• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket on Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

themeone

I've been trying to make a booking today on Virgin Trains East Coast website, but when I get to the delivery bit, only Special Delivery is available.

The ticket is Totton - Branksome return, Totton definitely has facilities to collect the ticket.

As a test I tried another journey of single London Kings Cross - Stevenage, and ToD came up as an option.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
I cannot replicate that on their current website: for a ticket for tomorrow I am offered ticket on departure, and for a ticket for a random date in late September I am offered ticket on departure or first class post or special delivery.

themeone

I booked it eventually using the "new" site, though in all other respects the new booking site seems a complete car crash, comparable to Southern.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I booked it eventually using the "new" site, though in all other respects the new booking site seems a complete car crash, comparable to Southern.

Quite. I haven't had this problem but I'm the two occasions I have tried to use it I have given up and reverted to a 'Classic WebTIS' site.

themeone

So which websites still use the classic WEBTIS interface? I find it by far the easiest, yes all the sites that used to use it - Southern, Southeastern and now it seems East Coast are changing to something almost unusable.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What's so hard?

With Webtis you can see all of the available fares on one page, with the new site there are separate tabs for Advance and Flexible so to make a comparison you have to switch between the two tabs.

Also you have to scroll across in each tab to see all of the fares - Webtis shows 10 fares per tab before you need to scroll across, the new site only shows three.

With webtis it's possible to see the details of 10 services before having to scroll. The new site has seven although in reality you can only see two of them before having to scroll down.

Just makes it that little bit harder to use.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
So which websites still use the classic WEBTIS interface? I find it by far the easiest, yes all the sites that used to use it - Southern, Southeastern and now it seems East Coast are changing to something almost unusable.

c2c
Chiltern
GWR
Hull Trains
TransPennine Express

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For all "proper" Webtis is quite good for those "in the know" and is therefore my preference, I can't see an awful lot that's more intuitive and simple than the traditional Trainline matrix.

themeone

What I hate about all the new booking websites I've used is they force you to select particular trains, even when the fare you're booking doesn't require this.

With classic WebTIS you don't have to select a train unless required by the fare to do so, thus it's clear whether you can travel on any train or not.

The design of the new sites also involves a lot of scrolling - they are clearly designed for mobile devices, which I seldom use.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What I hate about all the new booking websites I've used is they force you to select particular trains, even when the fare you're booking doesn't require this.

But then you go back to the point made on another thread - if you aren't reserving seats, what's the point in purchasing a walk-up ticket in advance? It's just as quick to purchase it from the TVM as to collect a pre-booked one.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
But then you go back to the point made on another thread - if you aren't reserving seats, what's the point in purchasing a walk-up ticket in advance? It's just as quick to purchase it from the TVM as to collect a pre-booked one.

It allows one to select the correct (desired) walk-up ticket at one's leisure, without having to decipher how to find it on a TVM and without the pressure some feel at a TVM to get on with the purchase because there's a queue behind. Plus you can normally position your device (PC, mobile etc) in a way that the sun isn't shining on it unlike some TVMs.

I appreciate for you, me and many on here buying a fairly straightforward walk-up ticket from a TVM isn't a difficult thing to do, but I know others who prefer to select the right ticket ahead of travel rather than do so at the TVM.

themeone

I often both book and collect in advance, then I know I've got everything I need.

Clip

Established Member

I imagine Victoria to be rammed this afternoon therefore I purchased my ticket and picked it up in advance. Thats the point of doing so so that I dont get delayed whilst waiting in a queue

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Another purpose of buying walkups online. I often book walkup tickets online the night before tickets for my partner who doesn't have as good a knowledge of rail fares as I do.

emil

I've been trying to make a booking today on Virgin Trains East Coast website, but when I get to the delivery bit, only Special Delivery is available.

The ticket is Totton - Branksome return, Totton definitely has facilities to collect the ticket.

As a test I tried another journey of single London Kings Cross - Stevenage, and ToD came up as an option.

Why not buy it at the station concerned ? It would be a normal priced ticket anyway. Ticket office open monday to friday 0545 to 10am and there is a TVM to buy tickets outside these hours. No advance tickets available too short of journey for hourly service. Is the journey more than 12 weeks away ? Then post would be the only option online.

dcsprior

I can think of at least 3 reasons:
* If the person paying isn't the person travelling
* If booking online offers cashback/clubcard/etc
* I think that delay repay doesn't apply if the disruption was already known when you purchased your ticket - so leaving buying until you arrive at the station could leave you out of pocket if things go awry

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

emil

I can think of at least 3 reasons:
* If the person paying isn't the person travelling
* If booking online offers cashback/clubcard/etc
* I think that delay repay doesn't apply if the disruption was already known when you purchased your ticket - so leaving buying until you arrive at the station could leave you out of pocket if things go awry

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Not many online sites offer to collect to any card. Most stipulate the original card to collect the TOD. Those that do charge a booking fee.
Also rail warrants most TOC'S can be exchanged by the guard.
Some businesses allow their employees to claim travel back on expenses. Those that dont they would need to pay fees to the retailer.
Cashback/loyalty are not very economical especially if the website charges a booking fee/collection fee.. Would need to make considerable number of journeys. In the hundreds.
Local media and social media always report delays before setting out.
Certainly planned delay repay for First MTR new franchise won't be until late September and only be automatically done for advances online and new mobile e-ticket when introduced sometime in the future. No advance tickets available for short journeys at present.

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
With respect, most of your post is wide of the mark.

Not many online sites offer to collect to any card. Most stipulate the original card to collect the TOD. Those that do charge a booking fee.
I'm afraid that's not correct. Plenty do. I've received 'any card' bookings from VTWC, London Midland, VTEC, CrossCountry and Northern in the last four weeks alone.

