• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Barriers At Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewE

Established Member
How are the pax, who have no interest in Bs and As, supposed to know that?

Going through Brum today on a Virgin train we were warned over the PA before arrival that if changing trains we would be better off crossing bythe bridge at the North or B end rather than using the main concourse. That would have been very helpful if I had been changing there...
A

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Heartland

Ever since automatic ticket barriers were installed at New Street last year, a knowledge of station geography has become a necessity. Something which a stranger is at a disadvantage with. Exit from the A end must be treated carefully, if intending to change from platforms 1-5 to 6-12 as once at the upper level any body wishing to pass between these two zones have to pass through two ticket barriers, whereas a walk to the B zone will find a dispersal bridge that links up all platforms.

That is of course the "open" platforms. Platform 9 is presently not accessible for the on -going refurbishment work. Once 10 and 11 are done, I presume the work on the station will be finished.

As to the east bay, Platform 12, will this be reopened. If lengthened it could hold a 323 or 350 unit, but then sensible station improvement is probably not on Network Rails agenda.

Last edited:

DMU180

By reading the signs that say to do that on the platforms.

I commuted through Birmingham New Street from November 2015 until April 2016 and although there were announcements at intervals there were very few signs and certainly not on every platform. Passengers go to the nearest exit available and anyone who thinks otherwise obviously has no knowledge of travelling habits.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't see how it could have been avoided other than by not having the "city centre" side entrance at all, which would have been a whole lot less convenient, or two sets of stairs to bridge over the ticketed area into the central concourse.

Mr Fizz

I noticed this morning that metal railings have now gone up between Plat12 and the east bay. So no passenger/public access it would seem.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Doesn't help that the layout on National Rail Enquiries still says "concourse due to open 2015".

rdeez

Where I have anytime returns and I'm using the return portion a couple of days past the date of purchase the barriers will always reject it, presumably to check it hasn't been marked and is being reused. Don't know if this is common everywhere.

On a side note a couple of times the ticket machines at the station have failed to chuck out my tickets after purchase, requiring the high-tech solution of someone going behind them and giving them a good bang to release the tickets (and often others that people just abandoned as well)...

robbeech

Established Member
I hopped off a XC service from Reading to New St and then hopped on a VTWC service to Euston on my 1st ALR last week. I am really not familiar with New St Station and had to go through 2 sets of barriers (although the first one was open). Throughout the entire week, the entrance barriers to platform......4? 5? were the ONLY ones that actually accepted my ALR. It had been rejected at everywhere up to that point, eaten at Plymouth, retrieved by a pleasant member of staff there that tried to mimic the accent of the issuing station on my ticket, he did a good job. It was then subsequently rejected everywhere else. Very quickly i sstarted going to a member of staff and showing them the ticket as it wasn't worth holding myself and other passengers up particularly on quick connections.

Rob

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Went through B'ham New St last week and both gates I needed to pass through rejected my ticket (Disabled Adult). I needed the Virgin staff to use their "passes" both times.

Imagine if there was a passageway under the platforms and tracks. It could have lifts up to the platforms and concourse.

It was particularly good if you had luggage. It was years before somebody told me about it. I suppose the passage still exists but I guess is not used.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6Gman

Established Member
Went through B'ham New St last week and both gates I needed to pass through rejected my ticket (Disabled Adult). I needed the Virgin staff to use their "passes" both times.

Were they paying attention?

All too often you have to attract their attention.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Imagine if there was a passageway under the platforms and tracks. It could have lifts up to the platforms and concourse.

It was particularly good if you had luggage. It was years before somebody told me about it. I suppose the passage still exists but I guess is not used.

The 'B' end bridge is continuous across all the platforms and has lifts. At least I think so - just tried to check and rather amazed that the map on National Rail still has "new concourse opening 2015". Email sent to NRE.

sprinterguy

Established Member

It's in daily use by the Crosscountry Catering Service Centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.