• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tiverton Parkway [TVP] - London Paddington [PAD] / Waterloo [WAT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi all i was wondering if you could help me
I intend to travel from Tiverton Parkway - London Waterloo on the 11th April 2012 for the london challenge but would like to know the cheapest child RTN avilible and also times and any changes

Thanks All
Ollie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Hi all i was wondering if you could help me
I intend to travel from Tiverton Parkway - London Waterloo on the 11th April 2012 for the london challenge but would like to know the cheapest child RTN avilible and also times and any changes

Thanks All
Ollie

What time do you need to be there?

I think it might be AP's for you as a SOR is £110 and the SVR from Tiverton is only valid to London, from there from 08:30 or on the 07:37 or 07:56.

Splitting this to arrive before say 10:00 might mean pulling a rabbit out of the hat to save much.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The cheapest child return is:

Super Off Peak Return £36.50
(to London Terminals)

However this will not get you to Waterloo in time for the Challenge, therefore a combination of tickets will be required.

An Off Peak Return would get you there earlier, but still not early enough.

Therefore, to answer your question regarding the cheapest child return, the price is a rather shocking £113. You require a Travelcard to do the Challenge (and also bear in mind a return to London Terminals would only get you to Waterloo if you changed at Exeter or Reading for a SWT service!), you can get an inclusive Travelcard for only 50p more, but I am sure we can beat £113.50 by suggesting a combination of tickets (aka "splitting").

No-one has yet devised a program that can calculate the cheapest combination of tickets, so any replies below (I'll leave it to people who are based around that area) are not guaranteed to be, as you request, the "cheapest".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What time do you need to be there?
The recommended arrival time for the Challenge is 1030 at Waterloo (if arriving into Paddington I'd suggest arriving into PAD by 1000).

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
As a very quick reduction £32.55 from Exeter to London route; via Honiton SVR arr into London after 10:00 and stright into Waterloo.

Plus £2.85 SDR Tiviton Parkway to Exeter St Davids

Total £35.40

Which is quite reasonable for that distance I think.

£36.50 for the travelcard, plus the £2.85

Total £39.35

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
As a very quick reduction £32.55 from Exeter to London route; via Honiton SVR arr into London after 10:00 and stright into Waterloo.

Plus £2.85 SDR Tiviton Parkway to Exeter St Davids

This may be a good one to try. Alternatively, considering splitting at Westbury and travelling via Salisbury (which is about £2 more).

wintonian

Established Member
The £2.85 plus a Exeter to Clapham Junction SVR route via +Honiton £33.00

Total £35.85

Then a zone 1-4 travelcard for £3.20 I think

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Times to get you to Waterloo on SWT, don't know ticket validity on these though:

EXD - 0510 / 0641 / 0726
WAT - 0846 / 1019 / 1049

wintonian

Established Member
Times to get you to Waterloo on SWT, don't know ticket validity on these though:

EXD - 0510 / 0641 / 0726
WAT - 0846 / 1019 / 1049

Well it will have to be the 05:10 from St Davids for the OP then for my ideas to be valid. :(

But it does tell us that we will have to look for something via Taunton instead.

wintonian

Established Member
06:51 dep Tiverton - Westbury arr 07:45

08:01 dep Westbury - Salisbury arr 08:32

08:47 dep Salisbury - Waterloo arr 10:19

£15.50 SOR Tiverton Parkway - westbury

£25.40 SVR (US) Westbury - London route Warmster-Salsbry valid on trains arr into London at or after 10:00, no restriction is mentiond for Westbury to Southampton.

£40.90

Then buy a zone 1-4 in London.

Ivo

Established Member
06:51 dep Tiverton - Westbury arr 07:45

08:01 dep Westbury - Salisbury arr 08:32

08:47 dep Salisbury - Waterloo arr 10:19

£15.50 SOR Tiverton Parkway - westbury

£25.40 SVR (US) Westbury - London route Warmster-Salsbry valid on trains arr into London at or after 10:00, no restriction is mentiond for Westbury to Southampton.

£40.90

Then buy a zone 1-4 in London.

Something wrong with a CDR (for WSB - WAT)? ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can replace the £25.40 SVR to London Terminals, with a CDR to Clapham Junction for £20.40. The Travelcard (that would need to be purchased anyway) can be used from Clapham Jn. That is, of course, assuming the train calls at Clapham Jn.

wintonian

Established Member
Something wrong with a CDR (for WSB - WAT)? ;)

Yes £25.40 was easier to add up. ;)

CDR £22.55
You can replace the £25.40 SVR to London Terminals, with a CDR to Clapham Junction for £20.40. The Travelcard (that would need to be purchased anyway) can be used from Clapham Jn. That is, of course, assuming the train calls at Clapham Jn.

