengers to live a more spiritual life. As an example a building near my station encouraged London bound passengers to "Get right with God". Similar examples used to be quite widespread. Do many of these still survive?

Matey

In similar vein were those slogans on end walls of buildings adjacent to the tracks, encouraging passengers to live a more spiritual life. As an example a building near my station encouraged London bound passengers to "Get right with God". Similar examples used to be quite widespread. Do many of these still survive?
There was one instance of a poster which proclaimed that "Jesus Saves", to which was added "At the Woolwich!" by some irreverent wag.
In one area the local council proclaimed that "Bill Posters Will be Prosecuted" to which was added "Bill Posters is Innocent!"

Pinza-C55

Video arcade games in station buffets. In 1980-82 they were ubiquitous and sometimes I had to forego Deltic haulage because I had a 2 million score on Galaxian.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Video arcade games in station buffets. In 1980-82 they were ubiquitous and sometimes I had to forego Deltic haulage because I had a 2 million score on Galaxian.
I don't remember seeing video arcade games on stations, although I must admit that there weren't buffets at most of the stations that I used. But mentioning these games brings up a question I've never had answered: what happened to all those Space Invader machines there used to be in pubs and other places? There were thousands of them. All of a sudden they just disappeared; the invaders must have staged a strategic retreat to whence they came!
There's an evangelist church in Cranbury Park Road in Kingston that has a big sign with a religious message for train passengers to see and presumably to reflect upon. (My favourite church sign was one in Kennington near to where I was living in a squat 40 years back: it read in huge letters, 'Jesus in still healing arthritus', which I thought was remarkably specific.) I also remember seeing Bible-bashing posters with a wide range of biblical quotes back in the 1980s; they were posted up on most stations all over south London.
I remember seeing lots of them when coming back from holiday in Devon in the early 1960s. My dad said they were advertising Strong's beer. I read somewhere that in the USA, the Burmashave company used to advertise their shaving products with similar big hoardings, but along the main roads.

greyman42

Established Member
I remember one of those early "tennis" video games in the station buffet at Leeds but it was probably late 1970s.

Henffordd

pitdiver said:

I seem to remember, on the approach to Newport, a sign saying "Welcome to Newport - home of the Mole Wrench". Whatever happened to it?

Rescars

I seem to remember, on the approach to Newport, a sign saying "Welcome to Newport - home of the Mole Wrench". Whatever happened to it?
IIRC this sign was also visible from the M4. Perhaps the moles helped to excavate the motorway tunnels......! :D

Forty29

There was a similar sign/advert on Twyford station (Berkshire) in the 60/70's, but it might have been a different brewery. Seen pictures of it but can't find at the moment.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Virol was a malt extract, regarded as very nutricious for children and came in a brown, barrel shaped glass jar. When I was a kid there were orange and blue enamel advertisements, seemingly on every station...
Thanks for the explanation. Fairly sure an advertising sign for 'Virol' features in at least one exterior scene, filmed at, or in the vicinity of, Carnforth station (a.k.a. "Milford Junction"), in the 1945 feature film "Brief Encounter".

xotGD

Established Member
For some reason I recall that the top scores on the machine in the buffet at Newcastle Central were from a player using the name ProblemChild.

DGH 1

I miss the Beechnut and the Nestlé machines, even if as a child I could only ogle the chocolate bars because they were too expensive.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Banned by the wild animal cruelty laws? o_O

Seriously though, I have a few of them in different sizes, one set definitely made by Mole, and another American brand “Vise grip”. Was it a case of someone’s trademark lapsing and numerous firms making similar devices with different names?

Status
Not open for further replies.