• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Toilets on locomotives

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighlandSpot

Hello all,

I'm sure this isn't a typical inaugural post for a new member, but I'm fascinated with loco anatomies. Does anyone on here know where the toilet is located inside the cab of an old Class 42? I know on the Deltics they were placed in the nose compartment of cab no. 2, but what of the Warships? What other facilities did they have inside (wash basins, cookers...)? I've not had the pleasure of exploring inside one of them yet.

Also, if anyone knows the same about Class 25s, I'd be very interested in learning.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hello all,

I'm sure this isn't a typical inaugural post for a new member, but I'm fascinated with loco anatomies. Does anyone on here know where the toilet is located inside the cab of an old Class 42? I know on the Deltics they were placed in the nose compartment of cab no. 2, but what of the Warships? What other facilities did they have inside (wash basins, cookers...)? I've not had the pleasure of exploring inside one of them yet.

Also, if anyone knows the same about Class 25s, I'd be very interested in learning.

Thanks!
Try the Barrowmore Model Railway Group website, they have a freely available selection of British Rail diagram books (plans of rolling stock essentially) and these will sometimes give a detailing of loco internal arrangements.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Toilets on locos!
Never heard of that one, we certainly didn't have them on the Southern Region.
Whatever next?
Most of the 1950s/60s diesels and some electrics had just a urinal, but a few had a proper toilet and washbasin.

delt1c

Established Member
I did not know! Do you know if the warships had urinals or a proper toilet?
Believe that peaks had proper toilets in the engine compartment. Also most mainline locos had cookers in the cabs

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wow, didn't know that.
Only ever on the footplate of 09's, 33 & 73's.
Oh and one 47.
47s had a urinal from memory, I doubt any shunting locos were equipped though.

I did not know! Do you know if the warships had urinals or a proper toilet?
The D800s I believe had a toilet at the No. 2 end; posher than Deltics which only had a urinal.

Also most mainline locos had cookers in the cabs
Though I the impression that like the heating boilers reliability of them was hit and miss.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember being fascinated by this subject as well after seeing a toilet on a loco diagram as a kid. I think it might have been a Peak.

This begs the question as to whether any class of loco had a urinal at the no 1 end and a wc at the no 2 end!

HighlandSpot

Here's a cutaway of a Deltic cab no. 2, toilet is in the nose compartment. Does anyone have a cutaway of a warship or class 25 they can post?

Attachments

• Deltic cab no 2 cutaway .png
    Deltic cab no 2 cutaway .png
    1.7 MB · Views: 448

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Here's a cutaway of a Deltic cab no. 2, toilet is in the nose compartment. Does anyone have a cutaway of a warship or class 25 they can post?
Looking at that I think I’d hang on until I got to a station!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Interesting, I always thought the Deltucss only had a urinal. A toilet and washbasin is much more like the other long-distance earlier diesel classes.

david1212

Established Member
I can't recall specifically but recall reading of issues found during preservation repairs / rebuilding caused by years of urine flow and it collecting in hollows / pockets. Also because the urinal was so inaccessible on the move alternative locations used ?

HighlandSpot

Did Class 25s have a urinal or toilet installed in their cabs? Also, does anyone have a link to a cutaway diagram of a warship?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Did Class 25s have a urinal or toilet installed in their cabs? Also, does anyone have a link to a cutaway diagram of a warship?
Must admit that I’ve been looking and I can’t find anything.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Looking at that Deltic toilet were they flushable and where did the water supply come from. On a happy note being sat next to the traction motor blower you’d needn’t worry about any smells entering cab when exiting.

No sign of any having been any in ours.

Spartacus

Established Member
Looking at that Deltic toilet were they flushable and where did the water supply come from.

Given it's location I'm more concerned with where it went. In the wrong place I guess you could have made enemies of shunters very quickly!

Taunton

Established Member
The concept of having the facility in the nose originated in the USA. The very first GM FT units in the late 1930s had it in the main engine room, but the way the air intake was done before sealed air filters came along, when you applied full power the air pressure in the engine room dropped, particularly if the (manual) radiator shutters were closed, with unfortunate results on the toilet contents, and particularly on any user at that moment, so it was moved into spare space in the nose. British designers just followed on.

I believe a similar pressure differential issue afflicted some recent British passenger stock.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Not quite what the op asked for but the link below confirms that the North British class 41 Warships were certainly equipped with a full sized toilet in the engine room right alongside one of the power unit dynastarers! The class 42/43 Warships definitely had a food warmer as the 3rd from the end top row of switches (pictured) is labelled as such, although where it was located I do not know. Regarding toilet location on these I seriously doubt it was forward of the driving cab as the switches and further instruments continue all the way across to the second man’s position

Attachments

• F056544F-5C81-4BEA-9B45-7A684D964AEF.jpeg
    F056544F-5C81-4BEA-9B45-7A684D964AEF.jpeg
    571.8 KB · Views: 172

Trackman

Established Member
Interesting, I always thought the Deltics only had a urinal. A toilet and washbasin is much more like the other long-distance earlier diesel classes.
I've seen them when I did a 'survey' on Deltics shortly after withdrawal.
They looked nothing like the cut-away picture above, in fact you it took you a couple of minutes to suss out what it was. It indeed had a wash basin just above. Could have been an urinal only, but I'm sure it had a seat. It was very compact.
Did Class 25s have a urinal or toilet installed in their cabs?
I'm guessing the same as class 40's - Buckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.