• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC's that hand out their own Card Holders (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James2810

I noticed there was a forum on this but it was quite old. I recently went around London spotting at various stations: King's Cross, St Pancras, Farringdon, Blackfriars, London Bridge, Liverpool Street, Stratford and Victoria. These are the TOC's that I got card wallets from, it should be noted that I didn't try SWR, Virgin and GWR.

• Southeastern
  • TFL
  • Greater Anglia

LNER said that they normally had them but they had run out.

Please add any you have got below

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When you say “card holders” and “card wallets,” are you talking about ticket wallets?

James2810

When you say “card holders” and “card wallets,” are you talking about ticket wallets?
Not sure, the plastic things that you can keep smartcards or tickets in that you get at stations. Standard one is network rail blue

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure, the plastic things that you can keep smartcards or tickets in that you get at stations. Standard one is network rail blue
Yes, they are commonly known as ticket wallets. Never heard the terminology card holder or wallet. Not trying to be pedantic here just wanted to make sure I understood the question!

I find often that most Tocs seem to produce them, it’s just that often the stocks vary between ticket offices, with often some only handed out in certain locations and others for special events, such as promotions.

Designs can often change also, so an individual Toc might have produced one in the past but has either stopped doing it altogether or changed the design. In addition to the ones mentioned, I’ve got GWR, Chiltern Railways (both standard and one branded for the Mainline service) and CrossCountry.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I've never heard them called ticket wallets. I've always know them as bus pass holders. One side for the pass, the other for the photocard.

James2810

East Midlands do for their smart cards. Got 2 of them
Where and how long ago did you get them
Yes, they are commonly known as ticket wallets. Never heard the terminology card holder or wallet. Not trying to be pedantic here just wanted to make sure I understood the question!

I find often that most Tocs seem to produce them, it’s just that often the stocks vary between ticket offices, with often some only handed out in certain locations and others for special events, such as promotions.

Designs can often change also, so an individual Toc might have produced one in the past but has either stopped doing it altogether or changed the design. In addition to the ones mentioned, I’ve got GWR, Chiltern Railways (both standard and one branded for the Mainline service) and CrossCountry.
Ah ok, I mostly use them for debit cards and stuff, very rarely tickets haha. Could you send photos of the ones you mentioned? I didn't know that those tocs did them

Saperstein

TfW have been giving out the one with the British Transport Police design on it.

Merseyrail were giving out clear plastic ones when I last tried at Fazakerley and Liverpool Lime Street. I’m sure they used to give out yellow ones?

Greater Anglia send you one in their colours if you order a ITSO smartcard from them, as do Chiltern.

Saperstein.

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
LNER gave me one at Newcastle last week when I bought a rover off them. It used to be National Rail ones back in the day...

vlad

Northern and ScotRail hand out own designs at their stations. I believe TPE ones exist also.

I was given a blue National Rail one at the ticket office at Inverness last month. I'm feeling left out!

On Moderation
They said that they were out of stock when I asked, not sure if they genuinely were or didn't want to give them out
Don't forget the EMT franchise ends in just over a month, so not really surprising that they may be out of stock - they're not going to order any more!

sciisfun

Have an old blue fade First great western one kicking about somewhere, and a nice GWR Green leather one as well, admittedly I did buy that one from GWR

James2810

TfW have been giving out the one with the British Transport Police design on it.

Merseyrail were giving out clear plastic ones when I last tried at Fazakerley and Liverpool Lime Street. I’m sure they used to give out yellow ones?

Greater Anglia send you one in their colours if you order a ITSO smartcard from them, as do Chiltern.

Saperstein.
For my Greater Anglia one I just asked at Liverpool Street ticket office

Established Member
Asked if ScotRail do ticket wallets at Glasgow Queen Street a few years back on my first trip North of the border.

"Aye pal, how many are ye wantin'?" Was the reply and I was given plenty! Other TOCs have said they'd give me one when I renewed my railcard/season ticket, so it seems to depend who you speak to!

Established Member
TfL Rail, specifically them and not wider TfL, has a number of different designs in circulation but they're not widely distributed so consider them 'limited edition'. One usefully is a map of TfL Rail and alternative routes to take between stations in the event of disruption.

James2810

Asked if ScotRail do ticket wallets at Glasgow Queen Street a few years back on my first trip North of the border.

"Aye pal, how many are ye wantin'?" Was the reply and I was given plenty! Other TOCs have said they'd give me one when I renewed my railcard/season ticket, so it seems to depend who you speak to!
TfL Rail, specifically them and not wider TfL, has a number of different designs in circulation but they're not widely distributed so consider them 'limited edition'. One usefully is a map of TfL Rail and alternative routes to take between stations in the event of disruption.
The one I've got is a standard oyster holder

Crossover

Established Member
TPE certainly have had them (I have had a few and my current main one is a TPE one). It has been known for the ticket offices to run out though and at my local TPE station I have before had a mixture of the National Rail one and clear ones

plugwash

Established Member
I've never heard them called ticket wallets. I've always know them as bus pass holders. One side for the pass, the other for the photocard.
The rail ones I've seen are three compartment, I presume this is to allow a railcard, a photocard and a ticket to be displayed together.

I didn't try.... Virgin
Virgin ones have certainly existed in the past, but the last one I got from a Virgin ticket office (man pic) was a national rail one, so not sure if they are still doing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.