Which I think all SWT Exeter/ Salisbury services do, but this one ceartainly does.

Ivo

Established Member

Exeter trains serve Clapham Junction; Salisbury trains do not. The 0847 calls at CLJ at 1009. However, the 1750 ex-WAT (the likely return service) is fast to Basingstoke, so use of an alternative service to BSK - or the 1820 ex-WAT - is recommended.

wintonian

Established Member
Exeter trains serve Clapham Junction; Salisbury trains do not. The 0847 calls at CLJ at 1009. However, the 1750 ex-WAT (the likely return service) is fast to Basingstoke, so use of an alternative service to BSK - or the 1820 ex-WAT - is recommended.

Ok obviously Salisbry ones don't call at clapham then.

£18.65 CDR (UO) Westbury to Peckham Rye route; Warmster-Salsbry.

Then a travelcard from clapham Junc.

Ivo

Established Member
Im all confused LOL

Put simply, a ticket to CLJ will help in the morning - but not in the evening. For the saving you would make, unless you know how to excess a ticket (and excessing is permitted in instances where you do not call at the initial destination) it isn't worth the trouble. A good one to remember though!

wintonian

Established Member
Westbury to Peckham Rye should be valid on trains arriveing into London at or after 10:00.

I think Avantix has it wrong.

Attachments

• uo.JPG
    uo.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 9

David Goddard

Established Member
your £2.85 Anytime Day Return from Tiverton to Exeter, plus £36.50 for an Off Peak Day Travelcard from Exeter, valid on the 0641 that arrives Waterloo 1019.

If you can get a lift to Honiton then you can pick up the same train at 0711 for £31.85 Off Peak Day Return or £36.05 travelcard.

wintonian

Established Member
your £2.85 Anytime Day Return from Tiverton to Exeter, plus £36.50 for an Off Peak Day Travelcard from Exeter, valid on the 0641 that arrives Waterloo 1019.

If you can get a lift to Honiton then you can pick up the same train at 0711 for £31.85 Off Peak Day Return or £36.05 travelcard.

You are right I ment the 06:41 from Exeter above, the ticket wouldn't be valid on the earler one.

Ivo

Established Member
I think it's safe to say the best option is the 1019 into WAT (0641 ex-EXD; 0847 ex-SAL). It's just a case of the best ticket for the job.

wintonian

Established Member
I think it's safe to say the best option is the 1019 into WAT (0641 ex-EXD; 0847 ex-SAL). It's just a case of the best ticket for the job.

Or pretty much the only option to get there on time without buying silly priced SOR's/ SDR's.

Another maybe simpler option is the £2.85 to Exeter and a 34.60 CDR (UO) Exeter - Peckham Rye route; +via Honiton valid (as above) on trains arr into London Waterloo at or after 10:00.

This will allow you to pick up a £3.20 zone 1-4 travelcard at Waterloo.
Then you could take the 06:41 from Exeter and stay on untill Waterloo

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm surprised that no one has bothered to check Advance fares.

@OP

If you want to go down the Great Western Main Line with FGW for a faster journey time rather than with SWT then there are currently some reasonably-priced Advance fares available however they can sell out so you need to be quick. Please note that you can only travel on your reserved trains with an Advance ticket, otherwise you will be liable to pay for a brand new ticket.

Tiverton Parkway (06:51) - London Paddington (09:21) is currently priced at £14.

London Paddington (20:35) - Tiverton Parkway (22:50) is currently priced at £8.

If you want to return earlier, a number of other trains are priced currently, quite reasonably, at various amounts up to £14.

These can be bought at www.southernrailway.com

You will need to make arrangements for travel within London, such as by buying a travelcard. See MikeWh's excellent advice here.

wintonian

Established Member
well I did suggest it might be an option, but looking at advances isn't nearly as fun

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Established Member
Hi guys (again)
im wondering if you can help ?

I am looking at Travelling from Tiverton Parkway - Paddington Child RTN on April 11th with my friend Travelling from Worle to meet me at Taunton probably.
Times and Fares please also for Travelling inside london for some Photting

Thanks All

Ollie
can i just say this is instead of travelling to WAT sorry

David Goddard

Established Member
Depends how early you want to get up there.

An Off Peak Day Travelcard will get you into London at 11:24.
ou can arrive in London at 10:02 with a split of Anytime Return to Reading 84.00 + Off Peak Travelcard from Reading 10.85 totalling £94.85, saving twenty quid over the travelcard from Tiverton.

An Off Peak ticket is valid from Reading on this train (0505 ex Penzance), but not from further West.

Status
Not open for further replies.