None of these required any form of booking fee to be paid. And customer services for most TOCs will set your account to 'any card' upon request.

Furthermore, an increasing number of websites, such as Virgin and LM, are now offering PayPal as a payment method. This returns an 'any card' booking and is free.

Any booking made with TPE, VTEC etc with gift vouchers is also 'any card'; again, no fee.
emil said:
Cashback/loyalty are not very economical especially if the website charges a booking fee/collection fee.. Would need to make considerable number of journeys. In the hundreds.
I'm afraid that's not correct either.

I've amassed over £100 worth of Nectar points on Virgin just from the journeys I've made this year. Bonus points offers (1000 is the most common) have in fact made it very economical. Oh, and no booking/collection fee.
emil said:
Local media and social media always report delays before setting out.
Unfortunately that's not correct either.

As an example, see the recent Virgin cancellations threads (UK Railway Discussion), where disruption was hidden away on the website, or announced less than an hour before departure, or in some cases not announced at all. Local media certainly don't report rail delays unless it's something massive - they'd have no airtime/space for anything else if they covered each delay of 10 minutes or more.
emil said:
Certainly planned delay repay for First MTR new franchise won't be until late September and only be automatically done for advances online and new mobile e-ticket when introduced sometime in the future. No advance tickets available for short journeys at present.
Eh? Every VTWC advance booked with VTWC currently offers automatic delay repay. Have done for ages.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I certainly hope you haven't had an any card collect ToD from the VTEC sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you mean that it's not standard practice, a Nectar code formed part of the payment so that's probably why it came out any card.

CrossCountry is always any card though, no matter how I pay

themeone

Going back to my original post, there seems no logical reason why I wasn't offered collection on this booking. I reported the matter to Virgin Trains East Coast, but have not yet received any response.

emil

Going back to my original post, there seems no logical reason why I wasn't offered collection on this booking. I reported the matter to Virgin Trains East Coast, but have not yet received any response.
If you are trying to book Sunday 17th September then engineering work is scheduled until 0910 between Eastleigh and Totton. Replacement bus times have not been updated. Tried sat 16th and Monday 18th and Tod is available. Just the timetable will be amended for bus connections nearer the time. Hope this helps.

emil

With respect, most of your post is wide of the mark.

I'm afraid that's not correct. Plenty do. I've received 'any card' bookings from VTWC, London Midland, VTEC, CrossCountry and Northern in the last four weeks alone.

None of these required any form of booking fee to be paid. And customer services for most TOCs will set your account to 'any card' upon request.

Furthermore, an increasing number of websites, such as Virgin and LM, are now offering PayPal as a payment method. This returns an 'any card' booking and is free.

Any booking made with TPE, VTEC etc with gift vouchers is also 'any card'; again, no fee.

I'm afraid that's not correct either.

I've amassed over £100 worth of Nectar points on Virgin just from the journeys I've made this year. Bonus points offers (1000 is the most common) have in fact made it very economical. Oh, and no booking/collection fee.

Unfortunately that's not correct either.

As an example, see the recent Virgin cancellations threads (UK Railway Discussion), where disruption was hidden away on the website, or announced less than an hour before departure, or in some cases not announced at all. Local media certainly don't report rail delays unless it's something massive - they'd have no airtime/space for anything else if they covered each delay of 10 minutes or more.

Eh? Every VTWC advance booked with VTWC currently offers automatic delay repay. Have done for ages.
The Op is traveling in south west trains region. Delay repay is not available at present. Compensation under passenger charter for delays over an hour. It's not automatic either you have to apply for it.

xotGD

Established Member
Another purpose of buying walkups online. I often book walkup tickets online the night before tickets for my partner who doesn't have as good a knowledge of rail fares as I do.

The number one reason has to be that you can have an extra 5 minutes in bed if you already have your ticket in your pocket.

In my case it allows me to start my journey at 'B' on a day return from 'A' to 'C' via 'B'. I doubt that the machine would be keen to sell me that.

themeone

If you are trying to book Sunday 17th September then engineering work is scheduled until 0910 between Eastleigh and Totton. Replacement bus times have not been updated. Tried sat 16th and Monday 18th and Tod is available. Just the timetable will be amended for bus connections nearer the time. Hope this helps.

Sorry I should have said the ticket was for today, so it's all in the past now.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The TVMs at York are extremely slow to use now, so it is probably wise to buy tickets in advance. Many booking sites have the option to leave the return "open", but I can't see such an option on the TVMs. Maybe there's an option to just buy the ticket and be done with it, but it wasn't immediately obvious...

takno

Established Member
The TVMs at York are extremely slow to use now, so it is probably wise to buy tickets in advance. Many booking sites have the option to leave the return "open", but I can't see such an option on the TVMs. Maybe there's an option to just buy the ticket and be done with it, but it wasn't immediately obvious...

There was a workaround mentioned in the thread on Edinburgh TVMs - something about tapping the name of the ticket when it appeared rather than selecting a train. I haven't tested it because the other thing that got mentioned was that a couple of machines in Edinburgh are still using the old software...

hassaanhc

Established Member
Just a few minutes ago I tried using the Chiltern website to buy Birmingham Moor Street to London Marylebone and return Advance tickets with PlusBus add-on (the £2 offer). When just the rail tickets were selected, the website allowed me to use Ticket on Departure collection. However, as soon as I added the PlusBus tickets to the booking, the only option available was to send the tickets by post :idea:.

Using the Virgin Trains East Coast website to buy identical tickets allowed me to use Ticket on Departure collection :)

Status
Not open for further replies.