• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Timetable's changing. You can't have one."

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
It does not need to leave your hand, nor your wallet for someone to take £30 from it ! and those £30's can add up ! People say use your smart phone, nut millions don't have a smart phone, or even want one, a bog standard mobile phone is all they want or need.
Yep, and most are from an older generation (as in, over 50).
Plus, my phone alerts me when it's made a contactless payment.
Plus, while it may happen occasionally, there aren't millions of stories of people's cards being swiped and people loosing money left right and centre. No. People who choose NOT to pay by contactless waste my time typing in their pin.
In addition, if there has been some sort of fraud, the bank will usually refund anyway.

And look at the right old mess those with TSB accounts are in, and 5 weeks on its still not sorted ! and it something that will only get worse not better,
I have a TSB account and nothing affected me.
They have over 5 million accounts. I bet less than 500,000 are affected. But take the guy who "watched his account hit £0" <-- if he didn't have internet banking, he wouldn't have known.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dentonian

Established Member
Yep, and most are from an older generation (as in, over 50).
Plus, my phone alerts me when it's made a contactless payment.
Plus, while it may happen occasionally, there aren't millions of stories of people's cards being swiped and people loosing money left right and centre. No. People who choose NOT to pay by contactless waste my time typing in their pin.
In addition, if there has been some sort of fraud, the bank will usually refund anyway.

Is your favourite film Logan's Run by any chance?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I finally managed to pick up South Yorkshire paper timetables at Meadowhall last week. However it's clear that Northern clearly don't want people to use paper timetables judging by this poster (which is also reproduced in the timetable booklet).

As others have pointed out, not everyone has or wants a smartphone. I do have one but find trying to read timetables on a small screen incredibly fiddly. In order to fit a page on the screen you have to shrink it so it's too small to read, if you increase the magnification it won't all fit on one screen, meaning that you're constantly scrolling across to make sure the times are on the same line as your departing station. My local station timetable (number 33) has a whopping 32 pages so on a mobile you also have to scroll back and forth several times to ensure the page you want is for the correct day of the week and direction.

In comparison with a paper timetable it takes seconds to find the page you want, you can view all the information at once and you don't need a fully-charged battery or internet connection to view it any time you like.

Progress? I don't think so. All too often these days people seem to use technology simply because it's cool and trendy rather than because it offers a practical improvement.

Attachments

• Northern Go Digital poster.JPG
    Northern Go Digital poster.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 24

Dentonian

Established Member
I finally managed to pick up South Yorkshire paper timetables at Meadowhall last week. However it's clear that Northern clearly don't want people to use paper timetables judging by this poster (which is also reproduced in the timetable booklet).

As others have pointed out, not everyone has or wants a smartphone. I do have one but find trying to read timetables on a small screen incredibly fiddly. In order to fit a page on the screen you have to shrink it so it's too small to read, if you increase the magnification it won't all fit on one screen, meaning that you're constantly scrolling across to make sure the times are on the same line as your departing station. My local station timetable (number 33) has a whopping 32 pages so on a mobile you also have to scroll back and forth several times to ensure the page you want is for the correct day of the week and direction.

In comparison with a paper timetable it takes seconds to find the page you want, you can view all the information at once and you don't need a fully-charged battery or internet connection to view it any time you like.

Progress? I don't think so. All too often these days people seem to use technology simply because it's cool and trendy rather than because it offers a practical improvement.

I'm 100% with you on this. Apart from all the other arguments made on the subject, I note reception for such as Network Rail RTI has deteriorated badly recently, such that my App takes minutes to load instead of seconds in the morning.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I would have to if I got one, yes, but I can't remember when I last received a cheque (although I have written one in the last three years).

You can pay in cheques at Post Offices or post cheques to your bank with a paying-in slip.

I've had two this week, one from my elderly mother and one for expenses from a charity I volunteer for.

whhistle

On Moderation
Oh diddums. Life's not a race, you know :p ;)
No, it's not.
But I'm a little bit selfish. I'd rather be as efficient as possible in life to maximise the leisure time I have.

I don't want to be stuck behind someone who could use contactless but decide not to, because they think it's "unsecure" despite it already being forced upon them and makes no difference if they type in a pin or not.

farleigh

No, it's not.
But I'm a little bit selfish. I'd rather be as efficient as possible in life to maximise the leisure time I have.

I don't want to be stuck behind someone who could use contactless but decide not to, because they think it's "unsecure" despite it already being forced upon them and makes no difference if they type in a pin or not.
Yes - I once lost an entire seventeen seconds because somebody was typing in a pin.
I will never get that back you know.

al78

Established Member
People who choose NOT to pay by contactless waste my time typing in their pin.

It takes me all of two seconds to enter my pin, which is about a second longer than waving my card over a machine until it registers. What will you do with the whole second you save by me paying contactless? If someone is really wasting your time by typing in a pin, then it is very likely they are the sort that does everything slowly, so they will waste your time regardless.

That was quite an extreme way of overstating your case.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
No, it's not.

For someone who wants to maximise their leisure time you seem to have wasted an awful lot of it spouting nonsense on this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.