• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things we don't see at stations these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Though there are "cats on seats" still - think of Felix and Bolt at Huddersfield, George at Stourbridge Junction and many more, including non-railway cats who've just popped in for a sit down.
There's a one-eyed tabby called Archie who has been regularly visiting Teddington station for several years. I've seen him several times. Every so often a concerned person asks on a local website if he's lost, and gets the response that he lives locally and likes to visit the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
I remember them being Nestles at St Pancras in the 1970s.
Vending machines dispemsing Paynes Poppets?

Toffee, peanut and raisin I recall as a youngster on Merseyside in the 60s.

Excursion and cheap "Away Day" notices and pamphlets. Posters extolling seaside resorts and other places to visit etc.
There are still quite a few destination posters around on GWR in Devon and Cornwall last week many featuring "the five".

Are there still enthusiasts on stations? I can't remember seeing one this millennium.
Perhaps you have not seen them because they don't stand out as much?

Plenty about saw quite a few whilst wandering round Devon and Cornwall last week.

Matey

Simple word adverts such as Stephens Ink, Lyons Cakes, Nestles Milk, Picture Post and Camp Coffee, which were almost subliminal in their effect. Not forgetting "Suttons Seeds"

Last edited:

Benn White

Who, or what was 'Virol'? :s
Virol was a malt extract, regarded as very nutricious for children and came in a brown, barrel shaped glass jar. When I was a kid there were orange and blue enamel advertisements, seemingly on every station, often dozens of them. I seem to remember the the side wall opposite platform 1 at Waterloo was covered in them. As I said, it was delicious.

Rescars

Established Member
Colman's Mustard was another one. I like it still - even without enamel advertising!

Matey

Virol was a malt extract, regarded as very nutricious for children and came in a brown, barrel shaped glass jar. When I was a kid there were orange and blue enamel advertisements, seemingly on every station, often dozens of them. I seem to remember the the side wall opposite platform 1 at Waterloo was covered in them. As I said, it was delicious.
You can still obtain a similar generic product from chemists and some grocery superstores, described as "Malt extract with Cod liver oil".

xotGD

Established Member
There are two Virol enamel signs (along with many others) at Oakworth station. One of them extolling its benefits for Anaemic Girls.

I think that this thread could easily be renamed "Things you can still see regularly on the KWVR"!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I suspect these were just in Scottish stations, but John Menzies shops and kiosks are something no longer seen since their sale to WH Smith. I rarely bought comics, but a visit to Menzies for a Beano or a Beezer and a puzzle book was essential for a long train journey.

Matey

I suspect these were just in Scottish stations, but John Menzies shops and kiosks are something no longer seen since their sale to WH Smith. I rarely bought comics, but a visit to Menzies for a Beano or a Beezer and a puzzle book was essential for a long train journey.
Datchet had a large free standing timber WH Smith's kiosk on the up platform. Not long after the war it was converted for use an estate agents office. The rebuild of Okehampton station in 1932 included a WH Smith's paper shop off the main building entrance hall on platform 3. The splendid refurbishment by GWR of the station 2 years ago, left the classic sales counter roller shutter in situ.

Now disappeared are the gas wagons for refilling station lighting and gas lit coaches. They often appeared and disappeared from bay platforms and sidings overnight. They were interesting in that many were built using venerable old recycled frames. The ones at Chippenham in the late 1940's seemed never to be of the same build.

AY1975

Established Member
Simple word adverts such as Stephens Ink, Lyons Cakes, Nestles Milk, Picture Post and Camp Coffee, which were almost subliminal in their effect. Not forgetting "Suttons Seeds"
And posters bearing Bible texts, which were presumably put there by some evangelical Christian organisation. You used to see them at a lot of stations in the 1980s but it seems ages since I last saw one.

Sheffield station had a noticeboard with a display of Christian Science literature (i.e. as in Christian Science, the sect) at the foot of the stairs from the footbridge on Platform 6 in the 1980s.
As I recall John Menzies were all over the country, not only in Scotland.

