• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things you don't see in trains any longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matey

ot actually in the train but essential to the operations:
Station Pilots - typically class 08 (some locations I think class 03), to assist with attach and detach moves and shunting of parcels vana and coaches as at e.g. Perth Carlisle and Preston, or to shunt ECS to adjacent carriage sidings e.g. Inverness, or to draw coaches off an arrival to release the loco for the return trip e.g. Edinburgh Waverley. Some stations used main line locos as pilots, Glasgow Central had several class 27s allocated for type f work this work.
I steam days the station pilot, if considered capable, would be used to take over from disabled locomotives on express and other trains if nothing else was available on shed. Quite often the chance for locomotives nearing retirement to have a last fling at some high speed runs, often quite spectacular and well documented.

Dedicated buffet cars
Horse boxes and prize cattle wagons, sometimes attached to passenger trains.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
ot actually in the train but essential to the operations:
Station Pilots - typically class 08 (some locations I think class 03), to assist with attach and detach moves and shunting of parcels vana and coaches as at e.g. Perth Carlisle and Preston, or to shunt ECS to adjacent carriage sidings e.g. Inverness, or to draw coaches off an arrival to release the loco for the return trip e.g. Edinburgh Waverley. Some stations used main line locos as pilots, Glasgow Central had several class 27s allocated for type f work this work.
Doesn't Inverness still use the 08 for the sleeper? The train loco can always propel it back out for the shunt if it needs to of course, but I though the 08 still did bits for them.
Penzance I think also occasionally uses the Long Rock shunter as a pilot for the sleeper, but now the set stables at Reading the occassionaly sight of a Gronk at Paddington has stopped.

Can't think of anywhere else where the depot shunter would come into the station - Derby perhaps?

I steam days the station pilot, if considered capable, would be used to take over from disabled locomotives on express and other trains if nothing else was available on shed. Quite often the chance for locomotives nearing retirement to have a last fling at some high speed runs, often quite spectacular and well documented.
Also used for various odd moves when curves would mean turning the train - AIUI Brighton's pilot found itself leading various formations up to Preston Park to allow the train loco to head towards Hampshire without tripping up over the restricted length of the West curve connection.

Pigeon

Electric bells used to warn passengers etc of an approaching stopping train. Operated from the signal box I believe.

I always thought those were to inform the staff. The ones I heard were always placed where most of the passengers wouldn't hear them very well but the staff would probably hear better, and if the staff were busy indoors they'd not get the sight of the approaching train that the passengers did.

trebor79

Established Member
I always thought those were to inform the staff. The ones I heard were always placed where most of the passengers wouldn't hear them very well but the staff would probably hear better, and if the staff were busy indoors they'd not get the sight of the approaching train that the passengers did.
Before Kins Cross was tarted up there used to be bells that rang just before each departure. I always wondered what they were signalling, and to whom.

PeterC

Established Member
Before Kins Cross was tarted up there used to be bells that rang just before each departure. I always wondered what they were signalling, and to whom.
On the days of slam door stock the bell told the ticket collectors to close the barriers to the platform. In the rush hour at Livrrpool Street there would always be a sudden crush at the gate as people raced unsuccessfully for the departing train.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
In the BTF film This Is York the platform inspector is seen pressing a button labelled Drivers Starting Bell. This illuminates a letter S and rings a bell,the driver then starts away. Presumably an early version of the RA.

AY1975

Established Member
Large coat hooks, for example in Southern Region CIG/BIG/REP/TC EMUs, some CEPs after refurbishment, Mark 1 sleepers and some Mark 2F Open Firsts in as-built condition. The ones in the CIGs/BIGs/REPs/TCs were really elegantly shaped. You could hang just about any kind of coat or jacket on them, whereas the much smaller hooks found on some trains these days are only any good for items of clothing that have a loop to hang them by.

A lot of people tend to use the luggage rack (or an unoccupied seat if there is one alongside or opposite them) rather than a coat hook to put their coat or jacket on, though.

Henffordd

New to this forum, and enjoying some nostalgia.

Hereford had bells, audible to passengers (remember them? not customers) until quite recently, about ten years ago? One, two or three rings, depending whether the train was approaching from Leominster, Ledbury or Pontrilas.

And although others have talked about first class restaurant cars, I don't think anyone has mentioned the BR breakfast they served. I have fond memories of eating those travelling through the Cotswold....

Western 52

Ah yes those breakfasts were good! I sampled them a few times Swansea to Paddington. On one trip we were just behind the power car, and it's rough riding impacted our coach, causing the very nice coffee to slop out of the cups!

rogercov

I have a vague memory of small notices screwed onto the internal wooden panels of Mk1 coaches which said what type of wood it was made from.
Yes, I remember that the wooden panels in the Hastings diesels had small plastic labels stating "Weathered sycamore". Perhaps these have survived in the preserved unit.

Rescars

Ah yes those breakfasts were good! I sampled them a few times Swansea to Paddington. On one trip we were just behind the power car, and it's rough riding impacted our coach, causing the very nice coffee to slop out of the cups!
Should you ever find yourself in this situation again, put your teaspoon into your cup and leave it there. This will act as a baffle and you'll keep most of your coffee out of your saucer!

Rick1984

I can remember a bell at Kilmarnock not so long ago. Only for through trains I think. Not sure when it went

MadMac

I think there were some 2-car DMUs (Derby Class 108s?) assigned to the Cumbrian Coast line which had similar bars fitted to doors. Same reason - limited clearance in a tunnel along that particular route.
Some Newcastle based units had them for the Whitley Bay line.

Yes, I remember that the wooden panels in the Hastings diesels had small plastic labels stating "Weathered sycamore". Perhaps these have survived in the preserved unit.
Some 1st generation DMUs had this.

Last edited:

029C3BB2-0EAC-49DA-84FD-4A858249999C.jpeg
This one is preserved in my house with a coat hook on each side!

Taunton

Established Member
In steam days the station pilot, if considered capable, would be used to take over from disabled locomotives on express and other trains if nothing else was available on shed. Quite often the chance for locomotives nearing retirement to have a last fling at some high speed runs, often quite spectacular and well documented.
Taunton had a Class 08 shunter which acted as pilot, but if short the "spare" loco from the shed would be used instead to cover both functions, often old stalwart 4932 Hatherton Hall. We were away on our own holiday the last week in August of 1962, but fellow spotters said they had seen it substitute for a failed Warship and head westwards proudly saving the day. Unfortunately there was not only a further breakdown ahead at Paignton, but the Hall ran through signals and collided with the rear of it, quite an upset. Despite which it was sent to Swindon, repaired, and returned as fit as ever. Here's a link to notes and pictures of the event (halfway down the page):

Last edited:

Mat17

Orange vestibules
Bournemouth Blue moquette
Ashtrays in the back of seats
Sliding ventilator windows
A door to each seating bay
Chains for passcoms
Guard's vans
A forward view

Western 52

There were BR penalty notice labels stuck near the communication cord chains in MK1 stock. I remember graffiti near one which said:-
If £50 you can afford, then be a devil, pull the cord. If £50 you do not own, then leave the f****** thing alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.