Rescars

Established Member
Yes....the main bookstall on the concourse at Leeds station was operated by John Menzies until the takeover of most of their retail units by W H Smith in the early 2000s.
The John Menzies at Paddington and Bristol TM used to offer an extensive range of railway books, some at remainder prices. I cherish some much loved volumes obtained from these outlets!

My grandpa told me there used to be a nurse on most stations, to help people remove lumps of Ash from their eyes! Don't know if there is any truth in this or not?

Taunton

Established Member
As I recall John Menzies were all over the country, not only in Scotland.
In earlier times there was such an apparent division, that Smith's did England and Menzies did Scotland for station bookstalls, and also for the associated national distribution of newspapers. I seem to recall it broke down when a third provider at English stations, Wymans, was taken over by Menzies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This - collected tickets parcelled and sent to a head office, in this case thrown out of a guard's van onto the platform at Raynes Park in 1983.View attachment 134872
Great photo.

I have a copy of the 1924 London Midland Sottish Railways handbook for ticket collectors. Such a different world to now.

As for things you wouldn't see now, I've not read the whole thread yet so hopefully the following haven't been mentioned yet.

passengers in wheelchairs going into guards' vans at their own risk. I'm sure I read about it being possible in one of the staff handbooks. Fortunately times have changed.... for the better in this case.

National railway stations dealing with Oyster cards. I don't think there are any left.

People being able to request train carriages from stations with 24 hours' notice, including ladies only compartments.

The ability to transport your horse and carriage by rail.

The ability to transport your furniture by rail from a passenger railway station or even goods ones

Goods cranes' in use at passenger railway stations.

Hotels owned by railway companies adjoining a railway station.

Railway company omnibuses to transport people to and from railway stations.

The same applies to ships. No railway company ships to meet you at port railway stations any more.

The signage is badly undersized for the visibility it has. It's overfocused on retail because when you entre the station it is not immediately obvious where the trains are (from all except the entrance facing King's Cross) and the platforms being broken up into 4 groups doesn't help.
The shops are a necessary evil because LCR need to payback the Treasury, but the better option would be something that actually resembles a proper concourse.
What does LCR mean?

zwk500

Veteran Member
What does LCR mean?
London & Continental Railways, the company that owns most of the stations and depot sites that were part of the original Eurostar plans (including regional eurostar), and used to own 40% of Eurostar itself until the sale of that stake by Cameron's government.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I think that this thread could easily be renamed "Things you can still see regularly on the KWVR"!
I doubt one can ring up the KWVR and ask them if they can transport your horse and carriage this weekend. Not that I know, without looking up the details in my stations' handbook, if any of the stations on the line offered facilities for horse and carriage transportation.

Be wonderful if they did. If only for one weekend a year as part of a reenactment of the past.

Morayshire

And posters bearing Bible texts, which were presumably put there by some evangelical Christian organisation. You used to see them at a lot of stations in the 1980s but it seems ages since I last saw one.
Still get these posters at Aberdeen. Don't recall seeing them anywhere else though.

Carbean

I remember how scruffy station stuff used to be compared to those working on stations today. I suppose it was due to all the various jobs they were expected to carry out, loading parcels and mailbags and cleaning waiting rooms and toilets

pitdiver

Not on a station but on the way to either Portsmouth or Weymouth a sign in a field trackside saying " You Are Now Entering Strong Country" or something similar

Taunton

Established Member
I remember how scruffy station stuff used to be compared to those working on stations today. I suppose it was due to all the various jobs they were expected to carry out, loading parcels and mailbags and cleaning waiting rooms and toilets
I remember on the 1960s Dover to Ostend ferry that porters would come on board at arrival once the gangplank was lowered. Arrival at Ostend was impressive, with their bold and immaculate royal blue uniforms with huge gold 'Bagage' epaulets. Return to Dover and even from being a small child then I recall the scruffiest porter, crumpled grey shirt, loose tie, waistcoat open, shambolic demeanour, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.